Do you like combo or skill videos?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thanks! Here's more from SmvR:

Ffs, the game just came out last month. I’m thinking this goes beyond raw learned skill, and that some people just have a more natural ability for this kinda thing. Same with learning moves and combos in fighting games. Some people just have more bedrock of that foundational ability. Like, if we both practiced for 100 hours on this game, I guarantee I’d still suck, but perhaps at least not quite as much. Hats off to people who can pull this stuff off.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ffs, the game just came out last month. I’m thinking this goes beyond raw learned skill, and that some people just have a more natural ability for this kinda thing. Same with learning moves and combos in fighting games. Some people just have more bedrock of that foundational ability. Like, if we both practiced for 100 hours on this game, I guarantee I’d still suck, but perhaps at least not quite as much. Hats off to people who can pull this stuff off.
Some of the most skilled players I've seen on YouTube still make mistakes. XLHGladiator has plenty bloopers/goofs at the end of DMC5, DMD, No Death and No Damage videos. Even those with the natural talents. I don't see myself going through Returnal though. Not worth the headache as rouge-likes do nothing for me. I do give props too for those that can pull it off exceedingly naturally.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What makes it most impressive is the lack of lock-on in a game where camera positioning is vital. Similar case here but also with a bunch of house rules on the Sigrun fight -
Actually sometimes the locking system can totally screw you over. I've run into that a lot in recent games, like Surge, Surge 2, and Fallen Order. The way the game will sometimes prioritize who you lock onto, or how you cycle through targets, in a way that almost feels intentionally designed to kill you. I've had several situations where the chaos was so high, I just unlocked and started swinging freestyle.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Actually sometimes the locking system can totally screw you over. I've run into that a lot in recent games, like Surge, Surge 2, and Fallen Order. The way the game will sometimes prioritize who you lock onto, or how you cycle through targets, in a way that almost feels intentionally designed to kill you. I've had several situations where the chaos was so high, I just unlocked and started swinging freestyle.

Yeah it’s definitely game dependent and highly situational. Like in GoW for instance those Valkyrie fights are largely one on one, but from the no lock on videos he’s constantly having to swing the camera wildly due to their fast movements all around the arenas. Seems like it would add more difficultly keeping track of the target on top of actually fighting them, but they’re obviously better at the game than me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah it’s definitely game dependent and highly situational. Like in GoW for instance those Valkyrie fights are largely one on one, but from the no lock on videos he’s constantly having to swing the camera wildly due to their fast movements all around the arenas. Seems like it would add more difficultly keeping track of the target on top of actually fighting them, but they’re obviously better at the game than me.
Well a lot of times, one of the layers of difficulty these games include, is attacks the enemies do, that break your target lock anyway. So it's something you have to be constantly reapplying. It can actually mess you up more, as the lock is lost, and the camera whips back around to it's default position, forcing you to whip it BACK to where you were looking, instead of facing. It might actually make things a bit easier in some respects. Plus you can jack up the camera movement scale pretty high, making that whiparound a quick thing.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Doing moves is highly blown out of proportion and one of the easier components of being good in fighting games, it's more about getting to a point to land those moves, that's the tricky bit, it takes way longer to learn than just learning how to do an input.

Also 100 hours is not that much as far as fighting games go. Fighting games have skill transfer between them, so in a sense every 2D fighting game you ever played in your entire life contributes to how used you are gonna be to the next one that's gonna come out, so if you lack such a vast amount of experience you can't expect to match people who have it, but you not matching it doesn't make you talentless, it just makes them extremely skilled. I legit need to just look at a movelist and I can do the moves now with no practice at all on a game I've never played before, been able to do this for at least a decade now as well, same with most combos too, but I still don't know the first thing about playing the game if it's new and need to practice a ton to figure that out each time.

Basically, you're confusing the contrast of someone with 10000 hours of playtime going up against someone with 500 hours of playtime for an issue of talent when it in fact is an issue of effort and experience.

I'm in the process of compiling my replays from the recent Guilty Gear Strive beta, I got a good couple hours of footage in there, so you can see how much improvement I achieve in those couple of hours despite already being able to do all the moves from the beginning. I look like a totally different playing the span of maybe 50 fights lol.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Here's some freshly made Chipp tech that I created just a couple hours ago~

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I had to put speed to .25 to notice it -

The opposite side of the coin that typically pegs this MK as slower and more casual.

Reactions: BrawlMan