Does height matter anymore?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The wasteland is a dangerous place.

"Short man syndrome", seems to either be a full of crap statement or something people notice in others. I am not debating whether it's true or not. I just want to know, does height matter?

Maybe not in your circle of friends but maybe to you and your current partner it does? Would you date someone shorter than you or taller. Or maybe you just don't care.

Do taller women have it more different than shorter women? Or is it just all in our minds and how insecure we are inside about our height and appeal to those we are attracted too.

I don't really mind or care about how tall or short my partner is. I'm 6ft4.

Also, I am not just talking about relationships but life in general from jobs to activies to emotions and everything else.

War. War never changes. That doesn't even relate to the bloody post, Para.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Doesn't matter to me because most everyone is taller (I'm 5ft).
Though dating can present problems, but it's not a dealbreaker.

I've never been turned down specifically because of my shortness, though I'm female and it may be different for the guys. I do catch a lot of flack for it from friends and family but I know they're not being malicious and I laugh at myself for it as well.

-------------------
I don't know if my shortness has ever been a quality people find specifically appealing?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well I'm considered to be of average height: 5'6.

There's a big chunk of the population that towers over me, so I don't really mind it much. If I'm interested in a woman, regardless of physical traits, I'm all game.

From the get-go, I was destined with short genes: my parents are short and the only reason why I'm taller than them is because I was very active and played a lot of basketball as a teen. However, I'm only taller by a few inches.

In regards of short-man syndrome, I don't really think it applies to me; sure I was a short kid, but I would always grow a few inches each year as I was going through puberty, so it really didn't latch on to me later in life.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It does still matter to some people, it's common to see people who won't date someone unless they're taller than them.

People have weird preferences.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
My experience as a moderately tall (6'1 ft, or 185 cm) and heavy (230 lbs, or 104 kg) is that most people are terrified of me. And I'm not entirely sure why. Are people just naturally scared of bigger people?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
People get weird about height.

I've met guys who were legitimately offended that women might have height preferences, and these guys weren't even short (I only know one tall girl, and that's my sister).
I do prefer taller guys but I'm like 5'6 so it's not hard to be taller than me. My boyfriend is only like 5'8.

I probably would date a shorter guy, but would prefer not to.
Everyone has preferences, I don't think height is any difference.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, not to me since I am one of those high people. If I was short I would probably feel selfconscious about it. But then I would also benefit from seeing really tall women everyday, and tall women are awesome.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I do feel self conscious about my height. I'm supposed to be average at 5'9", but frankly that seems to be inaccurate information. It likely takes in previous generations or a population who are on average shorter because I am almost always the shortest person in the room. I have difficulty imagining that women would bother looking at me when I'm standing in a room full of men who are 6' or more, with the additional fact that I'm shorter than they are.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Not to me, though It may still matter to some.
I don't see this as much of an issue either, to be honest.
You like what you like.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Not being versed in in feet measurements I'm quite confused by everyone's height. I do know that anything over 6 ft is considered tall, but that's about it.

Also
000Ronald said:
My experience as a moderately tall (6'1 ft, or 155 cm).
6'1 ft definitely ain't 155 cm, as that is very short. Quick google search reveals that 160 cm is 5'2 ft. Your height is slightly over 180 cm. Guess measurement confusion works both ways.

As someone of roughly 5'7 ft / 170 cm (I don't know my height, bite me) I don't have much to say on the topic from personal experience. My problems on the dating scene stem from small self-confidence, not skeleton, and average height has not hindered me anywhere else in life. I did have two friends at previous university who seemed like a good personality match, but she didn't want to date him because he was short. Granted, he was only a bit shorter than me while she was tall enough to be asked whether she plays basketball.

Phasmal said:

I've met guys who were legitimately offended that women might have height preferences, and these guys weren't even short (I only know one tall girl, and that's my sister).
The argument goes that when women have height preference it's fine and dandy for them to shun a short guy who can do nothing about his height, but when men have body-fat percentage preference anywhere on the 10-25% suddenly they are superficial assholes and should be ashamed of themselves, even though fat is something you can work off.
Now, I'm over 100 kg (220 lbs) so I'm in no position to criticize people with some extra weight, I actually like chubby girls (chubby meaning not bigger than me), but I can see the logic behind that argument.

People get weird about shapes and sizes in general.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
People keep pointing out how tall I am(happened today), then yeah, I'd say it matters to some extent.

It also matters every time I bang my head on the doorway in my house because London hates me.

Sep 24, 2008
My ex roommate's boyfriend is black. So am I.

I'm 6'2(188 cm) and work out every day. He's the same, but 5'6 (168 cm). We both have muscle tone that could be considered very comparable.

People are terrified of me until I start speaking, and it turns out I'm not a dangerous minority like on the news. Everyone treats him like an adorable little grown up Arnold Drummond [http://www.clowndrowner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gary-coleman1.jpg]. No one fears him at all.

Height matters.

Dec 10, 2012
000Ronald said:
My experience as a moderately tall (6'1 ft, or 155 cm) and heavy (230 lbs, or 104 kg) is that most people are terrified of me. And I'm not entirely sure why. Are people just naturally scared of bigger people?
Well, kinda, yes. I'm pretty good sized, 6 foot 1 and 180 pounds, and I imagine I am occasionally imposing to short people. And if I'm hanging around a particularly large fellow, I mean it's not like I'm afraid, but I am aware of the fact that this man could crush me if he tried. It's just a situational awareness thing. A guy your size would probably remind an average sized man that he is physically outmatched.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
dangoball said:
Phasmal said:

The argument goes that when women have height preference it's fine and dandy for them to shun a short guy who can do nothing about his height, but when men have body-fat percentage preference anywhere on the 10-25% suddenly they are superficial assholes and should be ashamed of themselves, even though fat is something you can work off.
Now, I'm over 100 kg (220 lbs) so I'm in no position to criticize people with some extra weight, I actually like chubby girls (chubby meaning not bigger than me), but I can see the logic behind that argument.

People get weird about shapes and sizes in general.
I don't really see the logic behind that. If you don't like people who are short, you don't like people who are short. If you don't like people who are fat, you don't like people who are fat. No sense getting angry and bitter about it.

To me it sounds like

`I don't like short guys`
`OH YEAH? WELL I DON'T LIKE CHUBBY GIRLS`

With the sound of no one caring in the background.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Phasmal said:
dangoball said:
self snip
I don't really see the logic behind that. If you don't like people who are short, you don't like people who are short. If you don't like people who are fat, you don't like people who are fat. No sense getting angry and bitter about it.

To me it sounds like

`I don't like short guys`
`OH YEAH? WELL I DON'T LIKE CHUBBY GIRLS`

With the sound of no one caring in the background.
I don't really know why I bother with explaining a position I don't care for, I must really like playing the devil's advocate or something, but anyway:

The thing that gets guys angry is being judged for their preferences in something that can be changed with effort, while for some reason girls think it's completely OK to shun them for aspects outside of their control, like height or dick size.

Of course you are absolutely correct about the lone cricket sound. No one really cares what others like unless there is some desire present. Guess it comes down to individual's levels of superficiality and ego.

Edit: I'm generalizing for the sake of the argument. I don't think all women think like that, actually I think most don't. I'm just presenting the logic people holding that position might hold.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
dangoball said:
I don't really know why I bother with explaining a position I don't care for, I must really like playing the devil's advocate or something, but anyway:

The thing that gets guys angry is being judged for their preferences in something that can be changed with effort, while for some reason girls think it's completely OK to shun them for aspects outside of their control, like height or dick size.

Of course you are absolutely correct about the lone cricket sound. No one really cares what others like unless there is some desire present. Guess it comes down to individual's levels of superficiality and ego.
Yeah, I mean, in theory, I get it.
But it's not like women only judge on height and then all get enraged when men judge on weight. It's kinda attributing the hypothetical actions of some women to all women. So it's dumb.

But yeah. Personally I think people should be as picky as they like, as long as they aren't an arsehole about it.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Phasmal said:
dangoball said:

Yeah, I mean, in theory, I get it.
But it's not like women only judge on height and then all get enraged when men judge on weight. It's kinda attributing the hypothetical actions of some women to all women. So it's dumb.

But yeah. Personally I think people should be as picky as they like, as long as they aren't an arsehole about it.
That is a reasonable position to hold. However, we live in the internet age of Twitter wars, reasonable is out of style.