Duke Nukem Forever Multiplayer Exchanges Flags for "Babes"

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Oh Duke Nukem you dog you!

Wasn't there something like this in Postal 2, where you had to liberate prostitutes from the enemy team and bring them back to a heart shaped bed?

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
IronicBeet said:
ShadowKirby said:
NAHTZEE said:
krychek57 said:
NAHTZEE said:
thaluikhain said:
So...you kidnap women and slap them if they get annoying?

*headdesk*
i think its applied to the bum not the face.....
I would have thought this was a "No Shit Sherlock" moment for some.
seems that I was wrong.

Edit: http://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/49884569175994368 needs more love
thats what most people are ignoring
That doesn't really make it any better. Slapping a girl on the ass to "calm her down" while you save (or kidnap or whatever) her is far from cool. It's actually pretty crass.

At some point, you have to wonder where the joke ends and the bad taste begins.
So what you're saying is it's better to let her freak out, run away and get abducted by the horrifying aliens you're fighting against?
Maybe it's better to treat her like an actual human being, with a whole range of emotions and responses, rather than a simple, over-sexualised object.

If the only way to get a mechanic to work is to discriminate against the other sex, maybe it's time to wonder of that mechanic should be in the game.
...Are we still talking about the replacement for a flag in a Capture the X mode?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If Duke Nukem offends you. Go away, re-evaluate your life, and take some pills. Because you are an idiot.
Duke is not a serious game. Its entire point is over-the-top. There are far more sexist things out there...like that Microsoft PC future vid thats featured on this site at the moment.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well this is going to very, very fun. Personally the slaps are fine in my book, but hey! Everyone has different values and morals.

MrDeckard said:
I see it as less of an offensive "Shut up Ho!" and more of calm down.

Like this!

That is hilarious xD. Thanks man.

xXxJessicaxXx said:
danpascooch said:
I get it's all a big joke, but even I think "reassuring slap" is going too far
Yeah I hope it's not to her face that's going a bit far in my opnion. Apart from that it's pretty chuckleworthy
Face? I'm already betting it's an ass-tap or maybe higher >.> Duke respects woman...in his own special way but in no way do the games some how promote hurting them. Hell I'm sure if you killed the strippers more enemies came out in 3D.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh and I also have to predict that it's going to get either terrible or terrific reviews. Terrible reviews will probably be shrouded by complaints exaggerated whereas they're really trying to be politically correct.

However some reviewers hopefully give it a good review even if it has 'questionable' material. It's a chance for gaming to shine or be shunned.

Just my 2cents >.>

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
JWAN said:
brandon237 said:
JWAN said:
ShadowKirby said:
JWAN said:
Feminazis can suck my dick.
(the slap isn't a good idea, if anything he should spank)
Im buying this game no matter what.
Yes, cause having respect for women is such a feminazi thing... :\

I seriously can't believe some of you guys.
Half the crap on TV today doesn't respect men. When will people like you learn that its fun for men to tease women and its fun for women to tease men.
The door swings both ways
Agreed here, I have a coloured friend who makes more coloured jokes than anyone I know. No-one is above a joke made by someone else, and if everyone can both give and take a joke, then no-one gets hurt and everyone gets a laugh.

Yes, this is going a bit far, but I have seen worse... And the first 10 or so spanks will be hilarious I'm sure.
^ exactly
In GTA you can beat hookers to death with a baseball bat, how the hell is this any worse?
A mildly sexual reference is much better than a blatantly abusive and violent one in my opinion, so if that managed to fly, then so should this ^^

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
justnotcricket said:
What bothers me in particular is the 'Carte Blanche' factor.

Whenever people object to the gross chauvinism inherent to Duke Nukem's identity, they're met with 'Oh, you just don't understand Duke and the Duke universe. It's not offensive, it's funny'. This is exactly the problem. Sometimes, it just stops being funny. Sometimes, it just stops being satire and starts being openly awful. How much can a game/movie/series whatever get away with based solely on the 'Oh, it's just a laugh' factor?

I'm not trying to suggest there's some sort of anti-feminist, pro chauvinist conspiracy going on here. I just think that stuff like Duke Nukem shouldn't be allowed to get away with progressively more insulting themes just because it appeals to a fourteen-year old mentality that will shortly start wondering why it has such trouble attracting girls.
Stereotypes are used so often in comedy because they're funny. I'm sure there aren't any ridiculous pro-chauvanist, anti-feminism freaks at Gearbox, but Duke's a funny character because of how ridiculously, unrealistically chauvanist HE is.
It's ludicrous, it's surreal, it's everything good comedy is built on. A badass chauvanist chomping on a cigar kicking alien Pigcops in the face with his boot. Come the fuck on... Be serious, you're extracting issues about morality and taste from this? I hope to God you've never seen a Troma movie... You'd have a field day with them.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Saviordd1 said:
This game is a step back in the "gaming isnt a childs toy" argument
I think the real point is that not all games are art, and many games are toys. This game is most certainly aiming to be a toy, to be fun; through its own self-parody and light-hearted nature it undermines the non-politically correct and potentially sexist nature of its content. That's kinda the point of the Duke.
And the beauty of it is, how can you really say that what Duke goes for is not an art in itself?
The Zucker brothers and other directors of their ilk certainly made slapstick and parody an artform in the medium of film, why not stuff like Duke and Postal for gaming?

Edit: Sorry for triple post

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sounds like fun! Sure, that slap sounds a bit weird and the feminist rage will destroy the world, but it's Duke Nukem!! A true return, I salute you!

But only 4 game modes? That's weak! I want weapon special modes!! I want to only use fists or only freeze rays!

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
acer840 said:
For the love of all that is gaming, I really hope this gets past the Australian classification board. Please, Australian OFLC, let us have this one?
It already got past, believe it or not. Unscathed. After reading about this, I'm particularly amazed.

Pick it up before the media shit storm and the eventual banning.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Wait people think that the game developers are stooping this low to generate controversy?

I thought Duke was ALWAYS about this sort of stuff 0.o

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Maraveno said:
Tom Goldman said:
Capture the Babe is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of a flag, players have to pick up a "babe" and bring her back to the home base. The babe will sometimes freak out, and players have to give her a "reassuring slap," which is "more goofy than offensive" according to OXM. Hail to the King wasn't detailed, but is apparently a "King of the Hill" mode.
Gears of War 2 much?
That's just Meatflag or whatever it was called but then replacing the stranded guy with a babe , so far originality

[sub] Concerned Esisa?[/sub]

Yeah....capture the flag has been in fps for years.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
As a girl who loves the over-the-top awesome of Duke Nukem games, the best I can say to the 'Capture the Babe' is... at least it's different. I'm sick of standard FPSs at present.

Hey, even I'd try it at least once.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
If there's something i learned from The Church of the Holy Duke is that when a ***** gives you lip or freaks out you have to give her a reassuring slap to let her know you're in charge and will fix the problem.

Also i agree with the poster who said the joke would be even funnier if the home base was called kitchen XD

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
mannaroth said:
hehe Duke Nukem is so silly.
You are absolutely right. Duke Nukem is SILLY! Let's look at it this way. The primary reason people won't like it? CHILDREN. And why are people concerned about children playing such games as Duke Nukem is that kids learn by mimicry. Now let's look at it like this:
Parents don't want their kids playing these games. Don't buy it for your kid, or if your kid buys it, take it away or whatever. Don't protest the release of the game in the first place.
Morons (fox) don't want people playing the game at all? Adults (believe it or not) do NOT learn by mimicry. In fact, adults don't learn very easily (Source: I did year 12 psychology), through any form of media.

Simple solution? DON'T LET KIDS PLAY THE GAME. SLAP AN R OR AO OR WHATEVER ON IT. Parents, don't buy the game! Seriously, nearly every "game related crime" the parents either buy the wildly inappropriate game (let's say GTA 4 for a five year old) or just completely turn a blind eye when the kid plays it. Now, this wouldn't be so bad if when the kid starts mimicking behaviour, which can happen in rare circumstances, especially in children below the age of 10, they turn around and blame the developers! Not the kid that plays it to much, not themselves for letting the kid play it, not the store that didn't tell them that GTA 4 has murder and such other activities, but the developers.

I got off on a rant so let me finish with my personal views on the Duke Nukem Franchise...

WOOOOOOOOO! DUUUUUUUKE! CAPTURE THAT BABE! DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE!
I've been waiting for DNF for a while, I'm glad it's out. I'm so getting the balls of steel edition.