Dubbed verse Subbed

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Grew up with most of my cartoons being in English with Dutch subtitles, not only the cartoons but also movies and the such. Because of this I have no problem watching a movie with subtitles, I myself would recommend it to smaller children even, it is a great way for children to get accustomed to the sounds of a foreign language. And later on, learn phrases and expressions just by hearing them being said and reading the translation in their own language.

When I watch something, I like it to be in its original language, whether that be English, German, Japanese, Chinese or Spanish. Especially when I'm watching something with real people in it, I can't stand real people's voices getting dubbed over. Every time I flip through some German channels on my tv and see some american movie dubbed in German, I cringe. Although, some older Chinese kung fu movies are quite funny in their dubbed form, left quite the cultural mark on society too.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Abridged. Sure they may completely mock the original, but they are quite often hilarious.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Out of the few I've watched... I prefer subbed.

Dubbed is kind of okay, or was back when I was like, 10. Meh.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Oh hey its this thread again...

Sure you can't objectively define quality, its subjective and each person is different. There are some people who would rather have a McDonalds Big Mac instead of a steak from Ruth's Chris steak house, this is completely fine since it's their own tastes and you do what you want. Thats what English dubs are, Big Macs, the money and time spent on them are hardly a fraction of what you see in Japanese VAs, and the same actors get repeated for every series to make it nice and homogeneous, plus it's something you get used to so its like a comfort food.

Now some people get used to the taste of steak from Ruth's Chris, they're no longer satisfied with the cheap knockoff that is McDonalds, just like those who get used to the Japanese VAs no hardly switch back to the English Dubs.

If you're happy with the quality of English dubs the more power to you, nothing is wrong with liking a Big Mac.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I prefer subbed usually, but there are good dubs, like Haruhi, Cowboy Bebop, Akira and the Studio Ghibli films.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
subs
i started on them
the original language (and voice actors) are more pleasing to the ear for me
and a bad sub usually leads to hilarity (albiet sometimes crude, best example being the "why cant you eat her poo" sub)

NiPah

May 8, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
If this post got any most condescending, the ground would start crying from being talked down to.

The dubbing work done is the U.S. (minus 4kids, obviously) has been phenomenal in 85% of series'. Several works (DBZ, Almost any Gundam, FMA, Cowboy Bebop) the acting has surpassed the original, even by the claim of original actors.

A more apt comparison would be a 5-star Italian Restaurant or an Olive Garden. While the quality isn't entirely perfect at the Olive Garden, it is still damn good, and more comfortable to boot.
No I'm keeping my comparison to a Big Mac, mostly because of Vic Minogna and the pain of working with him in conventions. Christopher Sabat and Lisa Ortiz might be Olive Garden status, but not Vic Micnolia.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Subs for a couple reasons.

#1: Because only a very small percentage of anime are dubbed, I spend most of my time watching subs purely because there is NO other alternative, and thus I'm so used to it that I prefer listening to the Japanese voices and reading subs. I find if I watch a dub, I keep looking for the subs.

#2: I pay more attention to the anime, and the dialogue when I actually have to read the subtitles.

#3: A lot of stuff can kind of get lost in translation when you dub. Especially because most dubs localise pretty heavily as well. Often times reading onii-chan translated as "big brother" can rub me the wrong way. Not all the time. For example, crunchyroll subs are usually pretty darn good even though they are localised pretty well. A lot of cultural meaning can get lost when translated poorly into english. Subs can kind of capture it a little bit better, since they are usually slightly more literal.

#4: And of course, generally the Japanese voice actors are much better suited to the roll, and at least usually sound somewhat into it, whereas most of the english voice actors might as well be reading a particularly boring piece of literature in turn to their high school english class.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Subs.

Being someone from Sweden, I am used to English-speaking movies and tv-shows to have subtitles (unless it's targeted towards children). So when I was watching a continental European channel on TV once, I was really caught off guard witnessing George Clooney speaking German.

So yeah, I prefer when the original language is spoken.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Most of the time, I actually want to watch something, so I'm more inclined towards dubs. The fact of the matter is that I'm the type of person who feels like they have to constantly watch the subtitles, which then distracts me from what's actually happening on screen. Subtitles also mean that I can't really look away, even for a few seconds, for fear of missing something.

I understand how I'm potentially gimping myself (god knows that some of the English dubbing for animes I've watched has been awful), but at least it's less irritating than badly translated subtitles, often with horribly inaccurate grammar (with spelling mistakes to boot).

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
With anything animated I usually go with dubs, but if it's live action I can't stand the dubbing so I put on subtitles. I even use subtitles on English movies a lot of the time so I can watch the movie more quietly. Ha but maybe that's why I fall asleep so easy during movies... On the other hand, the subtitles give you something to focus on to keep awake. Eh, such iz life...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jonluw said:
Subs.
In Norway, dubs are seen as a childrens' thing. When you learn to read at an acceptable speed, you watch shows with subtitles, and I've grown up with this mindset.

That, and I get the Japanese voice acting which is most of the time far better than the English. And I don't have to wait for shows to be dubbed to watch them.

And I'm a bit of a purist. I always want whatever media I consume to be as close to how it was originally intended as possible.
It really annoys me when people try to not only dub, but also localize shows. Ugh.
Yeah, fellow Norwegian here and I got the exact same view when it comes to dubs. Seeing live action shows getting dubbed is the worst, but take Pokemon as an example. That has some of the worst dubbing I've ever seen. It makes the English dub seem fantastic!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Yopaz said:
Jonluw said:
Subs.
In Norway, dubs are seen as a childrens' thing. When you learn to read at an acceptable speed, you watch shows with subtitles, and I've grown up with this mindset.

That, and I get the Japanese voice acting which is most of the time far better than the English. And I don't have to wait for shows to be dubbed to watch them.

And I'm a bit of a purist. I always want whatever media I consume to be as close to how it was originally intended as possible.
It really annoys me when people try to not only dub, but also localize shows. Ugh.
Yeah, fellow Norwegian here and I got the exact same view when it comes to dubs. Seeing live action shows getting dubbed is the worst, but take Pokemon as an example. That has some of the worst dubbing I've ever seen. It makes the English dub seem fantastic!
I haven´t watched Pokemon since I was too young to notice the horrible dubbing. I wouldn´t want to ruin it by checking it out again.

To be fair, we do a pretty good job of dubbing Disney films.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Regnes said:
Usually subs, the Japanese simply put in a lot more effort finding the right voices for their characters, while with English versions they often choose very baffling actors. Often I will still give the dub a shot before moving onto subs.
False. I used to do fansubbing, I knew people who translated the Japanese versions. They always said that the Japanese dubs are just as bad; I just wasn't noticing it because I had no idea what the hell they were saying.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jonluw said:
Yopaz said:
Jonluw said:
Subs.

I haven´t watched Pokemon since I was too young to notice the horrible dubbing. I wouldn´t want to ruin it by checking it out again.

To be fair, we do a pretty good job of dubbing Disney films.
I haven't checked out any recent dubs of Disney movies, but I always thought the Lion King movie and Toy Story movies had some good dubs. Oh and Shrek, even though that's not Disney.