Dragons Are Coming To Minecraft

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm more inclined to think that the Bethesda-Dragons thing is a coincidence. People have been asking for dragons for over a year now, and he's always been coy about it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
It's pretty incredible how Notch can release a few screenshots and get tons of press. As for the important thing, specifically the topic of dragons in Minecraft, they'll be a nice addition if handled properly. But my main problem is that Re-Logic already beat Mojang to it [http://i.imgur.com/8cFIa.png].

I'm sorry, but I gotta go with my gut; Terraria 1.1 will be better than whatever Minecraft 2.0 throws at it.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Valok said:
Blunderboy said:
Well this is really going to help with that legal battle. :p
My first thought.

I'm actually inclined to think he did that just to piss then.
Or just to try and piss off Bioware as well with his new game "Giant Flying Lizards that Breath Fire - Time"
But I shudder to think of Activisions adventure into the fantasy world.

Giant Flying Lizards that Breath Fire - Duty : Modern Dragonfare

I wonder what Dragons get as kill streaks.... Summon bigger fish?

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Boys, bust out the rowing boats! we've dragons to hunt!

OOOOOHHHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEHHHHHEEEEEEEEE OOOOOHHHHHHHHH.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Can you say "boss fight"? I think this is great. It's one of the things I really felt that Minecraft fell short on in terms of combat. Sure there were dungeons and all, but all the while you were still focusing on exploration. There was never a real combat objective like the Eater of Worlds in Terraria.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
I'm sorry, but I gotta go with my gut; Terraria 1.1 will be better than whatever Minecraft 2.0 throws at it.
Apples and oranges. You're talking about two games that scratch two completely different itches. Terraria is about gear collecting and boos stomping, Minecraft is about survival and creativity.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
samsonguy920 said:
Maeta said:
Aprilgold said:
dmase said:
Wait does bethseda have dragons copyrighted too?
No, but they'll be pissed, thus the cat has something to say.

Rhys95 said:
Hey Bethesda......

U Mad Bro?
Yeah, even though they don't have any claim on dragons, the fact that Skyrim features them heavily, and then after the lawsuit has drawn so much attention, Notch sticking them in does seem a bit of a middlefinger to Bethesda, basically it makes him look a bit of a twat, in honesty. I know that there's no real reason for him not to include them, but the timing is a bit shitty. I would have at least waited until the whole thing is resolved. There's also the rumour going round that he's doing double-wielding, which Skyrim boasts as a feature, for the full Minecraft release one week afterwards, and he only considered this after Skyrim announced it...

Yeah, I know that Bethesda will have no claim to stop him from doing this, but it does seem a bit wrong. If anyone could come up with an analogy for this, then that would be appreciated, because I'm drawing a very rare blank in this instance, maybe just due to fatigue
Dragons have been planned for Minecraft long before Mojang started work on Scrolls. What would be wrong here is if Notch decided not to go with implementing dragons just because Bethesda started being all crybaby about it. Besides, Minecraft is not related to Scrolls in any way short of being made by the same company.
Seriously, people, get your heads out of the legal gutter already and enjoy what is being wrought here.
Well, I honestly thought that it was Jeb who wanted dragons (and not that long ago) and Notch rejected it at first until now, but nevermind, let this not detract from the fact that I think dragons are a bad idea, especially if they make them rideable, as some people have suggested above, though Mojang seem down on this idea anyway, which is a good thing.
The issue with dragons is that they are so unoriginal, as well as the fact that they would no doubt partially buttfuck the processor, hence why they don't want them rideable.
Thing is, that when you look at the initial sketch dragon thing in the image provided, it's so thoroughly articulated, and so will cause all sorts of issue, as they are more complex than the other mobs, but even accounting for this, what kind of mob will they be? People were all excite about the Endermen then got pissed when they wrecked their houses, which I'm sure dragons no doubt would with fire or whatever they will do.
I guess my biggest problem with dragons is that they are overused and not exactly all that exciting anymore. Yes, the sky is under-represented in terms of mobs, but I think there should be more underwater content first, as in maybe a hostile underwater mobs because the water is really somewhere to go, whereas the sky isnt, and flying mobs are going to be so much harder to get away from, surely, and eventually, people will no doubt cool on the whole idea of the dragons and may even turn against them...

lunam-kardas

Jul 21, 2011
If I could get my character to time it perfectly and jump onto the back of this creature I would cry out "I AM KING OF EVERYTHING"

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I wanna capture it and tame it and make it my personal fire-breathing plane.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Also, the creative folks specifically said that it is just a legal move to protect the value of their trademark and that they HAVE to go through the legal process to ensure that they do not get shafted by actual impostors later on.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113531-Bethesda-Doesnt-Enjoy-Being-Forced-into-Mojang-Lawsuit

OT:
Dragons ? Neat... I do want better server coding first though. Still have to scrounge several miles of dungeon to get slimeballs for my nasty deathtraps. Nether not working too well either etc. and where is the modders api again ?

Yes - it's a long wishlist but I think there are other things mojang should deal with then introducing another mob or even a complete new plane of existance.

The game still rocks hard... creative sandboxing ftw.

TheAweDude

May 18, 2010
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Anyone else think MineCraft is loosing it's flare that made it great?
I'm sorry, but your comment, avatar and the content of this article made that comment the best I've read.

OT:
It would be fun to see a few Spider Jockeys and a Dragon duke it out.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I can't wait to watch an NPC village get burnt to the ground by one of those. Fortunately after accidentally burning down a few of my own houses I build fire proof ones now. So this won't nessisarily be a bad thing.

sumanai

Jan 17, 2008
Jacob Haggarty said:
Just seems to be baiting bethesda a bit... i know that dragons aren't really one of those things that people CAN own, but what with the whole legal battle going on, it seems a bit cheeky to announce that your game is going to feature something that the company that is taking you to court is also featuring in THEIR game.
But what would be the right time? If Notch would wait until after a court decision he'd either: 1) have won and therefore appear to be rubbing it in (bad winner) OR 2) have lost and therefore appear to be making a childish last dish effort to anger Bethesda (bad loser). By the time the lawsuit was issued it was too late to reveal dragons at all.

About dragons being overused: And skeletons aren't? And zombies aren't? And giant spiders aren't? Seriously, think about how many fantasy worlds contain giant spiders and compare those with how many have dragons. Yet giant spiders are not considered cliched for some reason, which to me make them even worse.

@LorienvArden of course Bethesda were "forced" to it. In what situation would they claim otherwise? Think about it. Either Bethesda is doing what they think is right, in which case they believe it's true and say they were forced. Or they're intentionally being dicks, in which case, knowing it would anger the people, they wouldn't tell the truth and would lie they're forced.

It doesn't matter what the truth is or which one is on the right, they'll both declare innocence at least until after the lawsuit has been handled in the court. In fact, it's likely that both sides believe they're on the right in this case. Which one is, is for the court to decide.