Do you swear much?

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Unfortunately I swear quite a bit. I find it to be a really irritating habit that I picked up from somebody I used to work with years ago.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Quite a bit around friends, but I'm able to turn it off in polite company so it's never been a problem.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I try to adjust my rate of expletives to the type of company I am with, often emulating their rate.

Default I only swear to insult or out of frustration.

I do employ phrases such as "cunting donkeyballs", or "fagnigger jewhippie" when I know the company I'm with understands I'm being facetious.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I almost never swear. I do swear occasionally around friends, at work, or online, but I never do it around family. One odd thing about where I live is that, being in America, many people have a natural aversion to "inappropriate" language to a ridiculous degree, but the town I live in uses "fuck" the same way most people use "the", but there are still many people that are more traditional. It leaves the odd scenario of you not wanting to cuss because you might offend someone and wanting to cuss because that's just the language most of these people talk.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Me? I never used to swear much, but then I got my current job, and my use of profanity increased exponentially.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Very, very, very rarely. I was raised to watch my language at all times, but it's roughed up a bit over the years.

My philosophy on swearing is: for a curse word to have the proper impact, make it a huge contrast to your normal tone. Swearing over and over loses it's punch very quickly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I have attempted not to and failed mightily but it does seem to be a significant part of my spoken word. I don't see it as a bad thing because I know when and where its "proper".

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
anthony87 said:
I'm Irish...

The fuck you think the answer is gonna be?

As Tommy Tiernan says:
"The English language is like a brick wall between me and you and "Fuck" is my chisel."
(couldn't find a clip of him saying it)
4:03 onwards.

I've got a similar attitude for the most part. Tommy just sums it up very well.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I swear all the time, though i am able to curb it when i have to, which is thankfully not often, as it takes a lot of work to bite your tongue

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I swear all the time, and it's started to worry me some. I caught myself several times referring to a 24yr old that died recently as a poor motherf***er. I've been working on it, and think I am making some headway.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
When I'm by myself, especially if I'm driving, I think I swear an awful lot. But I know that I must not swear much around my friends or coworkers, since when I do swear they act surprised and shocked. I guess it comes down to the fact that I keep myself pretty calm and collected most of the time, but if I'm in the middle of road rage/game rage, I just let fly.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Depends on the company. At work everyone swears and despite my best intentions, I end up dropping f-bombs too.

On the internet I generally don't unless I am angry. I don't normally get very angry because of things I read on the internet. When I do, I usually don't show it. I just leave and do something less annoying.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I curse like a sailor, rarely with regards to the situation. I know it gets me some odd looks here and there, but I don't care. I especially like it when churchgoing types try to tell me that I'm going to hell for it, which I couldn't care less for, since if I believed in hell, I'd already be living in it.

Insertclevername

Apr 17, 2013
More than I'm even aware of. Though, I do try to diversity my swearing. For example, instead of the usual "shit", I make the effort to say "tits". No real reason, I just like it more.

I also like saying "****" for some reason. In the States there's a taboo for saying it, especially amongst females. But I just love saying it, mostly as an insult against certain peers of mine (who interestingly enough, are male =P)

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I swear ALOT. For a long time I tried to keep it under control but I just gave up. Funnily enough, it was the character that Jennifer Carpenter plays in Dexter that finally convinced me to just not worry about it. She's quite the potty mouth and I've been compared to her a number of times (thanks to my propensity for coming up with unique strings of swear words).

So now it's just something I tell people when I meet them. Especially when I'm getting to know the people around me at the beginning of the semester. I just tell them I swear alot and if it offends them, sorry. I have no qualms about it. It's just who I am.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I tend to swear quite a bit. Especially when I'm playing multiplayer games and even more so when I'm mad. I do try to keep swearing to a minimum when around people such as my family (not including my brothers), elders, and small children though.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Still serving, so I know what you mean. As or me, I on average two to three uses of the word fuck per sentence, with fuckin being the most common variant. But that is just the way it is, you don't have stuff, you have shit, you don't call mates mate, you call them ****, you don't make a mistake, you fuck up, every object is a fucking object (eg, my sunnies are back in my fuckin car) and when you cannot think of something, saying fucking simply informs the other party in the conversation that you are still thinking of that answer. Example exchange
A=Oi, ****?!
B=Yeah mate, what'dya need?
A=You seen what's his face, the **** with the red car
B=the fuckin mitsubishi?
A=Yeah, that's the ****, me shits in his boot
b=what shit
a=me fuckin field shit, we got an ex in like twelve fuckin hours and he was supposed to get it back to me like a fuckin month ago
b=Oh, he's at the place, you know the fuckin, fuckin, fuckin... the fuckin primary school droppin off his kids
a=thanks mate, love you
b=yeah fuck off ya stupid ****
a=yeah fuck off yourself mate. later
b=later mate

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
It has slipped into my vocabulary - I blame my time at Uni - and I swear a lot more than I used to. It's almost second nature to me now, which is rather unfortunate.