Does this site ever give you a headache?

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Not really. There are frustrating episodes, but pretty soon I just realize that the other guy is not interested in discussion, decide that I'm wasting my time, and go do something else.

Mostly I come here, or to tvtropes, or to Cracked, to get away from frustration while working. Like, right now. Cinema 4D is a buggy enough piece of software that prolonged use creates a risk of knuckle fractures, so it's best to take breaks every now and then. Or go do the dishes or something.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
I don't really know who annoys me more, the idealists or the fourteen year old cynics who have it all figured out however it's always either in Religion and Politics or Sexism discussions. But all in all this site isn't better or worse than any other gaming site apart from the general smugness with which everybody spouts their ignorance.
Maybe all those armchair psychiatrists who everytime someone did something really horrible IRL (usually murder cases) shout "Look at him! You can see he's a psycho!"
Oh and that I have to live with some of the dumber stuff I posted here in the last years.

Edit and a wee bit off-topic:
Atmos Duality said:
Because the other side(s), no matter how it ends, always assumes they are right. About everything. The status-quo remains, at all costs because you can NEVER be wrong on the Internet.
Anything they are proven wrong defaults to interpretation, and failing that, attacks on the person making the argument.
Do you include yourself in that statement (just genuine curiosity)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
C F said:
dogstile said:
loc978 said:
To answer the title: yes, ever since they switched to the blinding white motif, I can't leave this site open on a screen for long without developing a headache.
This so hard. I really think it should be an option to have blue back, even if it was a quick job that had a few issues I think i'd like it better. This grey I currently have isn't much better.
Doesn't bother me much. I always use my computer in a well-lit environment, which evens out the otherwise concentrated light source you're staring at. As a matter of fact, there's three windows to the right of me. Of course, if you're in a darkened room...
Well you can assume if you like. However, half the wall on my right (its a pretty big wall) is made up of glass. I also have the lights in this room on.

What do you think I am, some basement dweller? ;)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Every single one of those "I'm a Nice Guy TM, why does no girl treat me as anything more than a doormat? Wah wah wah!" threads is guaranteed to roll my eyes so far back into my head that I'm staring out of my arse.

And should you dare suggest that there's a difference between being nice, and being a lick arse, you're denounced as someone who beats women out of sheer boredom.

And then there's the "I really respect women, which is why I'm now about to list 5 ways in which they should all behave exactly the same".

I hate threads on girls, basically. And on the forums.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Saulkar said:
iBagel said:
Oh and the amount of people claiming to have asbergers.
I have to agree on that one. I was diagnosed after a six month observation period twelve years ago and rediagnosed with it in 2010. The number of people who use (self diagnosed) Aspergers as an excuse for antisocial behavior is appalling and makes it difficult to discuss it online because most people will either assume you are a deplorable fuck witt or a self diagnosed twat. If I had not mentioned that I had Aspergers would you have even known?
Oh boy, can I sympathize with that sentiment.

Not because of Aspergers specifically (I don't have it), but the self-proclaimed "ADD" & "ADHD" kids from my generation.
Unlike most self-diagnosees (for lack of a real word) of ADHD, I actually had a fairly rigorous trial for my diagnosis; including MRIs (which was done because my aunt had just been diagnosed with Multiple-Sclerosis around then, and there was some other family history bits that I won't disclose here) bloodwork, EMGs and an assortment of physical/medical batteries.

While I'm still highly dubious of the existence of ADHD as an actual disease (which the Pharmaceutical companies LOVE, by the way), I have had significant trouble focusing on tasks throughout my life and I was INCREDIBLY hyperactive as a kid, to the point where it was socially deviating from everyone else in my class.

Yet, if I were to believe what I hear, over half of my graduating class and even more of my future peers were ADHD...and they act nothing like I did...except when they're using it as an excuse to act stupid or inattentive.

Which I find highly convenient for them.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It can do, sometimes. I don't get involved in arguments as much as I used to though. I tend to just read, hold my head in my hands and take a deep breath, and move on. I just can't bring myself to get into arguments with nutcases anymore. I guess that's just because this is by far the largest forum I frequent (hell, the only other place I really go these days is the Escapecraft forum), so I'm bound to run into a wider variety of views. This is the internet after all.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kapri said:
I really love/hate threads regarding feminism and the video game industry because it's a topic I enjoy discussing. BUT I always no there's going to be those few people who are complete and utter pricks and yet for some reason I still feel the need to scroll through and read all the dumbass comments. It get's frustrating but I eventually put the gun down and get over it :D
You mean those people completely and utterly freaking out over that new ME3 character.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Sometimes, from time to time, I stumble upon things that tick me off. I notice some hypocrisy on this sites forum as well as smug and elitist nature every once in awhile. The worst though are the ego-maniacs that I see sometimes. Other than that and the occasional troll though, this site actually helps me relax.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Lazier Than Thou said:
Yes. Very much so. Not because of the background(it's white? I wouldn't know https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nosquint/ ) but because I'm an idiot.
Oh my god, thank you so much for linking to this addon. I absolutely HATE white backgrounds, they make my eyes bleed and give me cancer.

The misanthropes irritate me, I mean, the smugness and moral superiority displayed just gives me a headache sometimes. Everytime I see someone type about his or her 'faith in humanity', I just have to shake my head.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I gotta say, Im having a serious case of deja vu right now

as in the gaming forums and the discussion of ME3...its DA2 all over again :/

[small/] (I think it has begun...the storm is coming, I may have to escape to my bunker soon...I knew it would come but this soon? dark times ahead my freinds..dark times indeed) [/small]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dead Raen said:
It's hard to get your voice heard here because any topic that's gone over a single page has some sort of ongoing argument. I can guarantee that maybe only five or so people, at most, will read this very post, and fewer will respond.

Your identity becomes lost amongst the chaos and bitterness that flow through the forum. It's why I so rarely post. There are many times when I consider responding to someone, even write something in the reply box, but then leave the page without posting because I know there's no damn point - especially not here.

Though I suppose it's not like I have anything to say that hasn't already been covered previously in the topic anyway. What a mess.
It depends I supose

somtimes even if it is a long running thread I still like to put forward my veiw...you never know...you might get commented on, and why isnt there any point? you dont gain anything if you dont contribute

Woodsey said:
Every single one of those "I'm a Nice Guy TM, why does no girl treat me as anything more than a doormat? Wah wah wah!" threads is guaranteed to roll my eyes so far back into my head that I'm staring out of my arse.

And should you dare suggest that there's a difference between being nice, and being a lick arse, you're denounced as someone who beats women out of sheer boredom.

And then there's the "I really respect women, which is why I'm now about to list 5 ways in which they should all behave exactly the same".

I hate threads on girls, basically. And on the forums.
YES...those thread piss me off to no end, especially the passive agressive mysogany

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Whenever a topic involving feminism/abortion comes up, it makes me want to cry and bang my head against the table until my brain can't comprehend the words people are typing anymore.

Not that I could understand them very well in the first place.
Ah, yes. The Escapist and women.
maddness666 said:
I have
It should be God that's important. Not religion.
Well damn, that's a pretty interesting opinion :).

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Oh yes, but this forum is still the most tame I've ever frequented, and the most mature by comparison. There are enough people here that are pretty awesome that they can take away my hatred for all the ignorant monkeys that make me bang my head in the keyboard. If you're careful about what threads you click on, it can end up not being much of a problem, but then you also miss out on awesome people with valid opinions. It's a mixed bag, but at least the bag is made of velvet and not paper.

I avoid threads about religion and women like the plague. I guess I don't like being branded a homophobic, racist feminist who wants men to do everything for me, which, according to many opinions on here, I qualify as that, though I'm actually quire far from it. (But I won't get into that, just saying it gives me a headache.)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Not really ever. I either have a significant tolerance for bullshit and insanity, or I just don't see stuff on this site that really gets me upset or anything. It is probably a mix of both. :eek:

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Hargrimm said:
Lazier Than Thou said:
Yes. Very much so. Not because of the background(it's white? I wouldn't know https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nosquint/ ) but because I'm an idiot.
Oh my god, thank you so much for linking to this addon. I absolutely HATE white backgrounds, they make my eyes bleed and give me cancer.
Yeah, it's a great addon, just realize that sometimes it screws with websites pretty badly. I keep Google Chrome on stand-by, just in case nosquint makes a website unusable, but those are pretty rare circumstances. You can also turn it off if you need to, but, well, that's more effort than copying a URL and then pasting it into a new window.

More websites need to use the black background and white text standard.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
iBagel said:
Saulkar said:
iBagel said:
Oh and the amount of people claiming to have asbergers.
I have to agree on that one. I was diagnosed after a six month observation period twelve years ago and rediagnosed with it in 2010. The number of people who use (self diagnosed) Aspergers as an excuse for antisocial behavior is appalling and makes it difficult to discuss it online because most people will either assume you are a deplorable fuck witt or a self diagnosed twat. If I had not mentioned that I had Aspergers would you have even known?
No, but quite rankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Conterproductive to my aformentioned statement I have no idea what you are talking about. I recognise the quote but I do not understand its implications outside of snarky apathy.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Only on the Religion and Politics forum.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, or whatever I promise, I just can't seem to convince people that being a Catholic doesn't automatically make me some Right-Wing conservative nutjob.

Yes I'm a catholic, but I also whole-heartedly support gay marriage, transgenders and really any sexuality preferences you might have. Please don't assume that I'm homophobic because I believe in God...please.
I know how you feel even though im not religious when ever i tell people that they assume that im some hybrid of Hitler and Satan