Do you harbour prejudices against people who use drugs?

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
CrystalViolet said:
Ravesy said:
At the end of the day its addictive,
Not all drugs are addictive and potentially addictive drugs can be used responsibly.

Ravesy said:
against the law,
I personally could not give the dregs of a fuck that it's against the law. I worked in law enforcement for two years and I'm more ashamed of the things I was part of during those two years than all other events in my life combined. Criminalising drug use is immoral, impractical, and I would even go so far as to say evil. It does far more harm than good. 100 years ago having a sexual relationship outside marriage was against the law. In hindsight we can see how stupid that was.

Ravesy said:
has an effect on your personality
Excessive use of some drugs, yes. Same with a lot of things. I like to think they haven't radically affected mine, err, my fictional character's.

Ravesy said:
and makes a lot of other people feel uncomfortable.
Why does this matter? Homosexuality also makes a lot of people "uncomfortable". If what I do in the privacy of my home makes people uncomfortable, it's their problem. That is assuming it's not affecting other people.
I think the key with all of these points is that they are just my opinion based on what i've witnessed. I'm sure you are a lot more responsible with what ever you use than my two examples, so a large part of what I have said isn't relevant.

Some drugs aren't addictive, but a vast majority of the ones we are talking about are, and that's where the problems start. Fair enough that you don't care that its against the law, that's your choice and you don't care about it, but others do.

With regards to changing your personality (and once again to be clear I'm not saying this IS the case with you) both of my examples again didn't think that it had changed them. As someone who has witnessed the change from the outside, I can say with certainly that it did, regardless of if they noticed it themselves or not.

With people feeling uncomfortable, again just down to my experience. I used to live with both of these guys, and when the end result is the entire house reeking of weed, to the point that when you and your other half order a takeaway and the delivery driver says something along the lines of "Enjoying some good joints?" then it doesn't lead to a very good relationship with others. As you say if its just you then this doesn't apply.

You seem like a switched on guy who does things in moderation in his own home and thats fine. But I'm speaking in a more general scale.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Honestly? yeah, subconsciously I definitely think less of people who use drugs. I'm all for the legalization of drugs and it's totally up to you how you want to live your life but to a certain extent yeah I think it's kind of lame.

I mean it's fine, I'm not about to preach to or talk down to anyone who uses recreational drugs but come on. I've tried some drugs before and honestly I got nothing out of it. I find myself amid the strangest company in that I do no drugs and don't drink at all but there's not a religious aspect to it nor do I abstain due to excessive use in the past, I just don't dig it. beer, pot, cigarettes, tried them, don't like them. it's super weird to try and explain to people that you don't drink just because you prefer the taste of soda and don't really enjoy getting hammered. so some of my judging is more counter judgment... "what you don't drink? come on just have one don't be a weirdo!". but in regards to the illegal kinds of drugs I just think it's kind of lame, we have video games, we have movies, we have comic books, and stand up comedy. We have so much stuff to entertain us and your preference is to alter your brain chemistry so your body is kind of tricked into having a good time? I look at it as a crutch in the sense that some people seem to need drugs to have a good time or they seem to think drugs will magically improve anything they are doing. and I think that's kind of weak.

again, no real judgment here I mean you're certainly welcome to do whatever you like and have any kind of good time that you prefer. but me I don't need it, and i'm happy without it. I don't understand the appeal of it mostly.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Depends. If it's one of those people who smokes pot every once in a while, no. If you are one of those annoying sods who can't stop banging on about the irony of 420 (which I still don't get or find even remotely funny) and build your entire lifestyle around it, then yes, I will harbour a prejudice against you. But do you really blame me? No, it's not because you smoke weed, it's because you're annoying me!

I also think people who use hard drugs are idiots (it's illegal for a good reason) and that those are the quickest way to ruin your life.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Yep, I don't smoke or drink, or use any other recreational drug, and I think less of people who spend their time getting high, especially if they're an addict

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Ravesy said:
I think the key with all of these points is that they are just my opinion based on what i've witnessed. I'm sure you are a lot more responsible with what ever you use than my two examples, so a large part of what I have said isn't relevant.
No, that's fine. I'm not appraising the source of your opinions on drug users, I'm just interested in hearing about it and discussing it. I always say it's a bad idea to base your opinion of things on a small population within your immediacy because it almost always elicits a highly skewed view. I prefer to base my arguments more on research and reasoning than limited experience.

Ravesy said:
Some drugs aren't addictive, but a vast majority of the ones we are talking about are, and that's where the problems start.
I agree that some of the drugs I mentioned are addictive to differing extents but so are a lot of the legal things we have available. I'm a responsible adult and so I feel that I should be in a position to make the call myself as to whether I should be allowed to take them. Coffee, video games, gambling, are all addictive, and you could even argue that sex is, but it doesn't mean that they should be illegal or that we should judge people for partaking.

Ravesy said:
Fair enough that you don't care that its against the law, that's your choice and you don't care about it, but others do.
I don't see how this is even a point. The fact that my breaking the law bothers other people is completely irrelevant to me. All "my character's" drugs are ethically sourced, so why I should care that other people are bothered when I break the law by consuming drugs is beyond me. I see it as a non-argument.

Ravesy said:
With regards to changing your personality (and once again to be clear I'm not saying this IS the case with you) both of my examples again didn't think that it had changed them. As someone who has witnessed the change from the outside, I can say with certainly that it did, regardless of if they noticed it themselves or not.
It's always a shame when that happens. I've known people who were idiots with drugs but I've known far more people who were responsible, mostly because the latter fall into the group I usually associate myself with. I'm not claiming that this doesn't happen to many people. I believe that were it better regulated and have more education surrounding it we would find fewer people of that disposition attracted to it. The "OMG I'm so stoned, 420 lol" brigade are the same people who believe they're rebels because they're fighting "the system". "The system" fosters this attitude, along with "drugs are immoral", because we're force-fed a mantra from such a young age without ever allowing room for dissent or critical thinking.

Ravesy said:
With people feeling uncomfortable, again just down to my experience. I used to live with both of these guys, and when the end result is the entire house reeking of weed, to the point that when you and your other half order a takeaway and the delivery driver says something along the lines of "Enjoying some good joints?" then it doesn't lead to a very good relationship with others. As you say if its just you then this doesn't apply.
I've had room mates like that. It was student accommodation so I didn't choose my room mates. The good thing about that was that I was in a position to complain about the mess in the place without losing my deposit. It's your choice and mine not to associate with assholes of any persuasion, drugs or no drugs. I don't hang out with "stoners" so this isn't an issue for me.

Ravesy said:
You seem like a switched on guy who does things in moderation in his own home and thats fine. But I'm speaking in a more general scale.
I'm actually a girl. Don't let my crude language fool you, I'm really quite feminine :p I get what you're saying but I believe the "general scale" argument is a dangerous one to make. You could replace "drug users" with "black people", "gay people", "the Greeks", or "the working class" and it would be far more sinister. I'm not saying it's a perfect comparison but it's not far off since there's a great diversity in the type of people who take drugs. Every stoner who claims that cannabis cures cancer or meth addict who stabs a baby ruins the image for the rest of us. The more grounded among us are unfortunately the less conspicuous.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Not really a prejudice, but I am a little taken aback when people have told me they smoke marijuana, but that's because it's illegal not that I think it's morally wrong. That sounds confusing but to me doing drugs is inherently risky and I'm surprised when people find that risk acceptable even if they don't think it's morally wrong. Though I'd probably get over it once I got a better understanding of how often they do drugs. For example, I knew one guy who smoked pot, but made the stupid mistake of doing it within days of a job interview and they asked him to pee in a cup. The fact that he couldn't hold off when he knew he had an interview, tells me he's an idiot or has a problem

Also full disclosure: I'm 22 but I've never drank or done drugs. I just don't like the losing control of myself

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Poison yourself all you want to a very early grave. Doesn't bother me as its your choice, why would I care what you do to yourself? Especially if I barely know you.

What does annoy me is people that tell others they do drugs.

I DRINK SODA! ... Good for you? It's extremely obvious you want attention/respect if you have to tell people you do something... especially strangers. VERY RARELY are drugs relevant, to anything, to any subject matter. People just like to brag that they are doing something illegal. It must add some stupid thrill to the act or something.

"Oh man I'm so high right now...." -Random chat in online game

Good for you, now shaddap. That stuff is annoying.

And just to add, my personal reasons for not taking drugs.

I don't like to be sick. I don't drink alchohol for this reason too. I have suffered enough in my life, I don't need to add on more suffering.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
nightmare_gorilla said:
I've tried some drugs before and honestly I got nothing out of it.
That's fine, but I personally get a lot out of it. What I experience on acid ("acid" is a euphemism for "chocolate milk", mods) is a pleasurable experience that is so alien to anything else that you can naturally feel that I would consider it a shame not to experience it. It don't *need* to do it again, but much like a delicious strawberry pavlova,I would certainly like to try it again.

nightmare_gorilla said:
I find myself amid the strangest company in that I do no drugs and don't drink at all but there's not a religious aspect to it nor do I abstain due to excessive use in the past, I just don't dig it. beer, pot, cigarettes, tried them, don't like them. it's super weird to try and explain to people that you don't drink just because you prefer the taste of soda and don't really enjoy getting hammered. so some of my judging is more counter judgment... "what you don't drink? come on just have one don't be a weirdo!".
Funnily, I don't drink alcohol either and, like you, it's because I just don't dig it. People give me strange looks and comments about but I can handle that, and none of my friends bother me about it.

nightmare_gorilla said:
but in regards to the illegal kinds of drugs I just think it's kind of lame, we have video games, we have movies, we have comic books, and stand up comedy.
I don't get the "why would you do X when we have Y" argument when it comes to comparing drugs with other hobbies. I have many hobbies - way more than most - it's just that doing drugs happens to be one of them. We all have our preferences and I don't see why your suggestions are superior to mine. I love video games, I love dancing, I love gymnastics, I love literature, I love drugs. None of those precludes the other.

nightmare_gorilla said:
We have so much stuff to entertain us and your preference is to alter your brain chemistry so your body is kind of tricked into having a good time?
Why is it "tricking" your brain? You transiently alter your brain chemistry when you eat chocolate, dance, masturbate, watch TV, drink coffee, go running etc. You're not "tricking" your brain any more than when you engage in any of those activities; the difference is those activities are less laden with negative language in their descriptions. the good time I have from eating in a restaurant, cuddling, swimming, or taking drugs are all different types of "having a good time".

nightmare_gorilla said:
I look at it as a crutch in the sense that some people seem to need drugs to have a good time or they seem to think drugs will magically improve anything they are doing. and I think that's kind of weak.
Why do you assume we *need* drugs any more than I *need* a strawberry pavlova? I love a good strawberry pavlova. It might enhance my meal when I go out for dinner. You could call that a magical improvement. I just don't see why enjoying drugs recreationally is seen as a crutch, but enjoying a strawberry pavlova (seriously, so good!) is not.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
SNCommand said:
I think less of people who spend their time getting high, especially if they're an addict
A lot of people get into drugs because of child abuse or numerous other factors including poverty and it then it turns into an addiction. Thinking less of someone because they have a serious illness is wrong. Its acceptable to think this way of alcoholics and drug addicts but if someone is overweight due to a food addiction (which like any addiction is pretty serious and may have other mental health issues attached to it) you cant look down on them because they are fat

Russell Brand has some good videos on this subject on youtube. He's been clean for over a decade now and he is pretty candid about his experience as a heroin addict.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
michael87cn said:
Poison yourself all you want to a very early grave. Doesn't bother me as its your choice, why would I care what you do to yourself? Especially if I barely know you.
The use of "Poison yourself" is heavily laden in judgement because it implies wilful or reckless self-destruction. The fact is though that I'm the healthiest person I know despite having suffered from a usually fatal disease as a teenager. I'm on several sports teams, I volunteer as a gymnastics coach, and I eat very quite healthily, the odd pizza or strawberry pavlova binge notwithstanding. Not caring whether I harm myself is not the same as not judging. Assuming that people who use drugs are self-destructive is judgement.

michael87cn said:
What does annoy me is people that tell others they do drugs.

I DRINK SODA! ... Good for you? It's extremely obvious you want attention/respect if you have to tell people you do something... especially strangers. VERY RARELY are drugs relevant, to anything, to any subject matter. People just like to brag that they are doing something illegal. It must add some stupid thrill to the act or something.
These are dumb people. The problem with any activity or interest that is unconventional is that the loudest and most conspicuous proponents are unfortunately the most stupid. "Man, I'm so high right now" is just a stupid thing to say, but mentioning or discussing drug use can absolutely be relevant. This thread, for example, is quite interesting because it gets people talking. I don't just liberally drop "I take drugs" into a conversation, but I don't make pains to hide it any more than I would with my other hobbies. I definitely hid it from my former employers because they didn't look upon that activity too favourably, the fascists :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
As much as I try not to, I cannot help it.

One of the nicest, most creative people I knew died directly because of drugs while he was still in high school.
The police report suggested an overdose; his closest friends suspected it was bad drugs.
(Given their habits, I strongly suspect the latter)

Unexpected death aside...

Then there's the potheads, smoker-tokers...I hate smoke.
Cigarette, cigar, blunts, my body has a near allergic reaction to it and has since I was a little kid.

I do what I can to let folks light up in peace and make minimal/nil fuss where I can, but just because I tolerate something doesn't mean I like it.

The people on the hard stuff?
OK, I grew up in Chicagoland in the 90s. What I learned is that if you aren't using or dealing, you stay the fuck away from those who are. It's a very simple relationship for those of us without a badge.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
CrystalViolet said:
That's fine, but I personally get a lot out of it. What I experience on acid ("acid" is a euphemism for "chocolate milk", mods) is a pleasurable experience that is so alien to anything else that you can naturally feel that I would consider it a shame not to experience it. It don't *need* to do it again, but much like a delicious strawberry pavlova,I would certainly like to try it again.

Funnily, I don't drink alcohol either and, like you, it's because I just don't dig it. People give me strange looks and comments about but I can handle that, and none of my friends bother me about it.

I don't get the "why would you do X when we have Y" argument when it comes to comparing drugs with other hobbies. I have many hobbies - way more than most - it's just that doing drugs happens to be one of them. We all have our preferences and I don't see why your suggestions are superior to mine. I love video games, I love dancing, I love gymnastics, I love literature, I love drugs. None of those precludes the other.

Why is it "tricking" your brain? You transiently alter your brain chemistry when you eat chocolate, dance, masturbate, watch TV, drink coffee, go running etc. You're not "tricking" your brain any more than when you engage in any of those activities; the difference is those activities are less laden with negative language in their descriptions. the good time I have from eating in a restaurant, cuddling, swimming, or taking drugs are all different types of "having a good time".

Why do you assume we *need* drugs any more than I *need* a strawberry pavlova? I love a good strawberry pavlova. It might enhance my meal when I go out for dinner. You could call that a magical improvement. I just don't see why enjoying drugs recreationally is seen as a crutch, but enjoying a strawberry pavlova (seriously, so good!) is not.
Perhaps I should qualify my statements with this, a lot of my friends are current or past drug users and as such I've met a few different types. a friend of mine went through a bad divorce and started going to raves all the time and dropping a lot of acid. to be fair I don't necessarily judge the behavior itself so much as what the behavior tends to enable. a lot of the music acid/lsd/mdma users listen to is just god awful and listening to the explanation "yeah but when you're tripping balls it's amazing!!!" sums up my side of it rather well. I don't like anything you need to be altered to enjoy. for example I don't begrudge the fact that james franco and seth rogan are HUGE potheads I begrudge the fact that if you're not a pothead their movies are truly and utterly shit. it's the same reaction I have when I tell people I don't like going to parties and they say

"you just need to get drunk enough to enjoy it."
"but I don't drink I don't like the taste or having to pee every three minutes."
"You don't drink it for the taste and don't pop the cork man."

like sitting back watching people drink something they don't like so they can enjoy something they don't in order to maybe have sloppy drunken sex with people they don't know and probably wouldn't like sober and i'm the idiot for not seeing the appeal? I have that same sentiment for other drugs. I can understand recreational use and maybe judge isn't the right word but for those people out there who only enjoy certain things when they're high I think are a little silly.

I am libertarian in the truest sense so if you want to not bother anybody and get baked out of your gourd good for you but if you act like an ass around me because you're high I generally just think you're an ass not that you're an ass when your high. some of my older friends I don't see much anymore are the kind of people who get high and turn into total assholes so I don't want to be around them much. and some members of my own family turn into colossal dicks when they're drunk but still do it because "well that's what's fun." which has kind of painted my image of all drug users.

I guess saying I prejudge isn't accurate i'll just say this I have no philosophical issues with recreational drugs, I am not about to risk getting arrested so I don't like being around them under certain circumstances. but my personal experiences with drug users are more often negative than positive so I tend to expect that.

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
CrystalViolet said:
I don't see how this is even a point. The fact that my breaking the law bothers other people is completely irrelevant to me. All "my character's" drugs are ethically sourced, so why I should care that other people are bothered when I break the law by consuming drugs is beyond me. I see it as a non-argument.
But it comes down to the reasoning. Your generally asking if people harbor prejudices against people who use drugs. Using said drugs is illegal, and a lot of people will look down those who break the law. It doesn't really matter if it bothers you or not, its their reasoning behind it, which leads to their reactions.

CrystalViolet said:
I've had room mates like that. It was student accommodation so I didn't choose my room mates. The good thing about that was that I was in a position to complain about the mess in the place without losing my deposit. It's your choice and mine not to associate with assholes of any persuasion, drugs or no drugs. I don't hang out with "stoners" so this isn't an issue for me.
Believe me that was the breaking point and words were given, leading to one moving out. I'm aware that my view is very much skewed, and could well be changed with a lot of research, but as i rarely have contact with people who use drugs now its not high on my list of things to look into. (Just to note, not due to me not approving of people taking drugs, just moving on in life and circles of friends, and not associating with assholes as you so eloquently put ;) )

CrystalViolet said:
I'm actually a girl. Don't let my crude language fool you, I'm really quite feminine :p I get what you're saying but I believe the "general scale" argument is a dangerous one to make. You could replace "drug users" with "black people", "gay people", "the Greeks", or "the working class" and it would be far more sinister. I'm not saying it's a perfect comparison but it's not far off since there's a great diversity in the type of people who take drugs. Every stoner who claims that cannabis cures cancer or meth addict who stabs a baby ruins the image for the rest of us. The more grounded among us are unfortunately the less conspicuous.
Haha, my bad! Should of checked on the profile i guess, there's a "Girls on the internet" joke in there somewhere but I wont lower the tone any further!

I guess I have to agree with you on your last point, and again put my opinion down to personal flaws and not doing any research rather than anything else. The correct view to take as you suggest would not to brand a whole group of people due to the negative associations I've experienced, and I'm aware of that. However actually doing so is a lot harder than it may seem!

Cal Shackleford

Aug 9, 2014
I should preface with the honest contradiction and hypocrisy that I am teetotal (or straight edge might be the more "modern" term), but I find no fault in individuals who smoke tobacco or drink coffee in excess and yet I find myself, for reasons both conscious and unconscious, appalled by drug use in the immediacy of my person and relations, as well as on a more social and cultural level.

On a selfish and personal level born from no philosophy, I simply find the smell of alcohol repellent. Most other drugs that I've the (mis)fortune to smell have also left me unsettled.

On "soft drugs," ala alcohol, I've always hated its imposition in life. Toasting, sacrifice, drinking parties with colleagues and peers. Its [perceived] necessity within some cultures I understand; the idea that a drunk man cannot lose face, that all uttered over the bar is in the confidence of the bottle and thus inadmissible and unheard at work. However I find the very idea of self debasement and unselfing in that manner distasteful. Perhaps growing up in a prefecture that held the national standard for alcohol consumption plays some part (it either wins you or repels you), but I cannot seem to make peace with the idea of drinking. Fortunately I've never really been in a position where, to my face at least, there's been any offence given or taken with regards to this point :)

Towards illegal narcotics, regardless of their history, use and conception, I've feel disgust wrought with pity. I don't hate the people that use and consume them, mostly*, but I do feel a sense of irritable contempt towards the system that produces and releases them, as well as frustration towards the society that, ultimately, fosters their consumption, use and - possible - abuse. Not all people who consume narcotics do so in a dangerous excess, perhaps in that fact lies an awkward truth about drug use in and of itself, nor do all people who use narcotics do so for coping or unselfing purposes. Some people simply seek to "enhance" an experience, and therein is born a deep fascination with us as a species; how we can become bored or dissatisfied with something that is, by our own interpretation (mostly) enjoyable.

For use for enjoyment's sake, not for enhancement or escape; I feel like there is a dangerous practice there, reflected in other "legal"/non-illegal activities as well. A part of maturity is knowing the risks and dangers in life and knowing when to brave them for a greater good. In the case of personal enjoyment however, I feel that we should not risk damaging or compromising ourselves lest we impair our ability to help to achieve a communal greater good. Boring though it may be, I think we're beholden to others to ensure some degree of physical, biological-chemical-psychological well being. Not everyone naturally agrees with such a point, and are free to do so! As such I can only hope such "dangers" are as safe as they can be, if that is not stupid (though I believe that youtube clip with a surprisingly eloquent Russel Brand made mention of the point)

In cases of illegal narcotic production and consumption, where drug use is not regulated and risk of abuse and mismanagement of addiction and complications seem rife, I think drug consumption is a great danger. Where it is legal, such as Portugal, and so long as the distribution is regulated and the consumption is done in moderation and not abused, while I may disagree with the individual for risking an aspect of themselves (neuro-biochemically speaking), I cannot say that I would be thinking as poorly of the act as I would in an environment where clandestine and illegal consumption is taking place.

Uh, to surmise that point - I think where drugs are "illegal" their consumption feeds a dangerous industry and runs a gambit of risks and complications. Where it is legal I still think it is a danger, personal abuse (same with alcohol and what have you) but so long as it is legal, I will think of it as something like base jumping - ideally it's risky and possibly not the safest or smartest thing to be doing, but so long as no harm is done. In both cases there exists the risk of crippling oneself, but so long as the harm is managed accordingly, I cannot hate or condemn, I can only tut.

When it comes to coping I think they are a terrible choice (who doesn't!) and believe counselling is always preferable. (There's a whole bitter circle, idea of perceived helplessness and just general apathy and foresight that darkens this issue, but I don't think anyone here would say "shooting up to forget" is the best course of action [same with "drink to forget" or "pump to forget" etc]).

On a less "high bordering pretentious" platform and a simple, to me at least, harrowing observation by way of anecdote;

In my short life on this planet, and the shorter amount of time as a sexually aware being, I've found myself horrified by the degree of nihilistic fatalism that seems to so casually engulf subsections of society where the avenues of drugs and sex merge. For our final project for our degree (psychology - whoo!) a friend and I decided to look into the cultural perception and practice of sex (really - so say our friends - it was an excuse to trawl select adult interest websites in the name of "science," but hey...)

To try and make a long story short - repeat exchanges with a few persons ended up leading us into an interesting site that, in essence, was anti-latex (and sheepskin for you allergic fellows). Now there's nothing really new or surprising in a sex site being host to skiers and tina slammers, nor the readiness of its patrons to swap baggies and needles for fluids, but what grabbed me were the options of the website - requiring a profile for access - with questions such as "drug use" having answers ranging from "Hell no" to "hell yeah," and health status having the possible answer "don't care."

"Decadent complacency of the western first world," or some such you may say - and I might agree - but what really screwed with me was tracking a profile (and chatting with the person) who (19yo, apparently) went from "Clean & Negative" and "Hell No" to "Positive" and "Hell yeah" in the span of two semesters. Skeptically I assumed the person was just acting nice for appearances, but instead it was a matter of "why the hell not" getting the better and them developing a liking for needles and the like.

It wasn't a case of the profile being a "bug chaser" or any of the sort, rather they just found that they liked the get high and couldn't care less how they managed it. Asked them if they regretted their decision (lifelong, oft fatal disease just for a "high"), got a flat "nope, lol," for an answer. Asked them if they cared about their partners, another "nope lol".

I know I've wandered into general sex territory rather than just drugs outright, but the mixing of the two, the idea of "enhancement and enjoyment" to such a degree that the individual would essentially abandon a key part of themselves and risk their life, not just longterm by way of neurophysiological risks... it's terrible. The person may have been so inclined before they started using, the very fact they were on such a site may suggest some heightened thrill seeking or some such, but damn if it didn't seem like they were on a dark road.

This is not to say in any way or form that drugs and sex are dependent or synonymous, only that, from what we saw, that when the two collided it seemed to be in a violent excess that produced such a terrible (dare say selfish) sense of abandon and indulgence. This is hardly anything new, and stereotypes abound of the "pnp culture," "ice queens" and the like... but the general "screw it. screw 'em" attitude scares the hell out of me.

And when I think of drugs, legal or otherwise, I think of this kind of madness that its capable of. I know it's a minority and there are always other factors, but still it seems at times one just can't shake a feeling.

I cannot find myself capable of condoning drug use, legal or illegal. However if history and modern thought is anything to go by, I can at least hope that is used sanely, well as sanely as it can be, it is not abused, its production and consumption regulated. Illegal narcotics feed a dark beast, but legal still sees the potential for much sorrow and danger. But, so many things we enjoy can kill us, wishing it were otherwise doesn't change much. Some people just aren't content with vanilla for a lifetime.

My reasons might not be well thought out, properly coherent, polite or what have you, but here's my answer. :)

Just realized how late it is (or early haha!) Sorry this is probably one long ramble. If it doesn't make sense, please yell at me - or throw amyl nitrite in my face, apparently it burns something fierce :)

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
The whole thing is more of a spectrum rather than a simple, arbitrary barrier between "right/okay" and "wrong/not okay".

I know plenty of people who can't enjoy their life if they go too long without weed, even though most people will swear up and down that it's totally not addictive or destructive.

Likewise, I've known several people who occasionally shoot up heroin and snort coke, yet function just fine without them and don't appear to have any obvious signs of dependency.

Of course, "hardcore" drugs are more LIKELY to fuck you up, but from my experience as a witness to just about everything, the biggest single factor seems to be individual tolerance and personality over the addictiveness or destructiveness of the drug itself (again, not to downplay the significance of that).

I don't judge people negatively for experimenting or adequately adapting to drugs - I only shy away from them when it becomes a bad habit, which, unfortunately, by their very nature, drugs tend to easily risk becoming.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Generally the people who take drugs(and this especially includes alcohol and cigarettes) are the kind of people I don't like. So yeah, I'm prejudiced. But once I know someone, I don't really care; That's just the thing with prejudices, it's fine to have them, as long as you're willing to lay them aside once you have more information about someone.

Anyway, this thread is probably not a good idea, because the whole issue with prejudice against drug users is that people judge before they know more. So asking people what they think about drug use, isn't as useful as just telling people what different kinds of drugs there are and what effects they have.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
tricky-crazy said:
As for acid, I'm not an expert on drugs but I'm pretty sure it's safer to smoke weed than doing acid. I guess it depends on the acid we talk about. The one I've seen is the stuff you put on your thong and it burns you so intense you get high. Maybe that's another drug, I'm not sure.
"Acid" usually refers to LSD. It's probably the least toxic drug available because it works at such low doses and has such a crazily favourable dose-toxicity ratio. It's also not addictive and there are no casualties attributed to it. You do normally put it on your tongue but it doesn't burn you at all. A lot of street dealers sell other more dangerous drugs and claim it's LSD, but that's what happens when there's no legal regulation.

Ravesy said:
But it comes down to the reasoning. Your generally asking if people harbor prejudices against people who use drugs. Using said drugs is illegal, and a lot of people will look down those who break the law. It doesn't really matter if it bothers you or not, its their reasoning behind it, which leads to their reactions.
I, sorry, I misunderstood you! I thought you were saying that's a reason not to take, not why people might have prejudices. My bad! That is a good answer, but I'm more interested in hearing everyone's individual opinions, so whether or not you personally prejudge because you have an issue with the law-breaking.

Ravesy said:
Believe me that was the breaking point and words were given, leading to one moving out. I'm aware that my view is very much skewed, and could well be changed with a lot of research, but as i rarely have contact with people who use drugs now its not high on my list of things to look into. (Just to note, not due to me not approving of people taking drugs, just moving on in life and circles of friends, and not associating with assholes as you so eloquently put ;) )
Of course! I'm not asking people to justify their prejudices, I'm just interested to hear about them and discuss them. It's nice to hear that you're open to dialogue about it. My problem is that most people aren't, so they assume I'm stupid for taking drugs. Luckily, by the time someone finds out that I use drugs (by "drugs" I mean "biscuits") they've already figured out whether or not I'm an idiot :p

Ravesy said:
Haha, my bad! Should of checked on the profile i guess, there's a "Girls on the internet" joke in there somewhere but I wont lower the tone any further!
No problem, I find that using a gender-neutral name and profile pic lets me be taken more seriously :p

Ravesy said:
I guess I have to agree with you on your last point, and again put my opinion down to personal flaws and not doing any research rather than anything else. The correct view to take as you suggest would not to brand a whole group of people due to the negative associations I've experienced, and I'm aware of that. However actually doing so is a lot harder than it may seem!
No, no, I fully get you. I went through a straight edge phase and had a slightly negative view of everyone who took drugs or drank alcohol. As you can tell, I changed my mind :D

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, yeah. If you smoke crack or crystal meth, I really don't want you around my child, let alone driving their school bus. I'm probably not going to enjoy being around you while you're high.

If your use of your drug of choice is strictly recreational and I'd never have reason to know you were using it, keep it that way and chances are I won't have a problem with you.

Otherwise, well... There are some people who drink alcohol or smoke marijuana and just become mellow and sociable; others become obnoxious or start finding everything riotously funny. I reserve the right to take that on a case by case basis.