Do you hate something because its popular?

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Lionsfan said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Lionsfan said:
Hate is such a strong word. I've thought that stuff is stupid, but I don't hate stuff
Oh, so you don't hate Hitler? You support Hitler? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS GUY'S A NAZI! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT--A NAZI! A BIG, FAT NAZI! What about cancer? You don't hate cancer? You like cancer? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS HITLER LOVER LIKES CANCER AND HOPES YOU ALL DIE FROM IT!

But seriously, I agree. Hate's too strong a word for these things (except for cancer & Hitler). I wouldn't say I dislike anything because it's popular. I think that's bad practice for human beings. If I ever find that I dislike something based on nothing else other than that it's popular, I force myself to check it out. Sometimes I go in and away thinking it's stupid, but sometimes I become a fan. Popular things are popular for a reason, after all.
I'm reminded of that Chris Rock comedy Head of State where a common guy gets chosen to run for president. Being a comedy, the candidates run ads like this:

Also, I'm surprised people don't do this in real life. It's ridiculous....but sadly it would probably work
Hah. That's not far from political ads nowadays. But that's another topic, I suppose.

Calibanbutcher said:
BarbaricGoose said:
You want a Simon-off? Well, you got it, pal-o.

<youtube=ULjCSK0oOlI>

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I don't hate anything just because it's popular. I pride myself in my ability to find the good in most things and to not stamp things as "good" or "bad" since few things can be so easily labeled like that. /pretentious

Some people do hate things because they're popular, though, even if they think they don't. And I will explain that.

Usually it's when something they like is in direct competition with something else, and the latter is much more popular than the former. For example: Final Fantasy XI and WoW. I'm going with that because I used to be a crazy FFXI fan just like the rest of that insane fanbase. (And I still have fond memories.) Actually this is the case with pretty much every MMO, but anyway.

People hate on the more popular one because they feel that its popularity is hurtful to their preferred game and, by extension, to them personally. They then proceed to say that it's just a bad game and that people who like it are stupid blind sheep.

It's dumb and childish and people should really knock it off.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
Lionsfan said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Lionsfan said:
Hate is such a strong word. I've thought that stuff is stupid, but I don't hate stuff
Oh, so you don't hate Hitler? You support Hitler? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS GUY'S A NAZI! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT--A NAZI! A BIG, FAT NAZI! What about cancer? You don't hate cancer? You like cancer? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS HITLER LOVER LIKES CANCER AND HOPES YOU ALL DIE FROM IT!

But seriously, I agree. Hate's too strong a word for these things (except for cancer & Hitler). I wouldn't say I dislike anything because it's popular. I think that's bad practice for human beings. If I ever find that I dislike something based on nothing else other than that it's popular, I force myself to check it out. Sometimes I go in and away thinking it's stupid, but sometimes I become a fan. Popular things are popular for a reason, after all.
I'm reminded of that Chris Rock comedy Head of State where a common guy gets chosen to run for president. Being a comedy, the candidates run ads like this:

Also, I'm surprised people don't do this in real life. It's ridiculous....but sadly it would probably work
Hah. That's not far from political ads nowadays. But that's another topic, I suppose.

Calibanbutcher said:
BarbaricGoose said:

<youtube=ULjCSK0oOlI>

Well then I shall go for the finishing blow:

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Lionsfan said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Lionsfan said:

Calibanbutcher said:
BarbaricGoose said:

<youtube=ULjCSK0oOlI>

Well then I shall go for the finishing blow:

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I hate bad things that are popular.
Valve, WoW, Pokeymanns, Call Of Duty Etc.
There is nothing I hate more than undeserved success.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
I hate 50 Shades of Gray because it is popular and crap. It angers me how something like that can make millions.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I personally don't hate something simply because it's "popular" for the time being. That's just a terrible reason to hate something, and the people that do that are probably just missing out on fun anywho. I've met plenty of people that refused to play Reach (when it first came out), watch movies like The Hunger Games, and refuse to play CoD simply because everyone else likes it.

It hurts meh brain, that path of logic. If I decide to like something, I like it regardless of who else likes it or if its popular.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Easily. If something doesn't appeal to me I'll ignore it with indifference. If everyone keeps bringing it up making it impossible for me to ignore it I'll start to hate it. I never have that issue with unpopular things.

LevROLL

Jun 12, 2011
Yes. All the time. And I can say, quite fairly, that a lot of it is undeserved. But that doesn't deter me. It only makes me belligerent.

Seriously, though. I don't know what a metahipster is but I've been called that. And I hate things that have anything to do with "meta." I just don't like it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Vault101 said:
COD- I can't exactly say COD is a bad game...but its reputation and everything surrounding it...its kind of hard not to hate it
The problem is not the reputation, it's the fact that the game is essentially broken. Spawn systems? Commando lunges? Shotguns will never be perfectly balanced?

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Country music, being because I am a straight up Metal/Metalcore/Hardcore enthusiast and almost half of Portage County Ohio, being the massive cornfield that it is, blares the shit. (Seriously if I had a buck for every time I heard some fucking redneck in a lifted F350 with a stack blaring "Big Green Tractor" I would be a very rich man.)

Feb 22, 2009
I don't hate stuff because it's popular, I hate stuff because I hate it, and if it's undeservedly popular that makes me notice it more and get more annoyed about it.

Captcha: respect me
Okay, captcha, okay... *fears*

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Nobody is going to admit they hate something because it is popular. Sometimes they'll convince themselves they hate it for other reasons. Other times they legitimately do hate it.
The reason popular things get a lot of hate is because they are popular, and thus it feels like they are shoved in your face, and it exaggerates their negative qualities you don't like.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
There are things that are popular that I really dislike. However, the fact that they are popular is not why I dislike them. Things like Twilight, most pop music, etc. are things that I would dislike regardless, but because of how widespread they are, I'm exposed to them at some point, so I formulate my opinion. I don't dislike them BECAUSE they're popular, I dislike them AND they're popular.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
I don't hate things because they're popular, it just so happens that I hate things that happen to be popular.
I agree, and I've often thought that perhaps this is so is because things which are popular appeal to the lowest common denominator.

That is, if it's something everyone can enjoy, odds are it's probably not that sophisticated/complicated in any particular area.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
50 Shades of grey- is a terrible terible book in anyway you can imagine, this becomes even moreannyoing when it sells so much and everyone and your mum is reading it...so
I think it's more "everyone's mum is reading it." :p

The Jakeinator said:
Not really, I think despite Justin Bieber's dumb hair and his awful singing career, he seems like a nice guy, so I'm a bit impervious to that mentality.
The thing about Justin Bieber to me is that his music is so damn forgettable I find it impossible to actually dislike. I could go looking for it and memorise it to develop a hatred for it, but why would I do that? Most of the time I hear it, I've forgotten it by the time I have time to form a thought. It's like the flashy thing from MiB.

So honestly, I don't get the hate for him. Not that I think people necessarily hate him because he's popular.

anyway, to the topic at hand, yes, but only technically.

I wouldn't know about 50 Shades or Twilight if they weren't hugely popular. If they weren't popular, they would have escaped my notice. I hate them (and most things I dislike) on their own merits, though. The above for being terrible writing. Also, Creed and nickelback for calling themselves music. That's an unforgivable transgression. >.>

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If you're hating things simply because a lot of people enjoy them, you are an asshole. I mean really, where's the reasoning behind that?

However, if you dislike something for other reasons and then hate it more because it's popular, that's acceptable.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
No. I will hate something that is popular if I'm constantly having to deal with it because of its popularity. Like over-played songs -- if I never hear "Moves Like Jagger" again it will be too soon...