Duke Nukem Originally Had a Gay Robot Sidekick

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Azex said:
duke is so manly he gives off an aura that makes all those around him just a little gay by comparison
this...
WaaghPowa said:
First thing I thought of when I read gay robot was Caboose from RvB calling Church a gay robot...

and this...

LOL

but seriously I think it's pretty interesting. I mean the Duke is pretty offensive in general, but only to people who get overly sensitive; be that the feminists who've already or...idk how the gay community will react but then again they got their...um, they got MAD when Kobe Bryant used ...uh, you know (like every other gamer playing online). but it's whatever, I'm just waiting to see the game and how it plays out. that's most important, and if it's fun and enjoyable and totally worth it, then it's all whatever idc

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Not like I didn't have enough reasons to not care about Duke Nukem, but hey, one more for the list.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I can see Duke actually cheering a homosexual along for chasing the guys. Just as long as they didn't chase Duke. He's all for the chicks.
WaaghPowa said:
First thing I thought of when I read gay robot was Caboose from RvB calling Church a gay robot...

ARGH! This is exactly what ran through my mind, too!
But this raises the question, who would win in a fight between Tex* and Duke?
[sub]*:Minus that little factor of Tex's handicap of always losing.[/sub]
[sub]Sorry, but that little factor still count's. Maybe if she went into the battle trying to lose?[/sub]

OT: Huh. Well that would be a weird thing to put into the game. How would the robot be gay? It is programmed for affection or something? I'll just stick with the alien pig monsters and human shrinking thanks.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I really, REALLY hope this makes it into the final game.

When will people realise that being able to make jokes about a stereotype (especially in a game that is supposed to be taken about as seriously as a clown running for president) actually PROMOTES tolerance, by using casual laughter to negate any sense of malice in that stereotype.

Honestly, the idea that Duke Nukem, a character who is designed to be over the top macho in every single respect, being secure and progressive enough to have an openly gay sidekick would be a legitimate example of maturity that gamers could hold up for the whole world to see (even if the rest of the game is the complete opposite).

No, you see, jokes on the gay stereotype are good for tolerance and such when done in the correct context, in a manner where it's not only the stereotype that is ridiculized, but the simple existance of such stereotypes. Personally, I can't stand the comedy done around the stereotype of the flaming fag that jumps around like a happy butterfly, unless it's done correctly and it very rarely is. As far as I recall, the aussie film "He died with a felafel in his hand" is the only one that succeeded to the 100% in that satire, where the flamboyant character was in a permanent victim mode accusing everyone of being an "opressive hetero-fascist" and hanged posters of bulky men all around the house to make his sexuality obvious.

Now, as a gay dude myself, I do find it a little offensive when the joke is done from the macho mentality, probably many of the people who will buy this game are teenage bullies that are not exactly conscious of the whole stereotype concept as you are. I don't think these kind of people are being exposed to such jokes is the best idea, particularly in a context where they are bound to take Duke seriously. Yes, because that happens, not everyone is able to understand it in such way, and Duke isn't exactly high comedy, is it?

I'm all for the jokes, but I don't think the Duke mentality is the correct perspective for them.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing this. They'd have to treat it very carefully or it could be massively offensive in such a context. But I could definitely see it being a good counterbalance to Duke,

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
I was going to say "Duke was getting a gay Claptrap?" then the redundancy dawned on me.

And I just know Duke was going to walk around making "plug" jokes.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Cheshire said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I really, REALLY hope this makes it into the final game.

When will people realise that being able to make jokes about a stereotype (especially in a game that is supposed to be taken about as seriously as a clown running for president) actually PROMOTES tolerance, by using casual laughter to negate any sense of malice in that stereotype.

Honestly, the idea that Duke Nukem, a character who is designed to be over the top macho in every single respect, being secure and progressive enough to have an openly gay sidekick would be a legitimate example of maturity that gamers could hold up for the whole world to see (even if the rest of the game is the complete opposite).

No, you see, jokes on the gay stereotype are good for tolerance and such when done in the correct context, in a manner where it's not only the stereotype that is ridiculized, but the simple existance of such stereotypes. Personally, I can't stand the comedy done around the stereotype of the flaming fag that jumps around like a happy butterfly, unless it's done correctly and it very rarely is. As far as I recall, the aussie film "He died with a felafel in his hand" is the only one that succeeded to the 100% in that satire, where the flamboyant character was in a permanent victim mode accusing everyone of being an "opressive hetero-fascist" and hanged posters of bulky men all around the house to make his sexuality obvious.

Now, as a gay dude myself, I do find it a little offensive when the joke is done from the macho mentality, probably many of the people who will buy this game are teenage bullies that are not exactly conscious of the whole stereotype concept as you are. I don't think these kind of people are being exposed to such jokes is the best idea, particularly in a context where they are bound to take Duke seriously. Yes, because that happens, not everyone is able to understand it in such way, and Duke isn't exactly high comedy, is it?

I'm all for the jokes, but I don't think the Duke mentality is the correct perspective for them.
Ah, but you see, Duke Nukem is perfect for this kind of satire. The Duke in himself is satire, a walking joke of the OTT macho action man from the Stallone & Co era. A double act of him and a sidekick that is over the top camp would be hilarious if done properly, and it would be so SO easy to do it properly. All you have to do is properly characterise him and make sure the sidekick gives as good as he gets, making fun of the Duke just as much as he gets made fun of himself. And if you make the relationship between them a particularly strong one (only made stronger by the amount they take the piss out of one another) it would be one giant F-U to any homophobes actually playing the game. It would be saying, "See this guy, the very pinicle of masculinity that you try and conform to every day in your life? See who his best friend is? That's right, a gay guy! Who's helping him save the world? A gay guy! Not only does he kick ass and chew bubble gum, he also stands for gay rights. So stick that in your gay-hating pipe and smoke it douchebags!"

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I think it could work but I could also see it failing very hard if they didn't put the effort in.. and even then they'd probably still get shit from the Media.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Ah, but you see, Duke Nukem is perfect for this kind of satire. The Duke in himself is satire, a walking joke of the OTT macho action man from the Stallone & Co era. A double act of him and a sidekick that is over the top camp would be hilarious if done properly, and it would be so SO easy to do it properly. All you have to do is properly characterise him and make sure the sidekick gives as good as he gets, making fun of the Duke just as much as he gets made fun of himself. And if you make the relationship between them a particularly strong one (only made stronger by the amount they take the piss out of one another) it would be one giant F-U to any homophobes actually playing the game. It would be saying, "See this guy, the very pinicle of masculinity that you try and conform to every day in your life? See who his best friend is? That's right, a gay guy! Who's helping him save the world? A gay guy! Not only does he kick ass and chew bubble gum, he also stands for gay rights. So stick that in your gay-hating pipe and smoke it douchebags!"
Maybe you have a point, I dunno, I do remember one of the bullies at my school was a little over obsessed with Duke Nukem 3D. The way you put it, it sounds OK, then again I am not entirely sure on the tone this game is taking. It looks like some gross sense of humour, the kind of thing revolving around penis jokes and steroids, then again, until the game doesn't come out it's hard for me to see how far the parody goes. But yes, I suppose that, if done in the way you put it, it could work well.

However, if done in the way the robot is some flaming homo that is being presented continually as an inferior to Duke's supermuscles, or to say it another way, if it's only to become a gay-joke punching bag, um... I wouldn't like that.

But anyway, as far as gay characters go in videogames, they're generally not that bad. Rockstar's Gay Tony was actually quite a charming fellow albeit a little flamboyant. The one in Persona 3 looks fine too...however, I remember a friend showed me Enchanted Arms, with that butterfly fag called Makoto, now see, that was kind of offensive, specially since the character didn't even seem like a parody, just a very cliched outake on homosexuality. Well, he looked a little like a parody, but then again, it's a JRPG, every single character looks like a parody of itself.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Gay robot? That would be pretty funny, just for the sheer irony of it all. Out of all the people who would end up with a gay robot sidekick... Duke Nukem...
However, I thought Duke already had a sidekick. It was some chick in space armor or something, I forgot her name.