Do you judge people by their spelling?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I don't think I understand the question: are we talking about someone with the occasional typo, or "sum1 who types liek dis?"

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
It depends, if someone is like:
"I'm here at hte Escpaist and I love it here!" I don't think any less of them.
but
If its like:
"IMA HER @ TEH ESCAPIZT N I LUV I HER!" I can't help but think less of that person.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Yes, but generally only when in certain context. A couple of examples:

If someone is obviously trying to sound intellectual yet they keep mixing up things like "they're" and "their," I can't help but take them less seriously.

If someone is explicitly talking about, say, the Rogue class in an RPG or a game with Rogue in the title and they keep spelling it "rouge," I can't help but look down on them a little.

Oh, and text typing always bugs me. I get it when you're actually texting but on a forum, and particularly in a serious discussion, you just look really bad when your post appears to be the equivalent of "c u l8r."

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
You must be American and think English is the only language spoken in the World...
You heard it from Anoni Mus first people: Americans are the only ones who speak English, so could be the only ones who make this mistake...

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
To be honest chat speak bothers me a hell of a lot but what I actually notice is Syntax and Diction. Pepole who casually structure sentences and use moderate sized words are earn my ear much faster. It does not have to be anything big, but i love it when posts are broken up into separate ideas by punctuation and paragraphs, it makes it easier to follow than someone who does not use them.

Still I look for content. A wall of text can be full of great content, but it is still difficult to follow because of the lack of punctuation.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
If they can't spell simple words, than yes. It's also a pet peeve of mine when people respond to text messages with "k" when I typed out a nice paragraph, but that's beside the point.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
hudsonzero said:
i'm dyslexic so no.
you mean lysdexic? =D (joking)

Anyways, OT: It depends. If I know the person's main language isn't English,then I understand bad spelling, and I don't mind common mistakes from people who speak English when they're kept at a minimum. In those cases I can read through it.

But when I know someone who knows English as a first language, and they stink at spelling, then I generally try to read through it while it pisses me off to an extent to do so. I.E. I have a friend who generally can write neatly, make decent stories, etc. He can't spell worth a damn though, and it pisses me off. >.<

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
To a degree.
I get annoyed by the their/they're/there kind of thing, but I'm usually willing to let that slide.
It's when people start replacing entire words with single letters and numbers that I start to rage.
The moment you use "2" instead of "too", or even worse, "ur" instead of "you're", you no longer exist as a person to me.

and when it comes to grammar i'm usually forgiving it's when people just don't give two shits about making what they write readable that I get ticked off there's a difference between being bad at something and simply being a lazy asshole you can tell when someone just don't care and just writes what pops into their minds without any consideration for their readers and its really annoying when people don't use capital letters or punctuation because it makes it very hard to read and AAAAAAAAAARRRGH

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Of course I do. If you can't even be bothered to equip your browser with a spell-checker, then why should I bother paying attention to your post?

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
the27thvoice said:
I catch myself often dismissing people entirely because of their spelling. Not the occasional typo, but the consistent mistaking of words like their/there/they're or where/were/we're, words that sound alike when spoken out loud.
If someone posts anything starting with "My aunt and uncle own a shop and when were going to there place..." I tune out, decide that this poster is an idiot and completely ignore anything they have to say, no matter how valid or thoughtful it may be.

Does anybody else have this experience?

PS: Since I'm sitting in a glass house throwing stones, let's just assume any errors in my own post are put there for satirical purposes.
Yes, but nowhere nearly as harsh as that. If they have a valid point, then they have a valid point. Though, I will probably be scrutinizing their words a bit more than I would someone who writes well.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
If it's anywhere else on the internet, I will try to read it to the best of my ability, and hate them for making it try, but here, I know there are people from different countries, so I give them a little leeway.

Unless it's blatantly obvious they're being morons "4nd tlkng lyke dis fur reelz", then I'll ignore them

drew8800

Nov 11, 2009
On question of judging people for poor spelling, yes I do. It isn't difficult, especially in an age where most browsers have a spell-checker embedded in them, to have proper spelling.

Grammar, on the other hand, is more difficult. As it's been pointed out already English may not be the person's first language thus making it difficult for a person to form proper syntax. I'll be the first to point out that my grammar isn't stellar, which is why I don't judge on that.

Spelling though? You bet.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
No, sometimes I might type 'Their' instead of 'There' without realising it, other people make the same innocent mistake.
Some people are dyslexic etc., too.

Wen ppl take da piss nd write lyk dis tho,,, ye i will judge em lyk.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
If I did that, half my friends wouldn't be my friends...

I admit, it's kind of a pet peeve of mine and I used to always correct everyone's spelling for them, but nowadays I've relaxed on it as I can read what they're putting and know what they mean (almost all the time, anyway). I try not to judge people on their spelling though like I said, it's a peeve of mine when people constantly misspell words, even after you help them with wordings...

I do sometimes judge someone's general intelligence by their spelling, but I won't say anything directly or dismiss them completely because of it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
the27thvoice said:
I catch myself often dismissing people entirely because of their spelling. Not the occasional typo, but the consistent mistaking of words like their/there/they're or where/were/we're, words that sound alike when spoken out loud.
If someone posts anything starting with "My aunt and uncle own a shop and when were going to there place..." I tune out, decide that this poster is an idiot and completely ignore anything they have to say, no matter how valid or thoughtful it may be.

Does anybody else have this experience?

PS: Since I'm sitting in a glass house throwing stones, let's just assume any errors in my own post are put there for satirical purposes.
If they make the kind of mistake you referenced, no. I only start completely disregarding people if they decide that they need to use text abbreviations like "ur" all the time and write paragraphs that are one giant run-on sentence. And that's pretty much only because I can't read the entire thing without going "oh fuck this" due to the lack of proper sentences. So I guess my real beef is more with grammar than spelling, but whatever.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
There's a fine line between a few honest typos and little grammar mistakes and typing like a complete twat.

So yeah, if it's TOO much of an abomination to read...

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Like most people, I have no problem with the occasional typo, and especially in terms of people whose first language is not English, I've got all the the time in the the world for them, as I just can't get my head around other languages.

It's only when typing like a complete dick is a choice that I have a problem with it, like 90% of people who have ever posted a comment on youtube. Top tip guys, most of the symbols above the numbers on your keyboard are NOT in fact part of the regular alphabet, please don't scatter them randomly among the words you're trying to form.

However, it's just irritating when people just seem to live for scanning your post for minor mistakes, don't they have anything better to do? It's not like an grammatical or spelling error makes your point any less relevant.