Do You Hate People Who Disagrees With You?

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
I never hate a person for their disagreeing with me. I'm a person who can respect someones opinion as long as they can validate it. This is why I watched a Twilight movie, read the bible, etc. It allows me to have a more valid reason to disagree rather than "Twilight is dumb because it's a girly book" or "The bible is dumb because I'm an atheist" I can point to certain passages of the bible, or certain scenes from a movie, and who knows, maybe I'll even like the experience.

Further, if somebody hates black people, and they can explain why, within reason, than fine. Doesn't mean you can kill a black man or make a hate crime okay, mind you, but if you can back up your reasoning, than fair enough.

And again, I could never hate a person for what they think, but if their stance is "Black people are the devil because they have dark skin" or some nonsense, I do find it sad.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I do hate some people who disagree with me, but I don't think that's the reason.

Some people disagree with me for perfectly valid reasons which they discuss. That's fine, and great. I encourage that.

Some people disagree with me and instead of sharing their reasons for the disagreement they throw insults around. I hate those people.

The real moral choice is would you hate the people in the latter category if they DID agree with you?
And honestly I don't know if I would. I'd like to think I could hate people contribute to the flow of immaturity and ignorance regardless of what side of the discussion they were on. But then there's that little voice in my head going [sub]Yeah! You tell 'em! That's what they get for not agreeing with me![/sub]

But I've never been confronted with a situation like that.
[sub]mostly because the people who agree with me are too civilized and intelligent for that kind of petty squabbling. A-hoy hoy hoy hoy hoy hoy[/sub]

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Hate a person for disagreeing? Why the hell would I ever have to resort to something so petty when there is plenty of good reason to hate people as it is. That is a waste of good fodder to go to simple disagreement.

More seriously though, the people I tend to hate who I disagree with has nothing to do with the topic of the disagreement itself most of the time and everything to do with the attitude and behavior they present. So to that effect I hate them for who they are rather then what they believe...except when they believe themselves as anything less then a giant asshole, them I hate them because I disagree.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Just saying "someone who disagrees with you" is extraordinarily broad. I'm certainly not going to hate someone for disagreeing with me about, I don't know, voter-ID laws, but when someone says "y'know, Hitler was right", then I'm probably going to disagree with them and hate them too.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Well no, not on its own. Though if someone debates by making presumptuous ad-hominem attacks or by telling me "when you say this you mean to say this thing I've decided you've said but clearly didn't" then yeah those people are cunts. Even then that's not really their opinion, it's how they argue it.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Do I hate them? No.
Being a walking manifestation of the internet sounds like you're setting yourself up for a depressing life, why would I want that?! Nothing beats having a nice conversation where you agree to disagree and respect each other for it.

When do I "hate" them though... when they hate me for not sharing their love for something thats clearly flawed, backing up their statements with colorful and original vocabulary like "@#$% you!" or "U r (You're) just a hater, fggt!".

If they don't want to use their IQ, then it begins. The gloves are coming off, a fight A REAL FIGHT will commence, all body no text, not even the safety of your computer screen will save you from my wrath, you petty mortal.
Or I just ignore them cause their credibility in arguing died. I still wish a good ol' match of bronze was an option though...

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
If you try to block out differing viewpoints entirely without at least hearing their argument out, it says far more about you than your dissenter(usually). There will be issues you will not budge on and will want to avoid other people entirely because they think so differently than you do, I understand that. I would only hate someone if they had an extreme dislike of my opinion that would drive them to try to kill or hurt me.

I just like to try to find the good in people in general. If I find out someone thinks differently than me in a huge way, if we still have something nice in common, I won't hate them.

If you want my feelings on this summed up, listen to Alder for a sec...

Captcha: get out geez, captcha certainly does not like differing opinions it seems.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Surely that would depend on what we're disagreeing over.

If they disagree with my view that anchovies are delicious and pineapple has no place being on a pizza, then somehow I think I can refrain from hating them forevermore.

On the other hand, if they refuse to acknowledge that tomato in a toasted cheese sandwich is a sin then they are dead to me. That's just beyond the pale.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
It depends upon the level of disagreement. Obviously I hate Nazis, and I hope that would be the general consensus here. Something being "just a belief" is not always justification.

The only doctrine of belief I frequently encounter in people which instantly gains them my hatred is Objectivism. Libertarians at least believe that the free market will create the best situation for the most people. Objectivism relies on a philosophy of heartlessness and elitism.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
It depends on both the argument and their reasoning. And even then its less hate and more 'what a moron' that I believe.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Nope. I try not to hate anyone (though I can't help but harbor some resentment for a few individuals...I'm working on it...) But really, disagreeing with people in a polite, reasoned fashion is what spurs us to think about things and refine our own viewpoints.
Now when people can't discuss their disagreements in a polite, reasonable way...well that's why I keep most of my internet discussion here on the escapist, where the majority of people are actually civil and thoughtful.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Zhukov said:
On the other hand, if they refuse to acknowledge that tomato in a toasted cheese sandwich is a sin then they are dead to me. That's just beyond the pale.
D:

I can't have a toasted cheese sandwich WITHOUT tomato.

Guess I've made an enemy for life.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Kaulen Fuhs said:
If it's whether or not No Country for Old Men is a good film, I can probably find some way to move past it.
You're a stronger man than I, then! Anyone who fails to appreciate that Anton Chigurh is the most chillingly effective villain in the history of cinema isn't someone I want belonging to the human race. :hmph:

more seriously, eh, i don't really hate anyone. There are 16 personality types among humans, each of which follows a pattern of thought more or less incomprehensible to others, so yeah, there are plenty of opinions out there I don't really understand, but I try to stay mature enough to keep everything in perspective. (though I fail from time to time, even on this very forum. Need to stop posting in anger, I always regret it later. XD)

OP's post is actually a good example of what I'm talking about. that line he quoted: "Hating someone for disagreeing with you is hating them for what they do rather than what they are, so it seems like a perfectly valid reason to hate someone." In my method of thought, it's incomprehensible that someone would express a sentiment like that in a non-joking matter. Without context, I would always assume the person saying that was being humorous.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Grey Carter said:
KissingSunlight said:
I had someone tell me this on The Escapist forum the other day: "Hating someone for disagreeing with you is hating them for what they do rather than what they are, so it seems like a perfectly valid reason to hate someone."

I think this is problem with trying to discuss any issues online. People are more interested in attacking people who disagrees with them. Rather than, discussing the issues in a rationally way.

Do you think it's acceptable to hate people, because they disagree with you?
Depends entirely on what we disagree on. I believe some ideologies are inherently toxic, and while "hate" is a strong word, I think you can judge people on the basis of their beliefs.
Basically this. If someone believes that certain ethnic groups should be treated differently, that refugees should be sent back regardless of their position or that men and women shouldn't have equal rights I won't like that person and no matter how much he can reason with me or explain his stance I won't change my view of him.

If someone says a game I love is bad, well that's his opinion. I can discuss it, it may become a heated discussion, but at the end of the day his opinion doesn't affect me. It's a trivial opinion and I don't hate the person for having it. I do however feel that someone being convinced that women should be regarded as talking sex toys is worthy of at least some discomfort, dislike or maybe even hatred.

Zhukov said:
Surely that would depend on what we're disagreeing over.

If they disagree with my view that anchovies are delicious and pineapple has no place being on a pizza, then somehow I think I can refrain from hating them forevermore.

I don't like anchovies, I think pineapple on a pizza can be quite tasty in moderation, but I would NEVER EVER commit the grave sin of having tomato in a roasted grill cheese sandwich so we're cool, right?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have a hard time hating people, period. I mean, really hate people. That doesn't mean I'm all sunshine and roses or optimistic or anything. I just don't have the dedication or attention span to hate most people.

Doesn't mean I like your opinions, though.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hate is a pretty strong word...

I guess I could hate someone if they asked me what if I thought my family should still be alive and I said: "yes of course" and then they said: "I disagree" and just killed them in front of me. That would inspire a lot of hatred in me.

I don't think I've actually hated anyone in my life (I don't count mass murderers or anything like that. Hatred is more personal).

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Grey Carter said:
KissingSunlight said:
I had someone tell me this on The Escapist forum the other day: "Hating someone for disagreeing with you is hating them for what they do rather than what they are, so it seems like a perfectly valid reason to hate someone."

I think this is problem with trying to discuss any issues online. People are more interested in attacking people who disagrees with them. Rather than, discussing the issues in a rationally way.

Do you think it's acceptable to hate people, because they disagree with you?
Depends entirely on what we disagree on. I believe some ideologies are inherently toxic, and while "hate" is a strong word, I think you can judge people on the basis of their beliefs.
I don't hate people I disagree with, but I find it difficult on a lot of things to find common ground with people I disagree with.

I can't decide if that's because I have really strong feelings about things, or because I'm really just an ass.

The one thing that I really have trouble with is getting "advice" that's based solely on one's religious beliefs.

ME: "Well, what would you do in my position?"
OTHER PERSON: "God has a plan for you. Trust that everything will work out."
ME: "Okay. Thanks."
ME THINKING: "Not."

I mean, I actually do believe in God, and in fact lean toward a form of determinism in my worldview (long story), but if I ask for help or advice, this really doesn't help much.