Do you think girls are good gamers?

evalaina

Feb 11, 2011
Trolldor said:
Although I've never heard a girl shout 'you ******' over the microphone.
I have. Many times.
Mainly it's myself doing so.

I'm not the best of players, but since I've only been seriously gaming since about mid '09, I feel that my skill level compared to time spent playing is quite good; I can hold my own pretty well against most guys. I usually haunt games like left 4 dead, team fortress 2, medal of honor and killing floor, but I do dabble into the rpg genre as well.

There are a lot more bad male players than good, and the same with girls. Its just that the number of girls vs. guys means that you don't know what you will encounter.

Will the Great

Dec 31, 2009
I find this thread offensive.

There's an unstated assumption here that there is something inherently better or worse about women as compared to men. Even inviting that comparison is something I find sexist and inappropriate.

So let's change the subject. Do you think blacks are good gamers? Being black myself I'd like to be classed as a decent gamer. I don't play COD, or mass effect or any of those kinds of games. I'm more of a sports based player (if any of you have read my posts before you could gather I hate online play)

But do you consider blacks good gamers?
Do you think they are as good as non-blacks?
Do you mind facing a black guy online?

I was online once and I was playing L4D some white guy was playing with me and as soon as he saw I was black he left the party sent me a message saying "I don't want to play with you cause you're black"

In chat speak mind.

Judged on my skin colour, yet again.

Resurrectionist

Feb 17, 2010
Girl Gamers Rock!
I welcome the opportunity to game with women.
The girls I game with kick ass on everybody.
Some guys get butt-hurt when thrashed by a soft spoken female.
My girlfriend has been gaming for years.
And she's best gamer I know - Online or off.
(I love that quality!)
Guys hit on her constantly playing online.
For some reason, online, a lot of dude's are sexually rude to girl gamers.
Video chat request? Guys pulling down their pants in 90 seconds flat.
I don't know how girls put up with it.
Unfortunately, chicks have to deal with this sort of thing often;
especially if their "hot."

BTW: My friends list of 100 -- 28 are girls.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Gender has no effect in gaming skills. I healer in wow my guild is a woman and she is amazing healr, one of the best I have ever seen. None of the other druids we have can beat her HPS/overhealing/efficent healing numbers-
Most of Tuba players are male, does that mean only males are good tube players?

Can we just get rid of this sexism shit in all mediums, please?
I am sick of females going "All males are shit heads" and males going "Women are inferior and sex objects". Can we just stop this? I am sick of it, from both sides!!! We are all as equally pathetic and meaningless, we all can master as well everything we want.
Can you guys who are being sexist just stop it and let our medium grow and prosper, you will end lonely and sad if you start excluding people from this wonderful medium of art and enjoyment.
Females who think all males are assholes, and that when I defend your rights and human values to be equal amongst everyone who calls them selfs human, you do not need to call me asshole and a sexist, I respect you and the certain behavior some of you got isn't helping you to get accepted and respected.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
I do not believe that the presence of a vagina, vulva, breasts, or ovaries, or the absense of testes or a penis, or the presence or absence of associated biological functions, will make an individual better or worse at video games.

I do believe that female gamers have not been as generally accepted in the hobby for the longest period of time, and that the hobby has a stigma of anti-female stereotypes. As a result many women are not as experienced in the hobby on average.

That said, anecdotally... I have to disagree with the 'female gamers' are bad stigma. My mom was a wizard at Centipede and Tempest in the arcades. She met my dad playing Space Invaders. My Gramma would play Ms Pacman on the Atari for HOURS at a time. And she was GOOD. She had it down to a pattern, she entered the zen gaming trance before people commonly knew the zen gaming trance.

I sucked at Ms Pacman. But then again, I was 5.

Chatato

Dec 19, 2010
To paraphrase an article i read in a gaming magazine one time, You've probably gotten your ass handed to you thousands of times by a girl except you didn't know it because A)she didn't flaunt it or B)The girl in question didn't want to be verbally abused by a bunch of 12 year olds who can't even understand half of the crap they're saying.

MikhailGH

Jun 11, 2010
One of my girl friends was once into Counter Strike, and mind you she blew me away often. There is no big difference in skill or practice really, although its obvious that girls often play different games than guys. Its not so much about shooting games or such, but stuff like sports games or racing games, I've not seen a girl play that till now. And no I don't really care if I play with/against a girl or boy, although I wish that more girls would play games :p

YoBadMama

Apr 21, 2010
But do you consider girls good gamers?
Yes, most girls in my family are gamers.

Do you think they are as good as boys?
Ive had my ass handed to me by girls on Xbox live.

Do you mind facing a girl online?
I have played against and coop'd with many girls and it doesn't bother me at all.

GuitArchon

Jan 20, 2011
Wow. What a piss-ant THAT guy was.

I can't think of any reason why I should think girls are inferior to guys as far as gaming skills. I think people like that sexist L4D teammate of yours mostly feel that way because they haven't encountered many females who play video games, so they're timid to accept that some gamer chicks exist.

I have no problems playing video games with girls (in both co-op or vs.) for the same reason I don't have any problems with women having the same rights as men: gender shouldn't matter in how you treat a fellow human being.

So, basically, my answers go like this:
Yes, girls have the same potential to be very skilled at any given video game.
No, I have no qualms with playing video games with girls.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
I'm a girl, and I regularly thrash my Dad at FPS and RPG games. And my female best friend regularly thrashes me at L4D. So my answer would be, "Yes. We girlies kick ass. All your base, etc."

Reliq

Nov 25, 2009
MassiveGeek said:
As a girl I just have this to say:

Who fucking cares what your sex is!

Can we please stop confusing sex with competence and/or skill, please?

My fuck, I'm so tired of idiots judging solely on the sex of the person, it's so fucking stupid I just want to bite the head of a hamster!

A cute furry hamster. D:<
I find it disturbing that you judge what hamster to kill based off its idividual charisma o_O

[Edit] "How about this one?" "No, its got funny looking ears." This one then?" "Perfect nose, average size legs, Adequately fluffy and cute. I´ll take it" *CHOMP!* "OMG, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST DO!?"

OT: Couldnt care less, next topic.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
I don't think girls have a biological disadvantage with games like they do with real sports.

However they certainly have a cultural disadvantage, they just simply don't play as many videogames for as long as guys do, so naturally they tend to not be as good.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Girl gamers are the same as any gamers, some suck, some kick your ass real hard and some are just average. It doesn't matter what their gender is, as long as they can shoot straight, their welcome on my team.

Jun 11, 2008
Why would you're gender affect your ability to game this isn't driving we're doing or the offside rule[/joke]. Seriously though I don't care if you are a boy or girl gamer you can be just as good as anyone else. Although I think girls tend to shy away from FPS games to play more RPGs and sometimes fighting and RTS. My point being girls having a better ability to multitask over the man's spatial awareness tends to make them a bit better in RPGs and RTS games than FPS games.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
In my guild (on World of Warcraft) about half of Healers/Dps are Female, and they are awesome at their respective rolls. Usually showing the guys up by just how good they are. So yes, I can say that girls are good gamers, a lot of girls I know are better than male gamers.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
-Depends, all my girl friends are shit, but that doesn't mean much
-They have the potential to be
-Heck no

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
MassiveGeek said:
As a girl I just have this to say:

Who fucking cares what your sex is!

Can we please stop confusing sex with competence and/or skill, please?

My fuck, I'm so tired of idiots judging solely on the sex of the person, it's so fucking stupid I just want to bite the head of a hamster!

A cute furry hamster. D:<
I really can't say it any better than this.
Although I'd probably leave the hamster alone....

I'm really sorry that the OP encountered such an ignorant little douchebag, but I assure you, there are plenty of guys who will gladly play alongside a female player. Without factoring in their skill (though I'm sure the OP is bloody awesome at L4D), or gender.

We're not all douchebags! Honest!

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Isla said:
Yeah I've met many Females who are elite at their games of choice. One of my buddies in MW2 used to destroy me. Most ladies I play with in online RPG games are pretty skilled at their craft as well, and we have a couple in our league in DCUO that kick ass.

I dont mind who I get to play with, as long as you arent annoying and CONSTANTLY needing to talk or comment on everything like "OH! he stunned me WOW I just criticalled for 100 damage I reeeeeally hate this clan OK I am getting hurt bad but its ok I think I'm gonna make a ham sandwich...." etc etc ad nauseum with no thought to the golden qualities of silence, or even just a strong lack of their continuous, uninterrupted voice. Annoying!

Women online usually aren't annoying, and they arent the constant chatterboxes that young know-it-all male youths tend to be. Plus I think its good to have a lady around, it only encourages more of em to come out and try.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i don't see why not. i mean, they SEEM to be less common, but i really wouldn't have a problem playing against/with one. in all fairness, i don't see people in a game as a guy/girl, more of an opponent/ally, so no problems for me ^^