Do you include the delivery fee in with the tip?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
RedDeadFred said:
WeepingAngels said:
RedDeadFred said:
No I do not. The delivery is an extra service. You pay extra because they are bringing it to your house and you don't have to go out. Not much else to say really, it seems kind of obvious to me.
...and you are charged a fee that is named "Delivery fee" that is included on the bill. Why should we pay the delivery fee twice?
You're not, you're paying the delivery fee and the tip. The delivery fee isn't for the employees in most cases. It's just the restaurant covering the gas and vehicle expenses while making some extra money for themselves. I don't usually tip the delivery people all that much though since it's not like they're checking on me throughout my meal and seeing if I need anything else.
Before they added on a delivery fee, I considered the tip to be the service fee for delivering. Friendly service is the job of anyone working with the public and I don't consider that to be an "extra" else I would be tipping the Wal Mart clerk too.

As the customer, I don't care how the fee is divided up amongst the store and the employees. Do you care how much of your Big Mac money is going towards the clerk or closer to home, do you care how much of your pizza money is going to the cook and how much is going to the store? I'll bet not but for drivers it's supposedly different but not all delivery drivers, just those who deliver pizza. It's not consistent at all.
Hmmm, ya you're right. I guess I've just always thought of them as a waiter/waitress who provides less services. Hence me tipping less. But you're right, I guess it's fairly understandable for why people would be hesitant to tip when there's already the delivery fee.

This is just me being curious now, do you tip when the restaurant doesn't charge a delivery fee? I know places like that aren't exactly common so maybe you've never even bought from one.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RedDeadFred said:
WeepingAngels said:
RedDeadFred said:
WeepingAngels said:
RedDeadFred said:
No I do not. The delivery is an extra service. You pay extra because they are bringing it to your house and you don't have to go out. Not much else to say really, it seems kind of obvious to me.
...and you are charged a fee that is named "Delivery fee" that is included on the bill. Why should we pay the delivery fee twice?
You're not, you're paying the delivery fee and the tip. The delivery fee isn't for the employees in most cases. It's just the restaurant covering the gas and vehicle expenses while making some extra money for themselves. I don't usually tip the delivery people all that much though since it's not like they're checking on me throughout my meal and seeing if I need anything else.
Before they added on a delivery fee, I considered the tip to be the service fee for delivering. Friendly service is the job of anyone working with the public and I don't consider that to be an "extra" else I would be tipping the Wal Mart clerk too.

As the customer, I don't care how the fee is divided up amongst the store and the employees. Do you care how much of your Big Mac money is going towards the clerk or closer to home, do you care how much of your pizza money is going to the cook and how much is going to the store? I'll bet not but for drivers it's supposedly different but not all delivery drivers, just those who deliver pizza. It's not consistent at all.
Hmmm, ya you're right. I guess I've just always thought of them as a waiter/waitress who provides less services. Hence me tipping less. But you're right, I guess it's fairly understandable for why people would be hesitant to tip when there's already the delivery fee.

This is just me being curious now, do you tip when the restaurant doesn't charge a delivery fee? I know places like that aren't exactly common so maybe you've never even bought from one.
I never have anything delivered other than pizza and I always have tipped even on top of the delivery fee but I am now rethinking that, hence this thread.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
I don't tip.

Usually pay by card so I don't pay over any cash normally.
They still have to bring you the receipt to sign, right? You could still write the tip onto the signed copy, without out having to have any cash on hand. That made my tally easier at the end of my shift.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
madwarper said:
AnarchistFish said:
I don't tip.

Usually pay by card so I don't pay over any cash normally.
They still have to bring you the receipt to sign, right? You could still write the tip onto the signed copy, without out having to have any cash on hand. That made my tally easier at the end of my shift.
Nah not in the UK. You still have to use your signature for things like that in the US don't you? I never even developed much of a signature.

Read this interesting article about them recently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27311868

How would that work anyway if you've already paid and have no cash?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Nah not in the UK. You still have to use your signature for things like that in the US don't you? I never even developed much of a signature.
[snip]
How would that work anyway if you've already paid and have no cash?
It's mostly a CYA act on the part of the seller. So, in case the buyer comes back at a later point and time and tries to reverse the charges, the seller can say, "Look, they consented to pay for the product, we have their signature on our copy of the receipt." And, as the buyer, you can either write in a tip, or specifically write in that there's no tip (to make sure the deliverer doesn't add it themself).

But, as for the specifics, I'm not sure how that works. When I worked register at the deli, we already ran the card. I'm not sure if they had to cancel the first out and run it a second time, or just run it again just for the tip.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Since I am not earning any money, I cannot TIP anyone. I can't even donate money.
When I have money, I'll invent my own TIPing system. But that'll be after I set up a direct debit with Cancer Research UK and other charities.

I've only tipped by accident. Some places assume any change is tip... which... is very nice of them to think on my behalf... but I kinda need my change.