Does gay as a derogatory term offend you?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Not really. It sort of sucks that it's used as a pejorative, but, at least to me, it's gone beyond being a slight at homosexuals and moved into a term of it's own. See the South Park episode on the word "fag".

I agree with Zach Weiner of SMBC that we need a new, more accurate, definition of "Gay"
<spoiler=spoilt for size>http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110409.gif

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
octafish said:
No I'm not offended. In fact it gives me a sense of social superiority because it reminds me that the user is an insensitive arsehole and I am a good guy. If someone uses it on my server they get one warning and if they re-offend a ban. You can trash talk all you want but you use the magic race and sexuality words and boom, you're gone.
What if someone was to say, say:
This sh*t is so bad, it's really straight / hetero?
Funnily enough it has NEVER come up. I wonder why?

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
I'm not offended but I also don't penalize said user in my mind. As sad as it may be, its become a sort of social slang which most seem content with using and accepting. I also have to say that sometimes people take this subject a little too seriously.

I remember in Highschool I was talking with my friend about one of our other friends who had just recently come out of the closet about his sexuality. I said something along the lines of "No, mate. He's gay." when out of no where some girl starts freaking out about how I'm being homophobic and should shut up.

It's those type of people that annoy me with this whole 'is saying gay offensive' argument. The people who think they SHOULD be offended when they hear it, not that they really even are.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
It doesn't offend me at all. I would call myself heterosexual, but I would also do pretty much anything with an effeminate trap I found attractive. Hell, I'd probably have sex with a guy if he was cute. I'm not terribly desperate, I just got out of a relationship with a mentally ill girl (she was really attractive though...)

Alright, in short, it doesn't offend me personally as it has literally lost all meaning, I don't say it however due to my vocabulary. Also this thread just made me realize I may be bisexual. Good job OP.

Toxic Spectre

Sep 12, 2012
It doesn't offend me personally, but I know others whom are offended by it. To me, the word 'gay' seems to have lost all meaning. Also 'fag,' that word has lost all meaning too it seems.

I don't think when someone comes out of a loss in a video game and say "Well that was gay," they are saying that the game likes other games of the same gender, they're not trying to attack those who do like the same sex. It's just the way society sees the word now. Hell, you can have the same word mean different things depending on which context they're used in.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
No, I'm not gay so why should I get offended? It annoys me when people get offended over something that doesn't even affect them.
It's a stupid word to use to insult something because by definition it means happy or homosexual. it's not an adjective or adverb when it comes to insulting something, unless you think homosexuality is bad and anything you call gay is also bad.
There's better words to use. I've probably called someone a fag out of anger when I can't think of anything else to say, but I never mean anything malicious or homophobic. I honestly think now, 'fag' is rarely used as an homophobic slur. It just seems same as twat now.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
When someone says "gay", "******" or "retard" I get the urge to rip their throats out. So I suppose that counts as being offended.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
octafish said:
Calibanbutcher said:
octafish said:
No I'm not offended. In fact it gives me a sense of social superiority because it reminds me that the user is an insensitive arsehole and I am a good guy. If someone uses it on my server they get one warning and if they re-offend a ban. You can trash talk all you want but you use the magic race and sexuality words and boom, you're gone.
What if someone was to say, say:
This sh*t is so bad, it's really straight / hetero?
Funnily enough it has NEVER come up. I wonder why?
Because you do not have jokers such as me on these servers?
I like the expression because people rarely expect "hetero/straight" to be used as a derogatory term.
I am straight BTW, but messing with people is still fun.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Eh, using 'gay' as a synonym for 'lame' or 'not cool' or 'stupid' is pretty lame and stupid.

Although, I do use '******' quite a lot when describing socially inept people, or just people who annoy me in general.

For instance, Chris-Chan is the Fag Lord, while Linkara from TGWTG is just a plain old ******.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Legion said:
Offend? No.
Annoy? Yes.

I just associate it with the childish crap people used to do when kids, back when it was actually used to imply that you are gay, as if there is something wrong with it.

When I see/hear my friends use it, it just makes me feel that they haven't grown up.
I agree with this message. It doesnt offend me persay. But it annoys me. And if you use it excessively im going to take what you have to say less seriously.

Also the word "Gay" or "******" has changed meaning. However its used in two contexts. One is offensive and one isnt.

"Dude thats really gay" - New context, no relation to anything actually homosexual. Still childish.

"Dude you fucking suck noob are YOU gay/a ******" - Old context. Offensive slur.

Im straight as an arrow but in LoL when ever anyone uses the old context i always respond right back with a "Yeah i am gay. What of it?" It usually results in hilarious awkward conversations as the troll tries to offend me with the fact and fails. Like so:

Them: "Lol youre probably gay"
Me: "Yeah i am..."
Them: "Obviously lol"
Me: "Id hope so, wouldnt want the ladies hitting on me"
Them: ".... stfu"

This is an actual conversation, no lies, i had yesterday with another player. Some people take pride in being hatefull and use the word accordingly. Some people do not connect it with actual homosexuality at all. While at worst id call the language immature it isnt offensive to me.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I don't like people using it. But I also know that a lot of kids just use it unconsciously and don't really mean anything by it. I don't use it myself anymore, although when I was a school kid I did, because as a school kid, I was an idiot.

Furthermore, I don't like using the words "retarded" or "spastic" or "lame" to refer to bad things.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Muh. I can't honestly say I care, although maybe I should? X3 People throw around these words without even thinking, I doubt most people saying "the new Call of Duty (game inserted, btw)screens are pretty gay" are even considering the meaning of the word.

What if another word was used instead? ... I still don't find it offensive really X3. I know when people say "gay" of "******" around me, they aren't talking TO me, or people like me. It's just a word to my friends and they don't really think about what it means. Again, maybe they (and I) should, but most of the world don't seem to so...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not offended as such, but I'm not going to think well of people throwing it around casually.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Not really- when you consider that the term originally meant something completely different before it was appropriated to mean homosexuality, I'm not so sure that anyone really has a right to complain when the same word gets appropriated into yet another meaning.

Who knows what 'gay' will mean 50 years from now?