Does anyone even know what Steam Machines are?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
barbzilla said:
Mothhive said:
They likely expect that they will be able to access all of the PC games like they did with their console of choice (though they likely understand the lack of backwards compatibility at this point). So they won't understand why their (up to) $12,000 machine refuses to play the latest greatest Call of Duty game, and the short answer is, because it doesn't have Windows. So now they have to hire someone to install windows on a Dual Boot partition so they can play all of the games available to them or learn how to work on PC's themselves, and at this point they may as well have gone ahead and learnt enough about PCs to get a decent one to start with that didn't cost them an arm and a leg.
There's an answer to this, and it's called dumping people/money (things Valve has a *lot* of) at WINE, or a fork thereof, and then working to build launch setups for existing games in the catalog to get them to work under that compatibility layer (think the automatic launching of DOSBOX in steam to get certain titles working, except doing it with WINE and having a WINE config included with the game download from Steam.

In other words, I expect we'll see a bunch of titles suddenly gain SteamOS or partial SteamOS support once we're closer to this being a reality, because Valve will setup a launch environment that just makes them work via quietly running WINE or equivalent in the background.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Schadrach said:
barbzilla said:
Mothhive said:
They likely expect that they will be able to access all of the PC games like they did with their console of choice (though they likely understand the lack of backwards compatibility at this point). So they won't understand why their (up to) $12,000 machine refuses to play the latest greatest Call of Duty game, and the short answer is, because it doesn't have Windows. So now they have to hire someone to install windows on a Dual Boot partition so they can play all of the games available to them or learn how to work on PC's themselves, and at this point they may as well have gone ahead and learnt enough about PCs to get a decent one to start with that didn't cost them an arm and a leg.
There's an answer to this, and it's called dumping people/money (things Valve has a *lot* of) at WINE, or a fork thereof, and then working to build launch setups for existing games in the catalog to get them to work under that compatibility layer (think the automatic launching of DOSBOX in steam to get certain titles working, except doing it with WINE and having a WINE config included with the game download from Steam.

In other words, I expect we'll see a bunch of titles suddenly gain SteamOS or partial SteamOS support once we're closer to this being a reality, because Valve will setup a launch environment that just makes them work via quietly running WINE or equivalent in the background.
And if you are correct, than the Steammachine won't do too terrible, however if they don't do something serious about it, it is going to be a flop with few interested parties (at least I know I won't be interested). The whole point of doing this was to come out with something Unique, Powerful, and Reasonable to help entice console gamers to a PC format, however what we are getting is nothing more than a PC running Linux, with a controller, and a sticker that says Steam on it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
My first thought was actually why is a steam engine thread doing in the game section even if it was only for a split second.

As for what a steam machine is im not sure anyone knows even the people who are making them I predict they will be a failure.

Arent they just PCs but not as good and versatile but still as expensive if not more so? oh and Steam is installed on them I suppose, I wonder if you can remove that?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Maximum Bert said:
Arent they just PCs
Yes.

Maximum Bert said:
but not as good and versatile
Define what you mean by that. They are...PCs. I'm not entirely sure what your expectations are for...well, either PCs, Steam Machines or both. At most, maybe some would not be hardware upgradable. At least Alienware said theirs weren't going to be [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131507-Alienware-Steam-Machines-Cant-Be-Upgraded] (and then the opposite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131589-Alienware-Steam-Machine-Will-Be-Upgradeable-After-All] but the point sort of stands from before). But software-wise...they are PCs.

Maximum Bert said:
but still as expensive if not more so?
They are pre-built PCs. Pre-built PCs tend to be "as expensive if not more so" compared to what you can build on your own. So take that as you wish.

Maximum Bert said:
oh and Steam is installed on them I suppose, I wonder if you can remove that?
It...is a PC. And Valve were pretty big on the whole "open" thing, too. It was, in fact, another big thing in their marketing. So yes.

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
cloroxbb said:
scapefly said:
hahaha I would have thought that it had something to do with the platform Steam... shows how much I know!
Thanks for the insight thought
It does, it uses Steam's "big picture" mode, I believe, which makes it act more like a console (controller input). Steam is a very big part of STEAM MACHINES, because the Steam OS is built so that developers dont HAVE to use the Windows platform for their games.
ah ok - interesting! Thank you for the info! :)