Duke Nukem Forever Multiplayer Exchanges Flags for "Babes"

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Father Time said:
HentMas said:
The babe will sometimes freak out, and players have to give her a "reassuring slap," which is "more goofy than offensive"
humm... would it be too ofensive if the "mother Base" was a Kitchen and the Duke after setting the babe down, slapped her ass and told her to "go make me a sandwich"??

I think the game is going to be hilarious, but that sentence made me raise an eyebrow

beating women??, seriously??
An airplane style slap, followed by "pull yourself together"/"get a hold of yourself" isn't beating anyone (and it sounds like that's what they're aiming for)
i was
just expressing concern, i have no idea how they are goin to take care of that, but that sentence is not reasuring of anything, thats why i "raised" my eyebrow

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
this isnt my name said:
well that was funny when I was young, but I am 17
i´m 25 and i find all those thigs funny, i´m not going to say "I´m too old for that kind of humor" because anyone can like any kind of humor, no matter age, is a matter of taste, not maturity, and not laughing at those kinds of jokes doesnt make you smarter, it just shows you have a different kind of sense of humor.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
Feminazis can suck my dick.
(the slap isn't a good idea, if anything he should spank)
Im buying this game no matter what.
Yes, cause having respect for women is such a feminazi thing... :\

I seriously can't believe some of you guys.
Half the crap on TV today doesn't respect men. When will people like you learn that its fun for men to tease women and its fun for women to tease men.
The door swings both ways
Agreed here, I have a coloured friend who makes more coloured jokes than anyone I know. No-one is above a joke made by someone else, and if everyone can both give and take a joke, then no-one gets hurt and everyone gets a laugh.

Yes, this is going a bit far, but I have seen worse... And the first 10 or so spanks will be hilarious I'm sure.
^ exactly
In GTA you can beat hookers to death with a baseball bat, how the hell is this any worse?

Nov 5, 2007
JWAN said:
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:

Half the crap on TV today doesn't respect men. When will people like you learn that its fun for men to tease women and its fun for women to tease men.
Agreed here, I have a coloured friend who makes more coloured jokes than anyone I know. No-one is above a joke made by someone else, and if everyone can both give and take a joke, then no-one gets hurt and everyone gets a laugh.

Yes, this is going a bit far, but I have seen worse... And the first 10 or so spanks will be hilarious I'm sure.
^ exactly
In GTA you can beat hookers to death with a baseball bat, how the hell is this any worse?
Because beating a hooker in GTA is optional and not forced by the game. The ass slapping is a mechanic inherent to the play mode.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:

^ exactly
Because beating a hooker in GTA is optional and not forced by the game. The ass slapping is a mechanic inherent to the play mode.
certainly you dont need to play that game-mode.

Nov 5, 2007
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:

^ exactly
True, but that doesn't invalidate my criticism at this particular mode.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:

^ exactly
True, but that doesn't invalidate my criticism at this particular mode.
The ass slap is also completely optional by not playing that game mode as is attacking hookers in GTA is also optional unless you choose to do that mission. Weather it be a mission or a game mode you can choose not to play it or not to choose the mission. Its the same thing only in DNF you will have to go through the title screen and select the game mode so in that case you dont even need to run into it in the regular game whereas in GTA you can accidentally run into a crowd of people and indescriminantly mow them down in magical gouts of blood.
In neither game do you NEED to beat/harass women. You dont need to play that mode at all. IF you dont want to you dont have to. Its similar to the MW2 complaints about people going through the airport and shooting people. You dont need to hold down the trigger.
At the end of the day its a computer game with less violence/ crudeness than your average rated program on TV.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
poiumty said:
The babe will sometimes freak out, and players have to give her a "reassuring slap,"
Pffffhahahahahahahahaha

The only way to make it better is call the home base "kitchen".

For you sir,
I can see a fox news report on this very soon.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
ssManae said:
Wasn't this exactly how the Postal 2 CTF worked? With the exception of the slap, at least.
"Snatch", yes. And you can still play it. You can even download the software for free, nowadays.

http://www.runningwithscissors.com/games/free-postal-2-downloads

I knew Postal 2 was a groundbreaking game. I'd love to hear Steve Butts' opinion on it.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Fun Side of Brain: That's hilarious, good example of how ridiculous a game can be in order to have fun.

Serious Side of Brain: That's sexist, good example of why gamers are thought of as immature.

Zookz

Jun 8, 2010
I'm honestly surprised that so many people are upset about Duke slapping a babe in the ass to reassure her that she'll be safe from the other team shooting at her? Or that people actually thought that Duke, the guy whole risks his life all the time to save babes, would actually slap them in the face?

I have a feeling that anyone who gets upset about this knows nothing at all about the Duke or the Duke-averse. In Duke's world, a slap to the ass from duke is pretty much the most assuring thing she could get while being hunted by aliens. In the Duke-averse, Duke loves the babes, and the babes love Duke, it's as simple as that.

I know, it doesn't make it less offensive, but the Overly Long Gag [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongGag] is the essence of what Duke is. Taking him as anything more than a running joke means you're doing it wrong, very, very wrong!

The news will still rip him a new one, and it may even set video games back a bit, but seriously? He's a joke, and always has been; that's the entire point. Being angered by him is about as bad as being angered by a troll, or taking Chuck Norris jokes in the literal.

Play the game if you want to have that old juvenile enjoyment you get out of "that's what she said" style jokes, but never take those, or the Duke, seriously; you're only making a fool of yourself doing so.

hyperlasers

Nov 12, 2009
The chauvinism isn't the part of this whole thing that stands out most in my mind.

Instead, I'm just picturing a bunch of guys ages 7-47 sitting around TVs and "capturing babes" instead of talking to real women. And sure, I've spent years and years being guilty of that sort of thing. But this might go too far. Actually calling a game "capture the babe" sounds to me like a serious cry for help.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
This is the kind of thing I would have found hilarious... and then I turned fourteen. Twenty-three years ago.

Oct 30, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
IronicBeet said:
ShadowKirby said:
NAHTZEE said:
krychek57 said:
NAHTZEE said:
thaluikhain said:
So...you kidnap women and slap them if they get annoying?

*headdesk*
i think its applied to the bum not the face.....
I would have thought this was a "No Shit Sherlock" moment for some.
seems that I was wrong.

Edit: http://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/49884569175994368 needs more love
thats what most people are ignoring
That doesn't really make it any better. Slapping a girl on the ass to "calm her down" while you save (or kidnap or whatever) her is far from cool. It's actually pretty crass.

At some point, you have to wonder where the joke ends and the bad taste begins.
So what you're saying is it's better to let her freak out, run away and get abducted by the horrifying aliens you're fighting against?
Maybe it's better to treat her like an actual human being, with a whole range of emotions and responses, rather than a simple, over-sexualised object.

If the only way to get a mechanic to work is to discriminate against the other sex, maybe it's time to wonder of that mechanic should be in the game.
Is it necessarily discrimination. I think it is closer to "this is what Duke Nukem babes are like," instead of "this is what women are like." Maybe it isn't a case of the babe being a simple object because she is a woman, but because she is an object. If there is no pretext of her being an actual being, but just an aspect/projection does she still need to act like an actual person?

I dunno, maybe I'm making a false distinction.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
What bothers me in particular is the 'Carte Blanche' factor.

Whenever people object to the gross chauvinism inherent to Duke Nukem's identity, they're met with 'Oh, you just don't understand Duke and the Duke universe. It's not offensive, it's funny'. This is exactly the problem. Sometimes, it just stops being funny. Sometimes, it just stops being satire and starts being openly awful. How much can a game/movie/series whatever get away with based solely on the 'Oh, it's just a laugh' factor?

I'm not trying to suggest there's some sort of anti-feminist, pro chauvinist conspiracy going on here. I just think that stuff like Duke Nukem shouldn't be allowed to get away with progressively more insulting themes just because it appeals to a fourteen-year old mentality that will shortly start wondering why it has such trouble attracting girls.