Does height matter anymore?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I'm 6'2" and have enough women friends who have told me that they refuse to date men shorter than them that I can safely say that is a very commonly desired trait. Lots of women seem to find the idea of being taller than their male partner to be a bit....unusual or weird. I'm not sure I get it, having pretty much never met or dated any women taller than me anyway, but I guess it might be an odd feeling to date a woman who is taller than me, just cause I'm used to being the big one. I guess it's reversed for women with shorter dudes? The woman I'm kinda dating at the moment is 5'10" so she's used to being eye level or taller with a decent number of men, and I think she likes that she can wear heels with me if she wants.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I'm 6'2, and fiercely attracted to short girls. This is pretty funny to me because my dad is tall and he married my very short mom, another trait we have in common.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
My sister is a little shorter than I am, and my brother-in-law is quite tall. No worries.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
People have always and will always respect taller people. It's a part of our nature and tied into the reason why every animal when scared tries to make itself bigger than it really is.

One just has to picture these two situations in their mind, which do you immediately respect more and would honestly listen to if they came right up to you. No I don't mean consciously, but unconsciously: A short person walking up to you and chewing you out staring feet up to you or someone doing the same thing staring feet down from you?

Ten Foot Bunny said:
Whoops... Typo. I meant never met a woman taller than me :p

And I'm 6'8". But most countries seem to be designed around people of 6'3" max.
Most spaces give an allowance for few inches room. Given the average height of men, being the tallest average gender, is 5'10" it makes sense the cut off would be around 6'3".

Ten Foot Bunny said:
As a 6' gal, I'm so glad that lesbian dating doesn't really have these issues. ;)

That said, there are plenty of times when guys bought me drinks in straight bars and then looked at me in horror when I stood up on my heel-clad feet and was 6 or 7 (or more) inches taller than them. Obviously I can't speak from experience, but it seems to me that those guys take themselves out of the dating pool, because while height discrimination IS a real thing to which some women subscribe, those guys' insecurities may preclude their meeting a women to whom height differences don't matter.
Why?

You're height was not what they expected while you were sitting down and most men instinctually prefer shorter women, which ties into women preferring taller men.

Don't confuse a moments shock with prejudice.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
of course it matters. a tall person doesn't need a chair to reach stuff.
when it comes to dating i noticed most online dating profiles seems to have a height requirement.
that said i would totally like to try and date a woman taller then me. however as i'm about 2M i suspect its quite unlikely.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Guess I'll add my 2 cents into this thread. 5'3"(?? in the metric system) is my height!!! Never thought about my height at all for most of my life. I never knew I was short. I'm no virgin by a long shot, BUT once I realized it Pandora's box couldn't be closed back up. Everyday deep down in my heart I feel sad and depressed because of it. On the outside, I'm a cheerful and outgoing person.

As a short guy I feel that taller people don't really respect me. I literally have to have to chase people down to get them to acknowledge my presence. I've had times where I was with taller friends and I was OVERLOOKED like how an adult might not pay attention to a child. I've had taller people ask me how I could be so short. I mean how am I supposed to feel when the whole world literally looks down at you. I've seen people shorter than me and dwarves, but they get brownie points and sympathy for being that short.

As far as women are concerned, I'm practically invisible to most of them. I have to chase them down to get their attention, and even then, it doesn't get any easier knowing that I'm the opposite of what women want.

I try hard with women, because you'll die alone "waiting for the right one". Why do women give such stupid advice? Despite being fitter than most people being an endurance athlete that doesn't compete with tall,dark and handsome. So as a guy I feel like the game of life was rigged for me from the start. Again I end up being one of the shortest people responding to threads like this. Goes to show you that men my height exist and that we face A LOT. So I'm more than qualified to say that height does matter. None of you tall people understand what short guys have to endure anymore than I can understand what a fat person as to go through.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It matters to some people, not to others. There is really no or very little accounting for preference in physical characteristics.

My fiance is rather fond of the fact that I am both bigger and taller than her. I don't see that as a bad thing. I rather like her curves.

Liking someone over physical characteristics is not a bad thing. treating people shitty over them is.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
To me, it doesn't really matter too much. I probably have a tendency to prefer women slightly shorter than myself when it comes to relationships, but that's more a matter of height compatibility so to speak. It wouldn't exclude me from being able to fall for a woman taller than myself.

For friends, most people are taller than me anyway, since I'm pretty short (about 5'4). But it really doesn't affect me the slightest.

I'd argue height does matter in certain contexts though. On a psychological level, taller people usually have an advantage in being imposing or authoritarian. That's why there's a minimum height requirement for being a police officer (in Denmark at least), simply because you need to be able to express authority. As well as be able to wrestle down a reluctant criminal without being tossed around like an officer ragdoll.

Other than that, I guess there's only the various physical advantages/disadvantages in being able to reach the top shelf or being able to walk through a doorway without ducking.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Julius Terrell said:
Guess I'll add my 2 cents into this thread. 5'3"(?? in the metric system) is my height!!! Never thought about my height at all for most of my life. I never knew I was short. I'm no virgin by a long shot, BUT once I realized it Pandora's box couldn't be closed back up. Everyday deep down in my heart I feel sad and depressed because of it. On the outside, I'm a cheerful and outgoing person.

As a short guy I feel that taller people don't really respect me. I literally have to have to chase people down to get them to acknowledge my presence. I've had times where I was with taller friends and I was OVERLOOKED like how an adult might not pay attention to a child. I've had taller people ask me how I could be so short. I mean how am I supposed to feel when the whole world literally looks down at you. I've seen people shorter than me and dwarves, but they get brownie points and sympathy for being that short.

As far as women are concerned, I'm practically invisible to most of them. I have to chase them down to get their attention, and even then, it doesn't get any easier knowing that I'm the opposite of what women want.

I try hard with women, because you'll die alone "waiting for the right one". Why do women give such stupid advice? Despite being fitter than most people being an endurance athlete that doesn't compete with tall,dark and handsome. So as a guy I feel like the game of life was rigged for me from the start. Again I end up being one of the shortest people responding to threads like this. Goes to show you that men my height exist and that we face A LOT. So I'm more than qualified to say that height does matter. None of you tall people understand what short guys have to endure anymore than I can understand what a fat person as to go through.
Honestly mate, just be yourself and the right lady will come along. Its when you stop looking, you mean notice certain people around you may have had some feelings for you. Just don't rush it and natural. I'm no looker myself (tall rugby type I am) but saying that, not all women go for looks. They mostly go for confidence and someone who is true to themselves and not pretending to be another person. Take your time and don't feel the pressure from other people into getting into a relationship so quickly.

When you get older, looks aren't always the most important thing when looking for a partner.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, at least a bit.

I mean, I'd generally rather be the tallest person in the room than the shortest. I'm a comfortable 6'1"/185cm and of solid build so I've never really had to worry about it.

I do feel that some people overstate the importance of height. It really isn't some kind of instant respect voucher/sex ticket. But maybe that's like white people saying racism isn't a thing or wealthy people saying that money isn't important. Maybe if I were to wake up tomorrow six inches shorter I'd suddenly notice the difference.

I don't personally factor height into attraction. I've been attracted to tiny women and I've been attracted to tall women and everything in between. I would feel a bit funny going out with a woman significantly taller than myself, given that the general expectation is for things to be the other way around, but I would happily laugh it off. I was once hopelessly taken with a lass who was at least 6'3" (no, nothing happened, she already had someone) so it certainly wouldn't even come close to being a dealbreaker. However it's never actually come up.

Julius Terrell said:
You know, I see you post something to this effect every time the subject comes up. I always want to say something but don't because I may just lack the perspective, so to speak.

But mate, really, by your own description you're friendly, outgoing, fit, healthy and "no virgin by a long shot", so women are demonstrably willing to sleep with you, shortness be damned.

That's really not such a bad place to be. Plenty of guys have to make do with a whole lot less.

CrystalShadow said:
I'm so tall that if I put that restriction on things my chances of meeting anyone become so minuscule I might as well give up.

It's a challenge even finding a guy the same height as me, let alone one that's taller.

Given that situation, what difference does it make to me if I have to date a 'tall' guy (who is probably still shorter than me unless he's really, freakishly tall), or a 'short' one?
Okay, now I'm curious. Dare I ask exactly how tall you actually are?

("None of your business you nosy sod", is of course a perfectly valid answer.)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
CrystalShadow said:
I'm so tall that if I put that restriction on things my chances of meeting anyone become so minuscule I might as well give up.

It's a challenge even finding a guy the same height as me, let alone one that's taller.

Given that situation, what difference does it make to me if I have to date a 'tall' guy (who is probably still shorter than me unless he's really, freakishly tall), or a 'short' one?

Well, yeah... It really isn't any of your business, but... I don't mind that much really...

I'm 187 cm (or 6'2"). I mean, there's a reasonable number of guys my height, but it starts to become very slim pickings indeed if I actually try and find someone taller than me...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Zhukov said:
CrystalShadow said:

Well, yeah... It really isn't any of your business, but... I don't mind that much really...

I'm 187 cm (or 6'2"). I mean, there's a reasonable number of guys my height, but it starts to become very slim pickings indeed if I actually try and find someone taller than me...
Ah, thank you for indulging my curiosity.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Yes, height does matter I think for some. I am petite and I do not like to date guys too tall or too short, but at comfortable kissable height and suitable for good sex positions. Sex with a really tall guy is awkward as well as with a short guy, so I like a man that is " just right" , and have tended to avoid major height differences after awkward experiences with tall guys. Since I am short to begin with I have never dated a guy shorter than me. HAHA! A man within a foot taller than me is good, more than that.. no way it gets weird in bed.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
In my experience women are like amusement park rides and men are like elevators. Women have a height requirement and men have a weight limit. I'm only about 5'8" typically(thanks to a birth defect in my back it can vary between 5'6" and 6' on some off days). From what I have seen however, while men certainly find tall women no less attractive than short women, they do often find them less approachable. It's the interesting thing about women in heels. The heels do tend to accentuate some of the more attractive female features which helps with their attractiveness, but it also makes them taller and a bit harder for most men to approach. I know a lot of women who wear heels or platforms in order to get hit on a bit less than usual in clubs and it passively helps them weed out men with less self-esteem since they tend to find confident men more attractive. But this is all very general stuff.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
000Ronald said:
My experience as a moderately tall (6'1 ft, or 185 cm) and heavy (230 lbs, or 104 kg) is that most people are terrified of me. And I'm not entirely sure why. Are people just naturally scared of bigger people?
I have a similar experience. I'm 6'2 and 210. My weight is predominantly muscle so when a lot of people see a tall guy with big arms and an eyebrow piercing they tend to keep their distance. There's some serious book cover judging going on but that just makes them all the more happy when they found out what a nice dude I am.

OT: Yeah I think size matters still. Personally, I love being tall and all of the girls/women I've been with are attractive to how much taller I am than them. Tallest girl I ever dated was 5'9 so definitely taller than average. I liked it but I prefer shorter ladies. Easier to toss around.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
beastro said:
You're height was not what they expected while you were sitting down and most men instinctually prefer shorter women, which ties into women preferring taller men.

Don't confuse a moments shock with prejudice.
Oh, I never said it was prejudice and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I only meant what I said in the context of how I said it: guys sometimes have awkward reactions when unexpectedly confronted by a tall girl. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing to read into.

Besides, I don't give a rat's ass what guys think about my height. They don't have a chance with me anyway. ;)

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ten Foot Bunny said:
As a 6' gal, I'm so glad that lesbian dating doesn't really have these issues.
If you're 6 foot your username is misleading. =)

On topic. I do remember reading that on average women prefer men that are taller then them, and men prefer women shorter then them. So I guess it matters. I'm average height for a guy in the U.S so most woman are shorter then me so I've never really noticed.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I'm 6'6" and I like shorter women. Lucky really, imagine if I didn't!

But seriously, probably 5'4" to 5'8" is my ideal lady size.

And short man syndrome certainly exists. Every single man that has been unnecessarily angry or picked a fight has been shorter than me! Weird but true!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Being tiny like I am, 5'2"-5'4", because apparently even doctor's measurements can't agree on me, is rather a bit of a pain in the rear. Being short as I am makes it hard to reach things on high up shelves, and such complaints you can expect from short people. But most people feel far more comfortable with a short gal rather than a super tall one. So yes height is still a factor in today's world, it's a sign of good health and is attractive for people of either sex to be a bit taller than average. That's an advantage in practical fields, romantic ones, and professional ones. Though there are plenty of times us shorties come in handy.

Ten Foot Bunny said:
As a 6' gal, I'm so glad that lesbian dating doesn't really have these issues. ;)

That said, there are plenty of times when guys bought me drinks in straight bars and then looked at me in horror when I stood up on my heel-clad feet and was 6 or 7 (or more) inches taller than them. Obviously I can't speak from experience, but it seems to me that those guys take themselves out of the dating pool, because while height discrimination IS a real thing to which some women subscribe, those guys' insecurities may preclude their meeting a women to whom height differences don't matter.
I wouldn't say they were horrified as much as surprised/shocked. I know plenty of guys who like "amazon" women. So if they are truly horrified by a tall woman... Well the hell with them. Shallow jerks.