Does anyone sincerely want to play as "ugly" characters in games?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I usually don't consider my character's physical appearance that much when I'm playing them. If they're good looking in a way I find appealing, I certainly won't complain, but at the same time playing as an ugly bugger can have it's own charms.

I have a lot of fun making characters with a visual personality in character creators, and that usually means avoiding conventional attractiveness. My Skyrim main was a poe-faced thug who looked like he belonged in chains, my Saints Row IV boss was a huge intimidating black man styled after Michael Clarke Duncan (imagine my annoyance to find there was already a character like that in the game, presumably because the devs assumed Saints Row IV's target audience were least likely to pick the black guy), and my third Commander Shepard was a red-headed step-child with his hook-nosed face perpetually screwed up into a look of extreme irritation, which fit perfectly with his 100% Renegade attitude.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
If it counts i prefer to play as the non human classes in skyrim. my favourite is the Argonian because i really like that water breathing. I dont think it is for novelty of just being able to play as a non human, I'd just prefer not to be a human in certain fantasy/science fiction scenario if given the choice.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
someguy1231 said:
Does anyone sincerely want to play as "ugly" characters in games?
Well, those who play female races are Orcs, Goblins, Tauren, and Dwarves in Wow (as you already mentioned). I think you already answered your own question.

I don't see the point of "caring about the main character" if the rest of the game is good.

Renegade Shepard.

They don't care about you either.

Besides, I don't think that those who use average or attractive characters do it to make a serious statement about skills going hand-to-hand with good looks or following the body standards is better or anything like that. So why can't someone play as an ugly character just for trying something different?

I think something similar would apply to playing as an "evil" character.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Doesn't bother me either way as it depends in which context they are used. Trevor in GTA 5 wasn't exactly attractive, but he was fun to play as.

Well, as much fun as you can have in a game with souless gameplay lol.

mrgerry123

Aug 28, 2011
Only did it once seriously, in Skyrim. Played as a dual wielding axe orc and got the heartbreaker mod. Pretended that I was just a crazy nutter who stole people's hearts and then ate them. Made the dialogue a bit incongruous at times!

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I wanna play as the dwarf from Dragon's Crown just because he looks like he might be fun. It doesn't really bother me, so long as the character is cool enough!

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I don't mind playing as an ugly character unless their face in my, well, face, 24/7. most games have you either in first person mode or watching the person's backside, so their face doesn't make much difference.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I get enough of being ugly in real life so no. I wouldn't play a game because the protagonist is ugly. I like my characters how I like people. Cute and female.

I might occasionally mae an ugly character to troll though.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
No, because if I am going to stick with a character for the next 70 hours I better get one that I give a toss about. That means no Rust's Mr./Ms. Rando-Gen, not the dude from TT's TWD, everyone in State of Decay, Gerald, and so on...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
viscomica said:
I wanna play as the dwarf from Dragon's Crown just because he looks like he might be fun. It doesn't really bother me, so long as the character is cool enough!
Dammit, be the dwarf if you must, I'll have to be sexy for the two of us.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly, it depends on your point of perspective. What I consider attractive in my characters, others find unattractive. There have been many main characters in video games that follow that archetype as well. Large, unkempt, and heavily scared, is my typical model, however I do sometimes switch it up to an effeminate agile male with a Mephistopheles stash and mid to long length shaggy hair.

I suppose my real answer would be, I don't usually give a toss about the main characters looks or sex. What I care about is if they have a personality I can identify with to the point where I actually care about their motivations. This is the same reason I have issues playing an evil character (though that is mostly compounded by the fact that nobody in the game's industry writes evil well).

Abbyka

Apr 9, 2015
Give the character a wonderful personality and a great story and I would. But really it depends on the genre of the game. I can totally see playing an ugly character in a fighting video game. You're looking for brute strength and a fighting style that works for you, not looks. But in an RPG? It'd really have to be interesting to pull me in tbh. I usually play RPGs to get away from reality, and in reality I already feel pretty damn ugly. Getting into a storyline with me in the shoes of an attractive character is an escape.

But I do want to mention something. Currently I'm playing Rune Factory Frontier. In this game you can marry a girl if you get her friendship and love level high enough. One of the girls is fat and kind of average looking. I am not far enough to marry her yet, but I have done some research and it says you can say something to her to get her to go on a diet. This makes me want to marry her as is so badly. I don't care that she's overweight. Why? She's so nice and is such a hard worker and the idea that she'd simply go on a diet to change herself because of something I say makes me mad. This is one of those cases where I'm all over unattractive characters. She's not one I'm playing but one I could be heavily involved with eventually. Not sure if it's even possible to marry her as is though. I haven't gotten that far and most people seem to be more concerned with making her go on a diet before they're interested in her so I haven't found out through google if it's even possible.

But there are plenty of games with characters that aren't attractive. It's just most of them aren't the main character, just a supporting character. Those supporting characters I do tend to use a lot though because they usually are pretty strong. Such as Yangus from Dragon Quest VIII. He's definitely not a looker but he was a heavier hitter. Preferred using him for that reason and it didn't matter that he wasn't attractive.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Only in an FPS.

If I have to look at someone's backside/ass etc for 10+ hours I want to enjoy the experience, whether I play as female or male.

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
why do people shit themselves over appearance in a game?

if i have to play as a troll who trips on his toenails and habitually picks his nose, okay
if i have to play as an decrepit old man with no feeling in his face , no problemo
if i have to play as a character with low IQ and low charisma and high combat checks, okiedokie
if i have to play as a sentient plant with rotting leaves and smell of rotten flesh, so be it
if i have to play as a hot chick, by all means
if i have to play as a scum with bullet scars and grey hair with ruddy complexion, you got it
if i have to play as some 40 year old dude who constantly shits himself and has a cleft lip, im your man
if i have to play as a cross-bred humanoid hybrid suffering from exhaustion and rabies, im all for it
if i have to play a weirdo in a suit who cant breath normally and is aided by life support, of course
if i have to play a fucking C.H.U.D., i totally will
if i have to play as the most foulest drag queen in the universe who rivals divine herself, do or do not.

instead of being banal and dressing fancy how about you try playing the game huh? youre the kind of person i dont invite to my games. or dwelling, period. if you care so much about your looks than being creative and using a modicum of imagination or logical reasoning than actually playing, in game i will fuck you up.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
greatcheezer2021 said:
why do people shit themselves over appearance in a game?

if i have to play as a troll who trips on his toenails and habitually picks his nose, okay
if i have to play as an decrepit old man with no feeling in his face , no problemo
if i have to play as a character with low IQ and low charisma and high combat checks, okiedokie
if i have to play as a sentient plant with rotting leaves and smell of rotten flesh, so be it
if i have to play as a hot chick, by all means
if i have to play as a scum with bullet scars and grey hair with ruddy complexion, you got it
if i have to play as some 40 year old dude who constantly shits himself and has a cleft lip, im your man
if i have to play as a cross-bred humanoid hybrid suffering from exhaustion and rabies, im all for it
if i have to play a weirdo in a suit who cant breath normally and is aided by life support, of course
if i have to play a fucking C.H.U.D., i totally will
if i have to play as the most foulest drag queen in the universe who rivals divine herself, do or do not.

instead of being banal and dressing fancy how about you try playing the game huh? youre the kind of person i dont invite to my games. or dwelling, period. if you care so much about your looks than being creative and using a modicum of imagination or logical reasoning than actually playing, in game i will fuck you up.
It one small thing of many that can effect your enjoyment of the game. If a game is fun you will likely play it regardless, that doesn't you mean can't have preference for or discuss things like what sort of protagonist you like including in terms of appearance.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I already play as them in Hotline Miami 2: I don't care if they're ugly or good looking so long as they're engaging or they serve an interesting story.