Dogmeat

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ever since the noclip cheat in Unreal clipping has been woefully unapreciated. It's clearly there especially for the anecdotal lulz :p

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Artaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax!!!! I mean, Dogmeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

It's the road of Sadness.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Alright, this is my all time favorite, FAVORITE Critical Miss comic because it's so true it hurts my sides XD

Before anyone asks, I had companions in Skyrim killed not by bandits, giants, werewolves, dragons, or any creature / humanoid ... it was through glitches. I remember having that lost Skyrim Dog (the one you find) follow me around for quite some time. He's usually essential, unable to die unless you attack / kill him so yeah.

Well when I fast traveled to the Throat of the World, apparently my Dog was in midair where Paarthurnax spawns at when you first meet him. Falling from such height instantly killed my dog, such as how Mammoths tend to fall from the sky sometimes for no reason. I was so disappointed in Bethesda, I just deleted my character and told myself never again would I have a Dog companion with me.

So yeah this comic was freaken priceless. Erin's last panel of dialogue was golden cause I can relate LOL.
You know, I've played a lot of Fallout 3 (Had to borrow my friends copy tho >.>) and i never once got Dogmeat for this exact reason.
I just never saw the point in companions until they redid the system in New Vegas so they don't instantly die for no reason.
That and Rex was WAAAAAAAAAAY cooler then Dogmeat and doesn't die to everything nearly as easily!

Cyborgs are always cooler :D

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I never actually found the dog in fallout 3 on my first playthrough, and I didn't bother finding him on subsequent ones because I didn't want to see him die. In new vegas, I considered Ed-e more like my pet, though; also the k-9000 gatling gun. Also, considering new vegas made you kill someone else's cyborg doggie I always felt kind of bad.

It'll be interesting to see if the dog becomes somehow mandatory in the new one.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Bethesda, causing me to feel something? Hah! Bethesda games have interesting stories, but Bethesda seems to have a track record for falling flat on story delivery. I'll be pretty impressed the day they manage to make me feel attached to one of those robotic NPCs.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well it wouldn't be a true Bethesda game unless something clipped through the world. I had one of my companions disappear in Fallout 3. Only found them through warping to their location via console. They had walked to edge of the map, escaped and where just chilling miles away from actual map confines.

Part of me likes to think they got sick of me diving head first into deathclaws and decided to get away from this crazed nutjob for some peace and quiet.
Admittedly it was due partly due to a mod, but I once had Heironymous Lex get knocked completely out of the world, in mid quest. Had to console port to him, walk him as close as I could to a road, then fast-travel. It was enough to knock him back into the normal map. Needless to say, I disable that mod any time I run the Thieves guild quests now.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Oddly, I never even saw Dogmeat in my first three Fallout 3 playthroughs. I'd heard about him when looking up things when I was trying to find the fucking vampire lair, but couldn't be bothered to actually go look until around the middle of my fourth character, with whom I just wanted to be sure I'd seen all the content.

I don't even remember longer than a few dialogue choices being offered before he fades from my memory, so for all I know, I shot his head off for giggles the moment I left the scrap yard.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Just finished playing Fallout 1. Dogmeat ran off and attacked 3 enemies and by time i caught up with him he was dead. I really they would let me control his movements.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I just wish companions like Dogmeat actually had some effort put into getting the player attached to them. As it is, I could care less that they die or anything the vast majority of the time because they are so flat and uninteresting with nothing much to do with them besides recruit them and are either too weak to be useful or so freaking overpowered they can pretty much play the game for you. In fact, it's true of companions in general are rather dull most of the time and are completely pointless for stealth characters because they ALWAYS give your position away no matter how sneaky they are supposed to be themselves.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Lightknight said:
No lie, I've never used a single companion in any Bethesda games for this reason.
And I never use companions in Bethesda games beacause all they do is get in the way.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Guess I'm the only one who got Dogmeat and then just had him chill around my house. I ain't risking my dog companion!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Bethesda, causing me to feel something? Hah! Bethesda games have interesting stories, but Bethesda seems to have a track record for falling flat on story delivery. I'll be pretty impressed the day they manage to make me feel attached to one of those robotic NPCs.
Nonono, Bethesda are really, REALLY good at eliciting one emotion, and one in particular, Terror.

I refer, of course, to the dead, souless gaze of their NPC's who cheerily look like they are about to gut you and wear your skin as a cloak... Don't believe me?

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
He'll run into a forcefield at a military base like an idiot and get killed.

I've played Fallout 1 around half a dozen times and I've never had any of my companions survive to the end, ever. Now Ian I don't really care about because he always shoots me in the back so screw him but Dogmeat? It breaks my heart everytime.

"It was there that I came across a dog, who adopted me and was my faithful friend from there on. I miss Dogmeat to this day." - The Vault Dweller.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Heck, buying F3's Broken Steel made him essentially invincible by later levels. A convenient bug/oversight made him level up with you so long as you had the DLC installed when you first acquired him. I've seen level 30 Dogmeat take on a Behemoth and win...
There was one time Dogmeat was chewing on the leg of an Enclave Trooper and I hit them both with a mini-nuke. I was searching for pieces of the trooper for the next 5 minutes. Dogmeat had barely a scratch.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
hittite said:
The_Darkness said:
Heck, buying F3's Broken Steel made him essentially invincible by later levels. A convenient bug/oversight made him level up with you so long as you had the DLC installed when you first acquired him. I've seen level 30 Dogmeat take on a Behemoth and win...
There was one time Dogmeat was chewing on the leg of an Enclave Trooper and I hit them both with a mini-nuke. I was searching for pieces of the trooper for the next 5 minutes. Dogmeat had barely a scratch.
I bought the GOTY edition and so have never experienced a Dogmeat that can be killed. The first thing I do after visiting Megaton is go pick him up. And, yeah, I've seen him take on Behemoths, Feral Ghoul Reavers, missile launchers, etc. and be just fine.

OT: Great comic this week. This is a sentiment I can relate to concerning Bethesda games.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I save every few minutes thanks to the possibility of a dead companion. They even died in New Vegas at times.