Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hoov said:
Christ get over yourself Sir John. Does it really bother you so much that people don't share your opinion of a fictional character.

I love FFVII, but are you really that sensitive to any criticism of her. How about quoting lines of her lines of dialogue and explaining why you think there so brilliant.
Actually, that a good point. Have you actually given any reasons why she isn't a bad character?

*Edit*

Also, as to why if I didnt like FF7, do I argue about this, I like conflict... it amuses me...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I think I will stop calling myself a gamer, if only to stop associating myself with the people who actually give a shit if her name is Aeris or Aerith as if it fucking mattered to anything in life.

Actually it reminds me though, that image on the first page of all the different type of "gamerfags", it doesn't have the "Japanesefag" where if you use the localized names for things like "Mega Man" they flip the hell out on you because god dammit his name is "Rock Man" and nothing else!

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot. Hope you have a fun vacation Yahtzee.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
It's 'aerith' (requisite comment)

and I like my 'girl gamer' tag! I guess I just didn't ever really stereotype gamers into the 'sweaty manchildren' area. Only those people who are actually insecure enough to scream at me over the mic about their awesomeness fall into that category :p

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I'm starting to like his articals more than his weekly reviews. Also I will stop using the term gamer, all though I've only used it here on the escapist but still progress is progress.

Tom Roberts

Mar 1, 2010
Is it wrong that I'm still bothered by the fact that when people say 'gamer' now they're talking about Halo or Starcraft or DragonAge and NOT about Champions or Traveller or D&D?

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer" well fuck, huh?
Have fun editing these.

Dave Brohman

Apr 7, 2010
I'm in full agreement with Yahtzee on this one. When playing video games was a niche hobby, being a "gamer" really was something odd and unusual. That time is past now, and gaming has long since become a regular fixture of modern life. It's time to drop this archaic term and its accompanying stereotypes. Then we can all be united in hating all the Final Fantasy nerds together.

Oh, and the only thing worse than those calling themselves "Girl Gamers" are those who call themselves a "Grrrl Gamers". /shudder

kyleesha

Jan 26, 2010
So I want to mostly comment to the last portion of the article where he talks about the success of mana bar. As a chef and indeed some one who enjoys playing games. I wont use the term gamer because while A) I enjoy games, I dont have the time to play them all that much my career doesn't allow for it, let alone my family of two boys and more. and B) If I were to use it I should get slapped after his statements. I think that expansions of the concept are brilliant. However I do think that it is hard to get past the stigma of "Gamer" bar, just due to the nature of who is the loudest most obvious stereotype of the gaming culture. It isn't the 9 - 5 30 something well put together social crowd who wants to go out, get a drink mid week and kill some people with their mates, the stereotype is either the uber (insert umlaut here) nerdy WoW crowd who shuns light and social interaction for grinding away at murlocks for hours on end (prepare for incoming flames) or the jocked out Madden every year for the new roster crowd. There is no mid line for what people view as it. And it is hard to see as a hip crowd to be around, let alone go and have a few beers and perhaps meet some one.

With that in mind. Being in the industry of serving people food and drink every night of my life I wish you the best of luck. To hear that the place is so damn successful that you are already able to think about opening up another is fantastic. Keep it up and know that the first time I hear of Mana Bar opening up in Colorado I will be there on opening night.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Sir John the Net Knight said:
I.E.: She's a bad character because you paid no attention to her? That's hardly a convincing argument. Sound like more of a failing on your part then anyone else's.
Why there should be a reason for personal taste? I don't like her for instance, but I have no reason for it, I just don't. Those who likes her, well, good for them, they do, and that's it.
Let's look for something new to hate together, shall we? We may agree in the next subject =)

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
hoov said:
Christ get over yourself Sir John. Does it really bother you so much that people don't share your opinion of a fictional character.

I love FFVII, but are you really that sensitive to any criticism of her. How about quoting lines of her lines of dialogue and explaining why you think there so brilliant.
I don't care if people don't like her. Just don't shove it in my face. Only that's impossible now that Trilby the Wonder Seal has barked on the subject. Every fanboy will be throwing him fish on it now. And I don't feel any need to explain my position until someone gives me good evidence that she's a bad character and in 13 years not one person has succeeded in this.
So why should anybody else have to explain why they don't like her, if you don't feel the need to explain why you do?

Nobody's shoving your face in it, "flaky bint" was just a throwaway comment that was intended to be humorous and it's made all the funnier because of people who react in the way that you do.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I don't call myself a gamer because I wear it like a badge of honour, or because I feel repressed. I call myself that because I hate football and don't like playing music as a hobby, the only other two normal past-times in england. Video games are the only thing I do along with watching TV and movies besides just going out and chilling with friends in a pub. It's the only thing that distinguishes me from a totally bland individual with absolutely no interests.

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
Dear Sir John... why are you even bothering?

Before the mods put me on probation, I already gave a comment on Yahtzee's article earlier. I just want this annoying argument to end so we can go back to the article at hand.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Dr. Wily III said:
"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer" well fuck, huh?
Have fun editing these.
Congratulations, you made me laugh about as hard as I laughed at the funny bits of this article. Good show!

ZRShinigami

Jun 30, 2010
Or a sweaty, fat, neckbearded manchild weeping over their Aeris body pillows (or is it Aerith? I can never remember).
I take offense to that comment. I DO NOT OWN A BODY PILLOW!

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
It is nice of someone to say this. 'Gamer' is an awful word. I play games, but I hate people co-opting that as some kind of identity. I'm a human.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
hoov said:

I don't care if people don't like her. Just don't shove it in my face. Only that's impossible now that Trilby the Wonder Seal has barked on the subject. Every fanboy will be throwing him fish on it now. And I don't feel any need to explain my position until someone gives me good evidence that she's a bad character and in 13 years not one person has succeeded in this.
Sorry, but nobody shoves something into your face on the internet. You didn't had to read the post.
But it would really strengthen your position in front of the people who haven't played Final Fantasy if you explained why you like her that much.
(I know it kind of breaks my former point of not arguing about taste)
P.S. Trilby the wonderseal sounds like a good name for trash punk band

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well then, you must really hate that one particularly titled movie.

Seeing as gaming is still seen as somewhat of a sub-culture, you can't blame it's residents for calling themselves gamers.

I never really use the word since I'm Dutch. I don't play games, I play videospellen.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
GoodShrapnel said:
Thank you Yahtzee. Gaming pride, like gay pride, (I'm being serious here) is extremely annoying. This link is relevant, just replace every instance of "Gay" with "Gamer/Gaming."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/
ROFL that was hilarious !