Do you preorder anymore

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
After being shafted so many times with Preorders, I think I'm just going to stop preordering games. Since most of my games is on Steam I no longer see the benefits as the game will always be available, even if I want a retail copy there will be enough copies actually sitting on the shelves.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Yes.

Enhanced Answer: For some things. Usually games I played the beta for, or I'm hyped enough for there really isn't a question of whether or not I'm in like a dirty shirt at launch.

I'm generally pretty aware of what I'm in for, though. I've regretted very, very few purchases over the many years I've gamed.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
For games I actually want e.g. Fallout 4, next Mass Effect, I will preorder. For games I think look interesting, I will probably wait to see the reviews.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
No.

Enhanced answer: I hardly ever preorder games anyway, I'm sure not going to stop now, since it's almost impossible to do. I've preordered a total of two things (Portal 2 being the oldest one). They were going to be three things but I couldn't spare the cash.

BloatedGuppy said:
I'm generally pretty aware of what I'm in for, though. I've regretted very, very few purchases over the many years I've gamed.
Same.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I still do and I always will.

Why? A good chunk of my games can and will be hard to find in a very short while.

felbot

May 11, 2011
no, not after what happened with from dust and borderlands 2 no, honestly regret pre-ordering those 2 games and i have just decided to not do it any more.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Yes.

Enhanced Answer: It usually happens when I'm bored (and I'm too lazy to wait for a price drop) or when it's a game I'm super hyped for.

I've started pre-ordering more stuff recently since I started using Shopto to buy some games (free, first class delivery at decent prices), like right now I have Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on preorder from them.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
No thanks. I preordered stronghold 3.... The rest is history :p

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yup yup.

Enhanced Answer: When I preorder something I'm very much aware of what I'm getting myself into, and I very rarely regret my decision. I've only had that happen to me once with Brink. I typically preorder games that have already established themselves and I hardly gamble on new IPs unless it's by a developer that has proven themselves to me.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Depends, I will pre order ME4 as I have loved every second of no. 2 and 3 (first not so much) but if haze 2 was up for pre order, then I would skip it.

I think of it like trust, almost. If I like the first game, the second has a good chance of a pre orde. Except in cases such as dragon age 2, which due to its demo shot itself in the foot!

Another factor is the dev, I don't usually get into the "politics" of gaming. If EA releases something I like the look of, I will be more inclined to pre order. And the other hand indie and little known devs are a detractor, as I don't know what they're like (like Bethesda are known for being buggy but grand scale).

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It really depends on the game and my financial situation at the time. If it's a game series I truly love, or perhaps a new IP that has me so enthralled I must get it at launch (watch dogs or even Destiny as examples). Even then I've let some games that are generally received as awesome slip me by since I can't justify putting money on them. Dishonored being one of them. Not to mention at the moment I'm trying to save up cash for the next generation, so buying games from here till then will be a debate with myself, let alone pre ordering for something I don't even know will be good or bad.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
The last game I preordered was Borderlands 2. In general I don't preorder very much, but I do on occasion when I have the money offhand.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah, I never been disappointed by my pre-orders and I get bonus goodies for something I was going to pay for anyways. Though my ability to judge games before they're out must be borderline psychic since I've haven't been wrong yet.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Anymore? I never did . And i will even less now that people are trying to actively screw me over . Even games i know i'll buy day one , i won't preorder . It's pointless in my opinion, unless you want a CE , but mosT CE are bullshit anyways so .

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Not really. Last thing I preordered was Halo 4, and that was because it was a sure thing. I was a Halo fan, and of course I was going to get the newest Halo. Before that? I think I stopped preordering things in 2011. Everything after then I waited until the reviews were in, except of course for Halo.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Yes, I do. Generally I'm very careful about what I pre-order, getting as much information I can before I do so.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
I've got a couple of things on preorder now...though I tend to preorder through Amazon which makes canceling easier. I'm a sucker for in game do-dads (Superman's Red Son costume got me to preorder Injustice. Bloody Palace and Vergil's Downfall got me to preorder DmC. etc. etc.). Still, the Colonial Marines debacle has me a little more cautious now. But as long as I feel I'm getting some value out of preordering (particularly with Amazon as there's no money down involved), I'll probably keep doing it.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I don't so much pre-order as I do reserve at the store.

The way it works in GAME (UK games chain) is that y'put down a deposit for the store to allocate you a copy; this also goes for limited or special editions, I guess it's not really advisable to do so, as it still means a guaranteed sale when the store orders the games, but it's something I would have bought on release anyway, so why not put down for a limited edition if I like the extras?

and I'm speaking strictly physical extras. That's pretty much why, because they're limited editions in which I like the extra shiny things.

I *did* pre-order XCOM last year, in the sense of paying in advance for it, didn't exactly have a negative experience, but I know it's not something to be encouraged. Paying in advance I mean, not XCOM. I loved XCOM.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Nope.

The only reason I used to pre-order back in the day was because stores around here never stocked enough copies to go around. These days though, mostly thanks to Amazon, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Beyond that, pre-ordering a game back in the day meant putting $5 down. These days it means paying for the full game up-front. At least with $5 down I wouldn't lose much if I got second thoughts and decided to bail on my pre-order based on initial reviews and released content.