Does the LGB community hate transexuals?

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Volf99 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
You what I'm more concerned about? Asexuality never comes up. People who aren't sexually attracted to either gender. Pansexuality and Demisexuality are the same way. I'm tired of gays getting all the freaking spotlight, frankly.
what is demisexuality
In lamens terms, you can't get it up, unless you're in love with the other person.

Yeah, that's an actual sexuality.
This is what I was bitching about. That's completely ridiculous.

Not that sex is a non-issue unless you're with someone you love; I can get behind that, and on the practical side of things, we wouldn't be overpopulating if everyone were that way, that's for damn sure.

What's ridiculous is that someone had to insist it needs its own categorization so people didn't feel insecure about it and/or got to feel like a special snowflake because of it.

jesskit

Jan 22, 2011
ReinWeisserRitter post=38 said:
Afterthought: A lot of transsexuals would have it easier if they didn't run around yelling "WHOO I'M A TRANSSEXUAL", much like many gay people would. I can sympathize with it being exciting to come to the realization, but the more you present it as unusual and strange (which is what you're doing by calling attention to it, whether you realize it or not), the more willing people will be to see it as such. Just throwing that out there. Feel free to replace "transsexual" with any unusual lifestyle, by the way. Works just as well.

Of course, it's entirely possible to bring it up naturally and without awkwardness... when it's topical or relevant. Finesse is a necessary skill in all things social, you know.
The issue often arrises here with why should lgb people have to hide when straight people are allowed to openly celebrate their lives. where there is much more acceptance than i think the showing off about it will reduce.

I didnt include trans people here, because many trans people dont want to yell out about it, but we have to make i know because of the struggles we face

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
You what I'm more concerned about? Asexuality never comes up. People who aren't sexually attracted to either gender. Pansexuality and Demisexuality are the same way. I'm tired of gays getting all the freaking spotlight, frankly.
I'm concerned with that, too.

Or I would be, if they never came up.

While assexuality and pansexuality may be dismissed or ridiculed by the GBLT community (as a whole), that's a far cry from not being brought up.

Considering I've only recently heard of demisexuality and read nothing on it, I have trouble commenting.

Still, discrimination is discrimination and it's stupid regardless.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Batou667 said:
Harbinger_ said:
I had assumed that LGBT stood for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered.
Yeah, it does (sometimes the T is just "Trans" to enco pass any degree of transgender, pre-op or post-op, or hermaphrodite).

People make the mistake of thinking that since Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals are a "progressive" movement, they must therefore be totally liberal and have an empathy for all people of a non-heteronormative nature. Not so; as in any "community" there are the gate-keepers and the old guard who are fiercely opposed to what they see as change or subversion to their cause.

I've seen people express similar surprise when they learn that some atheists are homophobic - shouldn't that be the exclusive reserve of the big bad deists? After all, atheists and gays are both Left-wing Liberals, right? Not necessarily. Real Life (tm) doesn't function like the US political system: it's not a one-dimensional spectrum with clearly defined polar extremes.
Wait... hermaphrodite? How?

I may not be a biologist, but I've studied enough human biology to have gone over a chart of every possible combination of X and Y chromosomes a human being can end up with and none of those variations produce functional male and female reproductive organs. Please explain, this is fascinating.

willbailes

Jan 30, 2011
As a part of the community, I'd like to say my disgust for transgenders is that they came to a complete different conclusion that we LGB did. We accepted ourselves, took with pride who we were born as, I was born a gay man. alright. But Transsexuals didn't accept themselves, I view them as running away, of wanting to be someone (something) else. That's not the loving accepting message we strive for.

On a side point I'm against all changing of the body that way, fake breasts, butt, anyone taking "enlarging" pills, I simply cannot see a honorable or respectable person do that to her or himself.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
jesskit said:
ReinWeisserRitter post=38 said:
Afterthought: A lot of transsexuals would have it easier if they didn't run around yelling "WHOO I'M A TRANSSEXUAL", much like many gay people would. I can sympathize with it being exciting to come to the realization, but the more you present it as unusual and strange (which is what you're doing by calling attention to it, whether you realize it or not), the more willing people will be to see it as such. Just throwing that out there. Feel free to replace "transsexual" with any unusual lifestyle, by the way. Works just as well.

Of course, it's entirely possible to bring it up naturally and without awkwardness... when it's topical or relevant. Finesse is a necessary skill in all things social, you know.
The issue often arrises here with why should lgb people have to hide when straight people are allowed to openly celebrate their lives. where there is much more acceptance than i think the showing off about it will reduce.

I didnt include trans people here, because many trans people dont want to yell out about it, but we have to make i know because of the struggles we face
"Openly celebrate their lives" nothing; they don't run around yelling "OH MAN LOOK HOW STRAIGHT I AM" either, and if they did, people would wonder what they're on. If someone held a straight pride parade, I'd think they were idiots, too. So would you.

The point is that straight people just mind their own business and don't think it's a big deal, because it isn't. But neither are relations that aren't solely between a man and a woman; we've had them in our history probably as long as we as a species has existed, and in many points in many cultures' history (the Greeks, the Romans, the Japanese, so forth), it's been an integral part of their society.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Volf99 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
what is demisexuality
In lamens terms, you can't get it up, unless you're in love with the other person.

Yeah, that's an actual sexuality.
This is what I was bitching about. That's completely ridiculous.

Not that sex is a non-issue unless you're with someone you love; I can get behind that, and on the practical side of things, we wouldn't be overpopulating if everyone were that way, that's for damn sure.

What's ridiculous is that someone had to insist it needs its own categorization so people didn't feel insecure about it and/or got to feel like a special snowflake because of it.
I wasn't actual Demisexual people who coined the term, it was a psychiatrist. He reasoned that it was halfway between sexuality and asexuality. Their reaction was the same as yours now, along the lines of "We need to have a word for this?"
I never claimed the people it refers to are the people that came up with it. I actually suspected it was the work of a psychiatrist; people something doesn't pertain to are often among the first to rally to its cause, even if the subjects themselves don't think there is a cause.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
nikki191 said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:

actually most transexuals dont do that.. for the simple fact that walking down the street minding your own business can be enough to provoke abuse or an attack
It wouldn't be if the attackers didn't know they had a perceived reason to. There are more ways to advertise your status than with words.

Of course, there are some people that just pass really, really poorly, and I feel badly for them, as their genetic makeup isn't their fault, but everyone else has to work with what they have, and transsexuals aren't an exception. There are some really masculine biological women out there, for example, but they haven't been subjected to any hate crimes that I know of. But if a transsexual woman ends up in that category, it's probably not in her best interest to run around in pumps and a miniskirt either, you know what I mean?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
OtherSideofSky said:
Wait... hermaphrodite? How?

I may not be a biologist, but I've studied enough human biology to have gone over a chart of every possible combination of X and Y chromosomes a human being can end up with and none of those variations produce functional male and female reproductive organs. Please explain, this is fascinating.
Doesn't work in the really really world, yeah.

ReinWeisserRitter said:
The point is that straight people just mind their own business and don't think it's a big deal, because it isn't. But neither are relations that aren't solely between a man and a woman; we've had them in our history probably as long as we as a species has existed, and in many points in many cultures' history (the Greeks, the Romans, the Japanese, so forth), it's been an integral part of their society.
It isn't a big deal because people assume it to be the norm.

Many cultures have accepted othwr sexualities (pigeonholing them apparently is a recent thing), but currently only heterosexuality is truly accepted.

Being something other than heterosexual means alot of people, often very violent and/or well connected will want you not to exist.

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
I've got nothing against LGB or T, but I've always thought that T's don't belong in the same category as the other three.

jesskit

Jan 22, 2011
willbailes post=45 said:
As a part of the community, I'd like to say my disgust for transgenders is that they came to a complete different conclusion that we LGB did. We accepted ourselves, took with pride who we were born as, I was born a gay man. alright. But Transsexuals didn't accept themselves, I view them as running away, of wanting to be someone (something) else. That's not the loving accepting message we strive for.
this is exactly what i was saying before, many lgb people cannot understand why a trans person does not feel right in themselves. By saying were not loving and having a go at our understanding of ourselves you really are furthering the transphobia. Try to put ur self in the shoes of someone who 100% feels they are the opposite gender to their birth sex, then imagine how it would feel to look at your body and see that it does not match. further to this then imagine people are telling you to just be happy with what you have, and that if you did that you know u would never feel right in your self. This is the experience of almost every trans person out there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
willbailes said:

On a side point I'm against all changing of the body that way, fake breasts, butt, anyone taking "enlarging" pills, I simply cannot see a honorable or respectable person do that to her or himself.
We do accept ourselves. What you seem to expect is for us to live up to your assessment instead of our own, which is every bit as bigoted as homophobes.

nikki191 said:
actually most transexuals dont do that.. for the simple fact that walking down the street minding your own business can be enough to provoke abuse or an attack

dont confuse internet posers and drag queens for transexuals
But casual transphobia is so much easier when you can run with the "rubbing it in our faces" argument.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
willbailes said:

I'm going to call bullshit here. This reeks of someone sitting astride a high horse, and if you don't actually have a chip on your shoulder because of your stance, I owe you an apology, but am going to call the stance bullshit regardless. Would you criticize someone for trying to overcome a birth defect? For trying to cure their blindness, or deafness, triumph over being crippled, or mentally addled, or anything of the sort, because they "didn't accept themselves"? I'm willing to doubt it.

Gender dysphoria can be every bit as destructive to a person's life, potentially moreso because the subject doesn't necessarily have a clear indication there's a problem, or how to deal with it. A blind person knows they're blind; they know they can't see. They know what their issue is, and have more ability to come to terms with it, because it's right there in front of them. This is not necessarily such an easily identified, diagnosed, or easily (if such a word as "easy" can be used in this context) coped with issue, and because it's not as obvious, or not as widely recognized, it can be seen as not as important, and thus can be allowed to run its potentially destructive course, unabated, throughout a person's entire life. Yes, there are more than enough people who use it as an excuse for attention, or hell, even a change of lifestyle for the hell of it. But for some people it's like being crippled, often with having no way of knowing what's wrong, and having no way of coming to terms with it.

And if you really just don't understand that, that's... well, understandable. But if you're using the fact that it's not your problem as an excuse to look down on it, then truly, shame on you, and all others like you.

MrCalypso

Jul 14, 2010
I'm not really involved with the community but a very good friend, and my employer, has been heavily involved for over twenty years. He used to manage a gay bar until a disagreement with the owner caused him and my other boss to leave. It was over a new policy where transgender people had to show an photo ID of themselves exactly as they looked that night in order to get into the bar. Unfortunately not a lot of them had photo ID's like that since they only usually dressed when they went out. So he lost a lot of business on both sides from this but didn't care cause he'd gotten rid of the transgenders. The owner apparently really really hated transgenders, and he was gay, and I guess a lot of the younger guys who went to that particular nightclub hated them as well. So I guess, like anywhere, you'll find a minority of people who can't stand another group of people. Here it just happens to be two groups that are closely associated with each other by the public.

phylline

Oct 23, 2011
I don't doubt it exists, but I've never come across it.

The only form of intolerance in the LGBT community I've come across is that sometimes the gay community can be quite bi-phobic.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Out of the few LGB people I've gotten close enough to know something like this about them, most of them are not particularly fond of transsexuals, they don't hate them, but there is no love either.