Do you put helmets on your characters?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
If you're playing an RPG or some such with a customizable character (like Elder Scrolls, for example) do you wear a helmet? In lots of games, the additional protection comes down to a mere couple of points and you're not going to miss it if you don't have one.

In my case, usually not. Although I play Oblivion (and soon, Skyrim) in first person, there are the menu and third person modes that let you see your character. After putting so much effort into not having my character's face look retarded, I want to see that. Plus, it's a niggling thing but in lots of RPGs, the important characters tend to have their faces visible while the helmeted grunts flock around them. Although if it seems like something that would be done in the situation, I will put one on him for roleplay purposes.
you're preparing to assault the grand Oblivion Gate. Martin's in the Imperial Dragon armor and the soldiers are forming up and you're basically going to war. That seemed like a situation when my character would.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I do if I need the protection. But mostly, I'll pick an aesthetically pleasing hat instead.

I like hats.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Marter said:
I like hats.
As do I. I've got a burgeoning hat collection so far. I'm currently on the prowl for a good fez, stetson and top hat. (Not in a game, I mean)

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
In most games, I avoid wearing helmets. Oblivion, Mount & Blade: Warband, etc, I go around without headgear.
ME2 and Fallout: New Vegas, I wear certain helms.
I guess it really comes down to whether I like the look of a helmet enough.
And since they tend to be different with each game, whether or not I wear a helmet changes between the games.
Of course, not wearing a helmet is a hazard on Mount & Blade: Warband when trying to take a castle, it's a real pain with enemy archers >.>

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
I've never thought of not wearing a hat in rpg games, I play world of warcraft and I always just went for the stat boost but now I think about it, it wdnt make much of a difference :)

Sam_Winchester

Sep 24, 2009
This was one thing that Dragon Age 2 did that I wish all other RPGs did. You could put a helmet on your character and get the added stats that come with it, but you could also enable the option to have your helmet be invisible outside of your inventory screen (and in a Bioware game where there is a lot of close up conversation, this is a godsend).

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I prefer helmeted Characters always, but the helmet must look cool.

Like so:

Gears of war:

Halo:

Fallout:

Dead Space:

Inner Pickle

Nov 8, 2010
It depends entirely on the awesomeness of the hat in question. I tend to prefer the aesthetic of a hat over the stats they provide though. Usually I play mage so hats are usually pretty sweet to look at unless you're playing Dragon Age Origins in which case then screw the hats, seriously. A bucket covered in sequins does not an awesome mage make.

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
I'm a min maxer, if I can get a tenth of a percent to crit chance for it, i'd put a grass skirt and a parka on my fallout3 character.

IrisEver

Sep 8, 2011
It's usually a hard one for me. On one hand, I do like seeing my characters face. I spend quite a lot of time (if it's a customisable character) making a character that I find visually appealing. I want to see him/her.

On the other, I suppose it kind of tugs at me if I see my character in combat without a helmet. He/she would be wearing a helmet, he/she certainly wouldn't be so stupid as to not wear one if one was available and could be comfortably worn. Whatever ingame bonuses the helmet gives are almost always a non-issue (unless they're extreme), it's more how I feel about the situation.

I almost always end up putting a helmet on my character. My fondness of more 'realistic' combat scenarios outweighs my fondness for how my character looks. At least eventually.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Finally I want to see a game where I could wear a helmet and see through it in the first person view (Is it possible to do something like that in M&B Warband, anyone?)
And usually I like helmets if they don't look retarded... I mean, If it look like a head of second Tin Man's cousin. I prefer real helmets on my characters, preferably veiled with chainmail

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
It's combat, for the love of god wear your damn helmet and some sensible armor, no DA rogue Leather armor+cleavage window is not proper armor come back with a plain chain mail hauberk, you can wear the slut armor around town.

That's pretty much my feelings, and yes I am a guy and I do normally play chicks...in full plate mail.

Mordekaien said:
Finally I want to see a game where I could wear a helmet and see through it in the first person view (Is it possible to do something like that in M&B Warband, anyone?)
And usually I like helmets if they don't look retarded... I mean, If it look like a head of second Tin Man's cousin. I prefer real helmets on my characters, preferably veiled with chainmail
There is a mod for Fallout: NV that give all the helmets FPV's some of them are pretty awesome, until they crack all up of course.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
It depends on the type of game honestly.
If my character is suppose to be a super elite of greater than normal power then there is no need for a helmet because "No Helmet = Stronger"

If my characters is suppose to be a soldier of a non legendary level then I'm definitely wearing a helmet.

In situations that its sort of middle ground it depends on the ugly factor of the helmet in question.

superdevildude85

Aug 4, 2011
I prefer to wear helmets in the start of games, when I need the protection, but as soon as my character has enough natural protection, Off comes the helmet. Unless I can find an amazingly badass helmet, or I play the game 1st person primarily.

Grotch Willis

May 10, 2011
I usually wear helmets regardless, because if im playing a game, like say oblivion or new vegas, i'm playing in 1st person so i don't see my character besides the inventory screen. So i always wear a helmet to get the defense boost plus other perks (if applicable). Where as in Mass Effect, i didn't wear a helmet in the first game, but I did wear the death mask in Mass Effect 2, because i thought it looked cool. It depends on the game really.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Depends on if there are any good ones.
If so, i usually will. Not only because it looks awesome, but for the protection too.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
If I spend more than two minutes on my character's face, you can be damn sure I'm going to want to show it off. This may change for certain appropriate quests/missions, but for the most part, helmet-less is the way to go.