Duke Nukem Originally Had a Gay Robot Sidekick

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Escapist.

You linked to TVtropes.

So many hours will be wasted thanks to this news item.

On topic: I think it could work depending on exactly how they deal with it. Something like this being dealt with very seriously would feel somewhat out of place right next to Duke being a complete misogynist and flinging feces around, but if the topic was actually dealt with with the same level of seriousness that Duke is it could work pretty well.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the only way i can see this work is if duke doesn't comment on the robots sexuality.
Except to high-five him whenever they meet up again and duke comes out of a room full of awestruck women the bot comes out of a room full of awe-struck men.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw man, too bad they removed it! That would have been hilarious! (And they would and should have played it for laughs! Imagine it, a dry British style gay robot accompanying Duke!)
CannibalRobots said:
Honestly, I think Duke is secure enough with his sexuality to not care at all if his robot sidekick is gay or not.
Oh please, he's obviously overcompensating!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Genuine Evil said:
EDIT: ninjas everywhere

I would have link the youtube vid from the one movie, but felt that was too meme-ish...

Anyways, I actually find the idea interesting, and if it could be pulled off as anything but one big gay joke, that would have been doubly awesome.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I can see Duke actually cheering a homosexual along for chasing the guys. Just as long as they didn't chase Duke. He's all for the chicks.
WaaghPowa said:
First thing I thought of when I read gay robot was Caboose from RvB calling Church a gay robot...

ARGH! This is exactly what ran through my mind, too!
But this raises the question, who would win in a fight between Tex* and Duke?
[sub]*:Minus that little factor of Tex's handicap of always losing.[/sub]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
that could have been a pretty funny team up, but you cant kill the gay robot, there is too much of a trope with that, maybe constantly make it seem like your going to kill it or something but dont have duke have to rescue it everytime because if he does then it just becomes an annoyance

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Did he had a Big Gay Dance? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hvqTSCg-g&feature=related]

Then he's not gay.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I just don't know why Duke would ever need a sidekick.

I can't believe no one else feels this way.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
First of all, yes I understand that gays are treated very intolerantly in many places (I live in the American southeast, so trust me I know). It angers me when people try to take someone's sexuality and extrapolate it into saying they are a bad person. But on the other hand, take a joke people. Isn't the whole Duke Nukem franchise a giant parody of heterosexuality? I think there's a definite line between 'Making a joke about a homosexual character' and 'Being offensively homophobic'; that line is, for me, when the ONLY joke is about said gay character. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but this is ridiculous. You're saying it's okay to have a game where the main character punching aliens in the nads and, not to mention, is in fact chauvinistic caricature Duke Nukem, but taking a jab at gay people is the 'offensive' thing. It's this exact kind of thing that creates resentment between sexualities, putting barriers between them. In a truly tolerant society, we'd be able to put all sexualities into the category of 'Love, Reproduction, Lust, et. al.' But instead, we put iron curtains between them, saying homosexuals are 'different' and 'special' and other such nonsense. That's just as homophobic as calling someone a ******. Trust me, we're all in this life together. Splitting up into little groups and calling for preferential treatment isn't helping anyone.

TL;DR: If Duke Nukem Forever can take the piss out of heterosexuality, it can take the piss out of homosexuality too without being called intolerant.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I think this would have been good. Fox news would have a field day, but everyone else would totally be cool with it.
Although I'd be a little bit upset if the sidekick didn't make occasional jokes and such about his sexuality. We have a sassy gay kid in Bio class, and he always has the best jokes.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Wouldn't treating the gay robot with utter sincerity have been the best counter balance for cartonnish maxi-man that is The Duke?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Any gay character in a Duke game was gonna be non stop stereotypes, which would have pissed off the gay community, FOX would have said that it was promoting gay culture to the chitlins and ruining society, that's aside from promoting treating women as sexual objects and of course, rape.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
He even starts the game (or the game's demo, actually) getting oral sex from two schoolgirls.
May I suggest that you change that to "Two ladies dressed as schoolgirls" before Gearbox's lawyers descend?

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I strongly believe that homosexuals are, as all of us, humans who should have the right to be in any relationship they want with whoever they want without being judged and looked down upon by society, or worse, outlawed and persecuted. It is their own choice and we should all be mature enough to respect that and sit down at a table and resolve our differences (if any) with diplomacy and calm.

That being said, don't you put no gays in my Duke Nukem!!!