Dr Who Christmas Special 2013

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
albino boo said:
Did you miss last of the timelords?
Hey we're not saying that Moffat isn't being consistent in making a sucky last episode. In fact he's upholding and ,in some areas, even expanding upon the fine traditions of a last episode (Which is weird, because as much as I think it would be a bad idea, I think he's still showrunning Peter Capaldi's first season?)

*Pointless references to all the monsters in the last couple of series? Check
*Magic resolution of hugely complicated situation? Check
*Poorly explained plot points? Check
*Super indulgent? Check
*Daleks who do nothing? Check
*Name dropping series mystery Arc Words? Check

It even fits perfectly with End of Time in that they're great at showing the particular strengths and weaknesses of that showrunner. End of Time went too silly and lacked polish everywhere, but in many places it had a nice tone and was pretty honest with some good Tennant acting. This one had a lot of polish but rushed plot points was too fairytale and couldn't really settle on one strong theme, but it had the makings of an interesting plot with a weird clever concept and Matt Smith as always, was great in his role.

I have a theory that these finales do satisfy people who particularly liked that Doctor's run of episodes, but pretty much no-one else (I for example enjoyed End of Time and the people in this thread who liked this one I suspect liked the last couple of series'. They certainly haven't been saying 'I've been really disappointed with Moffat but this was a really good change of pace')

I mean those are the people you want to satisfy, it's just a shame these episodes can't stretch further than the people most inclined to be sympathetic to it

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
BrotherRool said:
albino boo said:
Did you miss last of the timelords?
Hey we're not saying that Moffat isn't being consistent in making a sucky last episode. In fact he's upholding and ,in some areas, even expanding upon the fine traditions of a last episode (Which is weird, because as much as I think it would be a bad idea, I think he's still showrunning Peter Capaldi's first season?)

*Pointless references to all the monsters in the last couple of series? Check
*Magic resolution of hugely complicated situation? Check
*Poorly explained plot points? Check
*Super indulgent? Check
*Daleks who do nothing? Check
*Name dropping series mystery Arc Words? Check

It even fits perfectly with End of Time in that they're great at showing the particular strengths and weaknesses of that showrunner. End of Time went too silly and lacked polish everywhere, but in many places it had a nice tone and was pretty honest with some good Tennant acting. This one had a lot of polish but rushed plot points was too fairytale and couldn't really settle on one strong theme, but it had the makings of an interesting plot with a weird clever concept and Matt Smith as always, was great in his role.

I have a theory that these finales do satisfy people who particularly liked that Doctor's run of episodes, but pretty much no-one else (I for example enjoyed End of Time and the people in this thread who liked this one I suspect liked the last couple of series'. They certainly haven't been saying 'I've been really disappointed with Moffat but this was a really good change of pace')

I mean those are the people you want to satisfy, it's just a shame these episodes can't stretch further than the people most inclined to be sympathetic to it
Err mate Last of the Timelords is Russell T Davis

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Well, I hadn't watched it yet when I read the thread, but it seems I didn't miss much, so I just went and watched the last 5 or so minutes. I hated Matt Smith, and haven't watched the majority of his season, so I figured I'd be relatively lost anyway, as I haven't watched any new episodes outside of the Day of the Doctor (I've watched lots of old Who though, every episode I could find up until the sixth doctor). I mostly just wanted to see him regenerate, and I did. I was rather disappointed we didn't get more of a look at the new Doctor's personality and all, but its hard to get too upset, as it is to be expected.

Over all, I'm excited for Peter Capaldi and glad to see the back of the shitty run of Matt Smith. As an aside, I wish we could just remove all the fucking Amy Pond shit (and everything related to her) from history, because she is awful.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Usually Moffat rubbish. Really, throw the script out and start again.
I suppose that's what happens when you spend five years writing yourself into a massive hole and then have an hour to wrap everything up.

I didn't hate it but it was too much to try and explain in such a short space of time.

That said, I was sad to see Matt Smith go when I didn't think I would be.
Good Doctor, dodgy writing, I guess.

Even though Capaldi was only in it for a few seconds, he came off a little creepy, no?
Still, I'm not worried, I'm really looking forward to Capaldi taking over.
They could dump Clara though.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Roganzar said:
good-bye Handles.
Handles was my favourite thing in the episode.

Comfort is irrelevant.

Better?

... Affirmative.

I think I had more of an emotional reaction to the end of Handles than the end of Matt Smith. :D

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I really liked it. The ending was obviously the highlight, and I won't deny welling up a tiny bit at Matt Smith's last speech. I love how they always yank everything back to comedy whenever the Doctor regenerates, and the change this time was so rapid that the tonal shift from "Please don't change" to "How d'you fly this thing?" could give you whiplash. Bring on Peter Capaldi.

Also, was I the only one who thought the crack in time was going to explain how the Weeping Angels made it onto the planet? A whole bunch of them went through the crack in 'Flesh and Stone', would it stand to reason that maybe they got out and that's how they ended up on Trenzalore? I guess not.

Speaking of the Angels, finally we get to see them defeated by propping a mirror in front of them! Since 'Blink', I've been saying how obvious a solution that would be to dealing with them, and now the Doctor's finally worked it out. Though now I'm afraid that mirrors are going to become to Angels what stairs were to original series' Daleks.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Even though Capaldi was only in it for a few seconds, he came off a little creepy, no?
Still, I'm not worried, I'm really looking forward to Capaldi taking over.
They could dump Clara though.
Heh, yeah he was.

They can't really get rid of Clara, they need versions of her popping up to keep saving the Doctor all the time.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
GeekFury said:
What annoyed me the most was the dues ex machina of the Time Lord tearing open the reality split to go 'Here you go bro, have a new set of regenerations on us', specially after the saccharin speech from Clara. This whole love conquers all guff is starting to grate on my very last nerve for the show. I've loved Doctor Who since before the relaunch and it's never come down to 'Come on kids, clap your hands if you believe in the Doctor!'

Colour Scientist said:
thaluikhain said:
I suppose that's what happens when you spend five years writing yourself into a massive hole and then have an hour to wrap everything up.
....Was I the only one here who actually watched RTD's episodes?

The Dr only ever has been given back something the Time lords have already taken away, not much of reward. The timelords, by past habits, would view giving the Dr a new set of regenerations like giving a lunatic some sharp objects. Saying that they did give the Master a whole new set of regenerations.
So letting the man who saved your civilization from total destruction live a bit longer is completely insane, but letting him travel across time and space after you exiled him because you didn't want him to mess about with time is okay?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
JoJo said:
Ninjamedic said:
JoJo said:
The only real problem I had with this episode was why did the Doctor think he was going to die when 13 versions of him turned up at the end of Day of the Doctor, when they were placing Gallifrey in a time thingy? Surely that would be a dead giveaway that he would regenerate at-least one more time... oh well.
I'm guessing that the other Doctor's didn't know, and that 12 just showed up to assist anyways, though that doesn't really help does it?
Yeah, I guess you could argue that it wasn't specifically said that the Eleventh Doctor knew there were twelve other Doctors helping him but even so, it seems like a weak point for continuity that it wasn't explained in any way... not that Doctor Who's ever been strong on that.
Also hasn't Clara been up and down his timeline to be there when he needed her the most. Surely when he was doing his "I'm on my last life" thing, she could of gone "Nah, you'll be fine, trust me".

As for the episode, meh. Considering that it contained most of his deadliest enemies and there were pictures of him holding a severed Cyberman head, it was severely lacking in anything memorable happening other than his regeneration. So, goodbye Matt Smith, thanks for not taking 20 minutes to say goodbye and I suppose thanks for being The Doctor, lets see what the next one brings.

Also, it was kinda nice of the BBC to lend Karen Gillan a wig.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Colour Scientist said:
thaluikhain said:
....Was I the only one here who actually watched RTD's episodes?
It was never as messy as the River Song arc or the "explody TARDIS, buttcrack in space" story-line that ran for what, like three seasons.

I can't put my finger on what it is but, for some reason. I think Davies pulled it off better.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
It was never as messy as the River Song arc or the "explody TARDIS, buttcrack in space" story-line that ran for what, like three seasons.

I can't put my finger on what it is but, for some reason. I think Davies pulled it off better.
I was going to post a breakdown of each episode, but then I thought that would be just dickish, so I'm just going to chalk it down to taste and the chemistry between the actors in RTD's stories working so well that you can overlook the problems with the script.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I came out of this episode feeling kind of guilty that I didn't like it that much. I'm happy I'm not the only one.
It just felt a little stale.
Now, I really liked Matt Smith's Doctor (he wasn't my favourite but he bought something new to it), and I don't blame him for the lack of oomph in the episode, but the writing seemed to fall a little flat for me.
I'm looking forward with the Doctor being taken in a new direction by Peter Capaldi.

BrotherRool said:
Oh man I totally forgot in my first rant about how Stephen Moffat literally only knows how to write one type of female character. I do not understand what his problem his, surely someone's pointed out that River Song, Queen Elizabeth, the Church Lady from here, Irene Addler and Clara are all the same person and he should change that? There are more people in the universe than quirky, flirty, sexually aggressive women. I can't remember if the church lady has shown up before (because this episodes approach to plot building was 'here is a picture of something Moffat wrote before, now we're done with that plot element...") but I pretty much facepalmed when I realised she was going to be exactly the same all over again
I'm so glad I'm not the only one to notice this.
Come on, can we give the female characters more... character?
Not every woman fancies the Doctor and exists to worship him and/or die for him.
We need more male and non-sexified alien companions, because I've kind of given up hope of the writers actually not doing the exact same thing with every single female character.*
*And also it would be cool.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Phasmal said:
Not every woman fancies the Doctor and exists to worship him and/or die for him.
It's seemingly because they've decided that Twilight was the way to go, and than the female characters should be as flat as possible, and spend all their time blathering on about how wonderful the main character is, because it's easier than writing him as convincingly wonderful.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Phasmal said:
It's seemingly because they've decided that Twilight was the way to go, and than the female characters should be as flat as possible, and spend all their time blathering on about how wonderful the main character is, because it's easier than writing him as convincingly wonderful.
Funny that you mention that, I'm watching Remembrance Of The Daleks right now. Ace just beat the unholy crap out of a Dalek with a Baseball Bat. It's awesome.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
spartandude said:
I didnt understand the silence at all. Ok so if the doctor says his name the time lords return (for some reason) and if that happens a new time war will start which will destroy the universe. The silence understandably want to stop this and call themselves the silence because they dont want the doctor to talk, and they want him dead. They way they do that is by destroying the Tardis which would destroy the universe..... Did the silence not understand the controversy surrounding the Mass Effect 3 ending?

Also what created the time cracks, the Timelords or the Tardis exploding? Why the Weeping Angels there? Or was it Moffat just going "people liked these guys, so im going to shoe-horn them in for no reason".

I really didnt like this episode at all. For the past couple of years ive been saying the I love Matt Smith and i still do, even though im excited to see what Capaldi will bring the table, but if Doctor Who is to improve they need to get rid of Steven Moffat because he is running the show into the ground.
The Silence that blew the Tardis up were a rouge branch of the church. That created the cracks in the universe. After the Doctor rebooted the universe the cracks were like scars and the Time Lords were able to push through the scars because they were the weakest point of the universe. They needed the Doctor to say his name so they knew it was safe to come through. It was all explained in the episode.

What I was wondering is if the head of the Church is/was River, because of the Doctors comment "You've been fighting the psychopath inside you your whole life" or something along those lines.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Phasmal said:
It is kind of disappointing. Not sure what I can do other than wait for a writer change.
Maybe they'll go in a different direction with Peter Capaldi (and I really hope so), but I'm not holding my breath.
It's funny because Moffat wrote my favourite RTD-era episodes, but on his own as lead writer... I'm not loving it.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Catfood220 said:
JoJo said:
Ninjamedic said:
JoJo said:
The only real problem I had with this episode was why did the Doctor think he was going to die when 13 versions of him turned up at the end of Day of the Doctor, when they were placing Gallifrey in a time thingy? Surely that would be a dead giveaway that he would regenerate at-least one more time... oh well.
I'm guessing that the other Doctor's didn't know, and that 12 just showed up to assist anyways, though that doesn't really help does it?
Yeah, I guess you could argue that it wasn't specifically said that the Eleventh Doctor knew there were twelve other Doctors helping him but even so, it seems like a weak point for continuity that it wasn't explained in any way... not that Doctor Who's ever been strong on that.
Also hasn't Clara been up and down his timeline to be there when he needed her the most. Surely when he was doing his "I'm on my last life" thing, she could of gone "Nah, you'll be fine, trust me".

As for the episode, meh. Considering that it contained most of his deadliest enemies and there were pictures of him holding a severed Cyberman head, it was severely lacking in anything memorable happening other than his regeneration. So, goodbye Matt Smith, thanks for not taking 20 minutes to say goodbye and I suppose thanks for being The Doctor, lets see what the next one brings.

Also, it was kinda nice of the BBC to lend Karen Gillan a wig.
I think that was her hair made into a wig. That's what she said when talking about having it shaved off for Guardians of the Galaxy.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
albino boo said:
Ninjamedic said:
Saw it Albino, by relaunch I mean pre-2000 Who, such as Tom Baker, John Pertwee and the likes. Most of the new Who episodes come down to 'love conquers all' not the Doctor just being smart and lucky, go back and watch episodes from the days of yore.

Mark Chapman

Nov 16, 2010
My big problem with this episode is that the plot made no goddamn sense. Once the Daleks had taken control of the Church ship, why didn't they just blow up the whole planet? Presumably they're capable of it.