Does America have round-abouts?

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
I live in the US. I was suprised to hear that they exist over here-there's certainly not any in the midwest where I am. They do seem like they'd lead to a smoother traffic flow, though.
I live in a modest size town in missouri and we have three round abouts. They are on s pretty popular road and work quite well to keep traffic flowing and letting people get to where they want to go. Most people are fucking idiots about them though and they become death traps when icy.

edit: I have never seen a two lane one though. that would mess me up.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Tethalaki said:
dex-dex said:
In Canada is it more rare to find them. I have encountered about ten at the most in my life time. clover leafs are more common. The reason why the states and Canada don't have as many as the UK or other european countries is space. we have a lot more land to spread out roads. Also we have not been a country for as long as others. When they were just starting out, they saw tons of land and were just giving it away to anyone who came.
Personally I'd say that a roundabout uses slightly more land then a set of lights does.

Also; your argument doesn't explain why Australia has so many roundabouts. From memory, I drive through 8-9 to get to work, and there's only two sets of lights in our town (about 40,000 people) now.
yeah it does not really explain Australia's amount of roundabouts sorry. Canada has the states to deal with and they cross our boarder quite a bit. We are over powered to be somewhat like the states.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
I live in Canada and I think last year one was put into a Peterborough not too far from where I live.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
There is exactly two that I have run into. Neither were in my city, but they're on routes I need to drive every couple of weeks. So....yeah.

Also, I'm Canadian.

Soylent Dave

Aug 31, 2010
DomM said:
If you think roundabouts are bad, look at this:

Yes, it's a roundabout of roundabouts. And the only possible reason for going to Swindon.
I can't believe it took FIVE WHOLE PAGES for someone to post a picture of the Magic Roundabout...

In case anyone is wondering how it works :

Easy when you know how.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Lilani said:
Oh yeah, they're popping up more and more in Missouri. I don't mind them at all, in fact, I find them quite convenient compared to most standard intersections like that.

Diverging diamonds, though, those freak me out. Looks like this.

It literally makes the lanes switch sides, so you're driving on the left instead of the right. It's confusing as all get out. You get stoplights that look like this.

It freaked me right out the first time I went through one D: I had no clue what was going on. And even now I just have to keep telling myself "just follow the lines, just follow the lines." And I have to be careful because the main one I have to use will shoot you back onto the highway you just got off of if you can't get out of the far left lane in time >.>;
Please tell me that those diamond things area no were near the Branson/Springfield area...

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah. There's one in front of the local mall. It's a real treat to see people try and navigate through them. If you look really closely some of them have a lost puppy look in their eyes. It's funny.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
No, they don't, because Americans are too stupid to figure them out :p

I kid, I kid. I had no idea roundabouts were this uncommon in the US, I wonder why that is. Maybe I'll find an answer if I read the thread.

Edit: They're hella common here in Norway though. Sadly, I couldn't find out how many there are in my town.

Jan 29, 2009
Rarely, but in South Pasadena where I've spotted them, they get rid of every advantage they had by putting stop signs in front as well.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Yea we have them their not as common as in europe but the one near me must have been run by retards because they put stop lights up and changed the cycles to be about 2 seconds between green and red so traffic is really backed up whenever there are a lot of people

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Jewrean said:
In European countries and also here in my home country of Australia roundabouts are extremely common.

I was told that there are indeed roundabouts in America but are extremely uncommon. This was also shown in the Simpsons when they visited England and were completely clueless about a roundabout.

Roundabouts reduce traffic considerably by means of increasing throughput. I suppose my question is why aren't there many roundabouts in America? If you are not from America; are roundabouts common or uncommon?

A simple roundabout
There are a few in my local area, but I know that I myself aren't a big fan of them. Most American's don't understand them very well so they tend to actually be fairly dangerous to drive in.

I find them fairly annoying myself, I just wanna turn left, I don't wanna turn right and go around in a circle to make my left turn.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Dwarfman said:
Xojins said:
They're not everywhere but we do have them. It's called a rotary where I live.
Okay please forgive the ignorant Aussie savage, but rotary? That's a funky engine in some brands of Japanese sports cars for us! Why did your government come up with the name rotary or is a that simply a popular term for it? Although I'm guessing rotary cause it's round right?
It's pretty much just in my area of the state we call it that.

drwow

Nov 25, 2009
Yeah,
I wish we had more though, they cut down on traffic like crazy.
Too bad most of the people here are still to retarded to use them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
C95J said:
FalloutJack said:
Does Europe have any cloverleaf roadways? You know, like this?

not in England, but after looking at it for about half a minute it doesn't seem much more difficult to use than a roundabout, basically just going up on ramp and onto another road I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Some say yes, some say no. I believe it was Tex Avery who brought about the opinion that you could get lost forever in one of those and that you'd have to set up a hot dog stand just to service.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Brian Hendershot said:
Please tell me that those diamond things area no were near the Branson/Springfield area...
Yeah, there's two of them in Springfield. I think our area was one of the first in the country to get them. Apparently they do good things for traffic, but I don't know. I didn't live there before they arrived, so I don't know if they actually improved things.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Lilani said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Yeah, there's two of them in Springfield. I think our area was one of the first in the country to get them. Apparently they do good things for traffic, but I don't know. I didn't live there before they arrived, so I don't know if they actually improved things.
I know there is a Round-About near Drury. Were are the diamonds though? So I can prepare myself for them.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
Roundabouts in the US are generally dumb because they just throw them into perfectly normal 2-street intersections.

There's one near where I live and it's just SIGNS EVERYWHERE.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
There's one relatively nearby where I live, so all the driving schools/instructors in the region tend to take their students there to practice since it's also the only one anywhere even remotely close by. They are not exactly common features of our road system, not in the Midwest anyways.