Don't Watch The New STALKER Trailer With the Lights Off

Cheesezorz

Jun 14, 2009
If you're actually the one playing it I believe it'll be much creepier (especially without that music, I agree that it did not fit into the trailer at all).

Anyone remember the Red Forest in Clear Sky? Especially at night-time it was creepy with all the bloodsuckers around.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Cheesezorz said:
Anyone remember the Red Forest in Clear Sky? Especially at night-time it was creepy with all the bloodsuckers around.
It actually reminded me of an interesting experience I had with one of the more popular Mods enabled (exactly which one escapes me at the moment). I'd infiltrated the bandit hideout in Dark Valley at sunset with the purpose of eliminating Borov, using silenced weapons to minimize enemy response. With the perimeter mostly cleared, including the main entrance, I'd prepared to scout the main buildings- but then a pack of blind dogs happened upon the entrance and, finding no resistance, entered the complex. Not wanting to risk a firefight, and hoping that the dogs' presence might draw out any guards I'd missed, I retreated to the far corner of the complex and climbed one of the guard towers.

And then it began to rain. Hard. A violent thunderstorm, in fact. I could hear shouts of alarm from the guards, but no gunfire, so I figured them to be all inside the buildings. But as I began to leave the guard tower to head inside, I heard something snarling. With the Mod enabled I knew it could be a snork or even a bloodsucker wandering the perimeter, and with my Gen-1 nightvision and the pouring rain, I knew anything hostile would have a significant advantage over me- so I ended up spending the rain-soaked night waiting in that guard tower, alternating between scanning the buildings for possible targets, and watching the ground for glimpses of whatever might be wandering around. The rainstorm finally broke at dawn, and I headed inside.

Now, if Call of Pripyat can replicate that sort of experience, I'll plunk down the cash for it without a second thought. But that trailer doesn't do much for me.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I'm excited. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games kick ass! Never have I seen a creepier, more immersive game world. Plus, the concept itself does a good job of blending fact and fiction. I love it! Although I gotta admit, that trailer was kinda lame.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Elementlmage said:
esperandote said:
submachine gun=not scary
............................................______ __.....
....................................,.-'"......... ..........``~,
.............................,.-"................. .................."-.,
.........................,/....................... .......................":,
.....................,?........................... ..........................,
.................../.............................. ...........................,}
................./................................ ...................,:`^`.}
.............../.................................. ................,:"......../
..............?.....__............................ .............:`........./
............./__.(....."~-,_...................... ........,:`........./
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_................ ....,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~- ,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`.... /"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`.................... ....(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-......................... ............
.............`~.*-,.............................. .......|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._.............................. .....|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,............................ .............................
...................`=~-,,.,...................... ..................................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,......... ..........,%`>--==``
........................................_........ ..._,-%.......`
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``.. ..............`

The AKS-74u is not a submachine gun, it is an assault rifle. I swear to God I am going to kill the guys at Infinity Ward...

Anyway, on the subject of Stalker; I can't wait for this game. I enjoyed the previous two immensely (over 600 hours of game time) and cant wait to log another couple hundred on this one. It will be great to see how many things they have fixed and how much they have learned from making the previous two.
alright mr. armory correct speaking, that doesn change my point that assault rifles and machine guns constitute shooting games not survivial horror games.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
That...wasn't scary

Good trailer though, lot of build-up, though the combat part lacked a little...tension

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
I found the poltergeist in the original stalker to just be pissing off rather than frightening, it kept goddamn killing me.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
*Step*
*Step*
*Step*
*Turns round*
"ROAR!"

More funny than scary, still, looks like the game could get a few jumps out of me.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Rhayn said:
After readin this thread, I'm intrigued. I'll see if I can get a hold of Shadow of Chernobyl.

Chances are I'll play it once, get really scared and not touch it again.
It's worth the play. But a few things you should take note of before you do:

1) Patches. The vanilla game is horribly buggy, so get the latest one before you play it.

2) Oblivion Lost. It's a mod that, in my opinion, is better than the game it was released for. It improves the gameplay immensely.

3) If you can't find it, it's on Steam.

Hope that helps.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Rhayn said:
After readin this thread, I'm intrigued. I'll see if I can get a hold of Shadow of Chernobyl.

1) Patches. The vanilla game is horribly buggy, so get the latest one before you play it.

2) Oblivion Lost. It's a mod that, in my opinion, is better than the game it was released for. It improves the gameplay immensely.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, thanks, I appreciate that.

I'll see if I can find a copy of it, but in case I don't, is it possible to install the mod for the steam version?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Rhayn said:
Lord Krunk said:
Rhayn said:

Hope that helps.
Yeah, thanks, I appreciate that.

I'll see if I can find a copy of it, but in case I don't, is it possible to install the mod for the steam version?
I'm not too sure, actually. The Steam subforum for the game should hold the answer.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I've wated to play STALKER for a while, but I'm sure my PC can handle it, and I was never sure if I waned to deal with all the bugs that are reported to be in the games.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Yeeeaaah, this is one of those cases "Get that new computer now". I really need to get rid of this broken laptop, get me a desktop.

Also, what are the odds that this will be as buggy as the last two.
Very, VERY high.
I've played it it's not buggy at all during 2 play throughs had one crash to desk and one 2 minute freeze, and the over all play time was abourt 30 something hours so stalker has improved, a lot.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Dark Prophet said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Yeeeaaah, this is one of those cases "Get that new computer now". I really need to get rid of this broken laptop, get me a desktop.

Also, what are the odds that this will be as buggy as the last two.
Very, VERY high.
I've played it it's not buggy at all during 2 play throughs had one crash to desk and one 2 minute freeze, and the over all play time was abourt 30 something hours so stalker has improved, a lot.
That's good news. Very good news...