Driving: Using your turn signals.

KB Rocker

Sep 27, 2009
Recently my best friend was hit by a car the person in the car wasn't using turn his signals. My friend thought the man was going straight on instead the man turned in on the road my friend was on, and broke my friends Femur.

It's mistakes like these that no one pays attention to. So I was thinking what others think about using their own turn signals.

Please explain your opinion. To me it's lazy and just completely inexcusable.

I'm not saying I don't forget the odd time but it's something I'd particularly pay attention to.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
It's one of the most important things to do when you're piloting your multi-tonne steel box. Anyone who doesn't should have their bloody licence revoked.

And learn how to indicate around islands, damn you! Don't indicate AS YOU'RE TURNING INTO THE TURN YOU'RE TAKING!

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I do it 99% percent of the time, mainly because I'm a fairly new driver and it's not something I want to forget to do in the future. The only time I don't do it is when I'm on back roads and I'm pretty sure no one is around, and even then most of the time I still use the signals.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yeah. Blinkers are used TO TELL OTHER DRIVERS WHAT YOU'RE DOING. They're not just a formality. If you're about to change lanes in front of someone put your damn blinker on FIRST so they know what you're doing and don't speed up at the same time.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I use my turn signals almost without fail(95%). I despise it when people don't. It's unsafe and lazy. There have been far too many close calls with people almost hitting me or my friends and family(both in and out of a car). And it makes me even angrier that the lazy people get mad at you because you didn't read their mind to know that they wanted to merge.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I always use them if I can, but occasionally if one is on a road one doesn't know there is no time to do it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'm not allowed to drive yet, but I remember a while ago, I hadn't practiced since long ago, and I forgot the car even had turn signals.

Turn signals are important.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
They are ungodly important, forgot to use them at a 4 way stop and almost got hit becasue the other driver thought I was going straight so he went as well,luckily we avoided collision. Though I am a bit lax about them in turn only lanes.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
What I like is how people use signals as a means of claiming space on the road. A couple times on a highway I had some douchebags honking at me like crazy people just because I didn't see they put their signals on to request changing lanes, but it's not like I would have cared and let them in, it wasn't even dire for them to change lanes right then.

You have to always assume everyone is going to do the wrong thing, or else you get hit like the dude in the OP.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
If there are other people around I signal. If its me an a gopher, not so much. Not that it'd understand what that meant anyways.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I despise people who don't use their turn signals with a passion that borders on the psychotic.
The fact that they're ignoring a safety feature, designed to keep multi-thousand pound metal boxes from smashing into each other at speed suggests that they're either fuckwits or self-absorbed prickmongers.
To me, anyway.
Because I hate them so much, I make damn sure I use mine all the time.
Changing lanes? *flick*
Turning into somewhere? *flick BEFORE I start braking*
Using a turn lane? *flick*
Such a very simple thing to do.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I always use mine.

But here's the thing: when vehicles are concerned, always assume everyone else on the road is a retard. Assume they're making a left when they have no blinker on, and you'll be hard pressed into getting into an accident. On top of that, I ALWAYS assume every pedestrian is afflicted with down syndrome and it's likely to come blazing across the street chasing an imaginary ball.

Pedestrians, perhaps, should think the same.

Not saying it was your friends fault, only that perhaps he will have learned a lesson from this.

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
I always signal if there's other people around me. I use it as what its intended for: to tell people around me what my intentions are
It does annoys the hell out of me when people turn at an intersection and dont signal, but I'm generally a pretty cautious driver, so its never been really dangerous for me.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I'm a very new driver, and I'm petrified of making a mistake, so I've been doing all this stuff obsessively. It's unnerving when other people don't though, because it means having to react suddenly.

Just assume that everyone else on the road is an idiot, incapable of doing anything properly, and it helps a lot.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I always signal, but I only go in that direction 1/3 of the time.

GOTTA KEEP PEOPLE ON THEIR TOES

Chainsaw_Chuck

Dec 7, 2010
I fucking hate people who don't use turn signals.

Having said that, I don't use turn signals in parking lots when there's not so many people around.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
My biggest pet peeve on the road, I used them to let people know what ball i'm scratching! You can't just go and cross 4 lanes of highway without signaling and then flip someone off that called you on your bullshit!