Doctor Who

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I'm really hoping series 10 is good and really hope Moffat has improved since this is his last. The impression is if it will turn out good for him, Peter Capaldi and the new companion plus hope the stories good.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
im more of the death to capaldi's dr.. he really grates on my nerves but i hope its good for you

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
pookie101 said:
im more of the death to capaldi's dr.. he really grates on my nerves but i hope its good for you
I think its what hes given to work with - Moffat really did not make best use of the actor OR character imo. There are moments but thats it :-/

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Peter Capaldi could have been a great Doctor but it always felt to me that they were continuing to write for Matt Smith.

It was same same in Smith's first series, a lot of the episodes felt as if they were written for the Tennant incarnation of the Doctor.

However while Smith eventually found his own voice as the Doctor, Capaldi has never been given that opportunity, he's never felt like a distinct incarnation.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
One episode in and I'm optimistic, Clara was really starting to get on my nerves by the end of her run so the more ordinary Bill is a nice change of pace.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Moffat has escalated from metaphorical mystery boxes to a literal one, all is lost.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Doctor Who - SE10 EP01 Thoughts:

The pictures on the desk?
Loved seeing River and Susan. So sad.
The picture from the box?
Clearly The Doctor knew her mom. I almost wonder if she's related to a previous companion.

The 'Coming Soon' bit at the end
OG Cybermen? YES!
Return of female Master, aka: Missy? YES!
Return of John Simm's Master? HOLY FUCKING FUCK THAT FUCKING PREVIEW HOLY FUCKING FUCK WITH A SIDE OF OMG DA FUK?!?!?!?!?!?!

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Tanis said:
OG Cybermen? YES!
Return of female Master, aka: Missy? YES!
Return of John Simm's Master? HOLY FUCKING FUCK THAT FUCKING PREVIEW HOLY FUCKING FUCK WITH A SIDE OF OMG DA FUK?!?!?!?!?!?!
Holy shitballs, Simm is BACK!? As you can probably tell I'm a massive Simm fan. Simm as the Master made theworld 7.3 billion times better with one stunt ... I fangirlgasmed.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
So what did everyone think of it?

Personally I kinda thought it was decent. Only complaints are that the villain defeat left me a bit underwhelmed and the Daleks plus Movellans were wasted as just plot fodder. I like Pearl Mackie, but some of her dialogue was a bit too....I don't what the word is. No, not awful or bad. Just something off or weird.

But despite that, I think this was a pretty decent start and hope the rest of the season turns out good.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Tanis said:
Clearly The Doctor knew her mom. I almost wonder if she's related to a previous companion.
I think the implication was the Doctor popped back in time and took pictures of her mom as a christmas present for Bill

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Without spoilers, answer these two questions:

Is there a new cute girl?

Are there separate adventures of Clara and Me?

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Pretty nice opening episode. Seems abit more subdued, which is a good thing as the series tends to veer into obnoxious territory alot. Kinda sucks The new companion seems nice.

Elijin said:
Without spoilers, answer these two questions:

Is there a new cute girl?

Are there separate adventures of Clara and Me?
The new girl is ok looking, but she doesn't look like a model or anything.

No to the second.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
pookie101 said:
Capaldi has already confirmed that this season will be his last.

Dec 10, 2012
I liked it pretty well, even though it was glaringly obvious it was designed as an entry point for new viewers. I'm not sure yet if I'll like the new companion, but it's been one episode. I do want to enjoy Capaldi's last season, I like his Doctor.

My one big issue, well, question maybe, it's not a huge deal...
If the alien oil spill can cross time and space as fast as the TARDIS, then what the hell do the aliens who left it need with a star ship in the first place? Just lather yourself up in motor oil and travel effortlessly anywhere and anytime you want. I mean, that is some oddly advanced tech in what was presumably a run of the mill space ship.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The biggest questions I was left with in this first episode of the season/series were when the hell did The Doctor become a university professor? and who the hell did he make that promise to? and when and why did he make it?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
gigastar said:
pookie101 said:
You can even see the start of his regeneration in the "this season" teaser at the end of the episode.

On that topic, they really give away way to much in the next week clip.
That was really annoying last season, and i hoped that they wouldn't do that anymore(but alas)

As for bill, well i just don't know yet.
The trailers for this season made her uit as not really that bright but makes up for that with her mouth.
The episode did take that away at least a bit.
Although, i do think that her talk then think habit will annoy me time to time.
But by going to classes during her brake she does show room to grow.

But i do think she will even be harder to really get used to than Donna was.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Jeroenr said:
gigastar said:
pookie101 said:
That was really annoying last season, and i hoped that they wouldn't do that anymore(but alas)
Never take the preview at face value, while it doesnt happen often they have cut those clips before to falsify the context of the scenes.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
gigastar said:
Jeroenr said:
gigastar said:
pookie101 said:
Never take the preview at face value, while it doesnt happen often they have cut those clips before to falsify the context of the scenes.
That's true but still, how can they build up some mystery if they show a Dalek in the teaser?
Context isn't always the thing that makes it a spoiler.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The first episode was...okay I guess. Can't say I like the new companion much yet. She's supposed to be smart, but runs her mouth like she's incredibly stupid. Maybe that'll change. It feels like they're trying to go outside of the norm for the sake of it. (talking about how the companion reacts to the tardis, her going 'doctor what?', the Doctor and Nardole going 'about time' when she finally says 'it's bigger on the inside' and such.)

I'm glad that this is Moffat's last season. He's made some very good single episodes, but I don't like how he tries to push this big overarching important plot into every season. Or maybe it's because those overarching haven't been that good in my opinion. I dunno...

Either way, I'm going to have to wait and see how this season will turn out. Maybe I'll grow to like Bill after a while, just like how I started to like Clara after a while. (And then Moffat ruined it with her at the end. Let's hope that doesn't happen.)