Don't Film These Games!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Don't Film These Games!

These are the videogame movies MovieBob really, really doesn't want to see.

Read Full Article

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
I like how any psychotic murderers and gore is called Saw related when Se7en came out in the 90s.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Puddle Jumper said:
I'm sorry, bob, I normally like your movie stuff but once you delve in to the gaming world ... Even if it is movie related, ... no.
Have you see his series...

The Game Overthinker?

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/

God. I wish he'd update that more often...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Who wants to take odds on what games he's going to list as "DO film" next week?

1. Metroid
2. Zelda
3. BioShock
4. Ninja Gaiden

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I'd add Zelda to that list.
A Zelda movie would never work. The games usually have a fairly basic story, the strong point of the games is putting you in the role so well, all the fantastic locations and things to do, great weapons and the excellent dungeon design. That's all gone so you're left with a basic save the princess plot from a character who has contractual immortalitly. The framework works in the games, but it'd translate horribly being the primary focus. Plus, link being voice acted: Ewh...

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I will take it in step farther
No video game should be made into a movie
I have hated over 90% of every Video game based movies I have seen
the only 2 I liked are the 1st Mortal Kombat (because I was a little kid when I saw it)
and Silent Hill (not anymore after playing the games)

Video game movies suck hands down

Squaseghost

Jan 25, 2010
Batsamaritan said:
Good article aside from the traditional halo bashing... it's actually getting a bit boring bob, sure the games 2 onwards are WAY too short but thats always been my only real complaint,

some omissions from your list... major one would be half-life... tempting to hollywood i'm sure but i hope to god it never happens...

hey at least we won't get rapelay live action!
More or less my thoughts exactly, Why do you have to hate on Halo's community so much? Enjoying a simple game and enjoying sophistication are not mutually exclusive, much less in two different media!!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
MovieBob said:
P.S. Yes, I've seen that Mortal Kombat Rebirth thing, and I think it looks like ass. Yeah, the MK franchise could use some improvement. Y'know what improvement doesn't look like? A Saw knockoff.
Oh no you did not just call one of the most epic looking 9 minutes on Youtube bad! Nuh-uh, I think most of us will agree that was pure awesomeness in a sandwich.

Calumon: Lizards with Human Heads!

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Shame about your views on Halo, though I am glad you at least recognise the possibility of making it into a movie if you add or subtract certain elements. As a Halo fan, it might irk me, but I'm open to change if it gets something Halo related on the big screen. Nonetheless, Jackson and Blomkamp must have thought there was potential if they were planning to helm a film themselves, that must count for something right.

Regardless a Halo movie is getting made one way or another, Frankie O'Connell said as much, we just don't know what form its going to take.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Squaseghost said:
Batsamaritan said:
Good article aside from the traditional halo bashing... it's actually getting a bit boring bob, sure the games 2 onwards are WAY too short but thats always been my only real complaint,

some omissions from your list... major one would be half-life... tempting to hollywood i'm sure but i hope to god it never happens...

More or less my thoughts exactly, Why do you have to hate on Halo's community so much? Enjoying a simple game and enjoying sophistication are not mutually exclusive, much less in two different media!!
I dont see where he bashed Halo. He bashed the idea of a Halo movie, and it was in DEFENCE of teh fans, saying that such a movie would ruin Halo. Otherwise it just suggests Halo fans are suckers for anything with Halo attached.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Batsamaritan said:

I don't think he was bashing all of the Halo series, rather only the storyline and characters, and he's right, how boring would Masterchief be in a movie?

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
YodaUnleashed said:
Shame about your views on Halo, though I am glad you at least recognise the possibility of making it into a movie if you add or subtract certain elements. As a Halo fan, it might irk me, but I'm open to change if it gets something Halo related on the big screen. Nonetheless, Jackson and Blomkamp must have thought there was potential if they were planning to helm a film themselves, that must count for something right.

Regardless a Halo movie is getting made one way or another, Frankie O'Connell said as much, we just don't know what form its going to take.
So....you are saying you are a sucker for anything with Halo attached? (see my other post)

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
YodaUnleashed said:

When I heard Jackson was part of it I had hope. So much hope. When that project was scrapped I lost any hope for a good adaptation.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I want them to do a Sims film!

Just because I wanna see how they go about it (I'm aware of the script in development hell, I think the plot in THAT is the best I've heard so far. It could be quite a brilliant comedy)

The script in Dev. Hell says that a group of friends who create themselves for a laugh on the Sims suddenly realise that everything that happens to their Sim-selves happens to them in real life a little bit later

If done right, it could be hilarious, with people trying to artificially instigate a relationship with the hot girl, someone else trying cheats, someone breaking into their mate's house at night to try and play the game etc.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Sylocat said:
Who wants to take odds on what games he's going to list as "DO film" next week?

1. Metroid
2. Zelda
3. BioShock
4. Ninja Gaiden
5. Assassins Creed ... I'd like to see that.