Dragon's Crown: Introducing The Amazon

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
WarpZone said:
I want to punch your website repeatedly for using a picture of the Sorceress instead of the Amazon. How would that even work, by the way? All the searching is done using text strings, right? So the only way they could get your misleading thumbnail is by googling for "Dragon's Crown Amazon." So they're gonna see the picture of the Sorceress in their search results and go "nope, that's not it."

Misleading headlines are one thing, but this is just confusing. If this actually bumps your numbers, please let me know. Because I just... this shouldn't work. I can't think of a pathway that would MAKE it work.

Unless they just saw the thumbnail, read the headline, mentally substituted "Introducing the Sorceress," and went "Oh boy, internet controversy!" *click.*

But if that's the case, why not just link to the Sorceress reveal from the frontpage again? If that's what people came for... just give it to them.

Trying to trick them with the wrong thumbnail makes no sense to me, any way I slice it.
Or, alternatively, I try to stick to one particular thumbnail per game because it makes them easier to find in the jumble of different thumbnails.

Regardless, since this is apparently a huge deal to some people, I changed the thumbnail to something more relevant.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
You know, I approve of artistic liberty. We are also allowed to not or not like what the artists draw or not.

That being said, I feel a weird mix of strangeness and arousal with the females of this game. If I buy it I will be to embarassed to play it with anyone.

Final words: The industry needs more people with art styles that are not fanservice instead of making the artists that like it to not draw it.

RetroMenace

Dec 29, 2009
Grey Carter said:
WarpZone said:
I want to punch your website repeatedly for using a picture of the Sorceress instead of the Amazon. How would that even work, by the way? All the searching is done using text strings, right? So the only way they could get your misleading thumbnail is by googling for "Dragon's Crown Amazon." So they're gonna see the picture of the Sorceress in their search results and go "nope, that's not it."

Misleading headlines are one thing, but this is just confusing. If this actually bumps your numbers, please let me know. Because I just... this shouldn't work. I can't think of a pathway that would MAKE it work.

Unless they just saw the thumbnail, read the headline, mentally substituted "Introducing the Sorceress," and went "Oh boy, internet controversy!" *click.*

But if that's the case, why not just link to the Sorceress reveal from the frontpage again? If that's what people came for... just give it to them.

Trying to trick them with the wrong thumbnail makes no sense to me, any way I slice it.
Or, alternatively, we try to stick to one particular thumbnail per game because it makes them easier to find.

Regardless, since this is apparently a huge deal to some people, I changed the thumb nail to be more relevant.
Okay, I can understand using the same picture for a game for easy organization, but it just seems a little bit weird to use a different character than the one that's being talked about for a thumbnail. Like, the game's title or something like that would've made more sense in my opinion.

Regardless, it's your article so you can do whatever I want. And it is a pretty good read... and that picture of the amazon river actually made me chuckle quite a bit, so I'll give you props on that.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I am okay with this conclusion.

At some point I'm really bored of the "discussion" that doesn't really go anywhere (yes, we need to talk about it, but we don't actually do so, just dither about on the same talking point), so for now I'm just gonna see how the game plays.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
You know what, to me, the game looks like it could be a lot of fun, and to tell you the truth, I kinda like the over-the-top art-style (even the oversized flapping mammaries of the sorceress). I actually find the art-style refreshing change from all these attempts at realism; if I want realism, I simply wake-up in the morning. I don't pay some game developer $60 to fail at it. Even more so, when I play a game, reality is the one thing of which I don't want to be constantly reminded. I want a fantasy world that consistently operates by its own rules that I can immerse myself into as a break from reality. Even more, I grew up on the side-scrolling beat-'em-ups of the 80's, and, like many geeks, I love fantasy. So, something like this has perfect appeal to me. To me, this game has style because an artist actually sat down and came up with an actual look and feel to the game, rather than trying to blindly calculate his way to blandness.

A word on the sorceress' oversized flapping boobs: grow-up guys. They're just body parts. Let's move on. Maybe I've just gotten old such that sort of thing just doesn't shock me into a religious fervor anymore. Yeah, I like T&A the same as any other heterosexual male, however, I don't have to lose my mind about it in every context in which I see it. I like to think I have much better control over myself and my reactions than that. Also, I take the viewpoint of a particular passage from The Bible: Sin comes from within, not from without. Basically, it means that one's issues are the result of one's thinking and perspective on matters, not the things you see, hear, touch, etc. You are the one that decides and determines your reaction in any given situation, not the things going on around you, and certainly not other people. The problem with the sorceress isn't her big flapping boobs; the problem is people's reactions and thinking concerning such imagery. Honestly, folks, there actually are women (I've seen them, and I'm sure some of you all have, too) in real-life who have large breasts, just as proportionally large as the sorceress'; yet, we don't launch into a massive crusade to have all such women undergo immediate breast reduction surgery. Really, think about your reaction and the real reason you are reacting the way you do. Yeah, seeing the sorceress' boobs make me laugh only because they are just ridiculous, but I feel I have a bit more control over myself, my emotions, and my reactions that I don't have to lose my mind and feel hyper-offended just cause I see them. Honestly, if they were really that problematic or offensive to me, I just simply wouldn't buy the game, no need to launch into a crusade.

Now, having said all that, I do understand that the video game industry has a basic "Boy's Clubhouse" bias that seriously needs to be addressed. Honestly, speaking as a male, I would actually be thrilled at seeing the introduction of games that directly appealed to female carnal desires simply because, while that may not be the best approach to achieving a mature balance and dialog on the overall issue or approaching sexuality in games, it would at least introduce some parity in the content of video games. If you're going to be lewd and sexist, might as well go all the way and fully explore the gamut.

(By the way, the elf looks like the most fun to me, but that's because I always like playing physical ranged characters.)

Just my opinion.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Regardless, since this is apparently a huge deal to some people, I changed the thumbnail to something more relevant.
You have all my love.

(I laughed out loud when I saw the new thumbnail on the front page after reading some of the discussion in here.)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Oh Grey you snarky bastard. I C what u did thar.

OT: I love Vanillaware's design, both in gameplay and visuals (seriously, Muramasa is like a painting in motion and a very good beat em up to boot, go play it.) so I'm super excited for this, controversy be damned. Also I think this needs to be said more often in relation to said controversy: lol Kotaku.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I dunno, this character kinda looks more like she was designed by Rob Liefeld. I mean, look at that woman's spine. SPINES DON'T WORK LIKE THAT!!!

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
look i dont mind half naked characters, i grew up on golden axe for crying out loud, but come on that just looks ugly. whats wrong with your spine, your ass is not meant to be 5 feet from it at all times, its like there having a bad break up and neither want to be seen in the same room.

*starts working on a new SITcom*

dont worry i hate myself for that one there

im going to say that i see what they were trying to do with this character, come on it looks like a old fantasy movie vibe and thats honestly awesome, and the game looks fun and all, But it just urked me a bit just looking at that one.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Grey Carter said:

Bravo.

Between this thumbnail, and the Guacamelee article as a whole, I've chuckled quite a bit at your news posts today

[sub]Not to say I don't normally but today's were pretty excellent [/sub]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Or, alternatively, I try to stick to one particular thumbnail per game because it makes them easier to find in the jumble of different thumbnails.

Nice. I see what you did there and I think your avatar deserves sunglasses for that one.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Nope, still don't like the head of a small child on the body of steroid junkie look.

Really not digging it.
cannot...unsee

cannot... 0_O

~

in other news, to thread

Grey is awesome, leave him alone

D: T_T

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Gonna get this to piss off the White Knights.

Also cause I love brawlers.
Gonna get this because VANILLAWARE FUCKING SPRITES PEOPLE.
They're a work of art.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Riobux said:
Her thighs still creep me out. Why are they so blocky?
Because she eats
every day for breakfast. :/ They go right to the thighs.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Okay, the new thumbnail was an inspired choice.

I get the 'one thumbnail per game' idea, but I really do think using just the sorceress for Dragon's Crown was a bad choice. People are already acting like that image of her is the sum total of the game's content and there's really no reason to choose her as the face of the game other than to fan controversy (none of the official material seems to present her any more prominently than the rest of the cast); it just comes off as kind of a sleazy and opportunistic journalism practice.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Still looking good.

piinyouri said:
Gonna get this because VANILLAWARE FUCKING SPRITES PEOPLE.
They're a work of art.
Yeah this.

Aiddon said:
Ah the Amazon, voiced by Atsuko Tanaka (a.k.a. Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell. Also Impa in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
It either had to be her, or Eri Nakao (who voiced the equally buff Raijin in Muramasa)