Dubbed verse Subbed

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Considering I grew up on TV with closed captioning because that's my preference, I generally go for subtitles. With most audio, I have to go, "Wait, I didn't catch what that person said, so I don't understand what's happening now."

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
With anime I usually watch the first episode in both dub and sub before deciding which to continue with. A lot of the dubs I come across are just fine. On some occasions I even prefer them! I have no problems with a sub. After a few minutes the words just start to sink in and you don't even realise you are reading anymore.

In live action, I never watch dubs. Never.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Personally I prefer subs. Mostly cause while I can't understand Japanese you do get to hear the inflection and personality the Japanese voice actors give to the characters. A lot times it's better. For example

Kamina (TTGL): in the Japanese audio he is this manic charismatic just crazy ass character. The american dub tries but fails to capture that same since of manic energy.

Haurhi (melancholy of haruhi suzumiya): Again the same difference. Wendee Lee the american voice actor tries but can't compare to the energy of the original audio. Again it's not so much weather or not I can understand it. It's just hearing HOW something is said. *shrug* but that's me.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
bahumat42 said:
its spoiled to want to enjoy content in your native tongue?
So having a bunch of shitty voice actors doing voices they aren't even suitable for is more "enjoyable"?

Also, implying that the subs are not on your mother tongue?

bahumat42 said:
Does the same apply to literature or text heavy games, what about research journals , news, legal information.
Screw logic, let's compare entertainment to legal issues.

Also
>text heavy games usually have horrid translations or some stuff is lost in translation = bad
>research journals? Pretty much every thing is English

Anyone over highschool level research (lol) knows that everything is in English.

If you can't read English, don't bother reading scientific papers.

bahumat42 said:
Its just a case of people wanting to get the best experience possible. Not everyone has the free time to LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE, so in your world they should punished for this?

Get off your high horse :p
First, learning a new language is what everyone should do. No free time? Excuse me, but you can practice languages all the fucking day. What the hell do you think I am doing? Using a language. Watch a foreign film. You're using a language.

Second, I had to learn English. And French. And I would like to learn German.

Third, dubbing is horrible. I can't imagine why would you call it "the best experience".

I watched "alarm fur cobra 11" in German and if I had to watch it in any other language I'd blow my brains off.

Jun 5, 2010
Seanfall said:
Personally I prefer subs. Mostly cause while I can't understand Japanese you do get to hear the inflection and personality the Japanese voice actors give to the characters. A lot times it's better. For example

Kamina (TTGL): in the Japanese audio he is this manic charismatic just crazy ass character. The american dub tries but fails to capture that same since of manic energy.

Haurhi (melancholy of haruhi suzumiya): Again the same difference. Wendee Lee the american voice actor tries but can't compare to the energy of the original audio. Again it's not so much weather or not I can understand it. It's just hearing HOW something is said. *shrug* but that's me.
I have a friend with the same opinion on kamina as you. However, I really like his dubbed voice quite a bit. It was done by Kyle Herbert you know, the announcer from DBZ. Also it seems alot of people must share my opinion as Kyle won an award for his voice as Kamina.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Active Schizophrenic said:
Seanfall said:

I have a friend with the same opinion on kamina as you. However, I really like his dubbed voice quite a bit. It was done by Kyle Herbert you know, the announcer from DBZ. Also it seems alot of people must share my opinion as Kyle won an award for his voice as Kamina.
I don't think the American Dub was bad. I just liked the Japanese audio better. From what i've heard of Kyle he wasn't bad he just lacked that...crazy something that was captured in the Japanese.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Dizeazedkiller said:
elitist subfag
That's a thing? Oh. I guess I have to be one of those now.

Well, I generally prefer subs. Then again, it doesn't really bother me. I usually switch it around between episodes for a while and see which I prefer.
There are times when I totally jut watch it dubbed because... Well, either I watched it that way as a kid and I'm used to it, or I just enjoy the added auditory substance.

I generally prefer subs because dubs can just have too much samey-voices and weird translations and stuff.
Also, I always watch stuff with subtitles on even if it's in English. So I may as well just watch anime subbed.

Also, I like being able to sometimes hear Japanese voice actors. That's nice.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
For me it usually comes down to what I listen to first, and if english first, the quality of the dubbed voices.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
TestECull said:
Dubs. If it's not in English I can't pay attention to it, thusly ruining the enjoyment.
This! I often find the japanese voices a bit.. Annoying.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Not a fan of subs. If I was going to watch something in a language I don't understand and just stare at the bottom two inches of the screen, I might as well be reading a novel or watching a silent movie. There's nothing wrong with either of those, but modern film is meant to be both visual and auditory in its' delivery and I find myself deprived of both in that instance.

Besides, Japanese casting directors seem to cast 12 year olds in half of all their roles and all those high-pitched voiced tend to grate on me after awhile.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Yeah, I didn't read a word of anything on any page. Apologies if I retread other people's words.

The two word refutation to subbed > dubbed: Cowboy Bebop.

Actually, Samurai Champloo was given a superb dub, too. And I just KNOW there are scads - scads, I say! - of anime fans who started out on the likes of Evangelion, Pokemon, and whatever was playing on Cartoon Network. Okay, so Pokemon didn't have the best translations ever. Calling rice balls donuts made zero sense, but we also got the line, "I'll use my frying pan as a drying pan!" so it evens out.
I don't care who you are, the dubbed Akira kicks ass. Yu-Yu Hakusho... Lupin III... There are loads of excellent dubs.

That said, there ARE certain shows that I most enjoy in the original Japanese, provided the subs are adapted translations, so the speech doesn't sound stilted and wooden. One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, for instance. And... um... okay, those are the only ones I can think of off-hand.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
bahumat42 said:
Your inherently implying all dubs are bad, ignoring places where they are better (see baccano!) many are satisfactory/good (black lagoon, fma , bleach, death note).
Anime has lot of crappy and good dubs so I can't comment on that.

bahumat42 said:
And reading=/= listening, the form is SUPPOSED to be heard and seen, not read,
I listen, watch and read at the same time.

I have to get something from the fridge. Listen to English. Aircraft makes a lot pass (sometimes airliners, emergency helicopters and F-16s woosh a few hundred feet above my building's roof) I read the subtitles.

It also brings the translation Nazi in me that calls every misinterpretation.

bahumat42 said:
And no not all research journals are in english. Sure a lot are, but most certainly not all.
Don't try to hide the sun.

We all know that publications that matter are in English. If you want first hand knowledge you read English.

The Americans write in English, the Danish write in English, the French write in English, the Chinese write in English and the Japanese write in English.

I personally hate translated publications, I professionally hate people who ignore the industry standards.

bahumat42 said:
What? people can learn language all day?
Hyperbole.

bahumat42 said:
What kind of insular world do you live in that you don't realise that people have things to do.
If people have things to do, why are they watching movies/series?

bahumat42 said:
What little time i do have to myself im not going to waste on something that doesn't help me. Strangely enough people do a leisure activity FOR LEISURE.
>implying learning can't be leisure
>implying learning a language won't help you

Learning languages is supposed to prevent mental aging. Now that... if definitely help.

bahumat42 said:
Which is not the same as any action heavy anime. From one peice to bleach they ramble on while shit blows up and flies around at stupid speed you want me to enjoy all that or stop and look at yellow writing at the bottom of the screen.

Im fairly certain the artists would want you watching the action.
>implying I can't watch anime while reading the subs (get a smaller screen if you can't see both)

I watched GITS and I while the dubs were good I wished I had subtitles.

Sometimes what they said was hard to keep track of and other times music/sound effects drowned the voices and I couldn't understand a single word.

And you're the one derping. You can't see outside your view of the world because you have learnt English. Big deal!

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I prefer dubs. Mostly it's a suspension of disbelief thing. Example: In Baccano, there is no way I'm going to believe that angry New Yorkers are ALL speaking fluent Japanese. Other times it's because subtitles give me headaches. And not just in anime either. Inglorious Basterds anyone?

But I have run into a dub I hated (speaking as someone who watched Elfen Lied dubbed). It was The Count of Monte Cristo. I didn't get the French accents I wanted in that show. So subbed it was!

EDIT: Oh, and I have a better time differentiating between English voices than Japanese ones for when people are talking off-screen (as Honey and Clover taught me).

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Dubs have gotten much better in recent years. Sometimes a series is so bad you have to watch it in japanese, but if you're an elitist prick about it you need to go take a long look at your life.

Dubs are sometimes good

(For instance I cannot even begin to watch Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese. They sound like girls okay, As brilliant as Romi Paku is that does not sound like a 16 year old male no matter how tightly you block your ears and go 'alalalalala'. And it's one of the few roles I don't think Vic Mignogna was mis-cast in because of his popularity, he works for Ed. Quite well. My own opinions of the guy withstanding, he brings that particular character to life perfectly.)

Anyway my bottom line is:

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
It depends on the anime or film.

If its a foreign film I will always watch it subbed. The dubs for almost all foreign films suck, at least I believe so.

However, on the topic of anime it depends on the anime and the quality of the dubs, if they suck I will watch sub and visa versa and if the anime is only subbed then I don't mind at all! :)