Does this site ever give you a headache?

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
I honestly think some people are just too sensitive to be able to post on a forum and have their opinions challenged. Granted, the way some people go about it is rather anal, and they need to step off their soap-box and realize that just because you can refute someone based on personal opinion or experience, that you might just be wrong, or you could be right and the other person might just be trolling, etc. I think people should just pull their panties up, and realize that it doesn't matter what someone on a computer screen says, and if you pick a fight over the internet to prove your superiority, then you have already lost the war.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Whenever a topic involving feminism/abortion comes up, it makes me want to cry and bang my head against the table until my brain can't comprehend the words people are typing anymore.

Not that I could understand them very well in the first place.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Having just visited the Politics and Religion forums, i must say that while not headache inducing, they are rather annoying due to close-minded chimps with keyboards. I honestly try not to let what people say get to me, but when someone begins touting their opinion as the cold hard truth, it manages to start my blood boiling. Its almost sickening to read how deeply embedded some people are in their own fecal matter as it spews from their mouths. I know it may seem like i am being arrogant, and i'm not. I just don't know how someone can simply produce the keyboard vomit that i see on here 40 - 80% of the time and say 'Well, i'm right and you are wrong, so internet rage, rawr'

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Only on the Religion and Politics forum.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, or whatever I promise, I just can't seem to convince people that being a Catholic doesn't automatically make me some Right-Wing conservative nutjob.

Yes I'm a catholic, but I also whole-heartedly support gay marriage, transgenders and really any sexuality preferences you might have. Please don't assume that I'm homophobic because I believe in God...please.
.. You too huh? People assume all Christians are like that- but I am not even close despite being a Christian. To me, I find that some people despise religion because they've seen religious people stand out which were the bad influencing ones if you know what I mean.

The very fact that believing in something automatically makes me (us since this includes you) someone who rejects or denies homosexuals to be human beings. There were times I had to repeat my beliefs and that I was a Christian along so until someone that I knew told me I shouldn't have to address that I was Christian but I believe things differently from the common crowd. Anyhow you're not alone... and it's okay. Let people judge and call you out, it's always nice to keep your cool and be the best you can be! ^_^

Basically anyone who follows organised religion is in for a bashing on internet forums unfortunately... I'm a Muslim, so I get the gay bashing stereotype AND the "you just want to keep women hidden and subdued" stereotype. Much fun.

But I have to say this about the Escapist Forums : even if every now and then you meet a snob, or a flame-baiter, a troll or a git, there are sometimes interesting subjects and at least it's better than a Youtube comments page....

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
jakelly14 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Lem0nade Inlay said:

It seems that no matter how hard I try, or whatever I promise, I just can't seem to convince people that being a Catholic doesn't automatically make me some Right-Wing conservative nutjob.

Yes I'm a catholic, but I also whole-heartedly support gay marriage, transgenders and really any sexuality preferences you might have. Please don't assume that I'm homophobic because I believe in God...please.
.. You too huh? People assume all Christians are like that- but I am not even close despite being a Christian. To me, I find that some people despise religion because they've seen religious people stand out which were the bad influencing ones if you know what I mean.

The very fact that believing in something automatically makes me (us since this includes you) someone who rejects or denies homosexuals to be human beings. There were times I had to repeat my beliefs and that I was a Christian along so until someone that I knew told me I shouldn't have to address that I was Christian but I believe things differently from the common crowd. Anyhow you're not alone... and it's okay. Let people judge and call you out, it's always nice to keep your cool and be the best you can be! ^_^
Its nice to see some other christians on here.....im tired of all the internet hate on religion. i guess its because people who are religious aren't going to post about it and people with non-biased views aren't going to bother mentioning it so all thats left is people hating on it...and it doesnt help that there ARE tons of religious nuts out there.....
Agreed, the religious whack-jobs do make it hard to even remotely say you are a certain denomination. I claim to be Christian/other and it immediately gets me a label of anti-homosexual, and conservative and that i don't swear or other random things. I hate labels like that. I advocate gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender marriage only because i believe that LBGT couples have the right to be married and miserable like everyone else.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Well ever since they made the background white, it makes my eyes hurt sometimes. That's about it, I guess. *Jube away*

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
Whenever a topic involving feminism/abortion comes up, it makes me want to cry and bang my head against the table until my brain can't comprehend the words people are typing anymore.

Not that I could understand them very well in the first place.
Ah, yes. The Escapist and women.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I've previously frequented a forum almost entirely full of delusional, self-entitled, passive-aggressive, spoiled rotten, whiny babies before this one, whose heads were so far up their own asses trying to justify their enjoyment for whatever thing no one but them gives two shits about in an effort to validate themselves as human beings, that said heads actually come out the other end, and not surprisingly, end up smelling a lot like shit. And before you say something to the effect of "So, same thing, different place, eh?", they're generally worse than most things I've seen here.

With that said, I've had a few such people here as well, so adamant about trying to be right that they don't even realize that whatever case they were trying to make to someone they don't even fucking know isn't even the issue anymore. But it's also taught me a valuable thing: not to freaking care. Sometimes it's just not worth reading or replying to someone who's too stubborn to have an actual discussion instead of a pissing match says, and I haven't lost a damn thing as a result. And hell, sometimes I'm currently being too irrational to get along with at the time myself, and thus are doing us both a favor by being the one to shut their maw.

To put it another way, sometimes it just doesn't fricking matter what some joker on the internet says, and when it's got you worked up to the point of being emotionally jarred by it, you need to be doing something else for awhile, plainly and simply.

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
I have an odd relationship with the escapist forums. Almost everything I read fills me with a seething hatred of mankind. But I keep coming back for some reason.
The misantropy of what may or may not be, but certainly feels like the majority of 'escapists' often makes me feel disgusted. The forum leaves me with a sense that selfishness is majority rule. With threads designed so that misinformed people can agree with a misinformed opinion in some kind of selfloathing circle jerk.

Now that I've got that out of the way.

On the topic of people judging you by your religion the discussion about which I'm too lazy to quote, her's my opinion. Being religious gives everyone the right to judge you for it. If you want to associate yourself with something with a reputation, you ought not be suprised when that reputation get's flung at you. You can believe in God and Jesus excetera without tying it to something. As a friend of mine once said when I was giving her a hard time about her christianity, "I believe in God first. I'm a christian second."
It should be God that's important. Not religion.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Some of the things that tend to piss me off on these forums are:

The "I don't like X. Tell me why I should like X." threads.

The "The reasons you like X are wrong and here's why" threads.

The crazy amount of people on their high horses with their misplaced sense of moral superiority. In the words of another poster whose name escapes me: "There's enough high horses on this site to lead a small cavalry charge". I'm inclined to agree.

People who generalise or come to insane conclusions based on nothing but their own misconceptions about a subject. For an example look no further than the Pro-life thread that features this gem: "If you're pro-choice, then you support the murder of unborn children. Plain and simple". Christ....there aren't enough facepalms in the world.

People who hide behind the word "Opinion" as if it's some sort of magical shield that prevents them from being wrong.

But despite all my moaning and all the things that piss me off, I know I'll be back again the next day. I'm hooked o_O.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I'm new here. No headaches yet, even in the R&P forum. But perusing the vast smorgasbord of what passes for "logic" in topics such as "science vs. religion" is a very good way to get one.

Religion. I've accepted, long before I came here, that I'm likely not going to bring anybody to agree with my beliefs. And since part of faith is choosing to accept without proof, I'm not going to yield any ground to what this world throws at me in a vain attempt to prove itself right. So in the immortal words of Patrick Star: "It would seem we have reached an impasse." Plus, with every stereotype and label that flies from your fingertips; with even the ever-so-slightest inclination that you're in it to merely prove yourself right or the other person wrong, the likelihood of me taking you seriously drops by ever-increasing magnitudes. That is not what makes actual discussion.

Politics. I hold a position of "no serious discussion politics on the internet." Because the chances of someone of being a) a qualified voter, b) not having the shortsightedness of labeling all politicians as greedy and/or backstabbing scumbags, and c) holding an open mind to every political viewpoint, is slim to none. Plus, the political scene is like a dry forest. One dropped cigarette and you're cleaning the ashes from the ensuing inferno out of your air filters. For this analogy, Smokey Bear is the forum rules and terms of service.

Let's be honest, we're all here for discussion of teh video gamezz anyway. The Escapist is a gaming journalism site, after all. Alongside other things, of course. So, I'm not going to let the R&P nonsense get in my way.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not anymore, my brain has kinda numbed itself out thoughout the few years I've been here.

This forum is still the most mellow place online though. And while some people around here might be dicks occasionally, atleast they're somewhat clever dicks.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Lem0nade Inlay said:

This is why I generally avoid the religion/politics forum. The religious threads, completely regardless of the actual subject matter of the thread, invariably get filled with a hundred self-important atheist pricks (Oh don't look at me like that, go look yourself, almost every one of them is worded 'As an atheist, I think all religion is stupid') ragging on religion or faith in general.

As someone who has -actually- dealt with the 'dark side' of religion, intolerance, condescending attitudes, the whole kit and kaboodle. I want to grab these kids and slap them, because believing me, throwing dirt in the faces of those who wronged you (And that's ignoring the fact this is an internet forum, so you aren't even insulting the actual people who did), solves absolutely nothing.

And wow.. that kinda turned into a bit of a rant... I'm gonna go watch some some MLP till I calm down.. okay? okay!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Oh yes, yes indeed.

But it's the cynicism and misanthropy that get me the most though. I've grown to more or less accept most things here, but hearing about people constantly "losing faith in humanity" and claiming how humans are all horrible and evil, and most of us should just die (apart from the person making the suggestion of course, obviously they're one of the paragons of humanity and they should live through a mass culling of our species because the world simply needs their wisdom and guidance.) well it still gets on my nerves on occasion.

I haven't seen it lately, so I guess yay for that. But it annoys the living hell out of me whenever I do see it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
erttheking said:
Frankly I may have stumbled into one too many frustrating conversations today and I want to ask you something, have you ever been on the escapist and found yourself wanting to claw your eyes out? With all of the arguments, conflicting opinions and people just being outright insulting and snobby it's bound to happen sooner or later. I mainly wanted to vent a little bit, care to share any stories of frustration with the rest of us?
Pony explosion threads, my xbox can beat up your playstation threads, "why all the hate for X" threads, please do my homework for me threads, objectivist threads, everyone who disagrees with me is dumb threads, my country can beat up your country threads, I have the world figured out threads, anime sensitivity threads, my playstation can beat up your xbox threads, "I will bullshit you in the title of the thread" threads, Nintendo hate threads, "Nostalgia goggles" threads, older people suck threads, younger people suck threads, boys have it worse than girls threads, and general crybaby threads.

In other words: there's too damned many children on here. But I'm here, so I guess I can't complain too much.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Whenever one of those end of gaming/internet as we know it comes along, it seems we have a new one each month. The last one SOPA was at least actually bad but I remember people getting up in arms against free-to-play, the moment you start complaining about getting something for free you should lose all right to complain.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
Smoking threads annoy me. As a smoker and a (reasonably) intelligent human being I find it a bit insulting when some person tells me that because I smoke I am stupid, end of discussion. The fact that I enjoy something and choose to do it as an informed adult seems to be too much for some of the people here.

The other one is when religion is brought up. I'm not religious at all but I don't really care if others are and I'm all for letting them have their own opinion despite what mine may be. Again, the fact that someones opinion differs from their own seems to be too much for some of the people here.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
MY headache stems from none of their videos playing. and Ive followed all the steps in the help guide.