Doom 4 in trouble, ID could be closed

Fraggy1

Jun 27, 2012
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a470276/doom-4-recently-rebooted-by-id-software-rage-2-scrapped-by-zenimax.html

Doom 4 has seen a troubled development while RAGE 2 has been cancelled, according to a report.

The long-awaited Doom sequel, which was first announced five years ago in 2007, was was rebooted in late 2011 after three years in development.

"An earlier version of Doom 4 did not exhibit the quality and excitement that id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect," a Bethesda spokesperson told Kotaku.

"As a result, id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the very high expectations everyone has for this game and this franchise.

"When we're ready to talk about the Doom 4 id is making, we will let folks know."

Sources have told Kotaku that years of mismanagement and a lack of communication had left developer id Software and Bethesda's parent company Zenimax frustrated by the game's progress.

Intended to be a reworking of Doom 2 - similar to how Doom 3 was inspired heavily by the original Doom - the project soon became highly cinematic and scripted in nature, being given the nickname 'Call of Doom' by developers.

Staff familiar with the project said it featured "pointless and contrived shooting galleries" and "obligatory" vehicle sequences.

As RAGE finished development in late 2011, id Software switched focus to Doom 4, which had been neglected in previous years.

"I kinda think maybe the studio heads were so distracted on shipping RAGE that they were blind to the happenings of Doom, and the black hole of mediocrity [the team] was swirling around," said one source.

Another said: "[Studio leadership was] coming over and looking at Doom 4, and it was like, 'Now that I'm actually looking at this after ignoring it for three years, I see a ton of things I want to change'."

Around the same time, RAGE 2 was in the planning stages, but Zenimax executives soon intervened, cancelling the project and downsizing DLC for the original game.

In 2012, id Software saw a renewed focus, cancelling other projects and getting everyone to work on Doom 4, with Zenimax executives saying the project "can and should be as big as Skyrim" in sales and cultural impact.

While morale for the project - which saw a new focus creatively and technically - was initially high, it had soon degenerated into a "power struggle" between multiple teams and cultures within id Software over its direction.

The reboot's story was "unfit for a late night sci-fi channel", said one source, while others said several "top" developers had left or were let go from the company.

Sources said that Zenimax gave id Software the ultimatum of finishing the project "or else". While one said that closure of the developer was an option, others said that was unlikely.

The rebooted Doom 4 project is reported to still be in development for next-generation systems with no release date, but one source was optimistic about its future.

"They'll keep Doom 4 going. They really believe that if they can get the internal strife and disorganisation ironed out, Doom 4 has a lot of value," they said.
When you've spent probably upwards of $70 million on a developer and several years later are yet to see a significant return on that investment I can understand considering the nuclear option. I hope Doom 4 sees the light of day but this could turn into another DNF/Prey 1&2 situation.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
That's a shame, id is my favorite developer. Appears that Zenimax was also why we barely got any DLC for RAGE, too. I have no idea what is going on, but this whole thing is making Zenimax look like a bunch of douches.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Lucasarts was [a href="http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow"]closed today[/a] too. What the fuck is happening!
Also, really pissed at Disney now...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm conflicted. "Call of Doom" sounds awful and I'm glad that's been knocked on the head. On the other hand I really want to see a good next-gen Doom, though I'm not sure if the things I love about the originals - giant levels, tons of enemies, freedom to explore - could be replicated with modern visuals without it making my pc explode.

There's really no FPS I can think of that delivers a real Doom-like experience. Serious Sam gets mentioned a lot but that's really all about circle strafing waves of enemies in an arena-like environment, as was Painkiller. Not really the same thing.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
mitchell271 said:
Lucasarts was [a href="http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow"]closed today[/a] too. What the fuck is happening!
Also, really pissed at Disney now...

Its called high rates of unemployment amongst the under 25s. Normally the under 25s have fairly high disposable incomes, however the rates of under 25s unemployment is over 50% in parts of the eurozone. Plus incomes have been squeezed by below inflation pay rises for the last 5 years or so. People can't afford to buy as many games per year as they once did.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Assassin Xaero said:
That's a shame, id is my favorite developer. Appears that Zenimax was also why we barely got any DLC for RAGE, too. I have no idea what is going on, but this whole thing is making Zenimax look like a bunch of douches.
I think the issue here is that for some reason id didn't put their top guys on Doom 4, and decided to make it a B-team project. This is the game series that practically invented the FPS genre. That shouldn't be the sort of series you pass over to the interns while you focus on your sorta-Fallout knock off instead. I'm not surprised development wasn't doing too well if they passed it onto the interns to focus on.
RAGE was announced back in 2007, who knows when it started. Doom 4 was announced a year later. What I heard was that they had them finish up RAGE then shifted everyone to Doom 3. So, they were probably just trying to get the first one they started out, then work on the more recent one.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Hell up to this point I was just amazed they kept getting payed for something because their last project really weren't worth a damn in my book, somehow they even managed to make Doom 3 worse in the latest release...

Best of luck to them but I really can't imagine them improving in coming years.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The game industry people. Everything's totally fine. Nothing to worry about here. Nope, nothing at all, everything's in tip-top shape...
Oh Jeffers. We've all heard your durm und strang regarding the hypothetical imminent gaming crash. We don't need to revisit it in every single thread that even tangentially touches on the subject.

Developers go tits up all the time. In the mid to late 90's it was all about Origin, Bullfrog, Black Isle, Interplay, Microprose, Looking Glass, etc, etc. Where are they now? Must've been a gaming crash.

ID hasn't done anything worth talking about in like, a decade or more. Could THAT have something to do with them being on the ropes? Food for thought.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Fraggy1 said:
Intended to be a reworking of Doom 2 - similar to how Doom 3 was inspired heavily by the original Doom - the project soon became highly cinematic and scripted in nature, being given the nickname 'Call of Doom' by developers.
being given the nickname 'Call of Doom' by developers.
'Call of Doom'
Reading that part gives me nightmares worse than trying to play Plutonia on nightmare. Though I can say good on ID for recognizing that just pumping out some shit clone would be a bad idea, I don't feel all too confident they even know how to bring Doom 2 to the modern age from 1995 without it leaving behind some of the stuff that made it so awesome. At least if it fails, I still have Brutal Doom to fall back on.

...Now that I think about it, just show Brutal Doom to the development team, shove their faces in it and tell them "LIKE THIS BUT BETTER."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The industry is going through a REALLY rocky phase right now isn't it?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Oh Jeffers. We've all heard your durm und strang regarding the hypothetical imminent gaming crash. We don't need to revisit it in every single thread that even tangentially touches on the subject.
Rant
Damn it Jeffers, what did I just say?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
We're already seeing the industry engage in practises that are unsustainable in the long term- annually milking franchises, screwing customers for every penny they can, engaging in anti-consumer activities, etc.
You have convinced yourself of an imminent crash because you WANT there to be an imminent crash. You view it as karmic retribution for all the unsavory business practices you disapprove of.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Reception to Rage be damned, id are one of the most important companies in the industry, and based on past successes alone they should be able to take as long as they want to make their games.
Maybe 10 years ago. ID have not been relevant in a very long time.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
The next gen consoles pushing up development costs cant help. Quake 2 (the gloom and action quake mods in particular) was my first experience of online gaming and I loved it, even on a 56k modem.

Ive not bought anything theyve made for a number of years but this is still sad news.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The game industry people. Everything's totally fine. Nothing to worry about here. Nope, nothing at all, everything's in tip-top shape...

Developers go tits up all the time. In the mid to late 90's it was all about Origin, Bullfrog, Black Isle, Interplay, Microprose, Looking Glass, etc, etc. Where are they now? Must've been a gaming crash.

ID hasn't done anything worth talking about in like, a decade or more. Could THAT have something to do with them being on the ropes? Food for thought.
Thanks Guppy now I don't really need to add too much to this thread since this is pretty much what I was gonna say anyway. All id has done since Doom 3(RAGE was medicore I don't care if you really like it, it was a deeply flawed experience at best) is slag off consoles and stroke the ego of the PC master race without actually doing anything, now I'm a PC gamer an a console gamer and if thats all a developer does then yeah, fuck 'em, they can go tits up, all they've done is divide gamers without contributing a damned thing.

Oh and Lucas Arts. Medicority since what 2004?

I'd do the same thing were I disney and since I'm here, I'll cover creative risk: Disney owns Marvel, The Avengers happened. Shared continuity across comic book universe in cinema. If that isn't a creative risk I don't know what is.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sixcess said:
I'm conflicted. "Call of Doom" sounds awful and I'm glad that's been knocked on the head. On the other hand I really want to see a good next-gen Doom, though I'm not sure if the things I love about the originals - giant levels, tons of enemies, freedom to explore - could be replicated with modern visuals without it making my pc explode.

There's really no FPS I can think of that delivers a real Doom-like experience. Serious Sam gets mentioned a lot but that's really all about circle strafing waves of enemies in an arena-like environment, as was Painkiller. Not really the same thing.
So you want circle strafing in a corridor maze?

Try Hard Reset, it's a little less open compared to Painkiller.

As for the current bout of lay-offs and closures, well that happens when a unsustainable industry wobbles.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
It's id not ID.

Non-capitalized because id lower case i looks better than I which can be confused l. And the second letter isn't capitalized because no one capitalizes the letters in the middle of the word, that makes no sense. id is from the latin word for 'thing,' as in the id, ego and the superego. It is not a reference to identification cards.

Also creating a doom sequel that people like should honestly not be that difficult. Create a ton of enemy types, a bunch of powerful guns and then let the player run really quickly through crowds of demons gunning them down. I guess Carmack is too busy with Armadillo aerospace to give a shit.