Dragon Age: Inquisition Brings Back Tactical View - PAX 2013

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dragon Age: Inquisition Brings Back Tactical View - PAX 2013

The style of combat in Dragon Age: Origins has returned.

I'm one of the vocal minority of gamers that actually thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Age 2 for its amazing role-playing and the fun of pulling off interesting combos in the action-based combat. But when I heard Mike Laidlaw, the creative director of the franchise, say that the tactical, top-down view PC players might remember from Origins was returning, I gasped. Not only will PC stalwarts like myself be able to pause and issue commands to your party in a view that makes sense, but console players will have the tactical view available too. The BioWare team realized that giving more options to players was much better than restricting them.

"You can play the game the way you want to play it," said Laidlaw, pointing out the player can switch easily between following a party member in a third person over the shoulder view to the tactical camera. "There's situations in which there's advantages for both styles of play. I don't want every fight to be fought using [the tactical view]. Sometimes you just want to quickly beat up some guys."

Mopping up weaker enemies is also now a very real possibility in Dragon Age: Inquisition because the combat difficulty doesn't scale with the might of the player. Foes that were tough when you started out will be a cakewalk later in the game, but of course that means there will be areas that are just too difficult to wander into until you've leveled up.

For example, the world area of Inquisition - we'll get back to how freaking huge it is in a second - is dotted with dragons. They have returned, and you can spend your time and resources in tracking them down to be known as dragonslayer by the people. But be warned, the bits we were shown in the demonstration were terrifying; dragons move and attack with their breath in very deadly ways, and your party will be hard-pressed to take them out.

"Each dragon encounter is hand-crafted, and they are designed to kick your ass," Laidlaw said. You don't have to kill dragons, it's optional gameplay, but every time you do you'll get resources and prestige you can use to build up the Inquisition.

The Inquisition is what this game is all about, hence the title. The player character - which can be mage, warrior or rogue just like before - starts off the game re-establishing the ancient order of the Inquisition, founded long ago to stamp out corruption across all nations and borders. You begin the game poor and controlling no land, but as you go out into the world to take over keeps, establish bases, help people, or force them to heed you, your power grows.

[gallery=1730]

But this is no empty game concept. Laidlaw showed how you can make decisions in how you govern your keeps, say to unlock new dungeons or areas, as well as engage in crafting systems to better equip your soldiers or make enough potions to turn the tide of war. It really did seem like an open world RPG in which you control a burgeoning organization.

The BioWare guys are a bit cagey as to the exact story of Inquisition, but the details they could speak of were about the continuing struggle between the mages and the Templars. On top of that, some disaster has injured the Veil, and the barrier between the Fade, where demons and magic come from, and the real world now has a few holes. Unfortunately for you, the holes spawn all kinds of nasties like undead and the mages and Templars are too busy fighting each other to deal with the problem.

"It's a world out of balance," Laidlaw said, hinting that all these events are too convenient to be a coincidence. Something, or someone, is behind it all.

Inquisition takes place in Ferelden, Orlais and the northern reaches surrounding Kirkwall from DA2. "It is the biggest game we have ever made," Laidlaw said, and he's not kidding. The areas we were shown ranged from temperate zones to deserts and swamps, and you can walk across them in a seamless manner. One area was called Crestwood, and Laidlaw said, "It is bigger than all of Dragon Age 2 put together. It will take you fifteen minutes to walk from one end of it to the other."

I learned so much about this game that it's impossible to mention it all, but it's clear BioWare has doubled down on re-inventing the epic fantasy RPG genre. I saw echoes of Skyrim and Baldur's Gate and even Civilization, but Inquisition isn't a clear progression from any genre. Dragon Age: Inquisition will be in a category all by itself when it comes out in the Fall of 2014.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Sounds great!

I.. I'd say more, but that really sums it up. Everything he said, sounds great!

Of course, it has only been said so far. That being said, I am looking forward to seeing this.
..Is "said" starting to sound weird or is that only me?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Looks like they might've learned from their mistakes. I'm looking forward to hearing more about DA3.

The BioWare team realized that giving more options to players was much better than restricting them.
Then why not have both the ability to import and the ability to use Dragon Keeper?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I am surprised at how I just can't seem to care about this game at all. When someone is talking about DA: Inquisition I feel the same way that I feel when someone is talking about a sports game. I simply don't give a shit. And that really surprises me.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
I'm still holding out to see if they actually deliver on this hype. Unless there's been a serious internal shakeup (And since Laidlaw is still the lead designer, I doubt it) I have a hard time believing that the people who created DAII are now completely 180ing on their design philosophies. Begrudgingly hitting some "We're like DA:O again!" bullet points isn't going to make up for designers who think things like "It's more important for players to see who pretty our NPC party members are than it is for them to be able to customize their gear".

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Doom972 said:
Then why not have both the ability to import and the ability to use Dragon Keeper?
Well I mean what difference does it make, as long as they account for every choice in the Dragon Keeper thing?

OT: Sounds good, but I'm still having trouble trusting Bioware. If I do buy it, it'll be used.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
They also confirmed Qunari as a playable race, which is like the only thing holding me back from being absurdly excited about this game. They didn't say much how the Qun or anything would play into it, but still!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Remember how during DA2's promotional campaign they kept insisting that Origins was a piece of shit in comparison? Yeah, now look at them.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I am surprised at how I just can't seem to care about this game at all. When someone is talking about DA: Inquisition I feel the same way that I feel when someone is talking about a sports game. I simply don't give a shit. And that really surprises me.
You know I'm in the same boat. Why it scares me is I'm the one who got the comics and the books. Pretty much anything to do with Mass Effect or Dragon Age I paid for. There was a time where I looked forward to bioware putting anything out. Yet not I just found out there is new books out for dragon age. Not getting them it just such a fall from fan boy to Meh.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I saw a qunari female in Adam Sessler's interview on DAI and it gave me draenei vibes from WoW (which is a good thing), since they both have horns and tails mind the goat feet I guess.

I am more interested to see how they will implement the previous decisions from DAO and DA2 in the third game and how much effect will those have. They are pushing the Dragon Age Keep app quite a lot.

Overall I like the changes and I really hope they don't "consolize" the game too much (you better give me a PC interface or I swear I will...REDACTED) and I'll be a happy camper. They have even delayed the game so they can work on it more so let's see if they can put the extra time to make it better. If it's at least the same as DAO standards then it's all good.

Time will tell, but it's the last chance I'm giving them to see if they can pull themselves out of the gutter after the whole DA2 and ME3 ending controversy.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Must...not...get...excited.

Can't...be...let...down...again...

(If you fuck this up Bioware I swear I'll eat all you're hearts)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I officially do not want to wait until next fall. I mean.. I do want them to have the time to make the game they want to make particularly after publically admitting that they were rushed with DA2, but I want to play the game now.

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
They're going to make a Dragon Age FPS sooner or later by the looks of things.

Dragon Age died for me with DA2.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Remember how during DA2's promotional campaign they kept insisting that Origins was a piece of shit in comparison? Yeah, now look at them.
Well, I mean, to be fair, Origins was a piece of shit in comparison. Fantastic game, absolutely, just not really in the same league as DA2.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Drago-Morph said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, I mean, to be fair, Origins was a piece of shit in comparison. Fantastic game, absolutely, just not really in the same league as DA2.
You're right, I was wrong to even consider putting Origins in the same league as DA2. Dragon Age 2 is far, far worse than origins, which had the benefit of actually being good.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Cybylt said:
norashepard said:
They also confirmed Qunari as a playable race
Source, now!
http://www.gamespot.com/pax/qunari-will-be-playable-race-in-dragon-age-inquisition-6413926/

After some quick googling I found this...

I didn't know about it either o_O. Holy fuckin' YES.