Do you swear much?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Ever since I finished my military service some 7-odd months ago, I've noticed many times how my language has become far more rough and the bar of entry for swear words has been lowered significantly. I've thought about how much I hear my friends swear, and noticed that in comparison I'm quite the potty mouth. I'm trying to keep it low, but often the words just come spontaneously and so fast I only think about it afterwards.

Today I took it to a new level by swearing in class while asking the teacher for help. I'm in a university of applied sciences, so traditional "school rules" don't apply so much there anymore, but I still felt kinda embarassed about it afterwards. Granted, I was very, very frustrated when asking the teacher for help, but I could have at least just grunted or mumbled it instead of using quite a strong phrase out loud.

So have you had similar experiences? Do you swear much in general? At home, at school, at work, online, whatever. When I post things online I often pause to think "Would I say this aloud in my native language?" before posting things, so I might swear more IRL than online. Comments, thoughts.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
I know that feeling.

Back when I lived at my parents I used to live a "double-life". Most of my family and close relatives were working class atheists with a very liberal attitude towards swearing while most of my friends were of the churchgoing kind. So I was accustomed to changing my language use depending on the situation.

Now I've lived by myself for 3 years while studying and made some mighty colorful friends and every time I visit my old friends back home it just feels very strange to have to think ahead and restrict your own tongue, so to speak.

This has lead to some embarrassing slips at unfortunate moments as you sure can imagine...

Dec 14, 2009
At home and with friends, I swear all the time :D

At work, even I have some level or professionalism, so no, I don't swear.

Also, because it was gonna get posted eventually.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Us Scots do like a good bit of swearing, and it's safe to say I haven't exactly shied away from my national heritage in this regard. Besides the video that Daystar dastardly posted before anyone else could, I believe Fred MacAulay sums us up quite well in this bit from Mock The Week

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really (my parent didn't swear alot when I was growing up). The only time that I do swear is either when I'm in trouble, in pain or out of frustration (usually game related).

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Good Lord yes! I have such a potty mouth and it's landed me in nasty trouble before. Most of the time it's completely unintentional, but I wish I could stop. I need to practice being a little more polished.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Fuck yes, I swear to my parents and everyone else. Maybe not strangers or people of authority like teachers/police etc, for those exceptions I'll put on my "Polite mask".

I will literally go downstairs and greet my mum in the following manner:

"Morning bellend, you alright?"

My friends and family have accepted it as my method of greeting someone.

Dec 14, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Us Scots do like a good bit of swearing, and it's safe to say I haven't exactly shied away from my national heritage in this regard. Besides the video that Daystar dastardly posted before anyone else could, I believe Fred MacAulay sums us up quite well in this bit from Mock The Week

[HEADING=1]Fuckin'... boo![/HEADING]

I use that all the time, Scottish accent and all :D

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Friends? All the time, but not excessively. I usually develop my own swears instead of your run-of-the-mill cuss words. Just combine a regular swear with an unrelated noun aaaaand PRESTO! You have an original swear, you piss-panderer!

Family? Not so much, but they don't get offended if it's fitting to use.

Work? No.

Jan 27, 2011
Depends on the scenario.

Alone or with friends, I swear a pretty decent amount and with a mid-to-high level of crassness (example: YOU EVIL MOTHER!@#$ER! WHY DID YOU PUT A !@#$ING MINE THERE YOU SPOONY BARD! ARGH!!!). Not to the point of punctuation, but I still swear a good deal. More when I'm frustrated, though. I've called Badass enemies in Borderlands a lot of unsavory things, not to mention the (real life) bread knife I cut myself with one time. I think that thing still resents the words I used to describe it. :p

With my family, I barely swear at all. Sometimes I say "shit" at stuff that's really bad, but I rarely ever go further than that.

With my girlfriend (and not also among my other friends), it's somewhere in between. I try not to swear too much, but I'm not averse to dropping the occasional F-bomb if the situation calls for it. (example: This news story really freakin' pisses me off. I mean...what the !@#$ were these assholes thinking?!)

Online? I'm sure some of you guys notice that I "!@#$" out my f-bombs most of the time, unless I'm really upset or I really want some EMPHASIS in my statement.

It usually works, although I've had one or two really bad swears slip out at the dinner table. But it's still rare enough that I can drop an F-bomb to really show that something pisses me off.

EDIT: I also make some of my own swear words, most notably "Modsbannit". It's kinda my trademark swear nowadays. XD

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
I've gotten to the point where swearing just fits naturally into my speech without me even thinking about it. "Fuckin" has became my equivalent of "Uhm". This absolutely doesn't mean I'm coarse or witless, just that I don't feel there's anything offensive about such words unless given context.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Us Scots do like a good bit of swearing.
Fuckin' right, we do. =p

I used to be fairly clean back in school but ever since I started uni I've been swearing like a trooper. Could be the exponential increase in alcohol intake.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I mainly use swearing to help make jokes, but not all the time

Because it's not always funny calling someone a s**t-head when there's so many other creative ways to insult them

Like "Wank Tank"

Otherwise, I hardly cuss

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, probably too much. I should cut down as swearing can be pretty uncouth and unattractive.

But swearing can be great fun, when used to good effect. As evidenced by this lovely film:

Warning, this clip contains willies and copious use of the word '****'

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
bartholen said:
Ever since I finished my military service some 7-odd months ago, I've noticed many times how my language has become far more rough and the bar of entry for swear words has been lowered significantly. I've thought about how much I hear my friends swear, and noticed that in comparison I'm quite the potty mouth. I'm trying to keep it low, but often the words just come spontaneously and so fast I only think about it afterwards.

Today I took it to a new level by swearing in class while asking the teacher for help. I'm in a university of applied sciences, so traditional "school rules" don't apply so much there anymore, but I still felt kinda embarrassed about it afterwards. Granted, I was very, very frustrated when asking the teacher for help, but I could have at least just grunted or mumbled it instead of using quite a strong phrase out loud.

So have you had similar experiences? Do you swear much in general? At home, at school, at work, online, whatever. When I post things online I often pause to think "Would I say this aloud in my native language?" before posting things, so I might swear more IRL than online. Comments, thoughts.

I generally separate what I'm willing to say at work with what I'm willing to say around the general public and again when I'm near certain members of my family. Thankfully I work with all men who share similar attitudes and there isn't really much you can say that will bother someone.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Not all that often, and I use it sparingly when I do. I treat swearing like a condiment or spice. A small application can add some kick to a conversation or argument, but go overboard and you defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.

Dec 15, 2009
I really don't, mainly because I live with children ages two and seven. Swearing around them seems like a shortcut to awkward explanations about appropriate language. With that said, if I'm cooking and something goes wrong, all bets are off. My cream sauce broke the other day and my language was both foul and inventive. A former soldier, who now works as a trucker, would have blushed.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
In the strictest sense? No. But back when I worked at McDonald's, I used to swear a lot, except that was very frowned upon. So I taught myself British swears, and trained myself so that they were the first thing that came to my mind regularly. So people would think me shouting "BOLLOCKS!" when I burned my had was my unique hilarious take on tings like "Crap baskets!" "Nut bunnies!" or the like. So no, I don't swear by an American point of view too often, but I do swear like a British sailor.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm Irish...

The fuck you think the answer is gonna be?

As Tommy Tiernan says:
"The English language is like a brick wall between me and you and "Fuck" is my chisel."
(couldn't find a clip of him saying it)

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
There was one incident when I was about six or seven and possibly said "damn" when I lost a game of tag or something I was playing with a friend. Said friend immediately went as bug-eyed as I did after realizing what I'd said and ran upstairs to report me to our babysitter (who, fortunately, was busy with something else and paid it no mind). The thing is, the memory's fuzzy enough that I'm not totally convinced I didn't just made a frustrated noise that kind of sounded like the word.

Apart from that possible instance, the only time I've ever sworn was around a year ago while, funnily enough, playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii at my grandmother's house. I accidentally did the jump-longer jump-frontflip thing, and was so excited to discover that this relic of my Super Mario 64-enthusiast childhood had survived that I blurted out "Holy shit!" without thinking. My sister was so shocked that she actually dropped what she was holding.