Do You Hate People Who Disagrees With You?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
Do you think it's acceptable to hate people, because they disagree with you?
You do realize your thread title and what you actually ask are two very different things right? I would say yes to one and no to the other, mainly because I just don't care enough to hate someone.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Depends. If we're dealing with people who support racism or sexism for any reason, but especially stupid vacuous ones, then yes, I hate the motherfuckers. I hope a tornado hits their home.

If it's a discussion on whether SMT: Nocturne was a fantastic game (YES IT FUCKING WAS), then no, I won't hate them. So long as the opinions aren't ones that actively support damaging things, it's all good.

I do hate people who say that opinions can't be wrong, though, because that's not true. Preferences cannot be wrong (though they can be rooted in damaging ideology); opinions can totally be wrong. Example: I'm of the opinion that iPhones make the best cat litter. People have plenty of opinions that are easily proven as being factually wrong. On the other hand, someone saying "I'm of the opinion that grilled cheese sandwiches are best with a slice of tomato," is stating a preference, since it's a matter of subjective taste. Just because the word opinion was used doesn't mean it's not a preference. However, if the person says "I'm of the opinion that every person that doesn't eat a slice of tomato in their grilled cheese ought to be buried alive," is obviously reaching a faulty conclusion if you talk to anyone sane.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I tend to hate it when people disagree with me without providing counter-arguments. There's a world of difference between a friend who corrects you when you say something stupid or misinformed and a Philosophy teacher who flat-out goes "Ha-ha. No. You're wrong. Next question!"

The opinions being presented won't bother me, though. It's all in the way in which they're presented.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
KissingSunlight said:
I think this is problem with trying to discuss any issues online.
I hate to say this, (but you can't hate me for it), but I think the real problem is most of the people online are younger. And when you're younger not everyone has formed the ability to understand all their own perspectives let alone those of another person. I'd say if you found an Internet forum populated by over 40s there wouldn't be much 'hating of people for not agreeing with them' going on. Having said that, this is the Internet so I'm sure I can be proven wrong. But the Internet is a great place to learn these life lessons before applying them in real life (where hating someone just for disagreeing with you can get you in a lot more trouble).

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm old enough to understand that some people have different opinions from me and while I may not agree with their views it isn't necessarily worth hating them over.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I don't have the ego to emotionally invest myself enough to be offended by viewpoints i don't agree with. The only thing i find personally offensive is when people misrepresent me or my views in an effort to dismiss or marginalize my position. Regrettably that seems to be the standard mode of operation on the internet.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
At 33 years-old, and a person who has changed his own opinions on politics, pop culture, comic continuity, literature, etc. etc. it would be rather hypocritical of me to hate anyone for disagreeing me.

Now being hostile about it, that's a bit different. I don't hate those people, it is still not what happens, but I do get annoyed with it all. But its so easy not to worry about it:

I end the conversation.

Don't reply to the post.

Basically ignore it, unless I am sure they want to actually discuss it.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
As the first response touched - it's never health to think in such a way.

However, I will admit there are certain people on other forums that I go to that I've found a disliking over, because it appears they will literally always disagree with my opinions to the point where I wonder whether they care about the issue at hand, or just to spite me.

Indeed, I relate to the OP that some people are so wrapped in trying to argue with someone, that they completely lose track on what the original topic is about. I see this happen more often than it should.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
If we disagree on what particular show is currently the best, or why Miley Cyrus should or shouldn't get all the attention she's getting, that's not something to cause a fuss over. On the other hand, if someone tells me all people from Uzbekistan are twats, or that people with brown hair shouldn't be able to marry others with the same, natural, hair color, that is a valid reason to dislike a person, and should give me a clear warning to *AVOID* *AVOID* *AVOID*.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Ultimately, hating someone for having a different belief (not just religious ones, either) is how we get Crusades/Jihad/the Spanish Inquisition. To stereotype someone based on their opinion, or to consider an opinion so repugnant that it permanently tarnishes anyone who holds it is a terrible mistake that can only worsen already fragile understandings between cultures.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I don't hate people in general.

The closest I get though is when people agree with me and then take all the credit.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Master of the Skies said:
That's a fairly poorly established link. They hated people with other beliefs, yes. That oversimplifies the matter and refuses to look at the question of whether it could be justified or not, and whether in those cases they were merely unjustified. It ignores considering the issue in favor of a fear of some poorly established consequences.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying my specific examples could be justified, or merely that there are situations where it could be justified?

Whilst I am sure that hate of an extreme viewpoint can help eliminate it (ie, Germany by the Allies during WWI), the continuation from this results in terrible treatment of those associated with it. To continue the above example, life in post war occupied Germany, whilst certainly suffering from the effects of post war shortages, was not made easier by the occupying forces, who felt that the civilians were personally responsible for invading their country, bombing their cities and killing their soldiers. The economic collapse in Germany after the war was by far the worst in the 20th century, resulting in starvation and poverty across the country. The fact it was the result of the demands by the Allies for reparations, and hence entirely and deliberately man made, makes it all the more horrifying.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
First, I would like to thank all the people who have responded to this thread.

I have noticed a lot of people are glossing over the word "hate". While justifying their reasons why would they hate someone.

Grey Carter said:
Depends entirely on what we disagree on. I believe some ideologies are inherently toxic, and while "hate" is a strong word, I think you can judge people on the basis of their beliefs.
I completely disagree with that. (Don't Hate Me.) I have dealt face to face with people who were hard-core racists, sexists, etc. I listened respectfully, then I politely offered a counter-argument. I don't hate them. Some of them, I found things I like. On the issue of bigotry, I would just have to agree to disagree. To hate people, because I disagree with their ideologies, would also be bigoted.

I actually bought a book today whose title sums up this thought: Freedom For the Thought That We Hate. The title is taken from a quote by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Master of the Skies said:
I am saying that there could be justified situations. Pointing out unjustified situations does nothing to show that justified ones cannot exist.
Isn't that the fundamental of the scientific method? To gather evidence until your hypothesis is disproved; or, should your evidence not disprove your hypothesis, accept it as the most likely reflection of reality?

If there are cases where it is justifiable, could you give me an example? It doesn't have to be real; just a situation on which hating a person for their opinion could be genuinely justifiable.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Hate people? No. never.
Hate the opinion they stand behind - yes i can do that sometimes. for example i hate the opinion that we should teach only creationism in schools.

2012 Wont Happen said:
It depends upon the level of disagreement. Obviously I hate Nazis, and I hope that would be the general consensus here. Something being "just a belief" is not always justification.

The only doctrine of belief I frequently encounter in people which instantly gains them my hatred is Objectivism. Libertarians at least believe that the free market will create the best situation for the most people. Objectivism relies on a philosophy of heartlessness and elitism.
funny thing about objectivism is that there is nothing objective about it.

Oh an Naizs had a lot of interesting ideas actually. they are far from the worst type of people. But lets not invite godwin here shall we.

Abomination said:
Zhukov said:
On the other hand, if they refuse to acknowledge that tomato in a toasted cheese sandwich is a sin then they are dead to me. That's just beyond the pale.
D:

I can't have a toasted cheese sandwich WITHOUT tomato.

Guess I've made an enemy for life.
I guess we will both "burn in hell" for this "Sin".

frizzlebyte said:
I can't decide if that's because I have really strong feelings about things, or because I'm really just an ass.
I think the old saying applies here. Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one, but noone wants to see the other guys.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Oh, of course I hate people who disagree with me! But that's because they're people and I hate people; not because they disagree with me. I just hate people, period, you see. *emo emo nihilism*

Ahem, sorry about that, that one slipped out.

On a more serious note, though, no, not really, I'm not going to waste my brainwaves and processing power on hating people. I have places to be and things to do and I need all my brainwaves and processing power for those.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Depend on the issue that being argue and the person I'm arguing with.

If it's a stranger (let say someone on here) arguing me on personal/ trivial issue then yes (it's just my opinion) however if I'm arguing with my mate on a trivial issue then I won't hate him/ her despite the issue (example of this is when I think Bane voice from The Dark Knight Rises was too jolly to be taken seriously while my mate disagree to the point that he link me the reference of Bane voice to prove he was psychotic).

Granted if the issue was something more serious and again against at a stranger then I wouldn't hold a grudge that much due my opinion on that serious issue can be wrong as a greater whole.