Dragon Age 3: Inquisition Coming Fall 2014

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
StriderShinryu said:
Morrigan! Yeah, the only issue I have is that it's still so far from release..
Remember the last time they released a game too soon?

Release date is not an issue.
I concur - I thought it might have been coming out earlier, but if they want to push it back a year, by all means, let them. And please, let there be plenty of bits with the Qunari.

Johny_X2 said:
Ah, Morrigan. Also known as HK-47 with boobs. I'm now looking forward to this game. A lot.
Oh come on, you mean I missed the HK romance options in KotOR? Dang! On a more serious note, Morrigan was amusing, but had her flaws - though that's not to say that she won't be even better this time around. HK, however, is hilarious, and was pretty much flawless until they screwed around with him in SWTOR.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Hopefully it's like Origins and not like Medieval Mass Effect. But I don't really expect anything good from it to be honest, It's by EA's Bioware after all.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Meh, I'm sure it'll be good, especially with all of the time that they've had to put into it... though the trailer didn't really do much for me... just sort of a big war going on with magic powers and shit... though from what little I've seen they've done a better job marrying the look of the first Dragon Age and the second one... as ugly as the first Dragon Age was...

I've never understood people who say dragon Age 2, looks bad... I mean, as much as I liked the first Dragon Age, for it's deep world, interesting characters, and it's relatively adult tone... it was hardly easy on the eyes... in fact it looked really bad, in both design and actual quality.. I mean, textures were muddy, low res and prone to stretching, models were low poly and stiff... and the animation was as close to bare bones as you could really get...

and Dragon Age 2, at least introduced some visual flair to it, especially in differentiating the races, with the Elves being taller, and more slender, almost alien looking, and not just being tiny people with ears, The Qunari are towering beefy horned monsters, covered in tribal war paint designs and simple clothing, both showing their dedication to the Qun theology, and their disposition towards simplicity... you know, as opposed to big guy with dread locks... though there's not a whole lot you can do with dwarves... so they look the same... but my point is, there's a lot more work that went into giving Dragon Age a more unique look... even if it stepped away from the gritty brown look of the older games...<.<

Though, I hated, absolutely hated what they did with deep roads in Dragon Age 2... it's just so damned boring now, if anything that should've been the one thing they kept the same as in the original Dragon Age, though I did like the look of the giant Lyrium veins, taking "veins" almost literally in their representation...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
The most encrouging thing to see there was the release date, these kinds of games need more time than they gave DA2, and it was the source of most of the games problems.

Imbechile said:
Soooo...... Yet another Bioware game where I save the world from the big bad.......

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn........
The thing you are saving the world from in DA3 is itself.
I also think I should point out that the last game wasn't about saving the world or killing a big bad.

Leximodicon said:
I don't know if I can trust you Dragon Age... :p
Then don't. Wait and once you have more information make a judgement.

endtherapture said:
Qunari or Ogre was that?
I can imagine it being hard to pick the two apart from a few moments of a tralier, ogres do come from Qunari (or from something that was once Qunari) after all. Plus this looks like yet another blur tralier, and they not the best at making things look right for DA traliers, such as female faces.

It is a Qunari, which is interesting. I was wondering how they would factor into the game, since the last time they invaded they were only driven back once the human nations started enlisting the Circles of Magi in battle, but the circles and their Templars are fighting each other, not really in a position to be used against a well timed invasion, and the Qunari are never not planning and preparing for an invasion.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Texas Joker 52 said:
Now, what I am excited for is seeing the Paragon of Manliness himself return! Varric, my best buddy, my favorite dwarf and his sexy crossbow, it's good to see you again.
Varric Tethras and Lady Marian Hawke, super best bros in Kirkwall. I'd like to be able to import one of my many Lady!Hawke's into DAIII, but time will tell.

Texas Joker 52 said:
And if you don't play as Hawke, he better damn well be a romance.
........Go on.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I want to get excited, I really do, but All I can think about is how arse the PC port was for Dragon Age 2, and there's no way in hell I'm getting a new console after what I've seen of the Piss Station 4 and the Xbone.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
First reaction to Morrigan: WOOOOOO!!! She's back :D
Second reaction to Morrigan: ... mole... mo-mole... take her away from my sight

Seriously, I like the fact that they are keeping up with some npcs, I loved the first game but never truly felt anything for my character in particular, Dragon Age 2 was pretty nice, but as good, however I did feel more entangled with my personal character and most npcs, I hope they find a way to keep both gameplay and character interesting, given how both are important for RPGs.

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Not much to go on re: gameplay or story to be honest, but I appreciate they didn't shoehorn in a protagonist. In a game where you can play as both genders and can customize your character's appearance it has always bugged me when they put the "main character" in trailers and on the box. *cough mass effect cough*

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Imbechile said:
Soooo...... Yet another Bioware game where I save the world from the big bad.......

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn........
well, what else is gonna threaten the world, seriously?
Dragon Age borrows heavily from tolkien and DnD, of course it's about defeating a big bad, but that's not what makes it interesting.

It's the journey there...

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013
I'm not judging the game until we see gameplay. It looked nice and it's got me excited to hear more, definitely (though I already like Dragon Age), but there's nothing about the actual game in there apart from characters and the vaguest of plot details.

When the gameplay trailer does come out it had better be damn good too, because The Witcher 3's has been shown at E3 and it looks amazing. That there's going to be an extra year of development is reassuring to hear, though. However, as a PC gamer I wish it weren't a cross-generational release...ah well.

SpunkeyMonkey said:
No, just no.

The first two main characters who make an appearance are Varric & the Arishok - I'm trying to wipe the abomination of DA:2 from my memory! *facepalm* The second I saw that stupid fucking manga-esq crossbow my heart sank.

Granted, they are two of DA:2's best characters, but it's instantly put me off the game as it's clear Bioware just don't get their audience anymore and are sticking to that non-fantasy, Dragon-Effect, vibe implemented in DA:2.

And then we see a butchered Morrigan, who now looks ugly and tamed in a stupid dress.

I try not to read into trailers too much, but the whole tone and sentiment of this screams
"We're still determined to ignore DA:O as much as possible. Dragon Effect is still the way.""

Fail :(

Sorry, I've got to rant here. that whole trailer looks awful, fucking awful. They really haven't paid attention to anything which made the original so mint in the first place. I'm dreading this, thank God for The Witcher 3!
You just copy pasted that over from the other comments thread...? Ah well, got to spread that really important and serious angst and outrage to the world, I guess.

It's also funny how they've actually been purposely avoiding references to DA2, or even it's existence, apart from Varric (who is one of the few things most people liked from that game). It's not DA3:I anymore, it's just DA:I - and the website only mentions Bioware as makers of "Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 3". Makes me feel better about this, if anything - I liked DA2, but as a game, it was shit compared to DA:O. Those dungeons...

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
I thought EA had already lead the world of Dragon Age to its bitter end in Dragon Age 2, or that God Aweful Dragon Age CGI anime movie..

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Mycroft Holmes said:
neppakyo said:
Hope it tanks worse than DA2
Yeah that would be so great, Bioware would have to fire a bunch of people and they would probably have to go on welfare and lose their homes if they couldn't find more work. lol can you imagine the thousands of unemployed people this could result in?

Ishal said:
I got that impression. I'm guessing you are playing as 1 of three people.

1) "the inquisitor" the generic character that they made up for the third game. Not matter who you name yourself you are still the inquisitor, just like how you were "the warden" in DA:O

2) You play the warden again, though this might depend on perhaps involving a save game transfer

3) You play as the demon child, but again this hinges upon you having made that choice or Bioware canonizing it.
David Gaider already said that the wardens story is over and he/she will not be the main character of any future Dragon Age games. They also said that you will not be forced to play as an inquisitor or join the inquisition. So options 1 and 2 are out. And unless god-babies age a lot faster or the mage war has been going on for like 10+ years by the time inquisition starts, I doubt you will play as him/her either.

So my guess is that you probably play as Orlesian nobility or something. Maybe they will try to bring back the 'origin' part of DA:O. And give you a few choices for backgrounds to the voiced human character. Like how Mass Effect did it.
You know, I remember that now. That bit about what Gaider said... I just put it out of my mind because... Gaider. Not the biggest fan of that guy. He's only a few pegs down from Casey Hudson at this point.

I'm not wishing ill of Bioware, and I still believe they can pull this off, but I think the chances of that are very very small at this point. I think the best they can do is hope for a return to to form and scrap the entire combat system from DAII. Your speculation about the origin theme returning would help, I think. I'd certainly like to see it. The long development time is a good sign, but I won't be preordering or buying in the first month. I'll wait to hear what the community thinks. Not the BSN... but the folks around here and some folks on youtube.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I do love me some Morrigan.

Beyond that, my thoughts can be summed up thusly.

Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.Pleasebegood.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
synobal said:
Ugg bringing back Morrigan seriously, her story was finished. The only reason they've dragged her back is to try and get back fans of Origins that they lost with Dragon Age 2. Like me, well it's not gonna work EA you can keep your inquisition and the dragon it rode in on.
Really? I would say her story was just beginning.

I mean, if you got her pregnant in the first game you have that story to tell with her half-archdeamon child and if you didn't...

Well, its not above Dragon Age at to ret-con what you did in the previous games (see: Liliana) and really, I don't think I want to live in a world where the Warden from the first game was so dumb that he didn't take Morrigan up on the offer in the first place.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
SacremPyrobolum said:
synobal said:
Ugg bringing back Morrigan seriously, her story was finished. The only reason they've dragged her back is to try and get back fans of Origins that they lost with Dragon Age 2. Like me, well it's not gonna work EA you can keep your inquisition and the dragon it rode in on.
Really? I would say her story was just beginning.

I mean, if you got her pregnant in the first game you have that story to tell with her half-archdeamon child and if you didn't...

Well, its not above Dragon Age at to ret-con what you did in the previous games (see: Liliana) and really, I don't think I want to live in a world where the Warden from the first game was so dumb that he didn't take Morrigan up on the offer in the first place.
But her story has nothing to do with Hawkes war, and all that silly stuff. They brought her in instead of a new character simply to draw back old players whom they turned off with DA2.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
Well some good information, and some bad (Depending on how you feel about it I suppose).

Coming from the Dragon Age Wiki [http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Inquisition], be warned: This is a lot of text.

Regarding the Player Character said:
Dragon Age: Inquisition will showcase a new protagonist, who will be a human, with the ability to choose an origin. Unlike in Dragon Age: Origins, this background will not be playable, but will still have a noticeable impact on the plot. Mike Laidlaw has stated that playing as a different character "does not mean your old character may never appear in future games," which could indicate that the new protagonist will be able to meet Hawke and the Warden (provided that the latter survived the events of Dragon Age: Origins).
Apparently a human, though you will choose their background, apparently. I would have preferred to be able to choose race too, but since Hawke was pretty fun to play as, I'm willing to bet this character will be to. And them being able to meet either Hawke or the Warden is pretty cool to think about too.

Regarding Location said:
Dragon Age: Inquisition will be set in Thedas, and it has been heavily implied that the game will be set primarily in Orlais. The game will cover more geographic territory than its predecessors, with one map being described as four to five times the size of Ferelden, the setting of the first game in the series.
That is particularly interesting, though it does make me wonder if the player will be Orlesian. I actually kind of hope not.

Regarding General Plot said:
BioWare mentioned that the main plot will be "saving the world from itself." The plot will involve an all out war between mages and templars, the foundations of which comprise the main plot of Dragon Age II. Along with the larger size of the game map, the player will be able to travel to countries such as Tevinter to calm or encourage the fighting.
Well, I suppose it was too much to hope for a different conflict, but I suppose the ending to Dragon Age 2 made it too much to hope for. Still, depending on how it's done, it may be pretty good. I'd look forward to going to Tevinter and slaughtering both the Magisters and the Slavers, even though I usually end up siding with the mages.

Regarding Save File Transfer said:
Laidlaw also confirmed the ability for players to import their save files from the first two games into Dragon Age: Inquisition to "shore up world consistency." Mark Darrah later stated that BioWare is looking into creating ways to include choices made in previous titles without the need for a Save File transfer system.
That was to be expected, really, but still a nice thing to have all the same.

Regarding Gameplay said:
BioWare is planning on fusing elements of both earlier games in the series, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, into the creation of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Combat is also expected to differ somewhat from its predecessors and focus more on a player's ability to prepare, position and form a cohesive team with his or her party members, requiring fewer repetitive finger strikes but better thinking. The armour customisation will differ from both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, in that each party member will have interchangeable armour pieces that will customise the look according to its specification and class. They will also refrain from reusing environments, a common criticism of Dragon Age II. Cinematic designer Jon Perry said that "one level in Dragon Age 3 is as big as all of the levels in Dragon Age 2."

Ray Muzyka, the CEO of BioWare, said in an interview with Wired.com that Dragon Age: Inquisition would be influenced by more open world games, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which BioWare is "checking out aggressively."

BioWare will use a brand new engine which will use Frostbite 3 as a foundation.

It has been confirmed by David Gaider that the Game will feature "multiplayer in some form." It is not known yet what the Multiplayer element will be.

Producer Cameron Lee has implied that there may be some form of "castle-controlling" mechanics.
Ok, it seems that:

-The gameplay will be relatively new for the series.

-Armor will be going the way of Mass Effect 2-3, in that how much protection it provides is the same regardless, but the individual pieces may provide specific bonuses, and will differ in appearance.

-Levels will not be reused, like in Dragon Age 2.

-There will be some kind of Multiplayer.

-There may be "castle-controlling mechanics". Tower defense sections, maybe?

I'm not looking forward to there being multiplayer, but depending on how its done, it may be fun enough to play. The "castle-controlling mechanics" also sound kind of ominous too. But, I'm cautiously optimistic.