Does the LGB community hate transexuals?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ReinWeisserRitter said:
willbailes said:
Would you criticize someone for trying to overcome a birth defect? For trying to cure their blindness, or deafness, triumph over being crippled, or mentally addled, or anything of the sort, because they "didn't accept themselves"? I'm willing to doubt it.
You can't compare getting a sex change with having a physical deformity (like cleft lip) or physical disability (like being born blind).

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Dags90 said:
evilthecat said:
I might further add that it's upper-middle class white gay men who are grossly overrepresented. I would also refer to "The Myth of the Black Community" and equally apply it to the LGBT community.
wait, what is "The Myth of the Black Community"?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Volf99 said:
It's a short student piece on how there really are no unified minority groups.[footnote]http://www.scribd.com/doc/38955407/The-Myth-of-the-Black-Community[/footnote] Minorities are spread out over a fair amount of socioecnomic strata, even those generally considered disadvantaged. The idea of one group purporting to have those diverse groups of people in their interests is foolhardy. This leads to some groups being marginalized within that community, making it no longer actually representative of the group it purports to represent as a whole.

I.e. Because gay, upper-middle class, white men are generally overrepresented in most "LGBT Communities", they don't actually represent the interests of the full "LGBT Community". "LGBT Community" is a false label in these circumstances, and the group would more appropriately be called "The Upper-Middle Class Gay White Man Community".

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Dags90 said:
Volf99 said:
It's a short student piece on how there really are no unified minority groups.[footnote]http://www.scribd.com/doc/38955407/The-Myth-of-the-Black-Community[/footnote] Minorities are spread out over a fair amount of socioecnomic strata, even those generally considered disadvantaged. The idea of one group purporting to have those diverse groups of people in their interests is foolhardy. This leads to some groups being marginalized within that community, making it no longer actually representative of the group it purports to represent as a whole.

I.e. Because gay, upper-middle class, white men are generally overrepresented in most "LGBT Communities", they don't actually represent the interests of the full "LGBT Community". "LGBT Community" is a false label in these circumstances, and the group would more appropriately
be called "The Upper-Middle Class Gay White Man Community".
hmmm... well when you think about it, I guess this also applies the the majority community as well, because ask any two straight, middle class, white men on issues regarding something like politics and you'll likely to get to completely different opinions.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Volf99 said:
hmmm... well when you think about it, I guess this also applies the the majority community as well, because ask any two straight, middle class, white men on issues regarding something like politics and you'll likely to get to completely different opinions.
With "majority" communities, it's generally taken as a given fact that no one group could possibly represent all white people. Or all men, or even all white men.

Mictarmite

Nov 5, 2011
Well, as a B i think everyone else is lying to themselves and we are all actually bisexual...

I'm joking, but i know people who are completely for that stuff, because everyone thinks they've got the correct 'sexuality', that's a reason why some heterosexual's hassle others so much, and because the some LG can't hassle the straight people (due to obvious biological imperative), they instead hassle the B&T, while B's generally hassle everyone else if they're like that.

My point is, that like every other 'community'(geeks, certain races etc.), it's far more complicated than one group hating on another group, though that's already been pointed out multiple times.

However, because you seem to be interested, remember that the only thing in common with many in the group is their sexuality, not the best of interests to base a group on, so there's going to be a lot of differing opinions on everything. I personally stopped going to my community because i had Nothing in common with anyone else there, and that wasn't fun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Volf99 said:
You can't compare getting a sex change with having a physical deformity (like cleft lip) or physical disability (like being born blind).
Except that's pretty much exactly what it is.

Mictarmite said:
I'm joking, but i know people who are completely for that stuff, because everyone thinks they've got the correct 'sexuality',
Unfortunately quite true. We determine what's "right" based on our sense of self.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dags90 said:
It's a short student piece on how there really are no unified minority groups. Minorities are spread out over a fair amount of socioecnomic strata, even those generally considered disadvantaged.
Frequently brought up when two voices in the same community have two differing opinions to try and demonstrate the "hypocrisy" of the overall group.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Volf99 said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:
willbailes said:
Would you criticize someone for trying to overcome a birth defect? For trying to cure their blindness, or deafness, triumph over being crippled, or mentally addled, or anything of the sort, because they "didn't accept themselves"? I'm willing to doubt it.
I can compare whatever I like, thanks, but ignoring that, I didn't compare getting a sex change to a physical deformity. I compared gender dysphoria to it. Don't twist peoples' words for the sake of an argument; it's bad form.

And don't get me wrong, they're only as comparable as it goes that it can interfere and have a crippling effect on one's life. It's a mental issue that for many people must be overcome or addressed, elsewise some can suffer greatly, or worse, make those around them suffer. The major difference is that it's not something the rest of the world is aware of at a glance, but our mental well-being is integral to our overall well-being.

I'm not saying everyone that suffers from it is in actual need of having their genitals turned inside out (for many people it's a matter of doing what they want the way they want it interpreted, rather than because they can't live happy and/or productive lives otherwise, and some transsexuals are perfectly capable of living in their birth gender comfortably, if not entirely so), nor am I saying that everyone that suffers from it has a serious, crippling medical condition. But like all mental issues (and all physical deformities), it hits some of us harder than it does others.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
OtherSideofSky said:
Wait... hermaphrodite? How?

I may not be a biologist, but I've studied enough human biology to have gone over a chart of every possible combination of X and Y chromosomes a human being can end up with and none of those variations produce functional male and female reproductive organs. Please explain, this is fascinating.
I'm afraid I probably won't be as enlightening as Wikipedia on this issue as I don't know a whole load about it myself - all I know is that about 1 person in 4000 is for whatever reason born with a physical gender ambiguity. As for having functional male AND female organs, I'm pretty sure that's just in the domain of certain Japanese Mangas... in reality the person is more likely to have non-functioning "transitionary" genitals.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
no its not (unless your talking about a intersex person), because there is nothing physically wrong with them, its in their head, which is not the case for people born with a cleft lip.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
It really doesn't make sense to lump trans in with homosexuals and bisexuals. One is a gender issue, the other three categories are sexuality issues.

Are they at all related? Somewhat I guess. Are they related enough that they should be lumped together? Probably not.

I've met a gay guy who made fun of trans people quite a bit. He made fun of every group pretty well, but he seemed more legitimately disturbed by trans people than by the other groups he made fun of (fat people, straight people, Communists, anybody who wasn't Mexican, anybody not Catholic, ect).

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Batou667 said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Wait... hermaphrodite? How?

I may not be a biologist, but I've studied enough human biology to have gone over a chart of every possible combination of X and Y chromosomes a human being can end up with and none of those variations produce functional male and female reproductive organs. Please explain, this is fascinating.
I'm afraid I probably won't be as enlightening as Wikipedia on this issue as I don't know a whole load about it myself - all I know is that about 1 person in 4000 is for whatever reason born with a physical gender ambiguity. As for having functional male AND female organs, I'm pretty sure that's just in the domain of certain Japanese Mangas... in reality the person is more likely to have non-functioning "transitionary" genitals.
Ah, I see, thank you. After a bit of research, it appears that this is just a case of most people not knowing what the word "hermaphrodite" means and using it incorrectly.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I'm a bisexual male, and I wouldn't say there is a "rift" between our community at all.
I'm sure there's a handful of us somewhere who don't feel the same way, but most of us are accepting of all people, I mean we want people to accept us right?
Hell, one of my friends, a gay male, organized a vigil for transgender day of remembrance just a couple weeks ago, and of the 7 people, including myself, who attended only one was actually transgender, and she wasn't even organizing it.
I'd say the LGBT community is closer together than ever.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
This may come as a shock to you but the LBGT Community is not one person!

Some LGB folk don't like Transexuals, hell even Bisexuals get some hate. Just goes to show that being a minority doesn't mean you can't be bigoted.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
Batou667 said:
Harbinger_ said:
I had assumed that LGBT stood for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered.
Yeah, it does (sometimes the T is just "Trans" to enco pass any degree of transgender, pre-op or post-op, or hermaphrodite).

People make the mistake of thinking that since Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals are a "progressive" movement, they must therefore be totally liberal and have an empathy for all people of a non-heteronormative nature. Not so; as in any "community" there are the gate-keepers and the old guard who are fiercely opposed to what they see as change or subversion to their cause.

I've seen people express similar surprise when they learn that some atheists are homophobic - shouldn't that be the exclusive reserve of the big bad deists? After all, atheists and gays are both Left-wing Liberals, right? Not necessarily. Real Life (tm) doesn't function like the US political system: it's not a one-dimensional spectrum with clearly defined polar extremes.
Not just the US political system, Canada's too *is Canadian*. Not really homophobic, just can't muster the energy to care. If I had to be 'phobic' in some way I suppose I'd be peoplephobic. Not sure if you were suggesting I was homophobic with that, it's hard to tell certain things on the internet. Also on the topic of religious or anti-religious people not being for gays I've known a few buddhists to actually not enjoy the idea of homosexuality which seems strange to me considering their belief system and my sparse knowledge of it.
Buddhism is against any sexual activity that won't result in progeny. Homosexuals should be tolerated in secular society but sex should always be penises in vaginae for the purpose of creating children. That's Tibetan Buddhism anyway, well the Dalai Llama specifically.

EDIT: Plus they are Pro-Life except where "if the unborn child will be retarded or if the birth will create serious problems for the parent". That's the Dalai Llama again.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Volf99 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
no its not (unless your talking about a intersex person), because there is nothing physically wrong with them, its in their head, which is not the case for people born with a cleft lip.
Actually brainscans have shown that Trans people's brains operate more like the gender they identify with rather then the one they were born with, so there is a biological factor in it.