Do you include the delivery fee in with the tip?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Johnny Impact said:
There is a charge for delivery, part of which goes to compensate the driver for gas, wear and tear on vehicle, etc, the rest to the company to cover the monstrous insurance costs involved in employing drivers.
This part has surprised me before in earlier discussions, here employers own and supply the vehicles used. No driver would pay for gas or maintenance.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
shootthebandit said:
so surely there should be no excuse for people who live there to be ignorant.
I completely agree. Though, that doesn't stop certain Americans from spouting "I don't believe in tipping".

And, don't call me Shirley.
If a minimum wage was properly implemented then employees would not have to rely on tips and they would receive a fair wage.
This has nothing to do with minimum wage. As someone that delivered food, as opposed to just a server, I was using my personal vehicle, so that's extra gas, wear and tear that's coming out of my pocket, just so the person that ordered their food to be delivered doesn't have to get off their backside.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Guilt trip? Won't someone think of the poor driver?

Here's what would happen if people stopped tipping pizza drivers. Fewer and fewer people would be willing or able to deliver pizza and that would force employers to:

1) Pay the drivers min wage at the least

2) Give the delivery fee to the driver

3) Stop offering pizza delivery

You don't stop a practice you don't agree with by continuing to participate in said practice.
Ugh, this conversation bores me. I don't have time to educate people in economics.

This is what will happen:
Market demand for jobs of any kind is relatively inflexible. Demand for individual drivers is highly flexible; delivering pizza is not a high-skill profession. If a fraction of consumers (it will always be a fraction, unless you have a mind control device you didn't tell me about) stop paying tips, then drivers will be a little worse off. Most likely they'll stick with their job because they don't have a better one; they'll just have to live slightly shittier lives. Some will try to find new ones and maybe they'll leave the job. A few others will decide "this is no longer worth it" and quit. Businesses will higher the next poor schmucks in a long, long line of poor schmucks to fill their place. After all, the barrier of entry to being a driver (aka owning a driver's license) is extremely low, and with U-6 unemployment at around 12.5%, there are a lot of people who want work. The only thing that changes is that these poor schmucks get to deal with reduced total income, thanks to your ill-advised moral crusade.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
madwarper said:
shootthebandit said:
so surely there should be no excuse for people who live there to be ignorant.
I completely agree. Though, that doesn't stop certain Americans from spouting "I don't believe in tipping".

If a minimum wage was properly implemented then employees would not have to rely on tips and they would receive a fair wage.
This has nothing to do with minimum wage. As someone that delivered food, as opposed to just a server, I was using my personal vehicle, so that's extra gas, wear and tear that's coming out of my pocket, just so the person that ordered their food to be delivered doesn't have to get off their backside.
So much hate for customers without which, you wouldn't have the job at all. Were you atleast friendly to these lazy people?

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
KingsGambit said:
If I pay a delivery fee, I don't pay a tip. I've already paid for the service so there is no extra service being provided that warrants a tip.
IF you live in the US I strongly recommend you NEVER order from the same place twice...

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
If I pay a delivery fee, I don't pay a tip. I've already paid for the service so there is no extra service being provided that warrants a tip.
IF you live in the US I strongly recommend you NEVER order from the same place twice...
Would you explain why? I am sure everyone is curious about what would happen.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
madwarper said:
Most places I order from (on the rare occasion) they are almost always FREE delivery within roughly 3 miles. I dont even consider paying for something advertised as free. Im not saying I shouldnt (for reasons you have said) but you see the FREE and you instantly assume their is no charge.

Like Ive said before these threads become a clash of 2 cultures. Here in the UK we very much have a mentally of paying for the price displayed. So if it says FREE delivery we will pay nothing

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
Anywhere from slower service to... "extras" added to your pizza. I personally would never do that but if I knew someone I was delivering/serving didn't tip at all I would certainly take my sweet ass time getting to them cause literally everyone else would be ahead of them in my eyes. Anyone who doesn't tip has clearly never worked in a tip subsidized job. I personally think companies should pay at LEAST minimum wage so people don't have to tip, but that's unfortunately not the world we live in. So if you don't tip someone it's the equivalent of saying "Naw I don't think you should eat today."

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I live in the UK. An im not going to tip some one for doing their job. They get paid to deliver food, or be a waitress or bar staff. I only tip if the staff have been quick or been informative when asking them about food on the menu. We have a minimum wage in the UK so they are paid well for their job. In America they use tipping as an excuse to pay their staff shitty wages and personally i dont think its up to the customers to pay tips to prop up the wages the management should be paying. An i refuse to be guilted into it.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Why not count the delivery fee as part of the tip? I mean why am I giving a tip to the driver but not the cook? Isn't it because the driver actually delivered my pizza and if that's the case, then isn't the tip really just a second delivery fee? If I had picked up the pizza, should I tip the cook if he or she was friendly?
Because that fee is for the convenience of not having to leave the damn house. If you just don't want to tip, then don't.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I wait until I get my change to see if they have kept any, it has happened more often than not, if they haven't I will give 10%ish, if they have NOTHING!!!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
Anywhere from slower service to... "extras" added to your pizza. I personally would never do that but if I knew someone I was delivering/serving didn't tip at all I would certainly take my sweet ass time getting to them cause literally everyone else would be ahead of them in my eyes. Anyone who doesn't tip has clearly never worked in a tip subsidized job. I personally think companies should pay at LEAST minimum wage so people don't have to tip, but that's unfortunately not the world we live in. So if you don't tip someone it's the equivalent of saying "Naw I don't think you should eat today."
So you condone bad service to people who don't give you extra money? This is the problem with mandatory tips, it's no longer about rewarding good service but rather about preventing bad service.

I want to know more about these "extras" added to the pizza. Tell us more about why we should have sympathy for delivery drivers.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I live in the UK. An im not going to tip some one for doing their job. They get paid to deliver food, or be a waitress or bar staff. I only tip if the staff have been quick or been informative when asking them about food on the menu. We have a minimum wage in the UK so they are paid well for their job. In America they use tipping as an excuse to pay their staff shitty wages and personally i dont think its up to the customers to pay tips to prop up the wages the management should be paying. An i refuse to be guilted into it.
Agreed! The shitty wages isn't on the customer, it's on the employer.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I could swear that in the U.S. if your tips don't reach minimum wage, your employer has to cover the difference. I haven't worked in food service so I don't know exactly.

I always tip, in the U.S. it's just common courtesy. I'll usually tip about two to five dollars, depending on how good the service was. I work a minimum wage job too, but I know the food service gig is a tough one. I don't mind helping out by giving a little. I can't help with the delivery fee, as I get my pizza from a place about two minutes away.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
So you condone bad service to people who don't give you extra money? This is the problem with mandatory tips, it's no longer about rewarding good service but rather about preventing bad service.

I want to know more about these "extras" added to the pizza. Tell us more about why we should have sympathy for delivery drivers.
Do you live in the U.S.? If you do you are almost always expected to tip. It's just the way it is. By extras, they mean spit and maybe some small trash off the floor or hair. And you should have sympahty becuase they do not make minimum wage, they make about 3.75-4.75 an hour. The tips are meant to cover the difference. I mentioned in my post that I think the employer is meant to cover the difference if they don't make minimum wage, but I can't be sure. If you live in the U.K. just dismiss this last part.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:

SonOfVoorhees said:
Agreed! The shitty wages isn't on the customer, it's on the employer.
EXTRA money, that's ripe. I started off by saying IF this person lives in America.... But no "Extra" is by FAR NOT what these people are making. Do you know tipped employee's can make as little as 2 dollars something an hour? That "Extra" is what they need to survive. I agree it's shitty of the company not to pay them more, but by screwing that worker you're not helping.
I don't condone spitting/adding things to food but I DO condone slower service/less than exceptional service to people who refuse to tip.

Apr 5, 2008
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
Well any company that employs people who do that would likely not be in business long. A delivery fee is charged *specifically* to compensate the company and delivery person for the cost incurred by providing the service. It is levied to cover the time, gas and any other expense incurred from having someone deliver the goods. I have, in the delivery fee, already paid to compensate the company and employee for the service they're providing. Actually delivering the product therefore is not a sign of a job well done, a service rendered with noteworthy aplomb or providing a better or more enjoyable service than was already paid for, agreed to and expected.

And rest assured, if food was delivered cold or contaminated, I'd be getting a refund which the company would likely claw back from the pocket and/or hide of the idiot who "took their sweet ass time" or added "extras" in the first place.

If it is free delivery, I'll let them keep whatever change from the nearest reasonable currency unit. If I pay a delivery fee, I will wait for my change.

I personally think companies should pay at LEAST minimum wage
I imagine lawmakers would firmly agree with you on this point.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
This is a disgusting attitude to have. You can be passive aggressive all you want but its not going to achieve anything. Instead of hitting out at the customer why not hit out at your employer or even the government. As a driver why not park across your employers door, why not picket or petition or join/organise a union. Why no go to your local politician or go to a national politician and demand a minimum wage?

No instead you decide to be passive aggressive and spit in customers food. The customer is not to blame for this. The customer is forced to pay the wages of the staff directly because an EMPLOYER feel that paying their staff isnt their job.

Surely the number of people who earn less than minimum wage supplemented by tips is a large enough group that they could make an impact if only <10% were part of a union

When i say "you" i dont mean "you" its just a generic pronoun

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Elfgore said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:

Do you live in the U.S.? If you do you are almost always expected to tip. It's just the way it is. By extras, they mean spit and maybe some small trash off the floor or hair. And you should have sympahty becuase they do not make minimum wage, they make about 3.75-4.75 an hour. The tips are meant to cover the difference. I mentioned in my post that I think the employer is meant to cover the difference if they don't make minimum wage, but I can't be sure. If you live in the U.K. just dismiss this last part.
Yes, people who would grossly damage your food because you don't give a tip are supposed to be sympathetic? Wow! Surely it isn't legal to damage food in that manner.

So if the employer makes up the difference up to min wage then drivers do make atleast min wage. I'll look into that.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
KingsGambit said:
Qizx said:
WeepingAngels said:
Qizx said:
KingsGambit said:
Well any company that employs people who do that would likely not be in business long. A delivery fee is charged *specifically* to compensate the company and delivery person for the cost incurred by providing the service. It is levied to cover the time, gas and any other expense incurred from having someone deliver the goods. I have, in the delivery fee, already paid to compensate the company and employee for the service they're providing. Actually delivering the product therefore is not a sign of a job well done, a service rendered with noteworthy aplomb or providing a better or more enjoyable service than was already paid for, agreed to and expected.

And rest assured, if food was delivered cold or contaminated, I'd be getting a refund which the company would likely claw back from the pocket and/or hide of the idiot who "took their sweet ass time" or added "extras" in the first place.

If it is free delivery, I'll let them keep whatever change from the nearest reasonable currency unit. If I pay a delivery fee, I will wait for my change.

I personally think companies should pay at LEAST minimum wage
I imagine lawmakers would firmly agree with you on this point.
Suddenly I understand why these topics tend to get heated. Apparently people don't understand that by not tipping you're literally fucking over the person. I looked up the laws and in almost half the states you can pay tipped workers 2.13 an hour. Try living off that. You can get all the refunds you want, eventually you'll learn not to order from a place if you don't ever tip at all. Seriously learn to realize you're just fucking over the workers not "The Man."

Aarun

Apr 10, 2013
As a Brit, me and some friends tipped our waiter during a trip to Pizza Hut for the first time in our lives the other day. Why did we tip him? Because he was genuinely nice and had actually managed to fall over and injure himself (we saw the proof!) whilst trying to prepare our desserts so quickly.