Doublebear's Dead State Is Fallout Plus Zombie Apocalypse

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Doublebear's Dead State Is Fallout Plus Zombie Apocalypse

The veteran RPG employees at Doublebear have pulled the tarp off of Dead State, an upcoming zombie-themed RPG.

Developer Doublebear had been releasing information about its zombie RPG under the codename ZRPG, but now the game has an official name: Dead State [http://www.deadstate.doublebearproductions.com/]. With a megaton of details revealed in a interview with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, it doesn't just sound like a good zombie game, it sound like a good game period.

Dead State puts players in the shoes of the leader of a Texas shelter during the zombie apocalypse. With cities too dangerous to live in, survivors are trying to eke out an existence in the middle of nowhere.

Doublebear is made up of veteran RPG developers like Brian Mitsoda, an ex-Obsidian and ex-Troika employee. He paints Dead State as almost something like a zombie apocalypse simulator, with a great amount of freedom given to players. You have to manage the morale of your shelter and loyalty of its inhabitants by accomplishing goals, collecting food, and raising the shelter's defenses while also dealing with the individual personalities of the survivors that join your group. Certain "crisis events" are turning points that will make almost every member of the shelter approve or disapprove, so it won't be easy. Mitsoda says Dead State will have "a large pool of unique survivors" and players won't be able to recruit them all, giving a feeling of randomness to the game.

Other groups of survivors in the area must either be convinced to work alongside you or to fear you so they don't come after your stuff. Mitsoda says that there aren't necessarily "bad guys," because the player can make his own moral judgments about who to deal with. Other groups will also interact with each other separate from the player's decisions, or just try to hide completely.

Combat is turn-based with players giving orders to their team members rather than fully controlling them. Loyalty and personalities will determine whether these allies listen or not. Mitsoda gives an example: "If your ally is scared of zombies and you tell him to run into a pack of zombies, he's most likely going to ignore the order or do it and possibly start panicking as the zombies start to mob him." Your team in Dead State is not a trained group of commandos, so Mitsoda points out that they won't handle like one, and sometimes you've just got to let some of them die to save the others.

Battles work similar to other turn-based RPGs, with Mitsoda revealing Doublebear wanted to capture the "feeling of dread that was a big part of X-Com [http://store.steampowered.com/app/7760/]" though a line-of-sight mechanic. "It's very easy to be in a situation where you turn the corner and there are five zombies waiting there or a case where you fail to properly sweep a bedroom and one lunges out of the walk-in closet while you're about to search the dresser," he says.

As for the zombies, they'll be "your very basic shambling corpse." Some crawl, some are on fire, but none can sprint. The full interview with Mitsoda [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/] has even more details and is worth reading for turn-based RPG fans looking for something new on the horizon. Dead State will be released "not in 2010," and the only confirmed platform for now is the PC.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/]

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Holy Fuckin' Shit this sounds awesome.... PLEASE port to XBox and make it multi-player!!!!!!

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
It's not going to be like in the screenshot is it? By which I mean isometric or long distance 3rd person, like old fallout games or diablo. That would suck.

If not, I can't wait. It sounds pretty bad assed, I'm a big fan of Fallout 3 and most zombie related things.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Its shiny, I want it!

What would be nice too is a multiplayer version where you have to survive the apocalypse in the same situation with friends and you all fulfill different roles in the shelter. Not that its needed because this sounds fun enough but it would be a cool extra.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Well, at least there will be no shortage of guns and ammo. It is Texas, after all.

But now the real question - can you ride a horse through the zombie-infested wilderness?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I've been waiting for this type of a game a long, long time. Finally.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This is exactly what I have been wait for, for years...
...then I saw "Turn-based" ¬.¬
Well, it may still be decent, but I'd rather be able to just shoot, and rely on my own aiming (No matter how crap), than wait for actions in a turn-based battle...

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Misread title as 'Dead Space' and got disappointed that it wasn't news on DS2.

Read the article and got un-disappointed. This really seems like the sort of game type that should be a lot more common than it currently is.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
"Rock paper and shotgun" Sound like a bitchin' name for a band. I see this game as beng refreshing, sure I love sequal but something new is always good.

Oh, will we be able to create our own weapons?

Jacob_The_Tall

Aug 20, 2010
This is just what i have been waiting for. Each i time i saw a zombie flick or read a book/comic i was thinking about how awesome it would be to play it as a game

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
There has been a whole series of droolworthy PC games released this year.

CONSOLE GAMING IS DEAD