Dragon Age Writer: Same-Sex Romance is Here to Stay

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That's cool. Hopefully it'll be done a little better than Zevran, though. He got on my nerves so much! I made him leave the party when I had the opportunity.

RollForInitiative said:
JemothSkarii said:
Only Bioware games I've really played are Neverwinter Nights 2 and DA:O. For defending something like this, I applaud them; there needs to be more acceptance of LGBT in the world and this may be a very small thing that helps.
Neverwinter Nights 2 was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not us. ^_^
You work for Bioware?!?

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
This. This right here is why Bioware is one of the most respected developers ever. :D (I may be a little biased cuz I'm a Bioware fanboy...)

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Falseprophet said:
spectrenihlus said:
I find the actively pursued part funny. Of all the romances in the game Zevran is the easiest to do the deed with you don't have to actively pursue anything with him just talk,once.
Yeah, but that's ingrained into his character. His whole life (if you believe his backstory), he's been a slave, and while a slave, he basically had three roles: victim, whore or killer. When one defense mechanism doesn't work, he switches to the other. So from the way he's introduced, he knows he can't kill the Warden. And obviously, if the Warden keeps him around and doesn't run him off or kill him, he's not a victim. So the only other way he knows how to behave is as a whore. At least until you build up his trust enough that he can see you as a friend, or if you pursue it, a committed lover.

But in Dragon Age, you can shoot down Zevran or Leiliana the first time they proposition you and it won't come up again. I don't see why in an M-rated game, why just being propositioned by a same-sex partner would be a problem, if your character can just say "I don't swing that way" and be done with it.

A more ideal solution would to just include a radio button in the character creation process: a) I only want opposite-sex encounters, b) I only want same-sex encounters, c) send them both my way, or d) I'm here for bloodshed and booty, not hearts and flowers. Then maybe NPC romantic options don't need to be fixed--e.g. if you played a male PC and wanted to romance Alistair, the radio-button choice would make that an option. I suspect there's other factors at play--prime among them the additional amount of dialogue that would need to be written, acted and recorded--but a gamer can dream.
Oh i know why he is like that i just find it funny how the "controversial" romance is he easiest one to do.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
Good on em! I am glad that the company is taking a stand on this issue. People who are offended by it can just not play that part of the game.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I know there are people out there who object to this, but there are gamers too? Really? I think you deserve to have your title of "gamer" stripped from you then.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This was good to read.

Now I almost feel obligated to let my male human warrior have a bit of a fling with Zevran before helping Morrigan create her demon baby.

I'm already romancing Zevran with my female human mage, though, so maybe not.

But maybe.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Is it wrong and sexist that the first thing that popped into my head was "Yay more lesbian relationships!"?
Though in truth, all of DA:O's relationships were well written and well done, the sex scenes... weren't, but that's besides the point. I found Zevran's in particular to be pretty gripping simply because it reveals a lot more depth than he's initially believed to have.
Also, because he's awesome!
Press B to thrust o.o.

But this is a good thing for Bioware to stand on what they believe in.
Cookie for you Bioware.

Susano

Dec 25, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
I know there are people out there who object to this, but there are gamers too? Really? I think you deserve to have your title of "gamer" stripped from you then.
Go read like any thread concerning homosexuality in games. Even take a glance at Extra Credits' thread of their episode "Sexual Diversity".

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I don't get why people complain about something, that's only optional. If the same sex relatinship was forced on the player, then I would understand why some wouldn't like it. But as long as the players can say no to that, it's just ridiculous.

thezookeeper

Sep 2, 2010
Athinira said:
Now that ME has run for two games already, it's probably too late to change Shephard to be gay. It would ruin everything that has already been established in the character.
How does liking dudes change the "established" character?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Bioware has been my favourite game company for a long time, and this has just sealed the deal, while i imagine that there isnt much flak about this, the shear fact that they stood their ground and pretty much said tough luck to the complainers.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
thezookeeper said:
Athinira said:
Now that ME has run for two games already, it's probably too late to change Shephard to be gay. It would ruin everything that has already been established in the character.
Considering the age and complete lack of any displayed same-sex interest so far coupled with obvious opposite sex interest having been displayed, you don't think it would be a little strange.

What if in the 3rd game they turned him into a Krogan?

Can't say what will happen other than bioware will do whatever they end up doing.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
spartandude said:
Bioware has been my favourite game company for a long time, and this has just sealed the deal, while i imagine that there isnt much flak about this, the shear fact that they stood their ground and pretty much said tough luck to the complainers.
I've only seen the opposite.

How dare Bioware make an exclusively hetrosexual character, this makes ME and anyone who works for Bioware suck.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
thezookeeper said:
Athinira said:
Because the character has been established as straigth in the first two games (including in the tendencies for aliens).

Now before someone mentions female shephard romances with Asari (Liara, Morinth, Samara), they have been portrayed as having some sort of special sexual influence on other species. If you ever watched the Bachelor Party conversation in the Eternity Bar on Illum, you would have listened to how the participants start arguing whether the Asari dancer looks more like their own species or not, and i think we can assume that this special attraction works cross-gender as well.

"That body... She looks like a Turian"
"What are you talking about? She looks more like a Salarian!"

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Bioware, good for you. Sticking with your guns. My fanboyism of your company is warranted for another few years, at least.

I am pleased. Now more lesbian romance options, yes?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
The man speak what is simply the result of common sense and decency.

If they're as sensible when it comes to designing gameplay and plot, then this'll be one to watch.