Doctor Strange reviews are in and Strange is apparently good

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
inu-kun said:
Do we at least have a decent villain? Oh, who am I kidding, of course not.
I dunno, the actor playing the villain is really good at playing bad guys. Though I personally love him for a protagonist-ish character he played. I'm optimistic that he will be a good badguy.

But I don't really have any investment in the Marvel movies as if my childhood depended on them being good, so if they suck, I don't really care.

Though I have a feeling this movie isn't going to suck. It's got a lot of really good actors in it, that I like, so I feel they will be able to do a good performance with the script. My personal opinion is that at worst, it will be a perfectly serviceable film, and at best, something really awesome. I'm ok with serviceable.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
inu-kun said:
This is very much an origin film. They cannot start him off against Mephisto or Dormammu. But maybe one day, Doctor Strange, the real Ghost Rider, and Doctor Doom can team up to stop Mephisto. Now THAT would be an awesome movie.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
inu-kun said:
Nope. Seen it today and Mikkelson's character is entirely bland as a villain.

Visually the movie is stunning. The cast all do a great job despite Cumberbatch's Strange seeming a lot like Hugh Laurie's House just with magic. Can't wait to see where they go with the Mordo character in future. The confrontation at the end is cool and the finale ends in a really satisfying manner I found.

Basically it's a Marvel movie. If you liked the others, you'll like this one. If you didn't, this won't change your mind. Hero's journey, self discovery, gaining of new abilities, cool fight sequences, snarky humour, predictable for the most part, uninteresting villain made bearable by an interesting cast elsewhere.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
This is very much an origin film. They cannot start him off against Mephisto or Dormammu.
"Origin story" isn't a pass for not having a good villain. Nor does "good villain" mean "iconic nemesis".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
This is very much an origin film. They cannot start him off against Mephisto or Dormammu.
"Origin story" isn't a pass for not having a good villain. Nor does "good villain" mean "iconic nemesis".
Except its what alot of people complaining are going to want.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Saelune said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
I'm sure they will, but "it's only an origin story" is no excuse for lack of a good villain. Both Captain America and Thor went head-to-head against their classic archnemesis in their own origin stories, while Iron Man on his first movie went against not-Mandarin and that was a great villain as well. Every narrative movie needs a good antagonistic force, being the first of many is no excuse.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Saelune said:
inu-kun said:
I'm sure they will, but "it's only an origin story" is no excuse for lack of a good villain. Both Captain America and Thor went head-to-head against their classic archnemesis in their own origin stories, while Iron Man on his first movie went against not-Mandarin and that was a great villain as well. Every narrative movie needs a good antagonistic force, being the first of many is no excuse.
I havent even seen the film, so I dont even know yet.

But mostly I look forward to Doctor Strange for what the movie represents for the MCU. Strange is involved in alot of neat stuff that I hope to see brought to the films, and the direct acknowledgement of magic opens up alot of doors for the MCU. Its an origin story for a character, but in a way an origin story for a facet of the fictional setting.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, I AM tempted to go to the cinema for this movie, maybe drag along a friend of mine.
If it is atleast decent I don't see why I shouldn't.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It might be good but I can't stand Benedict Cumberbatch so I don't know when I'll even end up seeing it.

Jan 19, 2016
It opened today in Australia and I saw it a couple of hours ago. Its very entertaining, surprisingly funny, and the visual presentation is extremely impressive. I saw it in 2D, but I might go see it again to check out the 3D, since its meant to be worth seeing in that format. Its definitely one of the more enjoyable Marvel movies I have seen recently.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bilious Green said:
It opened today in Australia and I saw it a couple of hours ago. Its very entertaining, surprisingly funny, and the visual presentation is extremely impressive. I saw it in 2D, but I might go see it again to check out the 3D, since its meant to be worth seeing in that format. Its definitely one of the more enjoyable Marvel movies I have seen recently.
I was supposed to watch it today as well, however life happened. I'm not sure I wan't to watch in 3D. I'm a guy who needs glasses but doesn't wear them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I watched it today and overall it's alright.

I liked how despite being in the Marvel universe, it feel like a seperated film. I mean there were no obviously reference to the universe other than one or two shoutout and the mid credit scene. I mean surely could of added the Stark Tower during the villian incept New York on the two.

Also the film is miles better compared to that crappy animated Dr Strange movie!

Jan 19, 2016
Bob_McMillan said:
Bilious Green said:
I was supposed to watch it today as well, however life happened. I'm not sure I wan't to watch in 3D. I'm a guy who needs glasses but doesn't wear them.
As a guy who does wear glasses, I'm always iffy on 3D, since wearing two sets of glasses at once is pretty uncomfortable. Generally I don't bother with 3D, but sometimes I do if people say the 3D makes the movie better.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Hawki said:
Glongpre said:
Hey, if it works, why try and fix it? *cough* Iron Man 3 *cough*
But I liked Iron Man 3. :(
It's actually my favorite Iron Man film. But every time I say that, people seem to stop taking my opinions seriously. :(

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Saw it last night.

I dislike the Marvel films, and this one is pretty much a bog-standard Marvel film. I loved it however. I went into it almost completely ignorant of the source material, but the fact that it was so incredibly Lovecraftian appealed to me so much that I couldn't help but smile the whole way through.

Cumberbatch puts in a stellar performance, and the visuals were incredible, but there's nothing particular special about the film otherwise.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Saw it yesterday and loved it! Really impressed. Usually I read some of the comics before seeing a film but this was one that I went into knowing nothing about and it explained it really well for noobs like me. I want to grab some of the comics now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Kolby Jack said:
Hawki said:
Glongpre said:
It's actually my favorite Iron Man film. But every time I say that, people seem to stop taking my opinions seriously. :(
To stop taking your opinions seriously, one must first take your opinions seriously. xD
JK

I thought IM 3 was pretty good, there were some glaring flaws in it's narrative, and other oddities that made me scratch my head a bit. But I thought it was a perfectly fine movie. And I genuinely liked how they actually worked in the psychological trauma Tony suffered from what happened to him in Avengers.

I give it a solid 7/10. Not super great, but good quality story that was enjoyable to sit through once. But not good enough to buy it, or seek it out for a second viewing.

In fact, for me, most of the Marvel movies come in at a decent 7-8/10. Solidly crafted, tell a decent story, with decent/good acting, but don't do anything really mind blowing for me. Which is fine to me. As long as I enjoyed my time in the theater, I'm satisfied.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Kolby Jack said:
Hawki said:
Glongpre said:
To stop taking your opinions seriously, one must first take your opinions seriously. xD
JK

I thought IM 3 was pretty good, there were some glaring flaws in it's narrative, and other oddities that made me scratch my head a bit. But I thought it was a perfectly fine movie. And I genuinely liked how they actually worked in the psychological trauma Tony suffered from what happened to him in Avengers.

I give it a solid 7/10. Not super great, but good quality story that was enjoyable to sit through once. But not good enough to buy it, or seek it out for a second viewing.

In fact, for me, most of the Marvel movies come in at a decent 7-8/10. Solidly crafted, tell a decent story, with decent/good acting, but don't do anything really mind blowing for me. Which is fine to me. As long as I enjoyed my time in the theater, I'm satisfied.
If I were to analyze why I like Iron Man 3 so much (and I already have because introspection is something I have a lot of time for NOT THAT I'M LONELY OR ANYTHING), it probably has to do with Bioshock Infinite. They came out at roughly the same time, and Bioshock Infinite introduced to me the concept of a "hair shirt" in psychology, which I thought was a really cool concept. Iron Man 3 used that same idea for the arc reactor in Tony's chest, and I distinctly remember really being blown away at how this neat concept I just learned about was incorporated into something else I liked.

Obviously it's not the only reason I liked Iron Man 3; I think it's a good movie overall. But it's that personal investment, discovery, and correlation that makes it my favorite. Sort of like how, in a more extreme case, I don't hate the Star Wars prequels even though they are bad films because they still greatly benefited the Star Wars canon by adding tons of depth and nuance to it.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
McElroy said:
We all know the MCU formula by now. And one of the formula's traits is a high RT rating.

The same goes for Pixar movies. They are often entertaining, sure, but I think they get a huge free pass just because they look awesome, and are cheerfully kid-friendly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, saw it today and it was good. Quite good. Probably the best MCU film I've seen. Visuals are stunning, the gags are funny, if a bit overused, the villain (not Dormanu, his desciple) was actually compelling, and it managed to delve into mysticism without short-changing medical science.

Lot more I could say, but, well, it's good. Not great, but good.