Don't Expect Friendly Dragons in Skyrim, Says Bethesda

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
A mod to ride dragons? Boring.

I'm waiting for Skyrim's version of Martigen's Monster Mod, so we'll have flocks of dragons fighting off rampaging hordes of giants.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Fawxy said:
Weslebear said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"This is how to kill a whole bunch of very mean things that have come to kill and hurt people ... Might there be exceptions and nuances to that? Possibly. I wouldn't want to say anything beyond that.
Has no one noticed this? It's already been heavily hinted, in fact possibly stated, that there is a actually one dragon that whilst not friendly isn't just hostile and I think you may converse with and I'm pretty sure is very story relevant.

I think they are specifically saying no FRIENDLY dragons just so they can still slip in the story twist of a dragon you can actually speak with but that is definitely not on your side and to make most think otherwise so it will be more of a twist.
NON-HOSTILE DRAGONS IN A GAME ABOUT KILLING DRAGONS??

EDIT: Has anyone ever read "Grendel" by John Gardner? If there were any dragons in Skyrim like the one in "Grendel", that would be freaking amazing.
Haha, I never did say it was a good twist. It's a ridiculously obvious move to make, I just hope if they do pull that one, you have the option to piss it off and have a good fight. I shall not rest till every dragon is slain.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Druyn said:
Deshin said:
I love how they're talking about a random number generator like it's a revolutionary new feature that'll change video games forever. I still plan on picking up Skyrim, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm really starting to get sick of all this industry bull they keep spoonfeeding us as if we're a bunch of retarded chimps.
I think its a pretty awesome idea, and I think it is really new. I'll still be excited for this feature unless you can show me a single other good game that does the same thing.
Seriously? A single other good game that does random encounters? Your avatar is from Fallout so mind if I take the easy road and use that? Ya know when you're walking along through the wastelands and all of a sudden a random enemy NPC pops up and attacks you? That's what that is.

Hell, every previous Elder Scrolls has done that too. Remember walking along in Oblivion and being randomly held up by a highwayman? That's a random number generator at play. You're being hyped and excited for a feature that exists in practically any open world game made since the 80s, congrats.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
One or two will do thanks. An over abundance of benevolent lizards will just become a stale overused trope within the game. I'd like to converse with one, preferably an evil but affable one.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I'm fine with this.... So long as they still give me the option to slap a muzzle on one, make it my *****, and ride it around like a champ... If not, well, thank the divines for the modding community. I guarantee, that if there are not ridable dragons in the game, someone will release a mod for it within a week of the game being released.

Spiritofpower

Aug 29, 2011
So I'll have to flex my modding muscles, who cares? I'll still be able to kill the hell outta the bad ones and enslave tame the rest.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Deshin said:
Druyn said:
Deshin said:
I love how they're talking about a random number generator like it's a revolutionary new feature that'll change video games forever. I still plan on picking up Skyrim, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm really starting to get sick of all this industry bull they keep spoonfeeding us as if we're a bunch of retarded chimps.
I think its a pretty awesome idea, and I think it is really new. I'll still be excited for this feature unless you can show me a single other good game that does the same thing.
Seriously? A single other good game that does random encounters? Your avatar is from Fallout so mind if I take the easy road and use that? Ya know when you're walking along through the wastelands and all of a sudden a random enemy NPC pops up and attacks you? That's what that is.

Hell, every previous Elder Scrolls has done that too. Remember walking along in Oblivion and being randomly held up by a highwayman? That's a random number generator at play. You're being hyped and excited for a feature that exists in practically any open world game made since the 80s, congrats.
I think you may be misunderstanding the whole concept just a little bit. It isn't about random encounters, we already know those exist because that was one of the early dragon announcements. Its the idea that unlike in Fallout, or other Oblivion games, if you walk around, you won't find the same enemies in the same place all the time. In New Vegad, yes, there were random encounters, but if you walk around near Bitter Springs, you find Fire Geckos and Cazadors. Is you follow the road north of Goodsprings, you found more cazadores. If you walk around near McCarran you get Fiends. And you can guess exactly how much you can find where because its just them respawning. I think this is them changing that. Think of it like making every encounter a random encounter, and set encounters the exception instead of the rule. Throw that in with the new Radiant and you could have a pretty different game for a lot of different people.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Remember when even young dragons used to be be huge boss fights that took lots of planning, strategy, and sheer numbers to beat?

When did it come down to one man cutting them down like child's play?

I weep for how far the dragon has fallen.

At least I still have D&D, where I can convince even the evil dragons to aide me if its in their best interest as well.

Edit:

InterAirplay said:
orgy everywhere!
I'd buy that game.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I thought that they also announced that there would be a late-game dragon shout that summons an ally dragon that flies down and helps you out.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
InterAirplay said:
Akatosh isn't a dull character, he's alternately and ally and an enemy, fitting with the TES tradition of having gods be alternately antagonistic/helpful. This time around, he's just trying to do what he always does, and will probably start complaining to the management or whoever gods complain to when he realises that the humans now have the ability to resist him thanks to the dragonborn.
I agree with you that Akatosh isn't dull, but Akatosh isn't trying to destroy the world. Alduin is, and he is a completely independent aspect of the God of Time. His counterpart Akatosh is the one who preserves Nirn rather than destroy. There's also Auriel, who is probably cheering on Alduin from the sidelines and and some other cultural versions.

There are also Red Dragons, who AREN'T Aduin's harbingers of doom, but they're few in number and nearly extinct, kept alive by the Empire in exchange for their past services.
I've never seen any evidence of color coding.

In fact, an entire empire was built around worship of Akatosh and the crafty bastard even popped up at the end of Oblivion to sort shit out personally, so it won't be surprising if there's loyalists trying to support him.
Once again, no craftiness. I'll bet you anything that Akatosh is going to be right there with you against Alduin. How the heck could you be Dragonborn otherwise? Akatosh is the (a) Dragon God of Time as well, and he's the one that favors you.

Anyways, Todd announced a dragon ally in the game.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
InterAirplay said:
The dragons in Skyrim serving Aduin are apparently a different kind known as Jills, Black Dragons, totally seperate from the ones revered and served by the Empire.
Jills were heretofore known as servants of the Time God. 'Minute-menders.'

I also heard that Aduin and Akatosh are one and the same, and that the difference is merely in the nomeclature. The whole reason he's doing "evil" shit now, apparently, is because the nature of his existence demands it. Taken from the Elder scrolls Wiki.
Please don't take anything from the UESP. I once edited their lore articles extensively and gave up in despair.

Christ, Elder Scrolls lore is a headache. I like how a lot of it is deliberately kept hazy to allow room for interpretation, but it makes any kind of consensus impossible.
The lore is (often) written as literature. Just because it is ambiguous or indirect doesn't mean the author's intent cannot be correctly interpreted through critical thinking. Rest assured, if it turns out that Akatosh has 'changed sides,' it will be a major retcon and the plot will make no sense. Of course, that's exactly what happened in Oblivion.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
well, damn.. thanks Bethesda you put an awesome idea into our heads and then steal it away immediately

well.. who DOsent want a tameable dragon perched on the roof of your player housing with a saddle that nudges you with it's cute little scaly head and look at you with those huge cute eyes when you approach it now?
way to go ruin it for us

i Nnnnneeeeeedddd an Dragon aerie expansion for my house now need!!!

ah well, the modders will fix that in short order i suppose.

InterAirplay said:
captaincabbage said:
See, this is how they lull you into a false sense of knowing what's up and down, so you expect it least when you eventually come across a friendly dragon in-game!

Just like in Fallout 3! They were all like "Urgh, trees don't exist. Trees don't talk." Then BAM! Oasis out of fucking nowhere!!
I'd buy more games if dev teams asked you for advice.

'Nope, we won't allow the player to have sex with random NPC's'
'Nah man, not at first. But then when they start the game, make it so that it's like BAM! elf orgy everywhere! that'll liven things up a bit.'
'Please leave our development studio before I have to call security.'
all game, you have a mini-game to collect items for your 'zen garden' fine grained sand.. jagged rocks.. pebbles, flat rocks.. cacti .. sticks, coils of rope.. only to realize at the end of the game what you've actually been building is a sex dungeon you can take your chosen partner to and the cactus you carried 500 miles from one end of the world suddenly has more than aesthetic purposes.

i like this logic, let's have more of it.
it reminds me of the madness realm in oblivion, that door really spiced up the rest of the game it was exactly what it needed.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
At least one morally neutral dragon character would have been nice, just because it's hard to believe that dragons with enough intelligence to talk would all be innately evil, still its not a deal breaker for me.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
InterAirplay said:
Isn't it ENTIRELY possible that Akatosh would do shit like this without changing sides? sure, he helped out Martin, but only by letting Martin use his power to fend of Mehrunes Dagon.

He's the bloody god of time, he preserves the world then smashes it apart when it's time to re-build. It makes sense that there are people out there who exist to help him preserve it (the dragonborns) because of those meddling bastards who keep trying to screw with Nirn, but having him deliver on the other side of the whole "god of time" thing isn't too much of a retcon, is it?
Yes, if you approach the issue with new eyes and no context, it makes perfect sense for Akatosh to be a crafty bastard who's double-crossing the world. But take the following quote at face value:

Alduin is the Nordic variation of Akatosh, and only superficially resembles his counterpart in the Eight Divines. For example, Alduin's sobriquet, 'the world eater', comes from myths that depict him as the horrible, ravaging firestorm that destroyed the last world to begin this one. Nords therefore see the god of time as both creator and harbinger of the apocalypse. He is not the chief of the Nordic pantheon (in fact, that pantheon has no chief; see Shor, below) but its wellspring, albeit a grim and frightening one.

As for the lore thing, please, for the love of god, can you give me some kind of definitive sources? I'm not using the UESP, I'm using the actual Elder Scrolls Wiki. There's two sites now, honest.
Oh, geez. UESP has ten years of exhaustive work behind it and will never be trustworthy with lore. I can only imagine what the new one must be like.

And sources, sources, sources. I learned all this stuff way too long ago. Mind if I just post some old comments of mine, with some sources attached?

For starters, you have to understand that the Anuic gods, or Aedra or Divines, are not inviolable spirits. They are creator deities, yes, but Creation was a long time ago, and they have changed since. Read the following quote and book to get a handle on how it works.

Shezarr, as a result, had to change. He could no longer be the bloodthirsty anti-Aldmer warlord of old. He could not disappear altogether either, or the Nords would have withdrawn their support of her rule. In the end, he had become "the spirit behind all human undertaking." Even though this was merely a thinly-disguised, watered-down version of Shor, it was good enough for the Nords.
-Shezarr and the Divines

Shezarr, by the way, is the Cyrodilic formulation of Lorkhan, of Morrowind fame. He stems from the bloodthirsty mer-killing champion by the name of Shor, who is worshiped in Skyrim. You have to wrap your head around the idea that Shor is a separate entity from the scarab deity who is all about love and transcendence that Vivec writes about. That's because certain Gods actually change according to mortal belief. It's sort of feedback loop, and with multiple mortal conceptions, there arise multiple versions of the same being. They exist simultaneously and are quite capable of acting in direct opposition to each other.

We can describe the sacrifice of the eight et'Ada spirits in creating the world as deaths. They gave up part of themselves, and their immortality with it. What does this mean, functionally speaking?

They became, for all intents and purposes, dead planets stuck in Nirn's orbit. The original eight 'died,' by losing their power and identities. But their mortal descendents re-constituted them based on their memories of the Dawn Era's struggles. Since the elves and humans had different experiences, they remembered different deities. Different deities were therefore constructed from their opposing beliefs, and they are all very, very real.

Auriel wants to escape the mortal world, as per Aldmeri belief. Alduin wants to destroy it. Akatosh wants to preserve it, and not just as some stalling tactic so he can pull off his own escapist coup. He is a being that has been completely reinvented by mortals, and should be viewed as separate from Auriel and Alduin, and completely separate from the original spirit whose corpse floats in the sky as a planet.

Alduin is a renewer deity who causes beginnings by bringing about the end. He reflects Skyrim's cyclical conception of time (which their southern cousins do not apparently share) and their dread of time's ravages on mortal works. And really, he is just Auriel as imagined by a hostile Nord. But Auriel still isn't a dragon, and has a mind of his own. Basically, we are dealing with an exclusively Nordic view of the apocalypse.

Akatosh is a statist deity who reflects Cyrodiil's confidence and self regard. He fortifies Nirn just as he fortifies the Empire. He is really almost Alduin's antithesis, forged as he was from an awkward compromise of pantheons. Maybe that's why he's insane. In any case, he's not plotting on behalf of his dragon twin. He doesn't share Alduin's goals and is incapable of acting in concert with his alter-ego.

So I would recommend looking up each god on imperial-library.info and try to see where the texts hint at this. Creation myths should always be your first stop for any of the larger concepts as well.