Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews - UPDATED

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Okay, so you're getting angry because people don't like DNF? Well, too bad, I guess they don't like DNF. I like it at least, and therefore I shall probably become "that immature idiot who actually liked Duke Nukem Forever OMG WUT A LOOSUR" on this site.
It's immature, mindless, stupid fun, and if you expect anything else from it, of course you're going to hate it. However, I will agree that this is not a game that would take 12 years to make.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
No, you cannot do that. That's not how reality works! You can't provide us with something that is inherently flawed and shitty and then expect us not to tell everyone that what we got wasn't in the slightest up to par with what we wanted.
You can't just say that reviews are mean and tell them to stop, you provided us with a product and we have every right to tell you, on a subjective, personal basis, what we think of it. Execessive cursing notwithstanding.

I honestly don't find Duke to be all that horrible, it's just not good enough. Barely entertaining and quite juvenile and I'd rather play Painkiller or Serious Sam over it, but not totally garbage. That said, expecting people who are professionals and paid for to review your game to shut up about anything not stellar and perfect is delusional.
But I suppose, being rash and emotional can be an excuse, we've all done some rather odd things out of a sudden feeling of being attacked personally.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i think anyone who gave the game a 2 (Jim Sterling) has never truly played a game that DESERVED a 2. hopefully they never have to

DNF is not a fantastic game, but it certainly isnt worse than a 5.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
I swear I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't surprised this game was shit. It was a project that should have died when it's joke of a dev team did.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Daveman said:
I dunno, I haven't played it but can it really be THAT bad? I've heard some seriously savage stuff about the game, including the escapists review. I'm thinking I'll just rent it rather than buy it this time.
I've played it a little.

It's fun, in the same way a match on blood gulch with 15 of your freinds was. ("HOLY SHIT FIF YOU JUST SEE THAT", jokingly cursing at each other, etc).

The issue is that it's mindless fun. In the same way that watching the Micheal bay transfomrers movies is fun if you skip over the human parts. It's all entertainment.

I'd buy it, because it's worth it just for the laughs and to say that you own it, and because gearbox deserves the cash, they are a great dev team that intereacts with their fans.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
KalosCast said:
I swear I'm the only person on the planet who wasn't surprised this game was shit. It was a project that should have died when it's joke of a dev team did.
Nope, I saw it coming too. What else could you expect from a game that died half-finished only to be completed by a different development team?

What strikes me as funny is while Russ Pitts basically tore it apart, the site has banners advertising the game on the sides of the screen. Not that this makes the Escapist bad, but it's amusing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Eh. If I was a reviewer, I'd have probably considered the thread that this guy wasn't going to send me more crappy games to be a blessing.

At least 2K did the right thing to avoid the PR nightmare.

KalosCast said:
I never expected this game to be good either. I was still surprised by how bad it actually was, though.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
"2K Games does not endorse the comments made by Jim Redner and we can confirm that The Redner Group no longer represents our products," 2K said in a statement. "We have always maintained a mutually-respectful working relationship with the press and do not condone his actions in any way."

I do not like overly harsh penalties for mistakes, at least assuming the person doesn't have a blithe attitude towards their mistakes. If someone screws up but learns from it and improves they're worth holding on to. However I don't think it is at all unreasonable for 2K to give them the boot. Redner really screwed up and letting them go seems quite appropriate. Hopefully the firm will learn from this mistake, but there are times people screw up badly enough that you just can't continue your association with them.

Landis963

May 23, 2011
hehehehehehhehhehehehe... Idiot. OK kids, this is why you delete the first draft of a letter/e-mail/what have you and send the second draft.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Perhaps fitting that a juvenile game (going by this here sites "10 things we'd love about DNF if we were 12" video) should be met with a juvenile response from the PR agency.

Well, I really can't think of any oher way to flesh this post out. Guess I'm pretty much out of things to say about DNF now...

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Take a look at the situation from the other side of the fence:

You are a company producing video games (not Gearbox,Ea Activision etc -just anyone).
You spent a whole lot of money on prducing a video game. You got a studio of annoying people that all tell you that their work is more important then the others, that they need more time and that they just CANT get it done until the day you all agreed on at that fatefull kick-off meeting.

You did your best in herding the proverbial catfarm and hope that whatever your creative minds made will be just good enough to please the fans of the series who are desperate to get their hands on the much much delayed game. Inside you KNOW that there are faults with the product, that it hasn't had the attention it needed and mistakes where made here and there - but there simply isn't any money left in the budget and you HAVE to get it out, or tell your kids that you don't have a job anymore.

So you give it gold-status, publish it and wait for the first feedback.
You know it won't be all positive,but hope for the best.
And then the proverbial Shytestorm comes. Every Youtuber and self proclaimed Experts tears it appart and smears it with their abuse. Some give voice legitimate complaints, some stay with the facts - some even offer ways to improve any future product.
But then there are those that get abusive, dismissive and mock you and your team for beeing idiots for producing garbage. Worst of all are those that simply don't get it. Who rate it poorly because they overlooked some setting, have some obscure hardware driver that causes problems or who are just too darn stupid to figure out how to read your tutorial.

Until the point where you watch your sales plummet into oblivion you propably take it in stride, because you know that you could have done a better job under different circumstances. And then you analyze the numbers - and figure that you might face bancrupcy because the collective exercise of the internet in "who can flame your game the loudest" generated more bad press then all your efforts in promoting the game ever could.

Now back into your own seats - Is it REALLY ok for internet REVIEWERS to get abusive about a game, or don't they have some responsibility to stay professional in how they voice their oppinion ?