DOOM: ETERNAL's Unapologetic Western Masculinity

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lionsprey said:
its the typical alt right overreaction. a few people say "i liked the game but i'm not fond of this joke because it kind of seems like its comparing refuges with demons" and the alt right starts screaming their usual garbage. personally a part of me hopes they remove the joke because the rage from it happening might give a few of the alt right heart attacks.
So business as usual.

I wonder how people can manage to stay worked up constantly. I find it so exhausting.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Something Amyss said:
I wonder how people can manage to stay worked up constantly. I find it so exhausting.
The outrage is on YouTube. Outrage generates hits. Hits generate likes and revenue.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Something Amyss said:
lionsprey said:
its the typical alt right overreaction. a few people say "i liked the game but i'm not fond of this joke because it kind of seems like its comparing refuges with demons" and the alt right starts screaming their usual garbage. personally a part of me hopes they remove the joke because the rage from it happening might give a few of the alt right heart attacks.
So business as usual.

Because it makes them a boatload of money.

And radicalises their audience into the extreme right, but they dont care about that, or see it as a bonus.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hm, it sure looks to be a lucrative business whinging on YouTube about obscure twitter comments. And it's not like you'd ever run out of material either! Am going to have to keep that in mind for when I'm desperate enough to sell out what little standards I'm still clinging on to.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adam Jensen said:
Something Amyss said:
Losers tend to have too much energy from all the sex they aren't getting.
Their lives are so shallow and pathetic with few or no accomplishments, that these assholes have nothing better to do. And what you said: hilarious.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gethsemani said:
MrCalavera said:
>Woke
Shouldn't it be "redpilled"?
Redpilled is for the time when you realize that men are the ones who are really oppressed by society. Woke is when you realize the altright is right. There's some overlap, but they are distinct. Some parts of the altright also use Woke ironically as a way to describe PC and SJW culture (as in the meme of "EA going woke, getting broke" over BFV).
Wait, I thought woke just meant you had realized that things are shit for some people because of their race/gender and were sympathetic to their plight.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Wintermute said:
The game is not macho enough. Everything needs to be manlier.
True, but it'll be pretty hard. I mean, caving in demons' skulls with their own torn-off limbs is already pretty manly.

Although giving Doomguy a pile bunker codpiece would probably be a good start.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Worgen said:
Wait, I thought woke just meant you had realized that things are shit for some people because of their race/gender and were sympathetic to their plight.
Yeah, that's the not-altright version. The altright's online presence was quick to appropriate it both ironically and in their own twisted version. If I didn't hate meme-culture before, I am quite certain I do after realizing that.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hm, it sure looks to be a lucrative business whinging on YouTube about obscure twitter comments. And it's not like you'd ever run out of material either! Am going to have to keep that in mind for when I'm desperate enough to sell out what little standards I'm still clinging on to.
You gotta also declare a game as being dead one week and having miraculously risen the next on a quarterly basis.

Also pepper in some Fortnite videos where you take pics or videos of one of the more ridiculous guns from the co-op mode and claim its coming to Battle Royale and will totally break the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seth Carter said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
You gotta also declare a game as being dead one week and having miraculously risen the next on a quarterly basis.

Also pepper in some Fortnite videos where you take pics or videos of one of the more ridiculous guns from the co-op mode and claim its coming to Battle Royale and will totally break the game.

It didn't just die, it was murdered. Mermaid murder. Or some wild guessing crap like that

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You guys are missing the narrative! SJWs want to destroy gaming by taking away our polygonal boobies and letting icky girls ruin our power fantasies, so anything that makes SJWs mad MUST be GOOD!

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
The Rogue Wolf said:
You guys are missing the narrative! SJWs want to destroy gaming by taking away our polygonal boobies and letting icky girls ruin our power fantasies, so anything that makes SJWs mad MUST be GOOD!
If you hadn't just accurately described the political philosophy of a significant chunk of online conservatives and "libertarians," this would be funny. =/

Oh wait, did I say political? I meant "non political free speech that must be protected at all costs" because obviously these types of things don't count as "injecting politics" as said people agree with them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Avnger said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
If you hadn't just accurately described the political philosophy of a significant chunk of online conservatives and "libertarians," this would be funny. =/

Oh wait, did I say political? I meant "non political free speech that must be protected at all costs" because obviously these types of things don't count as "injecting politics" as said people agree with them.
I swear, gaming has always had some type of imaginary boogie man.

* First, it was the jocks/non-geek (nerds) that would ruin gaming when the PS1 came out.

* Then, it was the casuals during the early to mid 360/PS3/Wii era.

* Now, it's SJWs, games with any hint of diversity, or games that focus heavily on a story a la Last of Us or God of War 4. That last one, see Gaming Brit's bullcrap to know what I am talking about.

What's next? Which of us or others are next?!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
lionsprey said:
that is the obvious connection considering the lore etc. but i admire your naivety when it comes to the alt-right.
i can assure you that there are plenty of people out there that think refuges are hostile invaders with the goal of destroying western civilization and so comparing them with literal spawns of hell only capable of murder and destruction makes perfect sense to them.
Oh... I'm sure there are legitimately twisted people that view others' suffering that way, but it strikes me as odd people would legitimately believe id Software would compare various refugee crises to a demonic hellspawn horde...

And if that were the case, then they are truly awful people and I don't plan to fund that sort of commentary in the future. Given the tone, theme, and plot, I find it difficult to believe id would do that.

Are you saying that the vast majority of refugees in Europe and England have demonstrated a willingness to assimilate and abide by their established customs, laws and culture? I mean, I?d like to think that was the case, but it might be considered a wee bit too wishful given the host of transgressions running contrary that have been plastered all over Youtube the past few years.

But then again, I suppose it?s not real news unless the big agenda-setting corporate media conglomerates are peddling it, which they aren?t.

Huh.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
lionsprey said:
that is the obvious connection considering the lore etc. but i admire your naivety when it comes to the alt-right.
i can assure you that there are plenty of people out there that think refuges are hostile invaders with the goal of destroying western civilization and so comparing them with literal spawns of hell only capable of murder and destruction makes perfect sense to them.
Oh... I'm sure there are legitimately twisted people that view others' suffering that way, but it strikes me as odd people would legitimately believe id Software would compare various refugee crises to a demonic hellspawn horde...

And if that were the case, then they are truly awful people and I don't plan to fund that sort of commentary in the future. Given the tone, theme, and plot, I find it difficult to believe id would do that.

Are you saying that the vast majority of refugees in Europe and England have demonstrated a willingness to assimilate and abide by their established customs, laws and culture? I mean, I?d like to think that was the case, but it might be considered a wee bit too wishful given the host of transgressions running contrary that have been plastered all over Youtube the past few years.

But then again, I suppose it?s not real news unless the big agenda-setting corporate media conglomerates are peddling it, which they aren?t.

Huh.
Wait, so are you saying Europe is burning now? Cause I thought it was burning last year and the year before, how has it managed to survive this long!? Its almost as if most of those stories are done by rightwing ethno-state nut jobs with a a vested interest in convincing people refugees are destroying anyone with a different skin color.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Avnger said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

Well, I mean, obviously.

That's why all these defenders of artistic vision and free-speech are going to come out against the Censorship of the Bat Wang. Aaaaannnyyy minute now.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
That makes the comparison to them being bloodthirsty demons out to kill eveyone (which is what the moron in this video, and others like him, is suggesting) valid how?

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
lionsprey said:

Huh.
yes because the only things refuges can be are perfect model citizens or rape demons. there is no in-between so if you are not a perfect citizen you are a literal rape demon.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
trunkage said:
Dreiko said:
I don't think masculinity is something that need be apologized for so I am confused about the concept of "unapologetic masculinity" but I just started playing the witcher 3 and that game epitomizes that concept and practically everyone loves that series to death so I'm sure Doon will be fine too and whoever is against it will miss out on an awesome game.
I've seen people mistake negative comments about toxic masculinity as negative comments about masculinity. What the Proud Boys initiation - something like: "white men made civilization, we don't have to be ashamed." Because any criticism of white men is a criticism of everything white men
Oh I've definitely come across comments that ascribe the term toxic to normal masculinity to an absurd degree, so I can see where someone would end up thinking that anything that is ascribed that term is actually overblown bs.

Toxic masculinity is something like abandoning your life's passion cause you have to make money cause you're "the man of the house" and then living life as a bitter person while maintaining your anachronistic notions of what it is to be masculine, not young boys playing rough with each-other in ways that may cause bruises or young men talking about vulgar subjects vulgarly.