Does America have round-abouts?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Berethond said:
xmbts said:
East coast has rotaries, West does not.

And that's all I know about it.
Yes we do. There's several.

We don't have many because our roads are wide and straight, having been built from the beginning to accommodate cars, and thus traditional stoplights are more efficient.
Head up past the hippy state to the north of you, and you will find magnificent state known as Washington. There are quite a few roundabouts, it's becoming fashionable to stick them in low traffic suburban areas around cities. Probably just to slow the traffic through the unmarked 4-way yield intersections through.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Tsunimo said:
xmbts said:
Are you kidding me?
Maybe the rest of the west cost doesn't, but here in Washington, our city just put in 3 new ones...
on a single street o_O
Now I have to know where you are in Washington. I have a shop in Tacoma, and the city is trowing them in like they are candy.

Ranquest

Nov 10, 2009
FalloutJack said:
We do and I've seen them, but now I want to ask a question.

Does Europe have any cloverleaf roadways? You know, like this?

I take your clover and one up you. This is the M7 in sydeny

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
xmbts said:
I've frequently found myself in one when I visit a little city called Palmdale, California (L.A. County). I've also encountered a few of them when I visited Guadalajara, Jalisco.

TomLikesGuitar said:
Yeah we have roundabouts.

They don't rock as hard as this one though...

Best song ever.
Yes. Yes does rock.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ranquest said:
FalloutJack said:

Holy shit, Bert and Gale never mentioned THIS. (Yes, I have relations in Australia.)

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Ranquest said:
FalloutJack said:

And this is the east LA interchange. My friend, even I couldn't tell you what the hell is going on in that picture.

The worst part is that is just the south east end of a larger interchange system. The entire system is known as the East LA interchange, with the northern end of the interchange system having another name.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
toriver said:
Well, apparently they do exist in the US, but I have never seen one there. I suppose they must be just an east coast thing.
There's a few in western Colorado.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
manaman said:
Tsunimo said:
xmbts said:
Are you kidding me?
Maybe the rest of the west cost doesn't, but here in Washington, our city just put in 3 new ones...
on a single street o_O
Now I have to know where you are in Washington. I have a shop in Tacoma, and the city is trowing them in like they are candy.
Yeah... Tacoma is a little crazy with 'em to.
I'm in the Tumwater/Olympia area

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
We do indeed have them in Sweden, but they are called "rondell" and we use therm for nearly every 4-way intersection.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
FalloutJack said:

There is one close to where I live. It is not as big as that one though.
Oh yeah. I live in Stockholm, Sweden.

It's not as confusing to use it as it looks, folks. Promise!

Oh yeah. We call the normal roundabouts "Rondell". I like that name.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
bassdrum said:
They exist in America every once in a while, and I suspect that the reason we don't have more is because nobody knows what to do about them. When faced with a roundabout/rotary, people act like idiots, cut each other off, act way too cautiously or boldly... it's very difficult to drive through a rotary because nobody seems to know how to follow the rules.

Personally, I think that they're a great idea, and wouldn't mind seeing more of them (as long as people knew how to use them).
Don't they teach everyone about them in the rode code or something :O.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Xaio30 said:
We do indeed have them in Sweden, but they are called "rondell" and we use therm for nearly every 4-way intersection.
...! Why you little! Had to write that just a few minutes before me, did you?
Fan också :-(

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Fort collins has 5 or 6 roundabouts, and will probably build more. so yes we do have them, just not many.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
TomLikesGuitar said:
Yeah we have roundabouts.

They don't rock as hard as this one though...

Best song ever.
...Crap. I was gonna post that! You ninja...

Not quite the best song ever though. This is:

<youtube=aBP6lFU-J2M>

Having lived in England for most of my life, I take roundabouts for granted. I'm actually kinda surprised to learn anywhere doesn't have them, but I suppose you learn something new every day. They do work pretty well,but maybe that's because people over here actually know how they work.

airplanedude550

Sep 5, 2010
I'm from England; therefore I am a seasoned round-about driver. I went to Loveland, Colorado, one time, and they had them all over the bloody place. Apparently, ski-towns (as well as many other cities in Colorado) do this in order to appeal to European tourists. (I do not see how, because our round-abouts go clockwise as opposed to American round-abouts which go anticlockwise).