Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and all things there-of.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Ok, as this thread has some momentum behind it I won't go into a massive rant, but I will say a few things that have either pissed me off, or that I enjoy, in no specific order. So let's begin:

1) Hitboxes. I thought Dark Souls was taking the piss with it's hitboxes, but holy mother of god DBX is drunk with some of it's attacks. I warn you now: DO NOT USE ANY OF FRIEZA's SKILLS BESIDES THE SUPERNOVA. They are beyond useless and imposible to land. Death Beam might be usefull, but it's range is pathetic, and the damage is the same. If you want a close range defensive ki move, go with explosive wave. Death Slicer is the most retarded piece of trash I have seen ... I actually went out on a limb and cheated so the AI stoped moving, parked my ass a decent range from him and fired away. From 10 disks, fired a stationary target, maybe 1 or 2 would hit. The others would fly straig over the head of the target, AND I WAS USING FUCKING RECOME AS A DUMY. These 2 stick to my mind because as I am talking I've just thank the holy one finished the frieza mentor program, but they are not the only ones. Also, the hitboxes problem is a major thing in mele as well, I could beat the crap out of cell in a fist fight, but gohan, frieza 1st form and effin krillin just sit there as my guy impotently punches the air above their heads ... I'm sory for making a tall character game. You want to troll a melle guy? Make a frieza clan in the smallest posible size and half his punches at least will miss you just because the hitboxes are fucked. And probably half his moves as well. I am not a fighting game expert, but the fact that this game gets away with hitboxes so shity and aiming so retarded is beyond me.

2) Enviroment Damage. You know the best thing about watching dbz? Seeing someone getting his face grounded into the dirt so he leaves a massive gnash in the ground for miles. Or an entire mountain obliterated in one ki-wave. Yeah, there's none of that here. When I first fired a ki-wave and saw the awesome scars on the ground I thought this was going to be fun ... for 2 seconds then mother earth turned out to be a namekian and healed up all the damage. Way to make me feel like I'm firing some planet destroing stuff game. On that note: remember BT 3 I think it was? Where if you used frieza's ultimate (or any big ball of death thingy) and hit, the stage would change to destroyed namek with lava and chaos and awesome? Yeah, good times.

3) The RNG. Oh yeah ... it's bad. How bad? You have to pray the your loot spawns, as you are praying that the boss spawns bad. At the time of this writting, I've done Cell Games Begin 5 times. Each of those 5 times, I leave Gohan as the last one alive, as I know this SHOULD trigger him turning SS2 and dropping that. Of those 5 times, Gohan became an SS2 precisly 0 TIMES! It's bad enough I will have to fight him 3-4 times to actually get the fucking drop, but he doesn't even turn with any sort of reliability! What the actual fuck devs? And on that note:

4) The secondary objectives. Get an online guide and you will have saved yourself hours of insanity my friends. Some of these are beyond obscure to figure out, especially since the game decides to tell you nothing about how they are done, until after you've done them. I'll just list my favorite example: The secret objectives in the mission Legendary Super Sayan are to spawn Vegeta, and to defeat him when he turns SS. The mission normaly goes like this: you spawn on namek, fight some frieza army guys, then frieza shows up, you fight him in all his sadly 3 forms (1st form, final form, full power, sory guys no horned muscle guy and no alien parody here) and gg. So how do you get Vegeta? Well first, you beat the army guys. Then, when frieza appears, you have to have the inspiration to go inside frieza's ship through a portal and there you will recruit krillin. You go back outside, and then, let Krillin die. This will trigger Goku to spawn and go SS, and you can go pick flowers while he deals with Frieza. When Frieza finally reaches Full Power, Vegeta shows up out of butt-fuck nowhere and you have to make sure he doesn't die. Done all that? Congrats, you now have an arbitrary chance of Vegeta turning SS and fighting you and Goku. What's that? I did everything, but the mission just ends? Yeah I know. Try again. Welcome to the world of RNG.

5) The AI. Oh god, the AI ... ok you know what? Fuck it. This is not worthy of beeing called AI. It's pathetic, stupid, and games programed in DOS had better AI than this. Moving on.

6) The variety of moves. They did a good job letting you pimp up your guy with most of the moves in the universe. That said, I would say roughly 75% of the moves are useless. Starting with anything that is in the category of "massive barage of ki blasts". For some idiot reason, instead of firing off a massive voley that converges ona target, your guy will sit there, unleashing a massive torrent of fire ... that spreads in all directions except the target it's supposed to hit. Sadly, this includes most the moves shenron gives through wishes. Generaly though, I would avoid any AOE style attack in the game, with one exception: Giant Storm. It's a pain to get it, but oh me oh my is it sweet to use.

7) The races. Well, it's awesome to have so many to choose from, and they all have a specific style that they excel in. Also, the customization options are varied and fun to use. That said: sayans have goten the most love. The SS transforms are preety fucking broken unless you abuse a very specific build against them. That said, they do plan to release new transformations for the other races, including a new super-mode for frieza clan, which will be shown in the new movie they are making.

This game has problems, big ones. Yet I find that I just can't stop playing. It's got something that simply draws me back in. However, if you are not a DBZ fan (and are somehow reading this thread) I would advise against buying this. As just a fighting game, it's just to flawed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I've been enjoying it despite all those flaws. I got a pretty sweet earthling build. Pretty well balanced for Ki strikes and blasts and since I finished Piccolo's training I feel like I've accomplished something. I'm currently training under Vegeta. My biggest gripe are getting all the loot because there's no detailed info on what's required to get them, but it's so much fun I don't have a problem replaying the fights for now.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I made a female Saiyan named Kinoko(mushroom). I haven't messed with multiplayer because I usually dislike it. It's a fun time waster so far, but it isn't a game I can play for long stretches of time.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I am undecided on whether or not to buy that game. I love Dragon Ball, but I don't like the whole time travel nonsense plot (assuming that is the plot); also as much as I love the idea of creating my own character and fighting along side Goku and the others, something just doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
I am undecided on whether or not to buy that game. I love Dragon Ball, but I don't like the whole time travel nonsense plot (assuming that is the plot); also as much as I love the idea of creating my own character and fighting along side Goku and the others, something just doesn't feel right and I can't put my finger on it.
Unfortunately, that pretty much is the plot, as far as I can tell. Evil people are making things in history change for the worse and you've gotta stop them. The premise never changes or throws any twists in at least as far as I've gotten through the Majin Buu saga.

The biggest draw for me is just being able to see all the cool attacks, really. And the opportunity to play with friends, though they all far outpaced me in terms of progress...so that's kind of not a possiblity. I don't regret my purchase but I'd say anyone having doubts should probably look at buying this with a great amount of caution.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Solaire of Astora said:
canadamus_prime said:
Unfortunately, that pretty much is the plot, as far as I can tell. Evil people are making things in history change for the worse and you've gotta stop them. The premise never changes or throws any twists in at least as far as I've gotten through the Majin Buu saga.

The biggest draw for me is just being able to see all the cool attacks, really. And the opportunity to play with friends, though they all far outpaced me in terms of progress...so that's kind of not a possiblity. I don't regret my purchase but I'd say anyone having doubts should probably look at buying this with a great amount of caution.
Yeah, I hate it when time travel is used to undermine canon as I understand it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
shintakie10 said:
I do wish I could figure out why the flashy moves disappear every once in a while though and just show up as flickers.
Are you playing on PC? Try disabling Vsync.
Oh my god that worked. I would kiss you if I could.

The screen tearing is god awful without it, but I'll take that over not being able to see a Kamehameha comin at my face.

Solaire of Astora said:
canadamus_prime said:

While it doesnt do anythin cool or interestin, I actually really dug the cinematics showing what changed from scenario to scenario. The Cell games one was my personal favorite so far, mostly due to Goku's line as his friends are lying broken around him and his son is about to kick it against Cell "It wasn't supposed to be like this..." Then Gohan gets blown away by a triple Kamehameha from Cell and 2 Cell Jr. It was brutal, and great.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
sageoftruth said:
I've been thinking about it. I never got into any DBZ games, but it got overwhelmingly positive user reviews on Steam, and the concept looked impressive.

Still, this thread is making me have second thoughts about getting it. A game that you win by exploiting AI and spamming attacks sounds like it will get old very fast.
And yet, as you can see from most responses, despite all the flaws most people would agree that it's surprisingly fun and addictive. :p

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I bought this game not realizing how multi-player focused it was, for the PS4. I don't have PS+, but I'm thinking about getting it for this game. Can anyone tell me if they feel the online community merits the extra cost, though? Like, is it expansive and fun? It felt a little limited during my brief demo.

Online aside, I have no real complaints. It's a shallow brawler, great for stress relief. The grinding is a bit of a drag, only got my first chara up to level 30 or so. I also hate how, in the parallel time bonus quests, sometimes the bonus fights randomly won't trigger, even if you meet the requirements.

Other than that, smashing Cell's head in with an orange namekian dressed as general blue was fun

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Adam Jensen said:
shintakie10 said:
I do wish I could figure out why the flashy moves disappear every once in a while though and just show up as flickers.
Are you playing on PC? Try disabling Vsync.
Oh my god that worked. I would kiss you if I could.

The screen tearing is god awful without it, but I'll take that over not being able to see a Kamehameha comin at my face.
Screen tearing is gone for me if I also put the frame limit to variable instead of limiting it to 60. Try that too?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
balladbird said:
I bought this game not realizing how multi-player focused it was, for the PS4. I don't have PS+, but I'm thinking about getting it for this game. Can anyone tell me if they feel the online community merits the extra cost, though? Like, is it expansive and fun? It felt a little limited during my brief demo.

Online aside, I have no real complaints. It's a shallow brawler, great for stress relief. The grinding is a bit of a drag, only got my first chara up to level 30 or so. I also hate how, in the parallel time bonus quests, sometimes the bonus fights randomly won't trigger, even if you meet the requirements.

Other than that, smashing Cell's head in with an orange namekian dressed as general blue was fun
As for the Multiplayer, it's kinda hit-or-miss. Most people you'll come up against are likely playing a saiyajin so they can exploit the way SSJ and SSJ 2 allow you to freely spam your ultimate attacks. On this note, however, that's pretty much all the AI does when you come up against an AI whose base-form is SSJ. The thing is spamming big-beam attacks is actually pretty easy to counter and most players I've come up against don't know how to handle the counter when their "just shoot off massive death beams" strategy fails. All you have to do is keep flying around until the beam fires off, once it does just swoop around behind them and wait for the beam to end (otherwise you'll take a few hits, even if you're nowhere near the beam when behind them). Once it's done you proceed to just pummel the crap out of them.

So in other words, the multiplayer vs can be pretty cheesey, but I've also had some genuinely good fights in it too.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
balladbird said:

As for the Multiplayer, it's kinda hit-or-miss. Most people you'll come up against are likely playing a saiyajin so they can exploit the way SSJ and SSJ 2 allow you to freely spam your ultimate attacks. On this note, however, that's pretty much all the AI does when you come up against an AI whose base-form is SSJ. The thing is spamming big-beam attacks is actually pretty easy to counter and most players I've come up against don't know how to handle the counter when their "just shoot off massive death beams" strategy fails. All you have to do is keep flying around until the beam fires off, once it does just swoop around behind them and wait for the beam to end (otherwise you'll take a few hits, even if you're nowhere near the beam when behind them). Once it's done you proceed to just pummel the crap out of them.

So in other words, the multiplayer vs can be pretty cheesey, but I've also had some genuinely good fights in it too.
I've found not going into ranked helps a ton in multiplayer vs. Sure there's no stakes, but people aren't as likely to go batshit insane with the beam spam.

angryscotsman93

Dec 27, 2008
Is this game worth it? I'm not a huge DBZ fan (well, haven't been since I was, what, ten?), but this game looks pretty sweet. Is it worth the fifty bucks?

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
XDSkyFreak said:
3) The RNG. Oh yeah ... it's bad. How bad? You have to pray the your loot spawns, as you are praying that the boss spawns bad. At the time of this writting, I've done Cell Games Begin 5 times. Each of those 5 times, I leave Gohan as the last one alive, as I know this SHOULD trigger him turning SS2 and dropping that. Of those 5 times, Gohan became an SS2 precisly 0 TIMES! It's bad enough I will have to fight him 3-4 times to actually get the fucking drop, but he doesn't even turn with any sort of reliability! What the actual fuck devs? And on that note:

4) The secondary objectives. Get an online guide and you will have saved yourself hours of insanity my friends. Some of these are beyond obscure to figure out, especially since the game decides to tell you nothing about how they are done, until after you've done them. I'll just list my favorite example: The secret objectives in the mission Legendary Super Sayan are to spawn Vegeta, and to defeat him when he turns SS. The mission normaly goes like this: you spawn on namek, fight some frieza army guys, then frieza shows up, you fight him in all his sadly 3 forms (1st form, final form, full power, sory guys no horned muscle guy and no alien parody here) and gg. So how do you get Vegeta? Well first, you beat the army guys. Then, when frieza appears, you have to have the inspiration to go inside frieza's ship through a portal and there you will recruit krillin. You go back outside, and then, let Krillin die. This will trigger Goku to spawn and go SS, and you can go pick flowers while he deals with Frieza. When Frieza finally reaches Full Power, Vegeta shows up out of butt-fuck nowhere and you have to make sure he doesn't die. Done all that? Congrats, you now have an arbitrary chance of Vegeta turning SS and fighting you and Goku. What's that? I did everything, but the mission just ends? Yeah I know. Try again. Welcome to the world of RNG.
I have to say, I agree 1000% with this. I must have done The Legendary Super Saiyan mission about 50 times, met all the supposed requirements, and Goku turned Super Saiyan only 3 times, and each time he would then immediately tear Freiza's ass a new hole and cause me to fail the mission. Thank Christ almighty the game actually sold me the Super Saiyan transformations in the shop eventually, because I was tearing out my hair out trying to unlock it. Then I found out that mission is the one where one of the time crystal shards required to unlock the bonus chapter is gotten...

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I have this on xbone, is anyone on the other platforms having as much difficulty with the servers? I literally spent like 10-15 minutes just trying to logged in to single player the other day. I am seriously about to give up based on this thing alone. I've seen server issue complaints other places but I still don't know if this is a xbone problem or just a general fuck up by the devs.

The AI is seriously fucked for me at least i'll be trying to do paralell quests single player and with 2 AI partners fighting 2 enemies i often find myself fighting basically 1 v 2 instead of 3 v 2 like I should. i mean ideally i should be able to leave the AI to deal with one enemy and get to fight more or less 1 on 1 but so far that has never happened.

That said anyone on xbone looking to knock some heads co-op my gamertag is: NightmareGorila
I don't enjoy pvp as much that's just personal preference.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I'm loving it best DBZ game in existence.

Love the character creation, love the game exclusive characters. The game genuinely feels like you are fighting a DBZ battle from the anime.

Only a few changes would be needed to make it perfect
-Saiyan hair needs to stand up when in super saiyan mode.
-More hair options needed.
-They shouldn't have missed the android saga.
-You should be allowed to equip multiple accessories.
-SSJ4 Vegeta being unaccessible to anyone who didn't preorder is bullshit. I'll pay £3 for him.
-They should have just gone wild and given all the saiyans up to SSJ3. It stings for player saiyans not being able to go SSJ3 makes me feel jealous and inferior to Goku. I guess thats a point in the games favour! as thats how everyone in DBZ must feel looking at you Tien and Vegeta.
-You should be allowed to custom colour all equipment. That will make everyone look less My original character do not steal, if you know what I mean.
-Slightly higher ceiling for flying. You can never get high enough to be flying over the buildings/rock formations. In DBZ most fights are done quite high up. And yes I am a fan of the sky stage.

Sep 14, 2009
angryscotsman93 said:
Is this game worth it? I'm not a huge DBZ fan (well, haven't been since I was, what, ten?), but this game looks pretty sweet. Is it worth the fifty bucks?
it's honestly hard to say if you're on the line.

I've rented/dabbled in some of the dbz games before, but this is definitely the one that made me say "yeah, this is what I've been waiting for". It hit the sweet spot of customizing/stat building/story campaign while still being a fun brawler. Sure, not balanced all that well yet, and there are plenty of flaws you could point out...doesn't stop it from being hella fun and nostalgic.

MAYBE not worth 50 bucks, depending on how deep your pockets are...but it's definitely worth it at some point.

I would definitely look up some more in depth reviews and if there are any let's plays so you can see not JUST the combat, but the other stuff in the game as well to get a full feel for it.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
While it has issues there is something satisfying punching around AI forever with a female Buu. I also love how well done the female buu is. She actually looks reasonable and not like a sex object.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403123180

She's just awesome. I can equip better gears but I like the style of those. She's a full out melee character with Piccolos Kami soul that regen HP. In SP I'm just invincible, unless I get hit by SSj ultimates 4-6 times in a row I will not die.
I can use my ultimates myself without much of a problem too.

But the issues I got with it.

In online PQ I need to have finished a stage before I can get a rank on it. So if I struggle with a stage I can't exactly get help on it.
Items and skills are not shared in MP and if someone kills the person that drops that said item only he will get it. This is just bad.
Ranking is also not combine when playing with others so even if you all ace the map in a short time only one guy will get a good score.

Too much RNG on items and skill drops. I'd be fine if you had to achieve certain things to get it like maybe a 20 hit combo or get in 2-3 ultimates on the guy.

Can't invite people to the story mode.

SSj form is far too powerful and have no negative side effect. You can refill your energy by just charging which will increase the time. Ultimates cost no energy and only SS can use it. No other race have this type of advantage. It should be impossible to regen Ki in this mode imo because that would balance it out.

Babysitting quest can be quite annoying. Specially in story mode and closer to the end.

The good looking equips have bad stats or boost the wrong stats. The equips with good stats often doesn't look good.

But I still like it and got over 40 hours I believe.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The only thing bothering me is the extreme difficulty curve, it starts going off the hook really early in the game