Drone Hunting License In the Works In Colorado Town

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
lacktheknack said:
Pyrian said:
lacktheknack said:
Are YOU going to send your multi-million dollar bots to a zone where it's legal and encouraged to fill them with buckshot?
First off, a local authority issuing a license doesn't make it legal. Second, buckshot can't reach them at their cruising altitude. Third, the places they're currently deployed to are much more hostile, and probably better armed to boot.

So, yeah, sure, no problem.
DVS BSTrD said:
lacktheknack said:
DVS BSTrD said:
lacktheknack said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Let's see how gung-ho these morons are when they realize the drones can shoot back.
And they'd better not pretend they give a shit about government spending when they go out of their way to damage government property. They'll be paying more for the repairs then they will for the licenses. But hey, as long as their tax dollars aren't going to welfare programs for illegal immigrants.
You're implying that, if the proposal passes, the government will send any drones towards Deer Trail.

It's called "deterrent".
If the government doesn't send any drones to survey Deer Tail, it will be because FUCK ALL happens in Deer Tail
http://caitlinliveblogs.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/hahaha-no-transformers.gif?w=600
And why the hell not?

Are YOU going to send your multi-million dollar bots to a zone where it's legal and encouraged to fill them with buckshot?
If they can fly a mile in the sky and piss off rednecks then yeah. Dumb asses think they can intimidate the CIA?
Wait wait wait, I thought it was an observation drone thing.

You know, the unarmed ones that actually have to get close to be more effective than a satellite.
Uh... you DO know how high a mile up is compared to a satellite in orbit right?
And you also know that they use these things in areas where people already try to shoot them down, and that they've been operating them in those places for 10 years and counting?
Has portable camera tech really gotten that good? Huh. Passed me right on by.

And I thought they were sending the heavily armored combat drones out to the hostile areas.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Cookiegerard said:
Just a thought. You shoot down a drone flying over a town. Drones are made of metals, be light weight or not, so when you shoot it down, you have a rain of metal. In a town. A rain of metal lumps and/or shards in a town filled with people. Even if they are made of plastics, it is still a rain of large lumps and or/ pointy bits of said plastic.
It would be mostly sharp fiberglass... and some kevlar :p

"The fuselage of the Predator is a mixture of carbon and quartz fibers blended in a composite with Kevlar. Underneath the fuselage, the airframe is supported by a Nomex, foam and wood laminate that is pressed together in layers. Between each layer of laminate, a sturdy fabric is sandwiched in to provide insulation to internal components. The rib work of the structure is built from a carbon/glass fiber tape and aluminum. The sensor housing and wheels are also aluminum."

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Do you know how hard it would be to take down a drone with small arms fire?
Hell even 4 lions got that right.
This is just going to result in a lot of dead hill billies... so a net gain for the gene pool

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You Americans have the strangest solutions to things... how about you tell the government they aren't allowed to fly spy planes in your city instead of endorsing rednecks have a shootout at every sighting of model aircraft.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Also... for some reason when i first saw this article my first thought was that Colorado was issuing licences to hunt animals FROM drones.
IE a drone with a rifle killing Bambi's mom.
That would have officially made Colorado THE MOST AWESOME STATE IN THE UNION.
Alas no.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
Russian_Assassin said:
And some people have the nerve to believe that the Orwellian nightmare society is coming soon. It's already bloody here! Seriously, these people are just introducing more and more shite like this to see how we react. If there is no significant resistance on our behalf, they introduce MORE shite! I mean bloody hell, maybe, just MAAAAYBE the government does NOT have the interest of the people in mind. Maybe they are just venomous power hungry lunatics that wish to completely enslave us! They regard us as pieces of meat (expressed in their scientific popular belief) that they keep in coops like chicken, to feed of of our lives. And they have the nerve to declare humans as free! And we allow this. We just sit there passively, acting like low-consciousness level sodding lizards, eating each other up like cancer, cowering in fear, instead of becoming conscious of the obvious! Look at the way they used problem - reaction - solution techniques to introduce more and more control and insane laws. All this political correctness bullshit that seeks to make you unable to say anything because "you might offend someone". Well, I am offended by you saying I can not offend anyone! Seriously people, how much obvious must it become?
YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! (thunderous applause)

at least someone is trying to stop bending over and submitting to the states bullshit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yeah, this will end well. at least we will get rid of those paranoid idiots hiding thier anarchy under "Freedom" banner.

lacktheknack said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Let's see how gung-ho these morons are when they realize the drones can shoot back.
And they'd better not pretend they give a shit about government spending when they go out of their way to damage government property. They'll be paying more for the repairs then they will for the licenses. But hey, as long as their tax dollars aren't going to welfare programs for illegal immigrants.
You're implying that, if the proposal passes, the government will send any drones towards Deer Trail.

It's called "deterrent".
i HOPE they will send some flying there, just so we could take guns away from more gun-ho morons out there. Its worth the tax money if it means those trigger happy idiots get jailed.

MichiganMuscle77 said:
People take things so literally.

This is just posturing. This is just to show the Government that we don't fucking want to be treated like sheep.
well surely, acting like goats, braindead goats at that, surely will show government that you are nto sheep.

lacktheknack said:
Has portable camera tech really gotten that good? Huh. Passed me right on by.

And I thought they were sending the heavily armored combat drones out to the hostile areas.
when you have 3 billion per year budget it surely does. you can fit a high resolution autofocusing (real focus, not the digital one) 8MPI camera in your phone. what kind of camera do you think a drone with unlimited budget can carry?
HOstile teoritires have seen both. the spybots fly around looking at/for targets, while the armored slower ones come in guns blazing.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Do you want fucking armed drones flying around watching you? How much more 1984 could you get? Granted, they're really going around this the wrong way but I admire their willingness to fight back. Not to mention, 'not giving a shit about government spending'? As if they have any say in it? Their tax dollars are being spent on drones to monitor *YOU* not to protect muh freedums but to watch you, the people, fuck that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Kheapathic said:
I wish my town would adopt something like this. Wouldn't happen though, California is afraid of guns and just about everything else. May need to move to Colorado.
Xan Krieger said:
Here in Mooresville, North Carolina I might have to talk to the mayor, I'd love a law like this. If one of them flies low enough it should be possible to down it.
Yeah and whole Axiom of 'What goes up, must come down' will be ignored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

Chances are those dumb bastards will do more damage than an actual Predator drone strike will.

Besides apart from civilian models and the cheaper human launched UAV's most drones operated above the effective range of rifles because they get deployed in actual combat zones.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
The Wykydtron said:
As an Englishman I have but one thing to say:

Lol America. You are so funny sometimes.

I mean we have some surveillance bullshit going on but actual spy drones? Really? That's like a thing now? Legitimately? A Land of the Free (lol jk) joke is waiting to be told...

First reaction is not to protest against them or anything like that, nope fuckin' destroy them with lasers! Best!
While there has been talk about using drones to patrol the border with Mexico, there is no indication that government has been using them to spy on its own civilians, least of all an obscure town in Colorado. The man is basically paranoid.

However,if people in that town were to take this drone hunting thing seriously this could be a problem. Normally I would regard this drone hunting thing as harmless stupidity since in most parts of the US I doubt you'd see a drone fly over your house. However, as an earlier poster pointed out, they are not too far from an air force base and are even closer to the US Air Force Academy. If they do see a drone fly overhead chances are it will just be on a practice/training flight and not spying on them.

So basically you'd be wasting millions of dollars in taxpayer money (drone repairs)and recklessly endangering the lives of the people due to falling bullets and drone fragments just because you think the government is using drones to spy on you.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Just send some Predator Drones there, they'd probably lose their bravado when they learn the Drones can shoot back.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
DerangedHobo said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Do you want fucking armed drones flying around watching you? How much more 1984 could you get? Granted, they're really going around this the wrong way but I admire their willingness to fight back. Not to mention, 'not giving a shit about government spending'? As if they have any say in it? Their tax dollars are being spent on drones to monitor *YOU* not to protect muh freedums but to watch you, the people, fuck that.
I think the issue here is that the guy is trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...yet. I'm not saying that the government doesn't spy on its people, but I'm sure they don't do so with drones. Granted this may just be purely symbolic and meant to discourage the government from using drones to spy in the future.

On the other hand he may actually believe that drones are being used to spy on US civilians right now. If some drone on a training flight happens to fly overhead and he decides to take a shot at it he is potentially wasting the taxpayers money and endangering the lives of those around him just because he's paranoid. And when you consider the fact that his town isn't too far from an air force base and the air force academy I can definitely see this scenario happening.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Am I the only one who thought this was a hunting license for hunting WITH drones? God, this is a lot better news than I thought it would be.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Kheapathic said:
Mid Boss said:
Kheapathic said:
I wish my town would adopt something like this. Wouldn't happen though, California is afraid of guns and just about everything else. May need to move to Colorado.
Have fun there.

"Steel admitted that he's never actually seen a drone flying over the town"

"the licenses, which would sell for $25 for a year, could be a big source of revenue for the town, stating that they'd "sell like hotcakes."

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online [for a] drone license, that's cool. That's a lot of money to a small town like us"

First of all, shooting up into the sky wildly in populated areas. Nothing bad could EVER come of that. But, mostly, I love how they aren't hiding, at all, that they're preying on people's fears to make money. But morons are still buying it hook, line, and sinker. What a wonderfully fucked up country we live in.

I should run for office. If this is all it takes the manipulate people I'd have the United States wrapped around my finger in a matter of months. I think my election platform will be to blow up the moon in order to keep gay, Muslim, Hispanic, atheist, Hitler from stealing our women and jobs.

Millions would be marching in the streets chanting "Hell no the moon must go!"

I'd be the world's first super villain. My God.... it would be beautiful....
Just remember that when scientists tell you that destroying the moon could cause untold and possibly catastrophic damage to the world due to the tides and such... they're all godless heathens so they can't be trusted. Of course with how things are going now, I'm not sure if that'd carry much weight. I see a lot of division, but no real majority.
Oh, no, that's easy. I would just equate the fiction of "changing tides" and "moon chunks bombarding the earth" with global warming and fear. Here, watch.

"It has come to my attention that the scientific community has stopped preaching about their so called "Global Warming" and have allied themselves against our moon destruction plan. And here, I thought Global Warming was the greatest threat to the world as we know it. I am wondering how much gay, Muslim, Hispanic, atheist, Hitler has promised them in scientific funding to say these blatantly false claims. I have it, on good authority, that none of these so called side affects will happen and that anyone who tells you differently is actually super communists who hates freedom and babies. Stand you ground. Protect your freedom, your jobs, and your children and help me stop gay, Muslim, Hispanic, atheist, Hitler ... and super communism."

See, I don't actually respond to the scientific argument, or even state what the scientific argument is. Then I relate that argument to Hitler, Global Warming, Super Communism, job loss, and child abuse. No one knows what Super Communism is, but it sounds sufficiently frightening. As long as people are afraid, you can make them believe anything you want with little to no effort. That's why questionable news outlets will often drop fear words like terrorism, nazis, Hitler, and communism just to name a few even when the issue at hand has nothing to do with any of those things. It works beautifully.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Valderis said:
LOL, nice.

But I'm still of two minds on this.

On the one hand this is great because it gives pause to the people who make/operate the drones and forces them to make the drones stay out of both the notice and the reach of the people.

On the other hand this will eventually get complicated as we get drones that actually do useful things like "delivering your pizza" being shot for shits and giggles.

Plus all the ways this will end up endangering people lives because we are talking about a hunting ground that is basically your own city or rather close to it. Or people taking it to extremes or finding loopholes and start shooting things they aren't supposed to, things we don't consider to be drones but technically are.

Still, this may just the the right first step, I just hope they're considering the long-term effects of this and work out all the kinks early... *sigh* Of course they won't, but they'll have to eventually.
This is not really much different than the mayor of an eco-nut town issuing hunting licenses for SUVs. A town government does not have the authority to allow its citizens to destroy private or government property in such a manner. It is not really different than me going over to you and wrecking your cell phone because I do not like that you are using it to take my picture.

Are there actually any laws on the books about taking aerial pictures of an area? This kind of law is essentially government sponsored vandalism and it would never survive any court challenge.

Just to mess with people I would love to get one of those licenses and then shoot up any security cameras at the town hall on the premise that they are "essentially" the same thing as a surveillance drone.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
LordLundar said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Also, keep in mind the kinds of guns people use:

If they're shooting at flying targets, then logically, they're going to use a shotgun. Falling shot, even buckshot, lacks the energy to do anything except bonk you on the head a little.

This is assuming The Man sticks to tiny little quad-rotor drones. If it's a predator drone, your going to need a flak cannon.
Only if it's fired exactly straight up where there's no horizontal momentum. If there is it can still be a lethal round and no one is going to be firing straight vertical.

Here's the proof. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076431/Rachel-Yoder-shot-gun-1-5-miles-away-Amish-girl-15-killed-freak-accident.html
That is the difference between a shotgun and a riffle. Shotguns lack the nearly air tight rifled barrel that rifles have, which in turn causes most of the energy to be lost to open air. Since the story you mentioned is a story about rifle rounds, it has little to no bearing on the above comment.

OT: I think this is a horrible idea, and I highly doubt this will end well. Someone somewhere is going to get hurt, either financially or physically over this law.